Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Texans fire their GM

PeterBowman

2 hours ago, Superman said:

If that happens, what's the likelihood the Patriots pursue tampering charges on the basis of a possible conversation between Easterby and Caserio from February 2019?

Can you tamper a free agent?  Some time after the next draft, Caserio is a free man. His contract will be fulfilled and expired. He has not publicly taken himself out of the Texans GM runnig, nor do I think he signs an extension. I believe he will sign with the Texans and calls O'Brien and Easterby for a welcoming in party. Exact date: unknown,  but I expect it by end of May, or sooner is possible.

Maybe the Pats try to trade him to Texans before the next draft, just to get something in return if they can?

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Can you tamper a free agent?  Some time after the next draft, Caserio is a free man. His contract will be fulfilled and expired. He has not publicly taken himself out of the Texans GM runnig, nor do I think he signs an extension. I believe he will sign with the Texans and calls O'Brien and Easterby for a welcoming in party. Exact date: unknown,  but I expect it by end of May, or sooner is possible.

Maybe the Pats try to trade him to Texans before the next draft, just to get something in return if they can?

You can tamper a free agent before he becomes a free agent. If Easterby offered him the job when he was still under contract, that's a problem.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

You can tamper a free agent before he becomes a free agent. If Easterby offered him the job when he was still under contract, that's a problem.

I'm pretty sure that I'll bet that never happened, nor could it be proven.  The most that might come out is that they (Texans) wanted him to consider to talk with the Texans about officially interviewing for the GM position, if the Pats would let him interview.  I Think they ( Texans ) then formally asked for permission, which was when the Pats formally filed for tampering because of the contract clause, and the ironic firing of the Texan GM the day before.

5 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

So they're going with an interim GM? Nice job Texans. He seemed to do an ok job from my eyes, but their first round draft pick and the Clowney situation couldn't have helped.

Maybe more like no official GM. Most likely, the Pro Player director and College Scouting director and others will collaborate together until the GM position gets filled... most likely by Caserio next May/June 2020.

16 hours ago, Superman said:

For you and me, both.

Welcome to the club.

Exhibit A:

My first post said: "To me, it's a no-brainer that this is a better time of year to hire a new GM than January. It's not even close."

Second post: "And I understand that this is my opinion, which might be totally different from general consensus. It's just the way I see it."

A later post: "Last thing, that doesn't mean I think a team can't get this right if they do it in January."

Similar expressions have been used by me throughout this debate. At no point have I acted like this is anything more than my opinion, my personal preference. I have not cast aspersions at any team that hires a GM in January. I stated my preference as just that -- my preference. 

If you want the GM in asap, how is firing Grigson and hiring Ballard six months sooner not desirable?

First bolded is obvious. That's why this debate even exists.

Second bolded is something I disagree with, and is a main component of my argument. Aside from hiring the GM, teams make scouting and front office changes after the draft, typically. They start working on their scouting plans and their player boards in late summer. They hit the road in September. During the regular season, they scout other teams/players, in preparation for FA. Etc. By January, the personnel side of the building is in mid-swing, getting ready for the player acquisition cycle (Combine, FA, draft, UDFAs). 

The coaching season ends in January, then if you hire a new coach, he has eight months to get ready for the season. The GM/personnel season ends in May; if you hire a new GM in June, he has 7-9 months to get ready for FA and the draft. The coaching calendar and the personnel calendar are not the same. Hiring GMs on the same schedule as coaches is not optimal. Again,  IMO.

We don't disagree on this, fundamentally.

My question is why we're acting like being first to make your hire during the cycle is some kind of recipe for success. The Jets hired Maccagnan in January 2015; they fired him four years later. The Dolphins hired Dennis Hickey in January 2014; they fired him two years later. 

My other question is why we're acting like the candidates that are available after January aren't as qualified as the candidates hired in January. Again, Joe Douglas has been on the list at least a couple years. Caserio has been on the list several years. A team doesn't have to make their GM hire in January to get their guy. And no matter when they make their hire, there's no guarantee that they've hired the right candidate.

Getting it right is everything. Rushing doesn't help teams get it right.

(Edit: My initial post was in response to the idea that a team should hire their GM before all the good candidates are gone. This response speaks to that idea, primarily.)

It's also worth mentioning that these stable organizations tend to appoint successors and hire from within, especially at GM. Steelers and Ravens are the examples that come to mind right away. So the January vs June debate really doesn't apply in this case.

Here's my read on this: If you don't see my viewpoint, it means it's a low quality argument. 

Is that an unfair synopsis of your statement here?

It's preferable to me. And I said that from the beginning.

My feelings are not hurt over this, and I don't think yours are either. But what's wrong with saying 'I don't agree on this, and that's okay, but here's why I think you're wrong'? Instead, you took the angle of 'You don't really believe this, do you? You're just thinking out loud, right?' And I know you didn't say that literally, but that's the way your rhetorical point came across to me.

I respect that you think of me as a thought leader on this board, but I'm very okay with being in the minority or even all by myself when people don't agree with me (which isn't that uncommon, to be honest). I post my opinions, then either defend them based on the information I'm aware of, or amend them when new or better information is provided. I don't post my opinions just to have people agree with them.

Sorry for the length, again. (You too, @Fluke_33)

I'm sorry......    but I have no desire to go through this point by point.    It feels like we've already done this several times.    Now it just feels like we're talking past each other.     Hugely disappointing.  

So,  from my standpoint,  I'm bowing out while I can.    It feels like we're getting a little too close to this becoming personal and that would be the last thing I'd ever want.

If you want to continue,  the floor is yours......   

On 6/27/2019 at 1:17 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry......    but I have no desire to go through this point by point.    It feels like we've already done this several times.    Now it just feels like we're talking past each other.     Hugely disappointing.  

So,  from my standpoint,  I'm bowing out while I can.    It feels like we're getting a little too close to this becoming personal and that would be the last thing I'd ever want.

If you want to continue,  the floor is yours......   

Nothing personal for me, and I hope not for you. If I crossed a line, I apologize. 

I will say my frustration stems from the way I felt my argument was characterized, not simply because of the disagreement. But it's not a big deal IMO. 

We can revisit this next June when this trend starts taking off. ;)

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

Nothing personal for me, and I hope not for you. If I crossed a line, I apologize. 

I will say my frustration stems from the way I felt my argument was characterized, not simply because of the disagreement. But it's not a big deal IMO. 

We can revisit this next June when this trend starts taking off. ;)

No need to apologize, though I appreciate the thought.   It didn’t get personal,  but I feared if we continued that it just might.

But I thought we had stopped communicating effectively.   It felt like we both were unintentionally (key word)  mischaractering each other.   Felt like when I read your posts you were saying....   “that’s not what I think or what I wrote.”   And the same when you responded to my posts.   So at that point I felt like we were getting diminishing results.  

Sorry it all unfolded that way....

• 2 weeks later...

Weird twist to this story:

texans-proceeding-as-if-they-will-have-no-gm-in-2019

Caserio's contract with the Patriots is up following the 2020 draft, and the only way for Houston to obtain Caserio's services is via trade.

If Houston is to add another former Patriots staffer in Caserio, it appears the Texans are willing to wait 10 months.

On 7/10/2019 at 10:28 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Weird twist to this story:

texans-proceeding-as-if-they-will-have-no-gm-in-2019

Not really, at least to me,

" Maybe more like no official GM. Most likely, the Pro Player director and College Scouting director and others will collaborate together {with HC Bill O'Brien implied} until the GM position gets filled... most likely by Caserio next May/June 2020."

I pretty much expected this once the full tampering story broke.