Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hooker's 2018 season under appreciated?

CR91

29 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That is not even being fully healthy. Now for Hooker to really reach his potential, he needs to learn to bait QBs then he'll start to get more ints.

I'm definitely waiting for his third year.  I've been rooting for him!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

That is not even being fully healthy. Now for Hooker to really reach his potential, he needs to learn to bait QBs then he'll start to get more ints.

I'm not the greatest X's & O's guy, especially on Defense But how do you target a DB that usually plays like 50 yards deep? 

And when the corners usually give a large cushion themselves. The underneath passes are where most of the offenses attack.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I'm not the greatest X's & O's guy, especially on Defense But how do you target a DB that usually plays like 50 yards deep? 

And when the corners usually give a large cushion themselves. The underneath passes are where most of the offenses attack.

He typically plays 20-25 yards back at most lol 50 yards is a bit much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Healthy or not, that is A LOT of respect given by opposing QB's.

He was obviously in the right place at the right time for the most part.

Wait, couldn't "not targeted" also mean he was in the wrong place, thereby naturally making him "not targeted."

just kidding.

It is confusing to me how a free safety can be considered targeted when he is mainly roaming free and watching the top.

Also, while watching games, he is often out of the picture (tv) , so it is difficult to see what he is doing.

But, ultimately, similar to OLmen, if you dont hear their name, its usually a good thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well go back to the times when the colts were a walking door mat for giving up 20+ yard plays. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CR91 said:

I kind of recall us being pretty weak defending underneath last season so i can't give Hooker quit as much credit for the fine numbers you shared.
 Figure in a high scoring ball control Offense, the better underneath coverage Ballard honed in on in the draft and a better pass rush, we should EXPECT Hooker to have many more big play opps. And i do believe he will perform very well. 
 A Natural progression of a Winning formula.

2 hours ago, Matabix said:

If Odom takes on more of a role as a centerfielder in some packages I could see Hooker playing more underneath. Farley maybe, I see him as a tweener. Someone with characteristics of both Hooker and Geathers.

I thought Odum came on at the end of the season, but he’s going to have to really ball out to make the team this year.  

Hooker could have an all pro year if he can stay healthy. Unfortunately, that’s our biggest concern for our top 3 safeties.   

People tend to judge DBs on the plays they see the DB have an impact on. For a FS, that might be 8 plays a game, to the casual viewer.  

If you watch the all 22 carefully, you'll see how many plays the QB is looking at a primary target down field, yet chooses to come off that target because of the position of the deep safety. 

Hooker influenced a lot of plays last year. He seemed to always be in the right place. QBs also respected him because of his range and ball skills. And he wasn't 100%. 

It's not all him, though. Our scheme protected deep by design. We also struggled to cover the intermediate part of the field, so offenses could take safer shots and still move the ball, without challenging Hooker. But if not for his awareness, range and discipline, the defense might have given up a lot more big plays. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Superman said:

People tend to judge DBs on the plays they see the DB have an impact on. For a FS, that might be 8 plays a game, to the casual viewer.  

If you watch the all 22 carefully, you'll see how many plays the QB is looking at a primary target down field, yet chooses to come off that target because of the position of the deep safety. 

Hooker influenced a lot of plays last year. He seemed to always be in the right place. QBs also respected him because of his range and ball skills. And he wasn't 100%. 

It's not all him, though. Our scheme protected deep by design. We also struggled to cover the intermediate part of the field, so offenses could take safer shots and still move the ball, without challenging Hooker. But if not for his awareness, range and discipline, the defense might have given up a lot more big plays. 

I think you pointed out previously that we faced very few good QBs last season.  And when we did, we were torched.  

With a little better organic pass rush, and overall speed improvement with the LBs, the D should improve.  

It better because Brees, Ryan, Rivers, Ben, Foles, and even guys like Flacco and Cam will eat up those underneath routes if we’re playing that same D.  

On 6/8/2019 at 7:34 AM, Smonroe said:

I think you pointed out previously that we faced very few good QBs last season.  And when we did, we were torched.  

With a little better organic pass rush, and overall speed improvement with the LBs, the D should improve.  

It better because Brees, Ryan, Rivers, Ben, Foles, and even guys like Flacco and Cam will eat up those underneath routes if we’re playing that same D.  

Agreed. We play some good QBs and passing attacks this season. I think it's possible that our raw overall numbers aren't as good, but the passing defense might actually be better when you account for the competition. We'll see. I hope it's improved, because what we did last year isn't good enough.

I think our defense is built to play against guys like Flacco and Cam, though. Flacco is a "touchdown / checkdown" kind of guy, he doesn't attack the intermediate areas with any kind of efficiency, so covering the deep attack and then rally tackling -- two things we did pretty well last year -- would work well against him. And Cam is a deliberate passer, again not proficient in the intermediate areas, and being fast in the middle and playing zone will help keep him from hurting us on the ground. 

I think the Jags getting Foles might be the most meaningful personnel move in the division. At his best, he's so much better than anyone they've had at QB since Mark Brunell. If he and that coaching staff are on point, they might finally have a complete team. Their defense won't be as good as it was in 2017, but if their offense can perform, especially late in games, the defense doesn't have to carry the load every week. If they trusted Bortles to make a play in that AFCCG, they might have taken down the Pats. 

He was sorely missed in the KC game. We couldn’t shut down the deep ball and make them dink and dunk. 

This year, perhaps Hooker can limit big plays and allow the players to break up the short stuff, intercept or limit YAC.

Hooker wasn’t the only guy under appreciated by the fan base. Guys like Geathers, Rogers, Audrey, Wilson and Wilkins might be better than fans perceive.

It’s only human nature to want the “ newest or different” players to make the team better but sometimes our own get minimized by the “names” we hear in FA.

Its difficult to judge how effective of a season he had when he doesn't show up on the screen or in the stat sheet very much.  Poor coverage underneath and poor QBs play a factor in it.  I assume any DC would want a FS to do more than just take away the deep pass, or else the other 10 players will be very busy.

Hopefully we'll get better players to cover the short game, and along with playing teams with better QBs, there will be more information with which to judge, for those who want to do that.

33 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Its difficult to judge how effective of a season he had when he doesn't show up on the screen or in the stat sheet very much.

No it's not, you just have to watch the All 22 and you'll see him on the screen, doing his job. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Athlon season preview that I will say I put no credibility in what so ever, had their top players by position rankings and Hooker was not in the top 20 safeties(what a laugh) and it gets even better. Their top 30 corners they had Desir at 22(don't know about that), but Kenny Moore II was not listed(huh) Kenny is better than over half the guys they had in the top 30. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

On 6/7/2019 at 8:22 PM, CR91 said:

That will absolutely help, but I think what will help even more is an improved pass rush and better coverage from the other DBs.... 

Going to be interesting assuming we have an upgraded pass rush already with adding Houston and Bonagu. Given the upgraded QBs we'll see, and the fact we'll likely score more with our improved WR unit...........We'll be passed against much more often this year, so the DBs will be given more opportunity.

Honestly, I'll be stoked if he just stays healthy.