Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign P Rigoberto Sanchez to contract extension (Merge)

MTC

1 hour ago, Buck Showalter said:

Is that even a thing???

I don't think it's a big thing, although I did watch a McAfee video recently and he said something that he had gone out to a field and punted a bit.  It doesn't sound to me like he's completely closed out the idea of returning to the NFL.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Well they likely would have put a 2nd round tender on him next offseason...which was $3M this past year. No way they were letting another team snag him without compensation.

Basically, they cost-controlled and bought out his RFA year (2nd round tender) and two years of FA...in exchange for an early guarantee.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they actually saved some money doing it this way...because he’s a P and his second contract will be small, relative to other players. Probably can’t do this with other positions though. 

Considering the price tag on the second round tender, you're probably right that this saves the team money. We haven't seen the numbers yet, but I'm assuming the average is somewhere close to $3m/year; if you tender him, that becomes the baseline.

In all, not a big deal. I'm not worried about the precedent, it's just not my favorite. 

Very glad to have Rigo locked up, though.

Edit: I hadn't seen the numbers yet, but they're out. It's basically five years, $12.25m, so the average is $2.45m/year, still less than the second round tender would have been. 

Second edit: I assume Kenny Moore is up next, but the math is different, since his contract average will likely exceed the second round tender by quite a bit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ColtJ82 said:

I haven't looked up the numbers and I'm just thinking outside the box on here. I wonder if this is one method Ballard will use to get us to the cap floor.

Regardless, it's not like we are up against the cap. I do get the issue with setting that precedent. I would consider him a little different since he was an UDFA. He was making relative pennies and is teetering on the Pro Bowl. May as well lock him up before that first Pro Bowl is on his resume.

On the two years, wouldn't it really only affect one year of those two years? It's an extension, so won't it tag on the back of his current contract, only negating the RFA year?

It does count toward the cap floor. I think fans and bloggers are way more worried about that than the team is, but yes, this could be part of the strategy, which I'm fine with. (I'm also curious whether that mechanism gets adjusted in the next CBA.)

As for the terms, they essentially replace his last contract with this new one, starting in 2019. We can look at it any number of ways, but the practical result is that his new cap numbers will be based on the extension he just signed. So the final year of his previous contract and the potential RFA year were replaced by Years 1 and 2 of this new four year extension.

Edit: It's actually four additional years, not four years total. Point still stands, just wanted to update now that we've seen the details.

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Unless the Colts got a really good deal by underpaying him significantly this move makes no sense to me.

The fact that he's a punter might be a factor.  Relatively low injury chance compared to other positions.

Remember what happened with Earl Thomas and the Seahawks?  He wanted a big contract, but Seattle decided to wait until his contract was closer to expiring.  Maybe because he played a high-contact position in a very physical way.  He got injured, and Seattle saved a lot of money they would have guaranteed to him had they signed him early.

With most other positions, I can see waiting until their current contract is closer to expiring before extending them because injuries are more of a factor and you could end up with lots of "dead money".  But with punters, the chance of injury being much lower means you likely get more return on your investment, so why not invest early?  :dunno:

19 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The only sense I see of paying him this early was if he gave us a discount in exchange for the early extension.

If he was signed to market value this makes very little sense.

Why market value now is less than market value will be in two years.  So by signing the extension now, rather than in 2020 RS did, in effect, give the Colts a discount.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why market value now is less than market value will be in two years.  So by signing the extension now, rather than in 2020 RS did, in effect, give the Colts a discount.

Saved the guaranteed inflation of the cap by doing it now rather than later. 

We have a pretty saavy cap manager in Mike Bluem. Not sure why people keep questioning him. Question Ballard, sure, but don't question the guy running the numbers that made Grigson's awful deals look pretty good at the end of the day. 

On 6/4/2019 at 1:58 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Why do this?  We had him on contract for cheap all of this year and he would be an RFA next year and the tender wouldn't be too expensive.  

Unless the Colts got a really good deal by underpaying him significantly this move makes no sense to me.  

Because he’s playing better than he’s being paid. it’s not about “under paying and getting a good deal” it’s about paying your guys what they are worth so they  want to stay and be a part of your organization for the long haul. Take care of your guys they will take care of you.