Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Devin Funchess

Scott Pennock

I know he's come in and impressed in the offseason workouts thus far but something has always stuck in my craw about complaints against him: hands and a slow 40 time at the combine of 4.70.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-funchess?id=2552458

At his Pro day supposedly he ran a 4.47 and a 4.53.

After watching both college and pro video of him he definitely runs closer to 4.50 than 4.70. In fact, his game speed reminds me a lot of Reggie Wayne's - though obviously not as good a route runner or the hands, just the game speed.

Has anyone actually seen him run versus our DB's this year?

38 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

I know he's come in and impressed in the offseason workouts thus far but something has always stuck in my craw about complaints against him: hands and a slow 40 time at the combine of 4.70.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/devin-funchess?id=2552458

At his Pro day supposedly he ran a 4.47 and a 4.53.

After watching both college and pro video of him he definitely runs closer to 4.50 than 4.70. In fact, his game speed reminds me a lot of Reggie Wayne's - though obviously not as good a route runner or the hands, just the game speed.

Has anyone actually seen him run versus our DB's this year?

he's got build up speed, but not really a deep threat. he's got good hips and is probably quicker than fast. I'd say he's closer to 4.6ish than 4.5 or 4.7. 

I'd bet a paycheck that he's used predominantly in short and intermediate routes (at X). Hoping he's used heavy as "big slot" where his catch % is the highest. 

Regardless, he's going to do better with Luck as his QB in terms of drops. I just hope folks don't expect to him be a well rounded X. Big slot, possession X, RZ, and short yardage is where he can kill. 

Regardless of his timed speed I've seen him outrun enough DB's to know he isn't too slow to play WR and he can create separation.

Having said that, I'm with you @Irish YJ in that they will play him (and Campbell) to their strengths while developing the rest of their route tree's in practice.

That's where another X receiver needs to step up like Cain, Fountain, Johnson, etc., to give Sirianni and Reich more route combo options to work with.

I'd personally love some 4 WR sets with a RB leaking out or an empty backfield with Ebron and 4 WR's - that would be "Greatest Show on Turf" video game stuff all over again!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Regardless of his timed speed I've seen him outrun enough DB's to know he isn't too slow to play WR and he can create separation.

Having said that, I'm with you @Irish YJ in that they will play him (and Campbell) to their strengths while developing the rest of their route tree's in practice.

That's where another X receiver needs to step up like Cain, Fountain, Johnson, etc., to give Sirianni and Reich more route combo options to work with.

I'd personally love some 4 WR sets with a RB leaking out or an empty backfield with Ebron and 4 WR's - that would be "Greatest Show on Turf" video game stuff all over again!

I'd love to see a few 4 vert sets per game with TY, Campbell, Cain (if healthy), and Ebron (or Hines). If we could be successful on those, the running lanes would open up and teams would be like wth.....

Funchess had pretty poor separation stats last year (ranked in the 90s), so not going to get my hopes up. He had better separation over the middle than out wide. 

If we could establish a well rounded X with Cain or Fountain, I agree. Greatest show on turf. Crazy options all over the field. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

His combine speed was always considered questionable. I don't know about 4.47 at his pro day, but I've always thought splitting the difference made sense in his case. He's probably not a 4.5 guy, but I don't think he's a 4.7 guy, either.

Regardless, he's not a burner. He has to run good routes to separate, and he's a better route runner than he's usually given credit for. If the staff uses him on his best routes, the ones that connect with what Luck does well, I think he'll be productive for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

Hines becomes the other slot guy especially out of the backfield

• Thanks 1