Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts mini camp day 2

CR91

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Banogus role is kind of starting out the way me and Scott Pennock were anticipating.   He stood up quite a bit at TCU, but I never really saw where they used him in coverage much to be doing a Jamie Collins type of thing. The Colts will probably use him mostly as a rusher from different spots on the line when it's all said and done.  He probably won't even get much action at LB because we've got a number of nice athletes to choose from in those spots.  Since they haven't even done much with him at LB during these sessions it also tells me they like what they are seeing from the other guys at LB.

• Thanks 1

Reoccurring theme: Odum "Starting" opposite Hooker over veterans like Farley, Kindred, Milligan and Johnson.....also over the rookie Willis.

Odum the UDFA with HUGE measurables that played linebacker at Central Arkansas at 6'1" and 200 lbs.

Just like Fountain, I'm calling my shot......Odum is a lock for this roster!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Reoccurring theme: Odum "Starting" opposite Hooker over veterans like Farley, Kindred, Milligan and Johnson.....also over the rookie Willis.

Odum the UDFA with HUGE measurables that played linebacker at Central Arkansas at 6'1" and 200 lbs.

I’ve said it over and over again not to count him out. Folks seem to believe he will get beat out by Kindred and Willis. Not too mention he was also great on special teams for us.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I expected him to make it. Ballard talks about him like he is his son. Lol. He was pretty solid last year outside a couple  boneheaded rookie mistakes. The new guys are going to have to really show something to beat out guys that we’re on the team last year.

• Like 1

» A couple plays later, the offense ran a sweep play to the right with the speedy rookie Campbell; had this been in a live game setting, Campbell likely would’ve gotten 15, 20 or even more yards on the play. By the time most of the defenders even realized what was going on, Campbell was five yards past the line of scrimmage.

https://www.colts.com/news/2019-colts-practice-notes-minicamp-day-2

• Like 2

Happy that Banogu is concentrating on DE, Okereke is someone other than MIKE, and things seem to be coming together for RYS. I think it's huge for Banogu to concentrate on technique at DE. And glad to see they are not trying to force a tweener that's better in space into a MIKE role. 

RYS is going to see a lot of time early in subpackages and will be challenging for a starting spot by mid season. If he translates to the NFL like he translated to Temple in one off season, he's going to be a big contributor sooner than later.

• Like 1

Ya-Sin's interception going up against Hogan was a true thing of beauty. The two were locked in a physical battle from the snap, and Ya-Sin was able to quickly turn around and snag the throw out of the air. Here's an interesting stat: in the now five practices the media has been able to watch in which Ya-Sin has participated this offseason, he has an interception in four of them. Good start for the rookie.

• Like 1

Wednesday's 7-on-7 drills led to some quality plays by the defense. Ya-Sin was all over Funchess, and the pass from Brissett bounced off the receiver's hands and into the waiting hands of Hooker for the interception. A few plays later, Okereke jumped an Ebron route and nearly picked off the pass attempt.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I like Odum's chances to make the roster I think....  S would seem to be Hooker, Geathers, Farley, Willis,and Odum..... Kindred, Milligan, Johnson on the outside.  

Now, I don't read much of anything into Odum "starting" in mini-camp when he's been in the system, over Geathers who is injured, over a Rookie, 3 Camp bodies, and a returning from injury Farley.

Kindred is not a camp body. He is a quality safety that played on a purous Browns team. He was decently rated coming out of TCU as well, who play good defense there as well.

Farley is running with the two's because Odum is better - not because of his injured wrist from last year.

I'll agree that Johnson and Milligan are camp bodies though.