Jump to content
Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!
Sign in to follow this  
Scott Pennock

Devin Funchess

Recommended Posts

I know he's come in and impressed in the offseason workouts thus far but something has always stuck in my craw about complaints against him: hands and a slow 40 time at the combine of 4.70.

 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-funchess?id=2552458

 

At his Pro day supposedly he ran a 4.47 and a 4.53.

 

After watching both college and pro video of him he definitely runs closer to 4.50 than 4.70. In fact, his game speed reminds me a lot of Reggie Wayne's - though obviously not as good a route runner or the hands, just the game speed.

 

Has anyone actually seen him run versus our DB's this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I know he's come in and impressed in the offseason workouts thus far but something has always stuck in my craw about complaints against him: hands and a slow 40 time at the combine of 4.70.

 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-funchess?id=2552458

 

At his Pro day supposedly he ran a 4.47 and a 4.53.

 

After watching both college and pro video of him he definitely runs closer to 4.50 than 4.70. In fact, his game speed reminds me a lot of Reggie Wayne's - though obviously not as good a route runner or the hands, just the game speed.

 

Has anyone actually seen him run versus our DB's this year?

he's got build up speed, but not really a deep threat. he's got good hips and is probably quicker than fast. I'd say he's closer to 4.6ish than 4.5 or 4.7. 

 

I'd bet a paycheck that he's used predominantly in short and intermediate routes (at X). Hoping he's used heavy as "big slot" where his catch % is the highest. 

 

Regardless, he's going to do better with Luck as his QB in terms of drops. I just hope folks don't expect to him be a well rounded X. Big slot, possession X, RZ, and short yardage is where he can kill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regardless of his timed speed I've seen him outrun enough DB's to know he isn't too slow to play WR and he can create separation.

 

Having said that, I'm with you @Irish YJ in that they will play him (and Campbell) to their strengths while developing the rest of their route tree's in practice.

 

That's where another X receiver needs to step up like Cain, Fountain, Johnson, etc., to give Sirianni and Reich more route combo options to work with.

 

I'd personally love some 4 WR sets with a RB leaking out or an empty backfield with Ebron and 4 WR's - that would be "Greatest Show on Turf" video game stuff all over again!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Regardless of his timed speed I've seen him outrun enough DB's to know he isn't too slow to play WR and he can create separation.

 

Having said that, I'm with you @Irish YJ in that they will play him (and Campbell) to their strengths while developing the rest of their route tree's in practice.

 

That's where another X receiver needs to step up like Cain, Fountain, Johnson, etc., to give Sirianni and Reich more route combo options to work with.

 

I'd personally love some 4 WR sets with a RB leaking out or an empty backfield with Ebron and 4 WR's - that would be "Greatest Show on Turf" video game stuff all over again!

I'd love to see a few 4 vert sets per game with TY, Campbell, Cain (if healthy), and Ebron (or Hines). If we could be successful on those, the running lanes would open up and teams would be like wth.....

 

Funchess had pretty poor separation stats last year (ranked in the 90s), so not going to get my hopes up. He had better separation over the middle than out wide. 

 

If we could establish a well rounded X with Cain or Fountain, I agree. Greatest show on turf. Crazy options all over the field. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

After watching both college and pro video of him he definitely runs closer to 4.50 than 4.70. In fact, his game speed reminds me a lot of Reggie Wayne's - though obviously not as good a route runner or the hands, just the game speed.

 

 

His combine speed was always considered questionable. I don't know about 4.47 at his pro day, but I've always thought splitting the difference made sense in his case. He's probably not a 4.5 guy, but I don't think he's a 4.7 guy, either.

 

Regardless, he's not a burner. He has to run good routes to separate, and he's a better route runner than he's usually given credit for. If the staff uses him on his best routes, the ones that connect with what Luck does well, I think he'll be productive for us.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what we have seen DF doesnt need separation. He is so big he just goes up over the DB and gets it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Regardless of his timed speed I've seen him outrun enough DB's to know he isn't too slow to play WR and he can create separation.

 

Having said that, I'm with you @Irish YJ in that they will play him (and Campbell) to their strengths while developing the rest of their route tree's in practice.

 

That's where another X receiver needs to step up like Cain, Fountain, Johnson, etc., to give Sirianni and Reich more route combo options to work with.

 

I'd personally love some 4 WR sets with a RB leaking out or an empty backfield with Ebron and 4 WR's - that would be "Greatest Show on Turf" video game stuff all over again!

Hines becomes the other slot guy especially out of the backfield

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shepman said:

Hines becomes the other slot guy especially out of the backfield

Hines had a fantastic rookie season with 700+ all purpose yards. 

 

He's going to be a fun watch as the O matures. He's got jets.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • As much as I hate to say it as a fan of the Colts, Bellicheck is the GOAT in NFL history, and that’s including all the amazing players on that list. He led the Pats to all there wins, which is why I don’t think Brady is the GOAT because Bellicheck could probably do that with anyone. If Reich comes anywhere close to that level, we have something special, but that’s not to say Dungy didn’t gameplan. Bellicheck is just a few tiers away from everyone, with the two tiers behind him of all time coaches being empty. 
    • Edit: Mudd listed Walter Jones as the best he’d coached. My bad
    • He did, however the versatility of the Colts defense  was far less than I would like to see in 2019. Actually, for me, one the most intriquing queston right now is how much different the Colts defense will be in 2019? I want Eberflush to spice it up, using less soft zone and more press, man, etc. The fact that they drafted Ya-Sin and Okereke is a good sign. This indicates that 2018 was just a milestone in Eberflus's plans, but not the final destination.
    • If he “raises the play” of the Oline, and they can stay healthy, this is gonna be a fun year.   The 1-5 start had backups at the tackle position and I don’t think it’s a coincidence we started winning games, once Castonzo and Smith started.     In the article, he mentions Howard Jones as the best he’s coached. I was getting an autograph from Freeney once and asked him who’s the best he’s faced. I then asked “what about the pair from the Bengals” and he conceded they were “athletic”.     https://www.colts.com/news/howard-mudd-talks-blocking-technique-quenton-nelson-on-move-the-sticks-podcast    
    • Peyton 3-1 vs he and Brady in AFC Title games 
  • Members

    • akcolt

      akcolt 2,563

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • lincolndefan

      lincolndefan 2

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Susie Q

      Susie Q 1,357

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 118

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Greyghost80

      Greyghost80 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Blueblood23

      Blueblood23 229

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • aaron11

      aaron11 2,022

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shepman

      Shepman 220

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WarGhost21

      WarGhost21 930

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfeva

      coltsfeva 1,120

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...