Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts are working out Jonathan Cyprien

Smonroe

I think we have seen the value that vet Ss can provide...both firsthand (Mitchell) and across the league.

So I have no problem giving him a chance to come in and compete. From all reports, he sounds motivated and would be a good locker room presence. Just an unfortunate situation in TEN, where he got hurt and replaced.

I don't think he's really a coverage S...but prior to his injury...he was one of the better run-stopping Ss in the NFL. So he's more of an enforcer type S that plays in the box...like Chancellor for SEA. But that would fit the defense in that aspect.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think we have seen the value that vet Ss can provide...both firsthand (Mitchell) and across the league.

So I have no problem giving him a chance to come in and compete. From all reports, he sounds motivated and would be a good locker room presence. Just an unfortunate situation in TEN, where he got hurt and replaced.

I don't think he's really a coverage S...but prior to his injury...he was one of the better run-stopping Ss in the NFL. So he's more of an enforcer type S that plays in the box...like Chancellor for SEA. But that would fit the defense in that aspect.

When you think about both Geathers and Farley’s injury histories, it makes sense to bring in a veteran that has had that many starts.  

You’re right about the Mitchell influence.  We can only hope Cyprien can provide that level of production, especially at SS.  I guess it comes down to if he’s really recovered and what he expects for a contract.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I didn't see a thread on this.  Always good to have competition.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2019/06/colts-work-out-jonathan-cyprien

I heard JMV tease that the Colts had someone in, but didn't hear who it was.  He would make things even more interesting.  I am all for it even if it knocks out someone we like, may the best player win.  

13 hours ago, Smonroe said:

When you think about both Geathers and Farley’s injury histories, it makes sense to bring in a veteran that has had that many starts.  

You’re right about the Mitchell influence.  We can only hope Cyprien can provide that level of production, especially at SS.  I guess it comes down to if he’s really recovered and what he expects for a contract.  

Let's say he comes in.  Who does he bump off the team? 

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

Let's say he comes in.  Who does he bump off the team? 

My guess is that we carry 5 Safeties.  Cyprien is really a SS, so I think he knocks Odum off if he comes in.

Hooker, Geathers, Farley, Willis and Odum are the first 5 IMO.

I guess he left without signing.  The Colts may have just wanted to get a look at him in case of an injury.

10 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

My guess is that we carry 5 Safeties.  Cyprien is really a SS, so I think he knocks Odum off if he comes in.

Hooker, Geathers, Farley, Willis and Odum are the first 5 IMO.

I guess he left without signing.  The Colts may have just wanted to get a look at him in case of an injury.

I read that he might be in high demand, but lately safeties have sat in the market for a long time and haven't gotten big paydays.  I doubt we'd give him a "starter" type deal, do you agree? We don't generally seem to offer big contracts to guys like this.  I really like Farley, so if we signed him I hope it wouldn't be him.  They also seem to like Odum so it could be a brutal cut if they did sign him.  If he left, it seems far less likely he circles back, though we took a while to sign Ware right? 

On a side note, does anyone know what we ended up signing Ware for? Is it just a small one year deal or ?  

• Like 1

Cyprien is visting the Eagles now.  If we sign him at all I think it'd be on the cheap.  He's an okay box safety, but certainly not good enough to just come in here and get rid of Odum or Willis immediately.

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

On a side note, does anyone know what we ended up signing Ware for? Is it just a small one year deal or ?  

1 year $1.3 million.   I would have preferred a 2 or 3 year deal. 

Odum will be playing the deep half (opposite Hooker) and Willis will be in the box covering the slot or RB that leaks out....

Geathers (injuries) and Farley (not as talented/versatile) are goners eventually. 

Still think Kindred has a better shot at a roster spot than Farley at this point.

Cyprien is a due diligence meet and greet....

I don't know much about him, but in the limited time I've seen him, I'd say he'd be the second best S on the team.  Not accounting for the rookie Willis.

Edit: Forgot about other recent additions.  I meant Geathers and Farley

1 hour ago, Rackeen305 said:

More than likely, The Colts wont sign Cyprien. Lets be realistic. Thus far we have signed just 1 Free Agent (not including Houston) that was available (Spencer Ware) out of ...? jbh

As @Scott Pennock pointed out - we're forgetting about Kindred, who has some experience.

I know a lot of people were down on Odum, mainly because of some of the bonehead plays he made.  But I think he started coming on later in the season.  He's a decent ST player and, the way it stands right now, will be battling Kindred for that last S spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Colts | Darian Stewart visited Colts    Wed Jun 5, 12:51 PM

Free-agent FS Darian Stewart (Broncos) visited the Indianapolis Colts earlier this week.

Link to story
Darian Stewart player page

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Colts | Darian Stewart visited Colts    Wed Jun 5, 12:51 PM

Free-agent FS Darian Stewart (Broncos) visited the Indianapolis Colts earlier this week.

Link to story
Darian Stewart player page

They said he played mostly SS last season.  It sure appears they’re looking for veteran backup for Geathers.  They probably don’t want to play him (CG) much in the preseason, even if he’s ready to go.  

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They said he played mostly SS last season.  It sure appears they’re looking for veteran backup for Geathers.  They probably don’t want to play him (CG) much in the preseason, even if he’s ready to go.  

It could be more than that maybe.  Like I said in another thread I've noticed that everytime somebody undergoes one of these "slight knee clean ups" they end up missing more time than you expect.  They said that same thing about Erik Swoope and he ended up missing an entire season plus games in the next season after that.  Hopefully it's not the same with Clayton but I haven't seen too many simple knee procedures in football.

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

RSure does look like Clayton cleanup may be taking longer then what was thought. He was supposed to practice all spring. Otherwise they wouldn’t bring someone like that in we would just use the players we have. I think Geathers body is just giving out on him. Otherwise Willis would be fine as his backup.

We may be jumping to a wrong conclusion.  I wonder why they just don’t bring Mitchell back. I know he’s older, but he played well and was a great influence on the younger guys.  

• Like 1