Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would anything surprise you this season?

Lucky Colts Fan

I mean outside of 19-0 or 0-16.

I can see this team continuing to improve and take the next step.  The Colts could be in the AFCCG or even the SB this year.  It's not unreasonable to think the Colts could hoist the Lombardi this year if everything goes right.

I can also see this team regress from last year.  Remember that last year was the first year in new systems on both offense and defense.  Opponents might be better prepared for the Colts this year since they have a years worth of film to study from last year.  This is a very young team, and a few significant injuries could really sink the ship like 2011 and 2017.

This season could go either way, and I don't think I'd be surprised at anything from the worst record in the NFL to being SB champs.

• Like 1

Good post,  Chloe...

While I think regression is possible I don’t think it’s likely.   I think only bad injuries could lead to a disastrous season.   I think it’s more likely we’d have a disappointing season than a bad season.   Like, 8-8 or something close that would leave us out of the playoffs.

But I think the most likely outcome is making the playoffs.   The only question is how far do we go?   One win?   Two wins?   More? 

This is a much harder schedule this year, so we could finish pretty close to last year’s totals.   Some would be satisfied with that but others would be badly disappointed.   That’s life with higher expectations.   It’s a very different world.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it will be a disapointment  if we don’t make the AFCCG. We need to get farther then last year. It’s going to be interesting to see how this team handles the success of last year and being a favorite to win it all. This is where the high character should pay off.

Yeah my expectations are 11-5 and an AFC Title Game appearance so anything less than would disappoint me. Not making the playoffs and going something like 8-8 or 9-7 though would floor me.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think it will be a disapointment  if we don’t make the AFCCG. We need to get farther then last year. It’s going to be interesting to see how this team handles the success of last year and being a favorite to win it all. This is where the high character should pay off.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah my expectations are 11-5 and an AFC Title Game appearance so anything less than would disappoint me. Not making the playoffs and going something like 8-8 or 9-7 though would floor me.

Lol...

How about just trying to win the div.

• Thanks 1

Way tougher schedule this yr.  and while I can’t predict what I believe the record will be.    Throwing out 10-6 or 11-5 is silly unless you say who they lose/win to 

I’m optimistic but mostly because of Luck./Reich    

Give me some one time to make a prediction on W/L

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I mean outside of 19-0 or 0-16.

I can see this team continuing to improve and take the next step.  The Colts could be in the AFCCG or even the SB this year.  It's not unreasonable to think the Colts could hoist the Lombardi this year if everything goes right.

I can also see this team regress from last year.  Remember that last year was the first year in new systems on both offense and defense.  Opponents might be better prepared for the Colts this year since they have a years worth of film to study from last year.  This is a very young team, and a few significant injuries could really sink the ship like 2011 and 2017.

This season could go either way, and I don't think I'd be surprised at anything from the worst record in the NFL to being SB champs.

That's a pretty Bold prediction, But you could be right. :thinking:

8 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Lol...

Well, since the Colts haven't won the division since 2014, it'd be a good place to start...

The Colts didn't win the division last year but they were clearly the best team in it.

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Good point.  CB's effort to mix vets with this young core could really come into play this year.   It would be easy to get a big head after that great run last year.  The loss to KC was humbling and hopefully the kids will stay with the basics and will focus on improving, not living off last year's record.  I'm sure Reich and crew will be preaching it, but the vets could also play a big role in training camp.  The competition will also help.

I’m going to go the opposite of the other posters and say I would be surprised with a 16-0 regular season, or even 15-1. However, it would be a very good surprise so I wouldn’t be upset if the team goes out there and gets that! Let’s go Blue!

Count me in the group that would not be shocked if they slightly regress. I think it's entirely possible they will be a much better team but could finish with the same or less wins due to the brutal schedule.

There's been so much hype around the team and I'm not quite sure it's totally deserved...yet. There are still a few holes on the roster. I think this team can be very good, compete for the division title and a top 4 team in the AFC if all goes right. I just don't know if they're the SB contenders that many on this board proclaim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'll be surprised  if we win our first game. We haven't  had much luck in first games since  Luck has arrived. 

Against San Diego-should be a solid indication of which team is ready to go. Some pick SD to go to the SB this season and some pick the Colts. I don't any threat from Tennessee and Houston this year. Jacksonville is a guess until we see how their QB does. KC is my biggest worry to win it all.

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'll be surprised  if we win our first game. We haven't  had much luck in first games since  Luck has arrived. 

That first game could actually be important in deciding home field in the playoffs.  I'm very optimistic about the upcoming year and if we could start off with an important conference win on the road in our first game I think it would really set the the team up for a great season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Restored said:

The Colts didn't win the division last year but they were clearly the best team in it.

Clearly??? Lol...

The Colts let the Texans leap frog them in divisional standings from '17 to '18...

If one wants to discuss what will define a successful '19 season, it has to start with winning the division, a feat that has elluded the Colts for four seasons. Can't have visions of grandeur without first proving that last years run wasn't a fluke.

If the Colts are the clear-cut "best" team in the AFC South, then they need to go out & win the AFC South. I would think that any reasonable fan would expect this before expecting an AFCCG appearance...

I would be surprised by having one of the poorer records...provided a certain #12 stays healthy.

But a 7-8 win season would not shock me. Schedule is much tougher on paper. Of course there’s always a chance it’s not as tough...but there’s also a chance it’s even tougher.

And there could absolutely be regression. Plus, teams have tape on the Colts offense this year.

I am excited as I have ever been...but I will have a much better expectation after a handful of weeks into the season.

I think the expectations for this team are set far too high because we won 10 out of 12 games to end the year last season.

Ive heard everything from Dynasty, Superbowl champs to guaranteed to win the division...lol. I enjoy the optimism but its a all a little pre mature IMO.

I could see a lot of people schocked if we ended 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Which really is not far fetched, its still a young team and Ballard is still  building.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think the expectations for this team are set far too high because we won 10 out of 12 games to end the year last season.

Ive heard everything from Dynasty, Superbowl champs to guaranteed to win the division...lol. I enjoy the optimism but its a all a little pre mature IMO.

I could see a lot of people schocked if we ended 9-7 and missed the playoffs. Which really is not far fetched, its still a young team and Ballard is still  building.

The 2018 team started out with a 1-5 record with a whole new coaching staff, brand new offensive and defensive schemes and personnel mostly fitted

for those schemes. 

This year, the team will start game one with knowing both the

offensive and defensive schemes along with upgraded personnel 

aquisititions over the off-season. 

The Pats, Chiefs and Steelers are going to be big hurdles this year, 

but rest assured that these teams won't want to face the Colts either.

58 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Agreed. Let's not forget the soft schedule down the stretch and beating a very overrated Texans team. When the team lined up at Arrowhead the following week, the talent gap was very noticeable. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Agreed. Let's not forget the soft schedule down the stretch and beating a very overrated Texans team. When the team lined up at Arrowhead the following week, the talent gap was very noticeable. 

Not really.  The offense didn't  show and hooker didn't  play

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Agree to disagree, they got their backsides handed to them in all 3 phases of the game.

Oct 3rd 2018 colts vs patriots 

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS (2-2)

OUT
No Players Listed

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (1-3)

OUT
TE Jack Doyle - Hip (DNP)
T Denzelle Good - Not Injury Related - Personal Matter (DNP)
WR T.Y. Hilton - Chest/Hamstring (DNP)
RB Marlon Mack - Hamstring (DNP)
CB Kenny Moore II - Concussion (DNP)
DT Hassan Ridgeway - Calf (DNP)
CB Quincy Wilson - Concussion (DNP)

They played second stringers so the outcome of that game was no surprise. 

Everyone knew before that game kicked off that the colts were depleted and it would take a miracle to win it.

I would have to agree with the masses here and say it would be surprising if the Colts don't at least make the post-season, especially if Luck remains healthy.  I don't think Brissett can guide them there for more than 2-3 games.  I suppose if it's a December injury they could still make it, but not if before IMHO.  It wouldn't even surprise me much if they made the Superbowl.  I think they have that much going for them.  

29 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

OUT
No Players Listed

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (1-3)

OUT

Everyone knew before that game kicked off that the colts were depleted and it would take a miracle to win it.

I believe Darius Leonard was out this game as well?

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

OUT
No Players Listed

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS (1-3)

OUT

I think Leonard was out that NE also. We had 11 starters out I believe. If we had been healthy I think we win that game.

We are not as bad as we showed in KC. We were a young team that had injuries that ran out of gas. That is why we built depth this off season.