Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Deon Cain’s recovery video

While I understand he had a very solid training camp last year, I have thought for a while this message board is getting a little high on him without ever seeing him in a regular season game.

The Colts coaching staff/front office must be pretty high on him to have a whole documentary series dedicated to him.  It'd be an awkward thing to have to cut someone after hyping them up this much.

Hope he comes back fully healthy and  lives up to his potential.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

While I understand he had a very solid training camp last year, I have thought for a while this message board is getting a little high on him without ever seeing him in a regular season game.

The Colts coaching staff/front office must be pretty high on him to have a whole documentary series dedicated to him.  It'd be an awkward thing to have to cut someone after hyping them up this much.

by most/all accounts last season, he had locked down X/WR2 by a country mile. Of course the competition as we know last year was pretty mediocre, but "sources" were touting his growing chemistry with Luck IIRC. 

Cain has a lot of upside, so wasn't surprised last year as most mocks had him drafted a lot earlier. I think he'll be right back in the competition IF he's truly healthy and trusts the leg. 

and yes, i agree on the vid series. i made the same point when a poster predicted that Cain would be cut. No way they are making a vid series hyping a comeback if they don't expect a lot out of him.

• Like 2

I'm not saying he's going to get cut, but wasn't Henry Anderson and Jonathan Hankins part of the town hall event the year they were shipped out of town? 

So I don't think this series will have any bearing on football decisions. That being said I think Cain will make an impact on our offense this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few weeks to get is legs under him. I'm rooting for the kid. 

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

I like how they injected Mike Chapell’s and Dan Dakich’s negative outlooks. Hope they both eat their words.

really cheering for Cain, but anything that makes DD look stupid is a huge cherry on top. 

• Like 1

It popped up randomly (PT. 2) in my Youtube string and I watched it today.  All I know is that these short documentary peaks into the team behind the scenes are brilliantly executed.  Whoever came up with the idea and whoever is implementing it should get a raise.  This type of openness is a model of how to run a business.  I encouraged the owner of a company I worked for to do the same with their personnel who were salesmen of another passion product similar to "Football."  He resisted doing it while I was there, but 2 months after I left (to run my own company full time) he implemented the policy and it paid off big time. 

Most big companies can't have this type of transparency because they are not committed to their employees.  By showing not only the players, but also getting a brief look at some of the people behind the scenes not only strengthens fans connections to the team, but it has to feel wonderful to all those people busting their butt to make the company work better.  It says "these are the people doing the REAL work, not millionaires, but rank and file people who are experts at their craft and who get the players ready, keep them healthy and help them recover as well as running the company in other positions.  Imagine if a big company gave you an honest look inside at the people who make it happen (Google? Coca-Cola? Ford Motor Company etc.) and how they came to big decisions or technologies (after the fact of course)?  Your loyalty would go up to their brand, your interest in their product would go up.  Your trust in what they are selling you would improve and so on.  If you run a company or have any say in it, you could learn a lot from this move.  (And I imagine some other teams do it though I haven't seen it done as well).  It works. 

Congrats to them all!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

I like how they injected Mike Chapell’s and Dan Dakich’s negative outlooks. Hope they both eat their words.

9 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

really cheering for Cain, but anything that makes DD look stupid is a huge cherry on top. 

If you're talking about the comments near the beginning of the video, I don't believe that was Dakich, I think it was JMV.

• Like 2

Did anybody watch the clip with Jack Doyle? He reminds me so much of Andrew. The way he answers the questions asked of him. His mannerisms, body language & even his voice makes me think he's just like Andrew. He even looks a little like him with his own neck beard.

Maybe they are brothers separated at birth?

I love everything about this.  Another great piece by the Colts media team, who have been on absolute fire in the last few months.  As for Cain, I love seeing how hard he works and what kind of attitude he has.  They say it takes 18-24 months to fully recover from an ACL tear, so I think we should temper expectations.  But with how hard he's working, I'm excited to see him return to the field.  Also love how much this Colts organization is like a big family. Trainers and players and coaches all get along so well and everyone has such good chemistry.  They've built a really strong culture there.

• Like 4

I really liked it, and it was very well done, but that opening had to be staged, right?

"Ok, Deon, pretend to be asleep and be woken up by your alarm"

It would be weird if a guy with a camera actually sat in his room while he slept waiting for him to wake up to get that footage...  haha

• Like 2

I must be in the minority, but to me, WR is a concern for the Colts right now. TY is the only proven major talent on the roster. Other veterans like Rogers and Funches are at this point average at best. Campbell and Cain have yet to play in one (regular season) NFL game.

I'm all for optimism, but right now the Colts are a million miles away from anything like this: 

2004:              receptions                        yards                     TDs

Harrison             86                                   1113                      15

Wayne             77                                   1210                      12

Stokeley            68                                   1077                      10

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, egg said:

I must be in the minority, but to me, WR is a concern for the Colts right now. TY is the only proven major talent on the roster. Other veterans like Rogers and Funches are at this point average at best. Campbell and Cain have yet to play in one (regular season) NFL game.

I'm all for optimism, but right now the Colts are a million miles away from anything like this: 

2004:              receptions                        yards                     TDs

Harrison             86                                   1113                      15

Wayne             77                                   1210                      12

Stokeley            68                                   1077                      10

It’s definitely better than it was last season. There are a lot of unknowns. I think they draft one early again next year...and if the young guys take steps forward...it will be the best WR group in a long time.

41 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't like the argument of "proven talent". Yes, they may still be somewhat of an unknown due to the fact that they've never played in the NFL, but that doesn't mean you can discount them altogether. It's about what you think their talent level will be. By the logic that only "proven" talent counts, addressing a position of need through the draft means nothing, because they're not "proven". In that case, O line should've been a huge concern last year. We don't always have to look at the floor of what things are. We value a player or position group based on how good we think they're going to be, not by looking at "proven talent". That's why talent evaluators exist.

33 minutes ago, BigQungus said:

I don't like the argument of "proven talent". 

Then, to you, it would't matter if the Colts begin the season with it's current O-Line that is 5 proven talents or 5 other guys who are unproven.

It would not matter to you if the starting WILL backer is Leonard (who is proven) or some one else who is not proven.

It would not matter to you if the starting QB is Luck (proven) or Kelly (unproven).

It wouldn't matter to you if the GM is Chris Ballard, or me.

And concerning the current WR corps, I never said "I discount them altogether". 

• Thanks 1

I love the guy's attitude. He seems serious about his recovery and his business in general. Can't help but root for him. Lets hope he gets back to the level he flashed in camp last year quickly... 

Like others have said he seems like a good kid with good head on his shoulders. With many players that have had problems off the field you often see them being full of themselves in their media appearances. It doesn't seem like he's one of them. 

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I love everything about this.  Another great piece by the Colts media team, who have been on absolute fire in the last few months.  As for Cain, I love seeing how hard he works and what kind of attitude he has.  They say it takes 18-24 months to fully recover from an ACL tear, so I think we should temper expectations.  But with how hard he's working, I'm excited to see him return to the field.  Also love how much this Colts organization is like a big family. Trainers and players and coaches all get along so well and everyone has such good chemistry.  They've built a really strong culture there.

I agree with everything you said (though to be realistic, these are expert film-makers who could make anything look really, really good).  I've been concerned about Cain when most have anointed him as our WR savior all offseason.  Just like JMV & Chappel said, he only had one tiny stretch of Camp to base the adulation on, and it isn't likely he will be all the way back this season.  Expectations have to be kept realistic.  He WILL get better, but not necessarily this season.  So hopefully he will show enough to make the 53 or a least the Practice team, but there are other guys with a lot of talent, minus the injury/recovery, working to make this team and it is going to be a brutal cut down.   I think people have sold the "others" short and set unrealistic expectations on Cain that he might not rise to.  I root for any of these guys to get back to where they were, let's hope for all our benefit he can return 100% and compete and may the best men win.  

4 hours ago, egg said:

I agree that it is all unproven.  TY would fit on that list somewhere, but no one else at this stage would even come close to any of those guys.  Funchess? We have seen he doesn't fit the list by what he hasn't done in his career already.  And he is the consensus #2.  Most have a just drafted rookie at #3 and Cain vying for his spot at #4.  Then people argue over the rest making the team.  You are correct that expectations here are at 2004 levels, while the talent, though world's better than last year or any other year of Luck's career, is still a shadow of that above.  Great post! 

20 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

by most/all accounts last season, he had locked down X/WR2 by a country mile. Of course the competition as we know last year was pretty mediocre, but "sources" were touting his growing chemistry with Luck IIRC. 

Cain has a lot of upside, so wasn't surprised last year as most mocks had him drafted a lot earlier. I think he'll be right back in the competition IF he's truly healthy and trusts the leg. 

and yes, i agree on the vid series. i made the same point when a poster predicted that Cain would be cut. No way they are making a vid series hyping a comeback if they don't expect a lot out of him.

Yes, our WRs outside of TY were not very good last year -- we signed a guy off the street mid-season (Inman) and Luck built fast chemistry with him.  Luck makes the players around him better, and he seems to have chemistry with all his receiving options.  There were probably a lot of #3/4 WRs on other teams last year who could have been our #2 WR, so I'm not totally sold on Cain just because we were expected to slot him in there.  

He seems (from the video) like a humble guy who is working very hard.  I hope this series and hype around him don't get to his head too much.  I think he can definitely play WR in this league if he's healthy based on the small sample size we saw last year... but until I see him do it consistently in the regular season, I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.

4 hours ago, shastamasta said:

It’s definitely better than it was last season. There are a lot of unknowns. I think they draft one early again next year...and if the young guys take steps forward...it will be the best WR group in a long time.

Ballard mentioned something about next year's draft class being stacked with WR talent, which may be why he only gave Funchess a 1 year deal.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JPFolks said:

It popped up randomly (PT. 2) in my Youtube string and I watched it today.  All I know is that these short documentary peaks into the team behind the scenes are brilliantly executed.  Whoever came up with the idea and whoever is implementing it should get a raise.  This type of openness is a model of how to run a business.  I encouraged the owner of a company I worked for to do the same with their personnel who were salesmen of another passion product similar to "Football."  He resisted doing it while I was there, but 2 months after I left (to run my own company full time) he implemented the policy and it paid off big time. 

Most big companies can't have this type of transparency because they are not committed to their employees.  By showing not only the players, but also getting a brief look at some of the people behind the scenes not only strengthens fans connections to the team, but it has to feel wonderful to all those people busting their butt to make the company work better.  It says "these are the people doing the REAL work, not millionaires, but rank and file people who are experts at their craft and who get the players ready, keep them healthy and help them recover as well as running the company in other positions.  Imagine if a big company gave you an honest look inside at the people who make it happen (Google? Coca-Cola? Ford Motor Company etc.) and how they came to big decisions or technologies (after the fact of course)?  Your loyalty would go up to their brand, your interest in their product would go up.  Your trust in what they are selling you would improve and so on.  If you run a company or have any say in it, you could learn a lot from this move.  (And I imagine some other teams do it though I haven't seen it done as well).  It works. 

Congrats to them all!

Well said!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cynjin said:

If you're talking about the comments near the beginning of the video, I don't believe that was Dakich, I think it was JMV.

DD saying something stupid is a pretty frequent occurrence lol...

I don't know if that's him on the vid or not, but my buddy back in Indy said DD is pretty meh on Cain. 

21 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

21888400.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

Yes, our WRs outside of TY were not very good last year -- we signed a guy off the street mid-season (Inman) and Luck built fast chemistry with him.  Luck makes the players around him better, and he seems to have chemistry with all his receiving options.  There were probably a lot of #3/4 WRs on other teams last year who could have been our #2 WR, so I'm not totally sold on Cain just because we were expected to slot him in there.  

He seems (from the video) like a humble guy who is working very hard.  I hope this series and hype around him don't get to his head too much.  I think he can definitely play WR in this league if he's healthy based on the small sample size we saw last year... but until I see him do it consistently in the regular season, I'm not going to get my hopes up too much.

Ballard mentioned something about next year's draft class being stacked with WR talent, which may be why he only gave Funchess a 1 year deal.  

I'm high on Cain 1) because of his flashes in college on a big time team, 2) reports out of camp last year, and 3) because the Colts chose to do a hype vid this year. 

I agree being the top X last year was no major feat, but by all reports it wasn't even close. And bigger than that, I don't see Ballard or Reich doing a hype video for someone they weren't all that high on. 

I doubt it goes to his head. If anything, it should show support from the organization. Given the upgrades to WR, pretty sure he knows he's got a lot of work cut out for him, and reps aren't guaranteed. 

As far as next year's WR class is concerned, I wouldn't over think it. Many on the board translated those comments to mean we wouldn't take a WR early this year, or at all this year. I do agree that someone needs to step up and be a well rounded X, or we'll likely draft another next year though. I think Funch is a possession guy more than a well rounded guy, and Cain (or one of the projects) are likely to be the best shot at a well rounded X. 

Going to be an interesting year at WR to say the least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm high on Cain 1) because of his flashes in college on a big time team, 2) reports out of camp last year, and 3) because the Colts chose to do a hype vid this year. 

I agree being the top X last year was no major feat, but by all reports it wasn't even close. And bigger than that, I don't see Ballard or Reich doing a hype video for someone they weren't all that high on. 

I doubt it goes to his head. If anything, it should show support from the organization. Given the upgrades to WR, pretty sure he knows he's got a lot of work cut out for him, and reps aren't guaranteed. 

As far as next year's WR class is concerned, I wouldn't over think it. Many on the board translated those comments to mean we wouldn't take a WR early this year, or at all this year. I do agree that someone needs to step up and be a well rounded X, or we'll likely draft another next year though. I think Funch is a possession guy more than a well rounded guy, and Cain (or one of the projects) are likely to be the best shot at a well rounded X. 

Going to be an interesting year at WR to say the least.

If that were true, the team would see through that nonsense and blatant favoritism would be divisive to the team as well as some fans.  He's the only draft pick who got injured and is trying to overcome his injury.  It is not a "hype" video which we'd expect from a low rent operation (you can all name them in your head).  It is a sincere human interest story done by a brilliant video production operation who is nailing it every time out.  Some guys would not be comfortable opening up on a private health situation.  Cain obviously is okay with it and we got a tiny sampling of the mind numbing process of overcoming a devastating health and career crises.  In reality, it is countless hours of determination and hard work and sometimes even when someone does everything right, the results still aren't good enough.  I don't think this has anything to do with favoritism and the idea diminishes everyone involved.  They would work just as hard with the lowest guy on the totem pole.  He's a 6th round draft pick right? It doesn't get much lower than that.  Just because some fanatics on a message board follow every twitch from this organization doesn't reflect the overwhelming number of people who don't even know who he is. 

I was curious so I just called 2 people who love football, played it in high school, but who have normal day jobs and no time for message boards after dealing with their family and obligations and real life.  I asked both if they knew anything about a receiver who was injured during training camp last year and neither could think of anything.  I asked who the Colts drafted in 2018 (after both started guessing this year's draft picks, I had to remind them of last year).  Neither had any idea.  Then I gave them the name of the player and one asked if he was the guy who played at Clemson, and I said yes, and he was drafted by the Colts but got hurt in training camp.  He said, man that sucks, is he still on the team? He didn't remember seeing him play in a game.  This went on until I told him why I asked in the first place.   The other guy had no idea who he was period.  I went to games with both of them in the past, and I know they both watched nearly every game the past few years.  One plays fantasy football even. 

All that to demonstrate that featuring him to "promote and hype" him would at best be ineffective. 

Have you seen the YouTube numbers for the entire Indianapolis Colts Channel? The number of Subscribers is shockingly small.  (Under 20K I think).  Only 10K have seen the video.  This effort is to build something to show inside of the Colts and how open they are.  It is to build up the connective tissue to the fan base, including those of us obsessed (which you have to be to even spend time discussing the team daily in the deadtime of the offseason) who are seen as apostles of the brand.  If this was truly an effort to "promote" an injured 6th rounder, (which would be insane in my opinion, but I digress) it would be a foolish effort.  This entire effort by the Colts management is a good faith effort to give uber fans with luxury time on their hands an honest look inside.  All of us already know who Cain is so where is the payoff potential of this "promotion?" 

Ironically, shows like HBO's Hard Knocks typically show 2 sets of people: Established Stars and those struggling to make the team at all.  The middle round meat and potatoes guys rarely get noticed unless they have a huge personality and I wouldn't call Cain's personality anything but metered and down the middle.  

We usually agree on stuff, but I think you're reading this wrong.  It doesn't mean they aren't hopeful he'll make the team and be great, just as they hope in ALL the players they sign, but who else would they even feature on a segment showing rehab from a season ending (before it started) injury? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

If that were true, the team would see through that nonsense and blatant favoritism would be divisive to the team as well as some fans.  He's the only draft pick who got injured and is trying to overcome his injury.  It is not a "hype" video which we'd expect from a low rent operation (you can all name them in your head).  It is a sincere human interest story done by a brilliant video production operation who is nailing it every time out.  Some guys would not be comfortable opening up on a private health situation.  Cain obviously is okay with it and we got a tiny sampling of the mind numbing process of overcoming a devastating health and career crises.  In reality, it is countless hours of determination and hard work and sometimes even when someone does everything right, the results still aren't good enough.  I don't think this has anything to do with favoritism and the idea diminishes everyone involved.  They would work just as hard with the lowest guy on the totem pole.  He's a 6th round draft pick right? It doesn't get much lower than that.  Just because some fanatics on a message board follow every twitch from this organization doesn't reflect the overwhelming number of people who don't even know who he is. 

I was curious so I just called 2 people who love football, played it in high school, but who have normal day jobs and no time for message boards after dealing with their family and obligations and real life.  I asked both if they knew anything about a receiver who was injured during training camp last year and neither could think of anything.  I asked who the Colts drafted in 2018 (after both started guessing this year's draft picks, I had to remind them of last year).  Neither had any idea.  Then I gave them the name of the player and one asked if he was the guy who played at Clemson, and I said yes, and he was drafted by the Colts but got hurt in training camp.  He said, man that sucks, is he still on the team? He didn't remember seeing him play in a game.  This went on until I told him why I asked in the first place.   The other guy had no idea who he was period.  I went to games with both of them in the past, and I know they both watched nearly every game the past few years.  One plays fantasy football even. 

All that to demonstrate that featuring him to "promote and hype" him would at best be ineffective. 

Have you seen the YouTube numbers for the entire Indianapolis Colts Channel? The number of Subscribers is shockingly small.  (Under 20K I think).  Only 10K have seen the video.  This effort is to build something to show inside of the Colts and how open they are.  It is to build up the connective tissue to the fan base, including those of us obsessed (which you have to be to even spend time discussing the team daily in the deadtime of the offseason) who are seen as apostles of the brand.  If this was truly an effort to "promote" an injured 6th rounder, (which would be insane in my opinion, but I digress) it would be a foolish effort.  This entire effort by the Colts management is a good faith effort to give uber fans with luxury time on their hands an honest look inside.  All of us already know who Cain is so where is the payoff potential of this "promotion?" 

Ironically, shows like HBO's Hard Knocks typically show 2 sets of people: Established Stars and those struggling to make the team at all.  The middle round meat and potatoes guys rarely get noticed unless they have a huge personality and I wouldn't call Cain's personality anything but metered and down the middle.  

We usually agree on stuff, but I think you're reading this wrong.  It doesn't mean they aren't hopeful he'll make the team and be great, just as they hope in ALL the players they sign, but who else would they even feature on a segment showing rehab from a season ending (before it started) injury? 

I have plenty of friends and family,,,,  with family, responsibilities, etc. who are Colts fans. All of them know who Cain is. Honestly I don't see this as just fan service. Sure a little of it is. Everything is. But I think this is more than a look "inside". There have been lots of injuries.. Luck two years ago. Doyle last year (who has been with the team 5 years now). I don't recall any fan service (or as much specific) for either.

Cain is more than a 6th round guy. He was top 100 on a lot of boards, but fell to the 6th. It was reported last year he was a great team guy, and was looking very good. Regardless of the poor competition last year, he was said to have lock down the starting X by a country mile. 

Nobody is saying this is favoritism. But I guarantee they wouldn't do this for other 6 rounders with lower ceilings (again, Cain is more than a usual 6th). Cain was poised to be a big contributor. They would not being doing this for EJ Speed (5th) or Green (6th), unless they made a huge splash in preseason like Cain did.

On the vid itself. I don't see it as a work of art. The first few minutes seemed very contrived. But I like it nonetheless for the message it sends. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I have plenty of friends and family,,,,  with family, responsibilities, etc. who are Colts fans. All of them know who Cain is. Honestly I don't see this as just fan service. Sure a little of it is. Everything is. But I think this is more than a look "inside". There have been lots of injuries.. Luck two years ago. Doyle last year (who has been with the team 5 years now). I don't recall any fan service (or as much specific) for either.

Cain is more than a 6th round guy. He was top 100 on a lot of boards, but fell to the 6th. It was reported last year he was a great team guy, and was looking very good. Regardless of the poor competition last year, he was said to have lock down the starting X by a country mile. 

Nobody is saying this is favoritism. But I guarantee they wouldn't do this for other 6 rounders with lower ceilings (again, Cain is more than a usual 6th). Cain was poised to be a big contributor. They would not being doing this for EJ Speed (5th) or Green (6th), unless they made a huge splash in preseason like Cain did.

On the vid itself. I don't see it as a work of art. The first few minutes seemed very contrived. But I like it nonetheless for the message it sends. 

Ah well.. agree to disagree!