Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Lucky Colts Fan

Elite DBs?

Malik Hooker and Kenny Moore are now being called "elite" DBs.

https://www.colts.com/news/malik-hooker-kenny-moore-ii-listed-among-nfl-s-elite-defensive-backs

Recently, Doug Farrar of Touchdown Wire has been ranking his top players in the league based on position. Hooker came in as his fifth-ranked safety, and Moore II as his No. 2 slot defender.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We played some pretty poor offensive teams last year.  This year will really tell us how good our D truly is.  No hiding it

• Like 1

I think our Run defense has stood the real test last year, as holding some of the best running games to minimal stat lines.

But this year, we face lesser RB's, and much better QB's and WR's.  So that will truly test our DB's.  But I feel with a second season in the system, and a better understanding by our young players, they should be up for the task.

Especially since I think our run defense is legit, and be able to hold opponents run games in check, and making them go one dimensional, since our offense is, shall we say, very well balanced, and will be putting points on the board.  They will be playing catch-up, like the good old days.

I think the QB we face will put to the test if our run game is that good. We are playing teams that like to throw. It’s easy to stop the run game when you have bad QB’s.

• Like 1

IIRC, we play 7 or the top 11 passing teams this year. We'll see.

IMO, Hooker will be great if he can keep healthy. The rest, IDK. I think our success last year had a lot to do with scheme. I think RYS has some elite qualities too, but qualities don't always translate. 

All I know is that I'm happy we improved the WR unit, and happy we have a good short yardage RB this year. This year we're going to have to score more, it's as simple as that.

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

We played some pretty poor offensive teams last year.  This year will really tell us how good our D truly is.  No hiding it

??? umm even tho were were beat by the run our CBS pretty much shut down mahomes passing attack 0 TDS through the air

15 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

??? umm even tho were were beat by the run our CBS pretty much shut down mahomes passing attack 0 TDS through the air

Maybe that is why we were beat by the run. Had to pick our poison. Need to stop both.  The reason we were so good all year at stopping the run because we played bad qb. Didn’t work when we had to play a elite QB.

Hooker is elite IMO. QBs dont throw his way. He is going to be a pick machine this year as we convert to more cover 3 packages. I can only imagain how different the KC game could have been with him out there

16 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Did u watch the game? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Malik Hooker and Kenny Moore are now being called "elite" DBs.

https://www.colts.com/news/malik-hooker-kenny-moore-ii-listed-among-nfl-s-elite-defensive-backs

That they ARE Elite is a Gross exaggeration.
 That they look good in a fairly small sample is right.
 And i do think they look to have some serious potential good ahead of them in our TEAM defense.. 
  Show us! 

I certainly think Hooker has the potential to become elite, but his body of work just isn't extensive enough yet to know if that potential will be realized. But he's coming into training camp completely healthy for the first time so we may finally have an opportunity to see that potential turn into production this season. 

The Colts have some good looking and promising pieces in the secondary this season. If Hooker is truly healthy (and can stay that way), along with Desir, Wilson, Moore, Ya-Sin, and Geathers, this won't be a fun group for opposing QBs to throw into.