Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
CR91

Colts mini camp day 1

Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

@CR91  Thanks for all these updates.  I was just saying it felt way too quiet this offseason new's coverage wise.  It was like I asked, you delivered!  It was like being there after a long long long day of working. 

 

You need a Colts YouTube channel! 

 

I have enough things in my life to do a youtube channel haha. Thank you for the kind words though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funchess looks good in that video running that route. I think that is what makes him a little different then Ebron. I would have to go back and look at Ebron’s  highlights but he seems to be more of a just run fast and go up and get it then a excellent route runner. Ebron is very good at blocking the defender out. I think we will be able to use funchess on the entire field.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

 

 

 

 

Two of my favorite songs

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CR91 said:

 

Talk about a decision that ended up paying off literally. I remember him coming into camp as a MLB but changed to LS so he could make the team

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw on Colts.com that Okereke is playing his snaps at WILL.

I think that makes a lot more sense than MIKE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Saw on Colts.com that Okereke is playing his snaps at WILL.

I think that makes a lot more sense than MIKE.

Leonard probably moves to MIKE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Leonard probably moves to MIKE?

No. He's there mainly because Leonard is out, although I'm sure they are grooming him to play all 3 spots.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Saw on Colts.com that Okereke is playing his snaps at WILL.

I think that makes a lot more sense than MIKE.

He can do either thing, however I do believe he played Mike at Stanford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think this will cause us to be rusty. He wil probably workout with the receivers at Stanford before training camp.

 

i thought it was interesting Reich said Hines was the third down back. Is that because of his passing ability. I thought that was interesting.  I never would of thought of Hines as third down back.

 

 Interesting. Traditionally, that type of player would Only be a 3rd down, passing situation back.
I look forward to Campbell getting many of his 2018 type snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Leonard probably moves to MIKE?

 

31 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Leonard probably moves to MIKE?

 

 Leonard says he will play lighter this season so he wil have more speed.
Him playing in the 220's should be a injury concern long term.
 So Okereke will out weigh him by about 15lbs i believe.
  Okereke is probably better suited to play Mike or perhaps the strongside on 1st down and running situations. The same with Walker. I agree that Okereke will be groomed to play all 3 positions for this season, and should have a good chance to replace Walker in passing situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, krunk said:

No. He's there mainly because Leonard is out, although I'm sure they are grooming him to play all 3 spots.

Ok.  Forgot Leonard had an ankle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funchess looking good on Desir today. This was obviously not a play that showed Desir great day. Funchess does not look like he is body catching here. His hands look great.

 

 

 

 

 I sure like that route. Nice speed, quickness.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Funchess looking good on Desir today. This was obviously not a play that showed Desir great day. Funchess does not look like he is body catching here. His hands look great.

 

 

 

tried to tell y’all this alshon en blue

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 I sure like that route. Nice speed, quickness.

 

This is one of those routes that lines up with what Luck throws a lot with a high rate of success. I expect to see a lot of this from Funchess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, krunk said:

He can do either thing, however I do believe he played Mike at Stanford.

I believe he played WILL at Stanford.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I believe he played WILL at Stanford.   

Will have to go back and watch but I swear I saw him attacking from the middle.  Could be wrong certainly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, krunk said:

Will have to go back and watch but I swear I saw him attacking from the middle.  Could be wrong certainly.

Even at the WILL , he’d spend plenty of time in the middle.   The MIKE would be on one side,  and the other OLB,  whatever term you want to give him, would be in the other. 

 

I think the strength of Bobby’s game is going side to side,  but much less taking on runners and blockers coming between the tackles.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, krunk said:

He can do either thing, however I do believe he played Mike at Stanford.

Yup he did. I don't think he has the build for NFL MIKE. 

His base is pretty slight in comparison to prototypical MLBs.

 

IMO, Okereke isn't a guy who's going to replace Walker. Honestly I don't see him as a starting LB either in the NFL (in general), unless it's very scheme specific. If he were starting at MIKE or WILL, it means someone is hurt.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, krunk said:

Will have to go back and watch but I swear I saw him attacking from the middle.  Could be wrong certainly.

Stanford runs a 3-4. Okereke was a MLB and was the "captain"..... 

 

I mentioned it when we drafted him, he's a tweener, and doesn't really have the size (more the base) to be a MIKE for us. IMO it will shake out that he's a WILL back-up and in the rotation potentially at SAM. 

 

Like NCF said, his strength is more side to side and in coverage, not holding the middle. He's a smart and instinctive kid, just doesn't have the body/strength to be an every down MIKE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Stanford runs a 3-4. Okereke was a MLB and was the "captain"..... 

 

I mentioned it when we drafted him, he's a tweener, and doesn't really have the size (more the base) to be a MIKE for us. IMO it will shake out that he's a WILL back-up and in the rotation potentially at SAM. 

 

Like NCF said, his strength is more side to side and in coverage, not holding the middle. He's a smart and instinctive kid, just doesn't have the body/strength to be an every down MIKE.

I agree he's built like a Will and I don't have a problem with saying that may be his best fit. However he's got length on his frame to add weight.  He's currently 238 so he'd only need about 7 more lbs to be about the same size as Jaylon Smith if they chose to keep him in the middle.  I don't think Stanford plugs him right in the middle of a 3-4 defense if they didn't think he could hold up against the run.  Yeah college is a lower level, but the size of the linemen isn't a whole lot different from college to pro.  I think he could handle it if they asked him to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, krunk said:

I agree he's built like a Will and I don't have a problem with saying that may be his best fit. However he's got length on his frame to add weight.  He's currently 238 so he'd only need about 7 more lbs to be about the same size as Jaylon Smith if they chose to keep him in the middle.  I don't think Stanford plugs him right in the middle of a 3-4 defense if they didn't think he could hold up against the run.  Yeah college is a lower level, but the size of the linemen isn't a whole lot different from college to pro.  I think he could handle it if they asked him to.

 

It's really the way his frame is built. His base (bottom half) is just too slight. I posted some comparison photos of Walker and Okereke and there's a obvious difference. Okereke would have to spend considerable time and effort to see gains. Stanford has a great S&C program, so it just may be that it's been hard for him to improve those areas.

 

As far as his time at Stanford, he was absolutely their biggest ILB and was simply their best option. He was actually recruited as an OLB. Stanford's class in 14 was a decent LB class, which included Okereke as one of the two 4 star LBs. After that (through 18), they only had one other 4 star LB, and he was an OLB. Point being, their LB recruiting wasn't that great while Okereke was there, and he was simply the best they had to choose from. Not saying he sucks, just IMO he would have been better as an OLB for them if they had the luxury of another ILB option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840179-what-weve-learned-about-each-nfl-team-so-far-this-offseason#slide14

 

The Indianapolis Colts selected Bobby Okereke in the third round of this year's draft, and he'll push Anthony Walker for the starting middle linebacker spot this summer.

According to Stephen Holder of The Athletic, Okereke's physical traits and intangibles could help him land an early role: "There is already legitimate excitement within the organization after Okereke's debut in rookie minicamp last week, and the Colts think he will become a factor sooner than later with his combination of smarts, athleticism and size." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, krunk said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2840179-what-weve-learned-about-each-nfl-team-so-far-this-offseason#slide14

 

The Indianapolis Colts selected Bobby Okereke in the third round of this year's draft, and he'll push Anthony Walker for the starting middle linebacker spot this summer.

According to Stephen Holder of The Athletic, Okereke's physical traits and intangibles could help him land an early role: "There is already legitimate excitement within the organization after Okereke's debut in rookie minicamp last week, and the Colts think he will become a factor sooner than later with his combination of smarts, athleticism and size." 

A much as people say this I dont think that is going to happen. There was only three LB with 100 tackles 1 INT and one sack. Two of them were Leonard and Walker. Leonard has said how much Walker is the leader on the field making sure everyone is in position. That is a talk order for a rookie. Walker also compliments Leonard’s playing style. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A much as people say this I dont think that is going to happen. There was only three LB with 100 tackles 1 INT and one sack. Two of them were Leonard and Walker. Leonard has said how much Walker is the leader on the field making sure everyone is in position. That is a talk order for a rookie. Walker also compliments Leonard’s playing style. 

I'm cool with Walker starting also.  Although I think internally they hope Okereke beats him out.  Okereke has all those same traits Walker has from the neck up.  He's a Captain and they were highlighting all that stuff with condeleeza rice to show how smart he is.  I think they want Okereke to win because he's the more freak athlete of the two.  Hypothetically it would be an upgrade in athleticism and speed, but we'd still have the brains out there.  I believe that's the thinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me it seems Bobby would not compliment Leonard  at all. WAlkers style allows Leonard to do what he does.  I don’t get wanting to push Walker out. Kind of reminds me of fans wanting to push AC out. It just baffles me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

To me it seems Bobby would not compliment Leonard  at all. WAlkers style allows Leonard to do what he does.  I don’t get wanting to push Walker out. Kind of reminds me of fans wanting to push AC out. It just baffles me.

Why do you say he wouldn't compliment him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why do you say he wouldn't compliment him?

Leonard flies all over the field. So I think a guy that stays in his lanes like walker works best with Leonard. We keep hearing Bobby compared to Leonard. Well if you have two LB  just buzzing around at the same time your going to get beat. I think Bobby will be a good backup to Leonard not someone who will take WAlkers place.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Leonard flies all over the field. So I think a guy that stays in his lanes like walker works best with Leonard. We keep hearing Bobby compared to Leonard. Well if you have two LB  just buzzing around at the same time your going to get beat. I think Bobby will be a good backup to Leonard not someone who will take WAlkers place.

 

I think they are speaking more as them being similar athletes.  I don't think it means they are exactly the same way.  I'll have a better impression when the pads get put on and we see some live play.  That's when you'll get to see how things fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Leonard flies all over the field. So I think a guy that stays in his lanes like walker works best with Leonard. We keep hearing Bobby compared to Leonard. Well if you have two LB  just buzzing around at the same time your going to get beat. I think Bobby will be a good backup to Leonard not someone who will take WAlkers place.

 

Agree Walker was VERY GOOD last year. Just saying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think we could see all three on the field at the same time in certain packages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I don't see it.     Ballard isn't one to make big moves.  And I don't think he's going to want to pay an RB big money either.     People like to start these rumors simply because we have all sorts of cap space to pay guys who are looking for big extensions that their clubs arn't giving to them.  But Ballard doesn't like to spend big money on outside players.   
    • My question is that if he can do those drills, and it's a calf/ankle problem. . . What can't he do that would prevent him from playing in a game?     I mean the only other things I can think of is get hit and run.     I am hoping that this is an injury that wouldn't keep him out of a meaningful game.  But it's hard to say, they don't give us much to go on.  
    • Depends on your definition of a blowout.  IMO both the Jets and Pats game we’re blowouts.     No question on the Chiefs game.     Again, all those were because of non quality depth.  I really think that’s been addressed.  Which is why I’m calling for none of that this season.  
    • He was but Ballard felt like moving down and getting the second rounder next year was worth losing him.     I'm ok with it, CB was also sort of a need and Ballard got Rock instead + a #2 next year.  Geathers is an ok stop gap until then.  But if we're looking at the 2020 draft this early, Strong Safety is the one need from 2018 that we didn't really fill.  So I would say it has to top the early list.    
    • If it would happen now, and structured properly, it would never affect signing those guys to longterm contracts... 
  • Members

    • unitas2berry

      unitas2berry 45

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Calmack

      Calmack 353

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Btown_Colt

      Btown_Colt 383

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CantBeStopped

      CantBeStopped 427

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bsteves

      bsteves 150

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PrincetonTiger

      PrincetonTiger 8,844

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Archer

      Archer 976

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 382

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Reidm

      Reidm 123

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SaturdayAllDay

      SaturdayAllDay 930

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...