Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck ranked 9th Best QB

LJpalmbeacher2

I normally don’t get worked up on stories like these...   I just don’t.

But..,   as everyone noticed....   DeShaun Watson?    I mean...   DeShaun Watson?!?   Exactly WHAT has he done to deserve ANY top-10 consideration?

The profile on Watson is all about IF and COULD....    IF Watson does certain things then he COULD get to deserve the ranking.  

Great...   potential gets him on to a top 10 list for what he might do.... someday...    :facepalm:

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But there are several things that jump out about this article....

First...   as everyone noticed....   DeShaun Watson?    I mean...   DeShaun Watson?!?   Exactly WHAT has he done to deserve ANY top-10 consideration?

Second...   how do you do a story about Luck being ranked 9th overall,  and not reveal the FULL TOP-10?   I mean who does that?

Third...   especially since the writer invites you to respond with your own list.   How can you compare your list with their list since the didn’t share their list?  

Makes me seriously wonder about the writer.... 

Did I mention DeShaun Watson?  Come on now!  

I agree. I was hoping to see his whole list. Who writes an article about the best QB's and doesn't list them in order? In no way is Watson better than Luck either statistically or playing head to head. Luck proved last year that he is healthy now and clearly better. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree. I was hoping to see his whole list. Who writes an article about the best QB's and doesn't list them in order? In no way is Watson better than Luck either statistically or playing head to head. Luck proved last year that he is healthy now and clearly better. 

Actually.,.   The list is on a weird link...   it’s in red.....   I’ve just re-worked my post.

• Like 1

Are they ranking them by right now on who's better or from past experiences?  Cuz right now luck did better than all of them besides mahomes.  Ben isn't even that good don't know why people think he's better than luck.  Luck is better than rivers and Wilson and Ben and Watson doesn't come close to him. After this year we will see how mahomes does to see if he truly is that good or will he be another dak

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tweezy32 said:

Are they ranking them by right now on who's better or from past experiences?  Cuz right now luck did better than all of them besides mahomes.  Ben isn't even that good don't know why people think he's better than luck.  Luck is better than rivers and Wilson and Ben and Watson doesn't come close to him. After this year we will see how mahomes does to see if he truly is that good or will he be another dak

If one basis it off last year going into this year it should be:

1. Tom Brady - only because he won the SB and he outperformed Mahomes in the AFC Title Game when it mattered in crunch time. Until someone beats him and his team this ranking is deserved, hate him or not.

2. Mahomes - He won MVP and threw for 50 TD's and 5000 Yards.

3. Brees - His team got cheated and should've been in the SB. He was arguably the best QB for 3/4th of the season.

4. Luck should be here with his 39 TD's and right at 4600 Yards + he won a playoff game at Houston.

• Like 2

I hate these rankings because it's all opinion based for the most part. I agree with King Colt. How can they throw Mahomes in that list after 1 year in comparison to Aaron Rodgers, Ben Rothlisberger and Andrew Luck.

I would probably list them as:

1. Tom Brady

2. Drew Brees

3. Aaron Rogers

4. Ben Rothlisberger

5. Andrew Luck

6. Russell Wilson

7. Phillip Rivers

8. Patrick Mahomes

9. Matt Ryan

10. Deshaun Watson

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

For those like me who are too lazy to click and click and click and click, here's their top 10

1. Tom Brady

2. Drew Brees

3. Patrick Mahomes

4. Aaron Rogers

5. Russell Wilson

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Deshaun Watson

9. Andrew Luck

10. Matt Ryan

The first 4 I would agree with, order could slightly be adjusted maybe but certainly the top 4 in the league. It would be an honest argument as to whether Luck should be 5,6 or 7 though. I would agree that Watson doesn’t belong above anyone else on this list right now. It’s going to be interesting to see how Luck can benefit from 1. Second season of a solid oline. 2. Another season in Reich’s offense. 3. Consistent offensive scheme over time. 4. An actual legit defense to allow Luck to play the game without dire urgency every possession. 5. Running game threat. 6. Multiple offensive weapons outside of TY. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Rankings are useful how? Example, how do you rank a player with 1-2 years in the league versus a player with 10+??? It just does not work. Patrick Mahomes above Aaron Rogers?!

Well Mahomes is an outlier for sure but the kid did just blow up the league last year and he has an MVP already on his resumé so it’s a legit option. Again, I think the order of the 4 top guys on the list could be argued but based on last year and his youth gives you optimism that his trajectory is pointed up. Based on that, yep, I’d go above Rogers right now. 

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

For those like me who are too lazy to click and click and click and click, here's their top 10

1. Tom Brady

2. Drew Brees

3. Patrick Mahomes

4. Aaron Rogers

5. Russell Wilson

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Deshaun Watson

9. Andrew Luck

10. Matt Ryan

Deshuan Watson - Can't read the blitz.

Been Roethlisberger - Couldn't keep a talented team together.  Not only did they break up but they are sniping at each other now.  He is also going downhill

Russell Wilson - Not asked to carry the team. 

Pat Mahomes - Only one season

Tom Brady - Going downhill

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Drew Brees

3. Phillip Rivers

4. Andrew Luck

5. Russell Wilson

6. Matt Ryan

7. Tom Brady

19 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t agree with Watson but can see being 7th.  There is a reason for every QB ahead of him.  I still think he is better than some of them but I won’t get into it bc he isn’t #1.  If you aren’t first then you are last.  

This is about where I am.  Luck has some work to do to crack the top 5.  He has the potential to do that (and it’s perhaps true that the reason he hasn’t has something to do with others around him).  But he’s just not in that echelon yet.

But, yes, he’s better than Deshaun Watson.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Deshuan Watson - Can't read the blitz.

Been Roethlisberger - Couldn't keep a talented team together.  Not only did they break up but they are sniping at each other now.  He is also going downhill

Pat Mahomes - Only one season

Tom Brady - Going downhill

1. Aaron Rodgers

2. Drew Brees

3. Phillip Rivers

4. Andrew Luck

5. Russell Wilson

6. Matt Ryan

7. Tom Brady

Yes, Mahomes has only been a starter for one season.  And I don’t think that’s irrelevant.  But what he showed in that season was pretty darned impressive.  Barring injury, he’s undoubtedly going to be one of the league’s premier stars for the next decade or so.

I wouldn’t put Luck above him — which isn’t as much a slam on Luck as it is praise of Mahomes.

I put on her a couple months ago, How good is Andrew Luck? Because according to national media the Colts had the 32nd ranked team in the league(last) going into last season. Many reasons(apparently), no running back, no recievers outside of Hilton, no offensive line blah, blah, blah, the list goes on and on. Yet , the Colts won 10 games and made the playoffs. Seriously, it was probably 75% Andrew Luck. Youngest roster in the league, first time head coach, first time dc, rookies everywhere. The media really can't have it both ways, if the Colts really are so devoid of talent Andrew Luck has to be the best qb in the league by far. My opinion is that he is. Even though I say the Colts easily have a top 10 roster right now, Andrew Luck makes it all go. You can have a top 10 roster and not have a qb and go 7-9. Colts are fortunate, top 10 roster and a great qb, good combination!

16 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yes, Mahomes has only been a starter for one season.  And I don’t think that’s irrelevant.  But what he showed in that season was pretty darned impressive.  Barring injury, he’s undoubtedly going to be one of the league’s premier stars for the next decade or so.

I wouldn’t put Luck above him — which isn’t as much a slam on Luck as it is praise of Mahomes.

If he repeats it for another season I would make him #1.  But I've seen way too many QB's play at an MVP level for one year but been unable to continue that level of play.  

So to me he's too early to list.  

11 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

If he repeats it for another season I would make him #1.  But I've seen way too many QB's play at an MVP level for one year but been unable to continue that level of play.  

So to me he's too early to list.  

This is true, look at Cam Newton in 2015. Some people were saying he was the Best QB in the league after he won MVP, then 2016 happened. 

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is true, look at Cam Newton in 2015. Some people were saying he was the Best QB in the league after he won MVP, then 2016 happened. 

RG3 went from exciting prospect one year to suck the next year.

Carson Wentz in his second year was in the conversation for MVP before he got hurt and Nick Foles won the Super Bowl.  He wasn't terrible but he didn't look as good the second year.

Deshaun Watson was tearing it up the games he started his rookie year before he got hurt.  

I'll believe in Mahomes if he does it again.  And while I don't think he'll be terrible I do believe that he's going to be brought back down to earth a little bit.  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 9:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

But..,   as everyone noticed....   DeShaun Watson?    I mean...   DeShaun Watson?!?   Exactly WHAT has he done to deserve ANY top-10 consideration?

The profile on Watson is all about IF and COULD....    IF Watson does certain things then he COULD get to deserve the ranking.  

Great...   potential gets him on to a top 10 list for what he might do.... someday...    :facepalm:

I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better than myself.  Watson is a top 15 qb at this point based on what he's done on the field, and that's it.  Judging from his performance in the playoff game last year, he has alot of work to do to ever be considered a top qb.

BTW, Barry Werner worked in Houston media for a very long time, but i'm sure that has nothing to do with him overhyping and overratting an unproven and unaccomplished DeShaun Watson.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, Malakai432 said:

Hmmmmmmm...... Could it be possible that Barry Werner of Touchdown Wire is actually Bjorne Werner??

I’m going to conduct a full investigation into the matter.

Final results, I’m 90% certain that it’s his brother.

Barry Werner worked in Houston sports media for a long time.  No surprise at all that he's overrating one of his own.  

If these schills down here voted on the league's top qb, Watson would win in a landslide.  They live in another world, with unicorns and leprechauns.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:00 AM, John Hammonds said:

1. Tom Brady

2. Drew Brees

3. Patrick Mahomes

4. Aaron Rogers

5. Russell Wilson

6. Phillip Rivers

7. Ben Roethlisberger

8. Deshaun Watson

9. Andrew Luck

10. Matt Ryan

I would probably put Luck at #6 or #7 behind the current top 5 or 6.  No way right now Luck cracks that top 5 without a Superbowl or at minimum AFCCG run.

On 6/10/2019 at 11:15 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Name one other guy on the Seahawks roster from last year who's worth a damn (besides Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas missed about the entire season so he doesn't count)?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tikyle said:

I would probably put Luck at #6 or #7 behind the current top 5 or 6.  No way right now Luck cracks that top 5 without a Superbowl or at minimum AFCCG run.

Name one other guy on the Seahawks roster from last year who's worth a damn (besides Bobby Wagner, Earl Thomas missed about the entire season so he doesn't count)?

Chris Carson averaged 4.7 Yards per carry on his way to 1151 yards rushing

Mike Davis averaged 4.6 yards per carry, got 514 yards rushing

Rashaad Penny got 4.9 yards per carry and 419 yards rushing

That's 3 different RB's with some really good rushing averages.  Because of that the Seahawks were 3 in the league in terms of yards per attempt.  (Indy was 27)  To be fair Wilson chipped in 376 yards on 67 attempts.

The Seahawks led the league in turnover differential even though Wilson fumbled the ball 10 times.  (He only lost 2)  In fact him and Carson are the only people on that team that ever turned the ball over in the entire regular season.  

Russell Wilson was only responsible for 68% of his team's offensive yards.  Considering he's the only one with a completed passing attempt, that's pretty low.  By comparison Luck was responsive for 77% of the Colts yards.

His defense was 11th in Points per game.  

Russell Wilson is a game manager on an average NFL offense.  

The guy is quite simply overrated because he landed on a team with a history making defense and an elite RB and rode them to 2 superbowls winning one.  He's still got a pretty good team around him considering the rushing numbers and defensive ranking but to hear the media tell it he's surrounded by a bunch of no talent clowns.  

Russell Wilson ain't overated at all. Damn good QB.

He's the reason these teams are less intimidated to draft short QBs now.

Guys like Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray.

There have been times he's been asked to carry the load on his own

and he's done exactly that.  And he's accomplished what he's done while being

behind one of the worst offensive lines in football for quite some time now.

They are just now getting that line together as of last year like us.

• Like 1

It's the slow changing of the guard, as the new blood starts to trickle in, the media want to embrace them as, the future of the NFL. So when they have some success, naturally they want to sing their praises to the newer generation of fans. Look at NASCAR, drivers stuck around racing a lot longer years ago, but now it's all about investing in young new, and up and coming drivers. Your Gordon's & Earnhardt's, and now Johnson etc... are being weeded out. to make room for the newer generations to identify with.  

6 hours ago, tikyle said:

That was my thoughts too.  But I still think Rivers and Big Ben are still dangerous as well

6 hours ago, tikyle said:

He may be the most underrated player.... possibly ever.  People always give credit elsewhere, and when that disappears, apply it elsewhere.  Never on the QB. I remember he accounted for 81% of Seattle's total offense in 2017, and that was including passing, rushing, and the reduced yardage from sacks incurred.  Without the sacks negative yardage counting, it was 85% of the offense created by Wilson.  Pete Carroll is trying to reduce the load by improving the running game again, though.  I think Frank is trying to increase the run game and reduce load on Luck as well.

Oh, and this-

Luck -           16 comebacks, 20 game-winning drives (in fewer, { 86 } games though)

Wilson -       17 comebacks, 23 game-winning drives (however, in more { 111 } games)

That also means Wilson was 25 games more durable and available over the same time frame.

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Russell Wilson was only responsible for 68% of his team's offensive yards.  Considering he's the only one with a completed passing attempt, that's pretty low.  By comparison Luck was responsive for 77% of the Colts yards.

Not in 2017-   as I mentioned above, RW accounted for 81% of Seattle's total offense in 2017, and that was including the reduced yardage from his sacks incurred.  Without counting sacks it was almost 85%.  Pete Carroll had purposely built up the run game for 2018 (and reducing Wilson's running/passing some) just to get more balance with other players in there.  That's on Peete, not Russell. Reich is going to try to do something similar.  Both HC's have reduced their QB from running as often as well.