Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would anything surprise you this season?

Lucky Colts Fan

3 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I think I'm with you... no expectations for this year. JUst will be happy to see the Colts back out there.

But I would be surprised if we actually started off the season fast.. I just wanna see 3-1 or 4-1 next to the Colts logo for once! :hissy: lol

That opener is tough, we could start 0-1.

10 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

This begs the question: would you be surprised if we lost all those players for the entire year?

I know I would be.  Thus, I would still be surprised if we ended up with the worst record in the NFL.

I would be surprised if ALL those guys were lost for the season (they all have a history of injuries, so losing one wouldn't be that big of a surprise), but if they ALL were, I wouldn't be surprised at the worst record in the NFL as a result.

I was surprised when Manning was lost for the 2011 season (I drafted him in three different fantasy leagues in the preseason before they announced his injury), but I wasn't surprised we had the worst record in the NFL without him.

I was surprised when Luck was lost for the 2017 season (I believe some in the organization were saying he would be ready to play at some point), but I wasn't surprised by the bad record as a result.

Something to think about:  It was surprising when Brady was lost for the season in game 1 of 2008, but how surprising was it that the Pats still went 11-5 without Brady?

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I would be surprised if ALL those guys were lost for the season (they all have a history of injuries, so losing one wouldn't be that big of a surprise), but if they ALL were, I wouldn't be surprised at the worst record in the NFL as a result.

I was surprised when Manning was lost for the 2011 season (I drafted him in three different fantasy leagues in the preseason before they announced his injury), but I wasn't surprised we had the worst record in the NFL without him.

I was surprised when Luck was lost for the 2017 season (I believe some in the organization were saying he would be ready to play at some point), but I wasn't surprised by the bad record as a result.

Something to think about:  It was surprising when Brady was lost for the season in game 1 of 2008, but how surprising was it that the Pats still went 11-5 without Brady?

The Pats have a QB friendly system, which is why they can plug and

play almost anybody. We now have a similar system on offense in place.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Like I said in the OP, a few bad injuries could de-rail the season like 2011 and 2017.

We had the 3rd worst record without Luck in 2017.

If we lost Luck, TY, Leonard and Hooker for the entire season (knock on wood), would you be surprised if we had the worst record in the NFL?

So then would you be surprised if we didn't lose Luck, TY, Leonard, or Hooker for the entire season and still missed the playoffs?

15 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Like I said in the OP, a few bad injuries could de-rail the season like 2011 and 2017.

We had the 3rd worst record without Luck in 2017.

If we lost Luck, TY, Leonard and Hooker for the entire season (knock on wood), would you be surprised if we had the worst record in the NFL?

And anyways, by that logic, every team and their fans shouldn't be surprised to have the worst record in the NFL. And by the same logic, every team that has a shot at the Super Bowl shouldn't be surprised whether they win the Super Bowl or have the worst record in the NFL.

20 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It will be a decent barometer, as long as we keep in mind that what happens in game 1 is not always an indication of how the season will go.  The first week of the season is always weird.

Last year we lost to the Bengals and the Bucs beat the Saints, both wins on the road.  And you know how their seasons turned out. 

Yep...first game of the season isn't really a great barometer IMO. Definitely want to win that game...but it's early September...teams are fired up...weather is typically nice everywhere...and anything can happen.

The schedule is set up so that IND gets LAC (road), TEN (road), ATL (home) and KC (road) all by Week 5...and then HOU at home in Week 6. After that HOU game, I think we will have a very good idea about where this team is. Being 4-2 or better would be huge as far as the season goes.

The game isn't played on paper...but this schedule is a whole different animal from last season. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Yep...first game of the season isn't really a great barometer IMO. Definitely want to win that game...but it's early September...teams are fired up...weather is typically nice everywhere...and anything can happen.

The schedule is set up so that IND gets LAC (road), TEN (road), ATL (home) and KC (road) all by Week 5...and then HOU at home in Week 6. After that HOU game, I think we will have a very good idea about where this team is. Being 4-2 or better would be huge as far as the season goes.

The game isn't played on paper...but this schedule is a whole different animal from last season

So true.  You only have to look at the QBs we saw last season compared to the ones on this years schedule.  Guys like Brees, Ryan, Foles, Rivers, and even Flacco and Cam aren't going to surprised by a simple Tampa 2 or cover 3 D.  We better have a pass rush. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never mind @Myles, I read your post wrong. lmao . 

No problem.  Ha ha.

I think over the past 15 years the AFC South may be in the running for the second easiest division to win.   But the NFC North may have something to say about that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Myles said:

The Bills, Jets and Dolphins over the past 15 years makes the Titans, Jags and Texans look like power houses.

Yeah, that's an understatement.  That may be the historically worst year for a division coming up.  I can't see Brady losing to any of them unless it is a team wide brain fart.  They have a couple tough games against the NFC East, but I think the AFC North will be a cakewalk for them since they open at home against Pittsburgh and they are laughably better than the other 3.  Baltimore is ridiculously overrated this year.  Cincy is no problem and Cleveland will underwhelm in my opinion.  I see only 2 tough games all season for them, Philly and Dallas.  Even if they lost both, they are looking at a big yawn to go 13-3 or better and getting the #1 seed for the zillionth time.  Then they'll have to play either 2 of these teams: KC, Indy, San Diego or Pittsburgh.   I think we may be the toughest of those, so we'll likely get our chance to finally get past them in the Luck era before Tom retires, which I think he will do if they win it all again.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BigQungus said:

So then would you be surprised if we didn't lose Luck, TY, Leonard, or Hooker for the entire season and still missed the playoffs?

21 hours ago, BigQungus said:

And anyways, by that logic, every team and their fans shouldn't be surprised to have the worst record in the NFL. And by the same logic, every team that has a shot at the Super Bowl shouldn't be surprised whether they win the Super Bowl or have the worst record in the NFL.

I'm trying to temper my expectations for this year.  I do think the Colts are on the rise, and barring any major injuries, should be in the mix in January.  But the Colts also have a knack for losing to teams they shouldn't.

Outside of the Pats, the NFL really is a league of parity.  Traditional bottom-feeders like the Browns, Texans, and Jags actually look good, while traditional powerhouses like the Steelers, Packers, and Broncos have question marks.

Pats fans should be surprised at the worst record in the NFL, but fans of the other 31 teams could be talking about the #1 pick in the next draft.  You just never know how the season is going to play out.  Any given Sunday.  :hat:

On 5/29/2019 at 7:36 AM, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I think I'm with you... no expectations for this year. JUst will be happy to see the Colts back out there.

But I would be surprised if we actually started off the season fast.. I just wanna see 3-1 or 4-1 next to the Colts logo for once! :hissy: lol

Yea if went started 5-0 I'd feel good about the team

1 hour ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I'm trying to temper my expectations for this year.  I do think the Colts are on the rise, and barring any major injuries, should be in the mix in January.  But the Colts also have a knack for losing to teams they shouldn't.

Outside of the Pats, the NFL really is a league of parity.  Traditional bottom-feeders like the Browns, Texans, and Jags actually look good, while traditional powerhouses like the Steelers, Packers, and Broncos have question marks.

Pats fans should be surprised at the worst record in the NFL, but fans of the other 31 teams could be talking about the #1 pick in the next draft.  You just never know how the season is going to play out.  Any given Sunday.  :hat:

I wasn't saying that we and everyone else shouldn't be surprised about ending up with the worst record because the league is unpredictable.

You were saying that with just a few major injuries to key players, we could end up with the worst record in the NFL. My point was that that's true for every team every year.

Just now, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Except the Pats.  haha

No, because if Bill Belichick goes down with a heart attack, Tom Brady breaks his collarbone, and Julian Edelman and N'Keal Harry tear their ACLs, then they could end up with the worst record in the league! Sure it might take a few more injuries than with most teams, but eventually if everyone gets injured, then they will get a bad record.

So I guess my point is the fact that a team's season can be derailed with enough injuries to enough key positions is true for everyone, just with some teams more than others. Good or just deep teams would be able to withstand a few more injuries than other teams, but eventually with enough injuries, they will have a bad record too.