Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would anything surprise you this season?

Lucky Colts Fan

52 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Oct 3rd 2018 colts vs patriots 

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (2-2)

OUT
No Players Listed

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (1-3)

OUT
TE Jack Doyle - Hip (DNP)
T Denzelle Good - Not Injury Related - Personal Matter (DNP)
WR T.Y. Hilton - Chest/Hamstring (DNP)
RB Marlon Mack - Hamstring (DNP)
CB Kenny Moore II - Concussion (DNP)
DT Hassan Ridgeway - Calf (DNP)
CB Quincy Wilson - Concussion (DNP)

They played second stringers so the outcome of that game was no surprise. 

Everyone knew before that game kicked off that the colts were depleted and it would take a miracle to win it.

I was referring to the playoff game in Arrowhead.

18 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

That's a pretty Bold prediction, But you could be right. :thinking:

:scratch:

... I... didn't... predict... anything...

I kind of did the opposite of predicting a record by saying I wouldn't be surprised at any record outside of 0-16 or 19-0.

What is still incredible to me that I haven't seen anyone mention here is we lost 3 games last year to teams with double digit losses! Bengals, Jets, and Jags. That is mind numbing. And,yes, I know the Bengals and Jet games were early, but still I can't imagine losing those kind of games this year. But on the flip side we almost lost to the Dolphins and Giants, 2 clearly vastly inferior teams. We need to be ready to play from day one this year, and I'm sure we will be. Go Colts!

On 5/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I mean outside of 19-0 or 0-16.

I can see this team continuing to improve and take the next step.  The Colts could be in the AFCCG or even the SB this year.  It's not unreasonable to think the Colts could hoist the Lombardi this year if everything goes right.

I can also see this team regress from last year.  Remember that last year was the first year in new systems on both offense and defense.  Opponents might be better prepared for the Colts this year since they have a years worth of film to study from last year.  This is a very young team, and a few significant injuries could really sink the ship like 2011 and 2017.

This season could go either way, and I don't think I'd be surprised at anything from the worst record in the NFL to being SB champs.

I'll be very surprised if the winner (us or anyone else) of our division has more than 12 wins.  I will be slightly surprised if we have more than 11 wins.  I will be slightly surprise if we have less than 9 wins.  I would be shocked, short of an injury to Luck, if we have a losing record.  

I don't expect any rookie on the team not names Campbell even making the Pro Bowl so I'd be shocked if one of them did and surprised if Campbell did.  I'll be surprised if more than 2 rookies start the entire season.  I would be surprised if none of them did.  

I would be surprised if The Maniac makes All Pro again this year.  I will be surprised if Nelson does not make All Pro.   (I think with all the new depth on Defense, his stats will go down by default.  Others will make the tackle before he gets there etc.).  I'll also be surprised if he leads the league in tackles again this year.  I think in the case of Nelson, he plays one of the most invisible positions to fans and the media (outside of Indy) so his name, due to his fame and building legend, will draw far more votes than any other guard among all people including players and media.  So he will get disproportionate coverage at his position than others.  It may well be deserved, so I am not suggesting otherwise, but his pathway to notoriety is far more apparent than any other Guard in the league.  

I'd be surprised if Ebron was able to match his stats from last year and I would be surprised if Hilton doesn't have one of his top 3 seasons, even with all the extra talent on the field (if he is injury free of course).   I would be surprised if we don't have a top 3 rushing attack.  There won't be many times the Colts will have 8 men in the box against the running game and if they DO, they'll just pass.  I'll be surprised if all the backs remain healthy and any of them make the Pro Bowl or finish Top 5 in any major stat line.  I think it will be a brigade approach if they stay healthy.  If Ware gets hurt, however, I think would be surprised if Mack has less than 1200 yards.  Ware is just too tempting for him not to get significant carries to cut into Mack's production.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Clearly??? Lol...

The Colts let the Texans leap frog them in divisional standings from '17 to '18...

If one wants to discuss what will define a successful '19 season, it has to start with winning the division, a feat that has elluded the Colts for four seasons. Can't have visions of grandeur without first proving that last years run wasn't a fluke.

If the Colts are the clear-cut "best" team in the AFC South, then they need to go out & win the AFC South. I would think that any reasonable fan would expect this before expecting an AFCCG appearance...

You seem to think that the Colts winning the division is the only measure of success even though the Colts beat Houston twice in 18’, with one of the wins being in fairly convincing fashion on the road in a playoff game.

A team doesn’t win 9 out of 10 games and a road playoff game as a fluke either. They’re the favorites in the AFC South right now and justifiably so.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

How about just trying to win the div.

We didn't win the division last season but we were clearly the best team in the division at the end of the season and proved it twice. We beat Houston at Houston twice including the playoffs. I have no reason to believe we won't win our division and are better than Houston right now. My expectations are AFC Title Game or bust, JMO. Luck is now officially in his prime and has a GM that is great so anything less than going deep in the playoffs would be a fail.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Restored said:

You seem to think that the Colts winning the division is the only measure of success 

If you want to be the class of the conference, you've got to be the class of your division first...

Im excited about the direction of the team too, but I'm not setting unrealistic or premature expectations

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We didn't win the division last season but we were clearly the best team in the division at the end of the season and proved it twice. We beat Houston at Houston twice including the playoffs. I have no reason to believe we won't win our division and are better than Houston right now. My expectations are AFC Title Game or bust, JMO. Luck is now officially in his prime and has a GM that is great so anything less than going deep in the playoffs would be a fail.

Ha, I just hope the Colts can win the season opener!!!

41 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

If you want to be the class of the conference, you've got to be the class of your division first...

Im excited about the direction of the team too, but I'm not setting unrealistic or premature exoectations

That's the thing, by beating Houston twice at Houston and in the playoffs we proved we are the class of division IMO. What good did it do for Houston to win the division last season? Nothing is the answer, we owned them in the playoffs. Houston won the division because we started 1-5, that is the only reason why. We are better than Houston now, so I stick with my opinion. I also think we win the division in 2019 as long as Luck stays healthy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, I just hope the Colts can win the season opener!!!

It wouldn't surprise me if we lose the opener at the Chargers but after that we will roll. That is perhaps the toughest opening game for anyone to start the season. If we lose that game it is not like we lose to Humpty Dumpty haha . I won't even panic like some may, Chargers are on our level and at home, they should beat us.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It wouldn't surprise me if we lose the opener at the Chargers but after that we will roll. That is perhaps the toughest opening game for anyone to start the season. If we lose that game it is not like we lose to Humpty Dumpty haha . I won't even panic like some may, Chargers are on our level and at home, they should beat us.

Come over here young man...

I'm gonna wash your mouth out with soap, how dare you!  lmao

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a very tough opener. If we do win that, that will show me a lot and be a huge win obviously.

The only way we are winning more than 11 games is to start with a win in San Diego.  I don't expect the division winner will have more than 11 wins, 10 seems likely.  Unfortunately, that will also likely put us in the 3rd or worse spot if we do win the division and only get 10 or 11 wins.  The San Diego game is brutal in that it is actually a "must win" to have any shot at a first round Bye.  It is too bad we have so many of our toughest games on the road.  I think we might have the toughest road schedule in the NFL.  

24 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

The only way we are winning more than 11 games is to start with a win in San Diego.  I don't expect the division winner will have more than 11 wins, 10 seems likely.  Unfortunately, that will also likely put us in the 3rd or worse spot if we do win the division and only get 10 or 11 wins.  The San Diego game is brutal in that it is actually a "must win" to have any shot at a first round Bye.  It is too bad we have so many of our toughest games on the road.  I think we might have the toughest road schedule in the NFL.  

I had that as 1 of our losses but still have us winning 11. If we beat the Chargers, the Colts could win 12 games.

9 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Im excited about the direction of the team too, but I'm not setting unrealistic or premature exoectations

This isn’t always true. There have been teams that have advanced beyond their division winners in the postseason. I’m not saying the Colts will win the Super Bowl, but being division champions and maybe getting a first round bye isn’t too unrealistic as it stands today.

On 5/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I mean outside of 19-0 or 0-16.

I can see this team continuing to improve and take the next step.  The Colts could be in the AFCCG or even the SB this year.  It's not unreasonable to think the Colts could hoist the Lombardi this year if everything goes right.

I can also see this team regress from last year.  Remember that last year was the first year in new systems on both offense and defense.  Opponents might be better prepared for the Colts this year since they have a years worth of film to study from last year.  This is a very young team, and a few significant injuries could really sink the ship like 2011 and 2017.

This season could go either way, and I don't think I'd be surprised at anything from the worst record in the NFL to being SB champs.

You wouldn't be surprised if we had the worst record in the NFL?? You can't be serious...

5 hours ago, JPFolks said:

In theory, Houston should have a tougher schedule than us.  In my mind, it's about equal.  They get NE and Baltimore while we have Miami and Pittsburgh.  I think the Steelers are potentially better than the Ravens.  But NE is going to be a lot better than the Dolphins.

What really stinks is that the Jags have the easiest schedule and maybe a better team than Houston.

I agree, the SD game is kind of key.  Even if we win the division, that game could decide on HFA in the playoffs.

31 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

In theory, Houston should have a tougher schedule than us.  In my mind, it's about equal.  They get NE and Baltimore while we have Miami and Pittsburgh.  I think the Steelers are potentially better than the Ravens.  But NE is going to be a lot better than the Dolphins.

What really stinks is that the Jags have the easiest schedule and maybe a better team than Houston.

I agree, the SD game is kind of key.  Even if we win the division, that game could decide on HFA in the playoffs.

I think the Chargers game, though it is early in the season, will be a decent barometer for how the Colts fair against some of the upper echelon teams in the league.

The time has come for the Colts to step up and prove they can be the team that no one wants to face each week.

• Like 1

I'd be surprised if the Colts won more than 12 games.

I'd be surprised if the Colts lost more than 8 games.

I'd be surprised if Mack has more than 1200 rushing yards.

I'd be surprised if Ebron has more than 10 TD's.

I'd be surprised if Adams FG% doesn't continue to trend down.

When you plan the work before you do the work it typically ends up as planned like building a house. Since Ballard is moving according to his plan and not the thoughts and ideas of everyone else it tells me this is going to be a real nice future. "All things good come to those who wait."  

2 hours ago, Restored said:

I think the Chargers game, though it is early in the season, will be a decent barometer for how the Colts fair against some of the upper echelon teams in the league.

The time has come for the Colts to step up and prove they can be the team that no one wants to face each week.

It will be a decent barometer, as long as we keep in mind that what happens in game 1 is not always an indication of how the season will go.  The first week of the season is always weird.

Last year we lost to the Bengals and the Bucs beat the Saints, both wins on the road.  And you know how their seasons turned out. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BigQungus said:

You wouldn't be surprised if we had the worst record in the NFL?? You can't be serious...

Like I said in the OP, a few bad injuries could de-rail the season like 2011 and 2017.

We had the 3rd worst record without Luck in 2017.

If we lost Luck, TY, Leonard and Hooker for the entire season (knock on wood), would you be surprised if we had the worst record in the NFL?

3 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Like I said in the OP, a few bad injuries could de-rail the season like 2011 and 2017.

We had the 3rd worst record without Luck in 2017.

If we lost Luck, TY, Leonard and Hooker for the entire season (knock on wood), would you be surprised if we had the worst record in the NFL?

This begs the question: would you be surprised if we lost all those players for the entire year?

I know I would be.  Thus, I would still be surprised if we ended up with the worst record in the NFL.

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

New England has the easiest schedule in the league.  They could push for an undefeated season if they get past Philly and Dallas which are the only two tough games they have.  They almost always lose a stupid game against inferior talent each season before they rev the engines but should they desire it and Brady is still playing well, he could go out undefeated to cap off his all time career.  Their schedule is that easy.  I don't think Baltimore will win their division, I expect them all to do well against the AFC East going 3-1 as the other 3 teams in that division are garbage.  Worst division and easiest schedule, the Patriots will yawn their way to the first round bye again.  14-2 or 13-3 is the very worst I can see them going unless Brady falls off a cliff.  If he does they will still easily win their division.  

8 hours ago, JPFolks said:

New England has the easiest schedule in the league.  They could push for an undefeated season if they get past Philly and Dallas which are the only two tough games they have.  They almost always lose a stupid game against inferior talent each season before they rev the engines but should they desire it and Brady is still playing well, he could go out undefeated to cap off his all time career.  Their schedule is that easy.  I don't think Baltimore will win their division, I expect them all to do well against the AFC East going 3-1 as the other 3 teams in that division are garbage.  Worst division and easiest schedule, the Patriots will yawn their way to the first round bye again.  14-2 or 13-3 is the very worst I can see them going unless Brady falls off a cliff.  If he does they will still easily win their division.  

The Bills, Jets and Dolphins over the past 15 years makes the Titans, Jags and Texans look like power houses.

• Like 1

The only thing that would really surprise me this season is if we missed the playoffs. Luck should be fully healthy, the team has another years' experience, and we have another draft class added to the team under Ballard's philosophies that should make the team stronger, starter and depth-wise. I expect 10 wins and at least a wildcard, even with the harder schedule. After that, we'll really learn how much we improved in the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, Myles said:

The Bills, Jets and Dolphins over the past 15 years makes the Titans, Jags and Texans look like power houses.

Um no. Not sure what you are basing this on but you are way off with this comment. Texans have had several solid years over the last 15 years, Jags were just in the AFC Title Game 2 years ago, and the Titans even won the division in 2008 when Manning was in his prime. The Bills have made the playoffs once over the last 15 years, Dolphins and Jets routinely stink. The Jets in 2009 and 2010 had 2 solid years where they went to the AFC Title Game, outside of that they have sucked. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Um no. Not sure what you are basing this on but you are way off with this comment. Texans have had several solid years over the last 15 years, Jags were just in the AFC Title Game 2 years ago, and the Titans even won the division in 2008 when Manning was in his prime. The Bills have made the playoffs once over the last 15 years, Dolphins and Jets routinely stink. The Jets in 2009 and 2010 had 2 solid years where they went to the AFC Title Game, outside of that they have sucked. 

Never mind @Myles, I read your post wrong. lmao . 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I've been playing video games all night and watching the PBA quarterfinals, so I'm right there with you.

Yeah when I first read his post, I was thinking he meant the Bills, Phins, and Jets have been powerhouses compared to the Titans, Jags, and Texans. :funny:

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah when I first read his post, I was thinking he meant the Bills, Phins, and Jets have been powerhouses compared to the Titans, Jags, and Texans. :funny:

Yeah, our division has been a little tougher than those 3. The Titans can't beat us with Luck though, so I enjoy that. Only divisional opponent I fear is the Jags. They seem to shut us down pretty well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, our division has been a little tougher than those 3. The Titans can't beat us with Luck though, so I enjoy that. Only divisional opponent I fear is the Jags. They seem to shut us down pretty well.

Jags have Foles now too, he is better than Bortles. They could be a 9 or 10 win team with that D they have.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2019 at 8:21 AM, Stephen said:

I'll be surprised  if we win our first game. We haven't  had much luck in first games since  Luck has arrived. 

I think I'm with you... no expectations for this year. JUst will be happy to see the Colts back out there.

But I would be surprised if we actually started off the season fast.. I just wanna see 3-1 or 4-1 next to the Colts logo for once! :hissy: lol

• Like 1