Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

CR91 2019 Draft Class Projection

CR91

Rock Ya-Sin

I don't see Rock starting right away. Our base defense is Moore and Desir on the outside and Wilson coming in on Nickel packages with Moore moving to the slot. As the season goes on and Rock getting better at zone concepts, he will get on the field, but I do see us doing more man coverages against certain QBs that can exploit zone defenses which would allow us to get Rock on the field. Rock for now I see playing a lot of ST until he works his way into the lineup.

Ben Banogu

Banogu I can see starting right away at SAM as his only competition is Matthew Adams, however our defense is mostly in Nickel 80 percent of the time which is why he is getting a lot more reps at DE instead of LB. Banogu IMO is gonna be used as a coverage/pressure defender depending on what Flus wants to call in certain situations. I can see certain defenses where Banogu is a stand up rusher or drop coverage with Turay Autry Lewis Houston on the Dline especially on third down. I would actually love to see this with a inside stunt with a slot blitz with Leonard spying in case the QB escapes.

Parris Campbell

This is a fun player because you can use him in a lot of different ways. Obviously we can do jet sweeps, WR screens, and other quick plays to get the ball in his hand, but imo the best way to use him is in the PA game where he would get enough time to press the defense and get deep especially with Hilton taking so much attention away from the coverage. An idea I would I like see the colts do is Ebron and Campbell on the outside with Hilton in the slot with Mack and Hines in the backfield with Luck in shotgun. That is a lot of speed for a defense to cover.

Bobby Okereke

Okereke is an interesting player. Ballard seems to really like him and watching his tape, he reminds me of Gary Brackett. A very smart player that will make the play he needs to make, but nothing that wows you about his game. I still see Walker as our starting MIKE for the foreseeable future, but I can also see us matching him against TEs and RBs on third down.

Khari Willis

Willis seems to be more of depth move atleast for this year as we have had a history of our safeties getting hurt. I also think this is a move especially done to possibly push Geathers at the door especially if he has another injury plague season. The colts did not jump 20 spots unless they really have plans as Willis to be a starter. Also the colts do a lot of three safety defenses with Geathers playing a lot in the box so we can see Willis early playing the mid-range defense with Hooker roaming in the backend.

Marvell Tell 

Tell is a project imo. I can see the colts using him mostly as a space CB/S by that I mean covering certain areas and just letting him play the ball. Unfortunately with so much depth at CB, I can't see Tell doing much other then ST for his rookie year.

E.J Speed

E.J is a tough one to analysis, but as the little tape I've watched (very little) he definitely has speed, length, and a good pursuit of the ball. At the end of the day, this is just a depth move in case god forbid Leonard gets hurt. Speed can be a monster on ST though.

Gerri Green

Im not a fan of Green. I've not been impressed with his tape. He gets man-handled a lot. IMO his best assist is his motor and above average speed, but he has a lot of work to become a good pass rusher. I can't see Green doing much other then ST this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he spent the bulk of his rookie year on the PS.

Jackson Barton

Barton has very good size as I really like him in the running game. Unfortunately his pass blocking needs a lot of work. He is not strong on the point of attack and his footwork is spotty at best. Barton can push to get Clark out the door, but he'll most likely go to the PS.

Javon Patterson

Versatility is Patterson best assist as he can play anywhere in the interior of the line, however he doesn't really excel in any certain area. He can be good depth and perhaps push Josh Andrews, but Patterson will either be part of final cuts or PS

• Like 5

Considering we spent basically a 1st round pick on Ya Sin, I would hope he starts relatively quickly.

And I would hope that Willis ends up more than just a depth player for us. We had the chance to draft S Amani Hooker in the 4th and instead took Willis. I live in Nashville and they have been raving over Hooker and that he could play right away matching up with TEs. 

Thanks for the write up....... slow Colts news these days......

I think you may see 3-4 people from this list NOT make the final 53, which 1-2 MAY make the PS

I have watched some game tape on Okereke, and in his games against strong opponents, he seemed to get washed out on the vast majority of the play, and didnt seem strong enough to disengage from anyone trying to block him..... he also seemed to pick the wrong hole to fill in many plays

Maybe he can get to the next level with some coaching and conditioning, but I watch the tape a bit unimpressed

Maybe NCF, since he a Stanford homer, can give us some thoughts on him.

I dont think Walker should have any fear, this year 

For some reason, maybe because he is a near complete unknown, I really want to see how EJ Speed  does in camp and preseason.  The guy looks the part from the grainy, NCAA level 23 filming from his mother.........  (Its like the Zapruder tape from the Kennedy assasination...... maybe there IS a grassy knoll shooter........ Ahem) 

We will see 

Thanks for posting    (I am waitng for your 2021 Mock..... when you getting that out?.... just kidding I like your stuff)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Considering we spent basically a 1st round pick on Ya Sin, I would hope he starts relatively quickly.

And I would hope that Willis ends up more than just a depth player for us. We had the chance to draft S Amani Hooker in the 4th and instead took Willis. I live in Nashville and they have been raving over Hooker and that he could play right away matching up with TEs. 

I think they made a mistake in passing on Ss like they did. In a very strong class, they had a chance to draft Adderley, Thornhill, Rapp and Hooker. 

I also wasn’t a huge fan of the trade up because I liked a handful of guys in that area. 

I really like Tell though. Hope I am wrong about Willis.

38 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Thanks for the write up....... slow Colts news these days......

I think you may see 3-4 people from this list NOT make the final 53, which 1-2 MAY make the PS

I have watched some game tape on Okereke, and in his games against strong opponents, he seemed to get washed out on the vast majority of the play, and didnt seem strong enough to disengage from anyone trying to block him..... he also seemed to pick the wrong hole to fill in many plays

Maybe he can get to the next level with some coaching and conditioning, but I watch the tape a bit unimpressed

Maybe NCF, since he a Stanford homer, can give us some thoughts on him.

I dont think Walker should have any fear, this year 

For some reason, maybe because he is a near complete unknown, I really want to see how EJ Speed  does in camp and preseason.  The guy looks the part from the grainy, NCAA level 23 filming from his mother.........  (Its like the Zapruder tape from the Kennedy assasination...... maybe there IS a grassy knoll shooter........ Ahem) 

We will see 

Thanks for posting    (I am waitng for your 2021 Mock..... when you getting that out?.... just kidding I like your stuff)

Im glad you said that about Okereke.  I watched some of his games (not just highlights) and saw the same thing.  He never looked special to me either.  I know our scouts know a lot more than we do, so I hope we’re both wrong.  

As as others have said, it’s a crapshoot in most cases after the middle of the first round.  Let’s not forget how we had high hopes for Basham.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Im glad you said that about Okereke.  I watched some of his games (not just highlights) and saw the same thing.  He never looked special to me either.  I know our scouts know a lot more than we do, so I hope we’re both wrong.  

As as others have said, it’s a crapshoot in most cases after the middle of the first round.  Let’s not forget how we had high hopes for Basham.

It is a crapshoot.......  

if you get contributors out of 60%.... you are a superstar drafter.....

I hope Okereke can make the transition, but he seemed to be drafted a bit too early

There were others that I would have gone with but...... I am a civilian...... I dont see what the Colts see

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think they made a mistake in passing on Ss like they did. In a very strong class, they had a chance to draft Adderley, Thornhill, Rapp and Hooker. 

I also wasn’t a huge fan of the trade up because I liked a handful of guys in that area. 

I really like Tell though. Hope I am wrong about Willis.

I would agree, but I like Willis more than I like Okereke

Willis seems to be an excellent tackler, and he did very well against good college TEs in coverage. (This was the Colts "achilles heel" last year)

The coverage thing underneath, seems to be a weakness for Geathers

He would seem to kill us if he had to cover deep....... he doesnt have the speed

I think he could see the field before Okereke

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I suspect Ballard didn't draft Amani Hooker to avoid the obvious jokes about the team employing hookers in its locker room.

• Like 1

To all those down on Willis and/or preferred Hooker, it should be remembered that Ballard said Willis was pretty much the last highly ranked safety available on their board.   That’s why they traded up.   They considered taking Willis with the Okereke pick. 

So perhaps not only did they love Willis, but maybe they weren’t nearly as high on Hooker for whatever reason.

As for Okereke...   I thought he was a 4th rounder.   I wasn’t sure if he’s a future starter or a career high level back-up.   Okereke was mostly somewhat of a disappointment at Stanford.   A highly rated LB in HS,  who seemed to take a long time to find himself and raise his game.   Even his senior year,  his best,  not many were raving or gushing about his play.   Perhaps Bobby was the victim of being on one of the worst Stanford defenses of the last 10 years.   Maybe he got lost in the disappointment.  That can happen in the draft process.   I see him as a backup this year, and maybe a starter next year or 2021. 

As for me being a Stanford “homer”...   I try as hard as possible NOT to be.   Fan?  Yes!   Homer?  Hopefully never.   I’ve steered fans here away from many Stanford prospects more times than not.   On this website, my loyalty is always to the Colts.   If a good Stanford kid comes our way (Anderson,  Okereke, even Fleener) great, I’m happy.  But I’m fine when we pass on other kids.   Many Stanford kids have a high floor but a lower ceiling.   That’s fine in R’s 6-7.  

I think we had a good to very good draft.   And I’m fine if none of our rookies start week 1.   Doesn’t mean they won’t start somewhere down the road.  After the bye week?  Injury replacement?    In the years to come I see us getting 4-5 starters out if this class.   Sounds good to me! 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

As for me being a Stanford “homer”...   I try as hard as possible NOT to be.   Fan?  Yes!   Homer?  Hopefully never.   I’ve steered fans here away from many Stanford prospects more times than not.   On this website, my loyalty is always to the Colts.   If a good Stanford kid comes our way (Anderson,  Okereke, even Fleener) great, I’m happy.  But I’m fine when we pass on other kids.   Many Stanford kids have a high floor but a lower ceiling.   That’s fine in R’s 6-7.  

No insult intended NCF........I am an a Ohio State .... "Homer".... THE Ohio State!

They are ALWAYS going to win it all  :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I would agree, but I like Willis more than I like Okereke

Willis seems to be an excellent tackler, and he did very well against good college TEs in coverage. (This was the Colts "achilles heel" last year)

The coverage thing underneath, seems to be a weakness for Geathers

He would seem to kill us if he had to cover deep....... he doesnt have the speed

I think he could see the field before Okereke

Yeah...I think Willis is a guy that they love and that fans will like as well. I just think his skill set is limited. If you look at the S talent that has come out in recent years (including this year), the standout guys have traits (one or more) that Willis doesn’t have. And there is a lot of S talent now in the NFL.

Would be great if the Patrick Chung comp plays out. Chung has never been a standout, but he has provided value and leadership to a defense to a 3x Super Bowl winning defense. But even a Chung comp (which is pretty lofty for any 4th round pick) doesn’t really excite me.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong on Willis. He just doesn’t strike me as the athletic/rangy/playmaking Ss of today’s NFL.

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

No insult intended NCF........I am an a Ohio State .... "Homer".... THE Ohio State!

They are ALWAYS going to win it all  :)

No worries at all, my friend...   I knew you didn’t mean it as an insult.    But we’re getting so many new posters here every month, that some don’t know me as well as others.  ( Maybe that’s a good thing?!)

My post was intended for them and not for you.   If Ballard and his staff see more in Okereke than I do, I don’t think they’re wrong and I'm right.   Not at all.  I hope we get many productive years from him.  Just not sure how much to expect in his rookie season. 

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Yeah...I think Willis is a guy that they love and that fans will like as well. I just think his skill set is limited. If you look at the S talent that has come out in recent years (including this year), the standout guys have traits (one or more) that Willis doesn’t have. And there is a lot of S talent now in the NFL.

Would be great if the Patrick Chung comp plays out. Chung has never been a standout, but he has provided value and leadership to a defense to a 3x Super Bowl winning defense. But even a Chung comp (which is pretty lofty for any 4th round pick) doesn’t really excite me.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong on Willis. He just doesn’t strike me as the athletic/rangy/playmaking Ss of today’s NFL.

I understand your assessment of Willis but Ballard's willingness to move up 20 spots to get him.  They really wanted him on the team and they got him.  That speaks volumes for me.  He just might be the other answer at safety they are looking for.  

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

Rock Ya-Sin

I don't see Rock starting right away. Our base defense is Moore and Desir on the outside and Wilson coming in on Nickel packages with Moore moving to the slot. As the season goes on and Rock getting better at zone concepts, he will get on the field, but I do see us doing more man coverages against certain QBs that can exploit zone defenses which would allow us to get Rock on the field. Rock for now I see playing a lot of ST until he works his way into the lineup.

Part of me agrees with you, the other part still has doubts about Moore and Desir. While I think they have played well, I think their performance may be perhaps a product of scheme. I like both, but I also remember that Desir was a 4th rounder for the Browns, who was eventually waived after ups and downs. Then waived by the Chargers and Seahawks prior to being picked up by the Colts. Moore was an UDFA who was waived during final roster cuts by the Pats. 

Not saying they are bad, but them starting may speak more about the overall talent level of our CBs, than them.

Regarding RYS, I think he is absolutely raw, but has a much, much higher ceiling than any CB we have on the roster. If he gets good technique coaching and things click, he could be a monster. He's a wildcard and a project like Banogu, but he should translate easier/quicker than Banogu IMO. In short, I would not be surprised to see him starting by mid to late season. Again, not because I think he's NFL ready, I'm just not totally sold on the CB unit's overall talent level... Given the opposition QBs (our schedule) improving big time this year, he could find his groove sooner than later. 

Ben Banogu

Banogu I can see starting right away at SAM as his only competition is Matthew Adams, however our defense is mostly in Nickel 80 percent of the time which is why he is getting a lot more reps at DE instead of LB. Banogu IMO is gonna be used as a coverage/pressure defender depending on what Flus wants to call in certain situations. I can see certain defenses where Banogu is a stand up rusher or drop coverage with Turay Autry Lewis Houston on the Dline especially on third down. I would actually love to see this with a inside stunt with a slot blitz with Leonard spying in case the QB escapes.

I have mixed feelings about trying to play Banogu at SAM. He's so raw from a technique perspective, I think they should leave him at DE and let the technique coaching be his focus. If they do play him at SAM, I hope they keep it simple for him and very scheme specific. Adams shouldn't be much comp, but honestly I'd rather see Okereke at SAM than Banogu. 

In short, I just think mixing SAM and DE may be counterproductive for a raw guy like Banogu. Keep it simple and develop is what I'd prefer. 

Parris Campbell

This is a fun player because you can use him in a lot of different ways. Obviously we can do jet sweeps, WR screens, and other quick plays to get the ball in his hand, but imo the best way to use him is in the PA game where he would get enough time to press the defense and get deep especially with Hilton taking so much attention away from the coverage. An idea I would I like see the colts do is Ebron and Campbell on the outside with Hilton in the slot with Mack and Hines in the backfield with Luck in shotgun. That is a lot of speed for a defense to cover.

If Parris can quickly learn routes (which reports have been very complimentary), he'll be a monster. If he can get through the press, I'd love to see him on the outside if Cain isn't ready. Regardless, lining him up anywhere will force teams to pay attention, and not double TY. In that alone, I'm very, very happy.

I think he'll have the most snaps than any rookie the first half of the season, and then compete with RYS the second half for most snaps. Adding him to the mix puts Luck in a great spot. 

I'm with you on a speed line up. I just hope Cain recovers and is part of it. TY/Cain/Parris/Hines+ either Mack, Ebron, or Funch is just silly with possibilities. 

Bobby Okereke

Okereke is an interesting player. Ballard seems to really like him and watching his tape, he reminds me of Gary Brackett. A very smart player that will make the play he needs to make, but nothing that wows you about his game. I still see Walker as our starting MIKE for the foreseeable future, but I can also see us matching him against TEs and RBs on third down.

Followed Okereke somewhat at Stanford being a big ND fan. He was a very smart kid coming out of HS with offers from the Ivy League schools (no ND offer). That said, smart kid, but underwhelmed by his career at Stanford. 

Walker was pretty good from a tackle/snap perspective, and has the better base/build IMO. I just don't see Okereke being more than a backup. I could see him however moving to SAM.

Khari Willis

Willis seems to be more of depth move at least for this year as we have had a history of our safeties getting hurt. I also think this is a move especially done to possibly push Geathers at the door especially if he has another injury plague season. The colts did not jump 20 spots unless they really have plans as Willis to be a starter. Also the colts do a lot of three safety defenses with Geathers playing a lot in the box so we can see Willis early playing the mid-range defense with Hooker roaming in the backend.

Willis is a good guy, but I don't ever see him a starter in a two safety scheme. I agree he's a depth move, and possibly a fit in a three safety scheme although I don't see him jumping some of the other guys. 

Marvell Tell 

Tell is a project imo. I can see the colts using him mostly as a space CB/S by that I mean covering certain areas and just letting him play the ball. Unfortunately with so much depth at CB, I can't see Tell doing much other then ST for his rookie year.

My digs on Tell are tackling, effort, and strength. He can cover really well though. I'd stick him in the weight room and lock the door. When he came out stronger, I'd have him in tackle drills for a month. 

From an abilities standpoint, I think his ceiling is higher than Willis. I can definitely see him getting time as a 5th or 6th DB in certain schemes on the back end.

E.J Speed

E.J is a tough one to analysis, but as the little tape I've watched (very little) he definitely has speed, length, and a good pursuit of the ball. At the end of the day, this is just a depth move in case god forbid Leonard gets hurt. Speed can be a monster on ST though.

Agree. Project/STs in 2019. It'll be a big win for him if he makes the final 53. I'm thinking a big win for the PS actually.

Gerri Green

Im not a fan of Green. I've not been impressed with his tape. He gets man-handled a lot. IMO his best assist is his motor and above average speed, but he has a lot of work to become a good pass rusher. I can't see Green doing much other then ST this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he spent the bulk of his rookie year on the PS.

It will be a win to make the PS. He played better in college as a OLB than DE in 2018. Just doesn't have the needed strength. He's another guy I could see getting a shot at SAM.

Jackson Barton

Barton has very good size as I really like him in the running game. Unfortunately his pass blocking needs a lot of work. He is not strong on the point of attack and his footwork is spotty at best. Barton can push to get Clark out the door, but he'll most likely go to the PS.

He's another one I'd lock in the weight room. PS will be a win.

Javon Patterson

Versatility is Patterson best assist as he can play anywhere in the interior of the line, however he doesn't really excel in any certain area. He can be good depth and perhaps push Josh Andrews, but Patterson will either be part of final cuts or PS

Agree on the versatility. I think his best position is C, and we already have a very good one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I understand your assessment of Willis but Ballard's willingness to move up 20 spots to get him.  They really wanted him on the team and they got him.  That speaks volumes for me.  He just might be the other answer at safety they are looking for.  

Yeah...they obviously wanted him. Apparently, he was the final S they had graded as a starter. So we will see.

It's just a point of personal contention I guess. I just think that, both this year and last year, they passed over a handful of very good Ss (Bates, Reid, Adderley, Thornhill, Rapp) that they could have paired with Hooker.

But I love Tell...though he is raw...I think his skill set is suited perfectly for today's NFL. I know they will try him at CB...but I think S is going to be his spot. 

On 6/2/2019 at 4:01 AM, CR91 said:

Rock Ya-Sin

Ben Banogu

Parris Campbell

Bobby Okereke

Khari Willis

Willis seems to be more of depth move atleast for this year as we have had a history of our safeties getting hurt. I also think this is a move especially done to possibly push Geathers at the door especially if he has another injury plague season. The colts did not jump 20 spots unless they really have plans as Willis to be a starter. Also the colts do a lot of three safety defenses with Geathers playing a lot in the box so we can see Willis early playing the mid-range defense with Hooker roaming in the backend.

Marvell Tell 

E.J Speed

Gerri Green

Jackson Barton

Javon Patterson

I'm going to disagree.  Ya sin has an impact early and starts