Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
PrincetonTiger

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Just got an NFL Network notice that the Colts are out on McCoy....price too high..per Tom Pelissero. 

 

The did reach out but his asking price is still around the $13 mil etc....who knows maybe something changes in the future if he doesn't sign elsewhere. 

Nothing has really changed here.  Asking and receiving are two separate things.  Just guessing but I would bet if the Browns or Ravens offered something close to 13M he would have signed.  I'm glad to hear we reached out.  My guess is our door is still open if he comes down from that asking price.  Good for him if he can get it though.  Now it's the Panthers turn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was no sources in the nfl video. It was all speculation because he hasn’t visited.  You never know ballard could be seeing what his price is and swoop in at the last minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Autry,  Lewis,  Ward...   even Hint in a pinch.     Ballard may not see the need that you do.....

Every one of the experts you cite on NFL.com, ESPN.com, etc., all say our biggest need going into the draft was iDL improvement. 

 

Pretty sure Ballard knows there's a need, just like everyone else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

My guess (and that's all it is) is that Ballard just doesn't see the value in him at anything like $10-12MM/year for a rotational guy. 

higer AV than Houston and 9 more QB hits...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Every one of the experts you cite on NFL.com, ESPN.com, etc., all say our biggest need going into the draft was iDL improvement. 

 

Pretty sure Ballard knows there's a need, just like everyone else. 

 

You know....   almost every time you try to chacacteruze what I say,  what I think, what I believe,  you get it wrong.

 

Its pretty damn impressive.

 

And since I’m on record in every McCoy thread as wanting McCoy,  I’m not even sure you realize that WE AGREE!

 

Hello?!?

 

And if we sign him, then Ballard agrees with both of us.   But if Ballard chooses not to sign him, and he’s got all this money,  then he doesn’t agree and we’ll just have to get over it.   Things aren’t always so obvious as you seem to think they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

 

You know....   almost every time you try to chacacteruze what I say,  what I think, what I believe,  you get it wrong.

 

Its pretty damn impressive.

 

And since I’m on record in every McCoy thread as wanting McCoy,  I’m not even sure you realize that WE AGREE!

 

Hello?!?

 

And if we sign him, then Ballard agrees with both of us.   But if Ballard chooses not to sign him, and he’s got all this money,  then he doesn’t agree and we’ll just have to get over it.   Things aren’t always so obvious as you seem to think they are.

Then why do you reply "Ballard may not see the need that you do....."... It's a whiny passive aggressive dig... And if you agree we need iDL, then you should have said "Ballard may not see the need that WE do....."

 

Just about every expert on the planet listed iDL as a top need. Do you really think Ballard disagrees with literally everyone, or is simply blind to it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

There was no sources in the nfl video. It was all speculation because he hasn’t visited.  You never know ballard could be seeing what his price is and swoop in at the last minute.

 

Ballard will not outbid anyone. Unless true offers were dirt cheap. Period. End.

 

The Pro personnel department and pro (and maybe college) scouts have a  scouting report and a '$ number, a value' placed on him (and lots of NFL players/others). They will not revise and extend upon that # at the last minute for emotional/other reasons.  They aren't "fans", they run this team/organization.  They set and operate to protocol.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Ballard will not outbid anyone. Unless true offers were dirt cheap. Period. End.

 

The Pro personnel department and pro (and maybe college) scouts have a  scouting report and a '$ number, a value' placed on him (and lots of NFL players/others). They will not revise and extend upon that # at the last minute for emotional/other reasons.  They aren't "fans", they run this team/organization.  They set and operate to protocol.

I didn’t say any of that.lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Ballard will not outbid anyone. Unless true offers were dirt cheap. Period. End.

 

The Pro personnel department and pro (and maybe college) scouts have a  scouting report and a '$ number, a value' placed on him (and lots of NFL players/others). They will not revise and extend upon that # at the last minute for emotional/other reasons.  They aren't "fans", they run this team/organization.  They set and operate to protocol.

I agree with the premise but if I had to guess it would probably be a range they would be comfortable with versus a set dollar figure.  Agents and FO are all about negotiating.  Give and take so to speak so everyone feels happy at the end.  The FO probably has a range they feel good about and as long as the talks are within those parameters anything could happen is my guess.  Even at the top end of a range there could be a little wiggle room given the size of many of these contracts.  I think every situation and FA is different so negotiations are probably handled accordingly.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if we don't spend the 13 million for 1 or 2 years what does that get us? How does that make us better??I could understand if we had cap issues but we don't...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe he doesn’t want to be a rotational player. I doubt he is going to get 13m. That is  his agent trying to drive up the price. When I said ballard could swoop in I didn’t mean outbid. If he ends up on the browns or ravens a good winning team must not of wanted him or he is lying. I really don’t think Ballard thinks we need him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You never know ballard could be seeing what his price is and swoop in at the last minute.

 

3 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Ballard will not outbid anyone. Unless true offers were dirt cheap. Period. End.

 

My position... No swooping in unless other teams low balled him...  That's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

 

My position... No swooping in unless other teams low balled him...  That's all.

That was the point I was trying to make.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has always, always been the likely case.

 

McCoy refused a pay cut off of his $13M figure.

 

That always meant his starting point was going to be around that number because that is where he valued himself in refusing the cut.

 

I also think most teams (and maybe us as well) were always going to want to come in around $8-$10M.

 

So it also does not surprise me to hear the $11M figure cited since it is probably to hopefully help bring that number up from contenders that are probably offering in the 8-10 range.

 

We basically paid Hankins $10.5M for one year when he was here.

 

I always thought that left a slightly bitter taste in management's mouth and it was unlikely we would approach that $10M a year figure in these McCoy discussions.

 

If the reports are true then the Colts interest was exactly what many figured:

 

We called and asked "hey what are you looking for?"

 

We heard the number and said "oh ok thanks" and we moved on.

 

Now if he comes down, then maybe we play. But if he comes down then he probably falls right in the range of what the Browns/Ravens etc are also offering. And since he visited those teams, had good visits, they showed a good amount of interest beyond a simple phone call, etc then he likely goes to one of them.

 

I wish McCoy well and hope he gets as close to that $13M as he can. But it sure seems like he will not get anywhere close w the Colts and it has always been unlikely that he would anyhow.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PeterBowman said:

Just got an NFL Network notice that the Colts are out on McCoy....price too high..per Tom Pelissero. 

 

The did reach out but his asking price is still around the $13 mil etc....who knows maybe something changes in the future if he doesn't sign elsewhere. 

I think this ship has sailed as far as him signing with the Colts.  Hope what we got at DT is enough to survive the post season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

Then why do you reply "Ballard may not see the need that you do....."... It's a whiny passive aggressive dig... And if you agree we need iDL, then you should have said "Ballard may not see the need that WE do....."

 

Just about every expert on the planet listed iDL as a top need. Do you really think Ballard disagrees with literally everyone, or is simply blind to it?

 

I wrote what I wrote because you’re the one who is insistent that not only do we need to address this position but that every expert has agreed with that viewpoint.   True or not, Ballard has been here nearly 30 months and it should be obvious by now that he doesn’t care what anyone else thinks.

 

Ballard’s got three promising young players at that position...   perhaps he likes them more than anyone here fully realizes.   Perhaps he’s willing to give those snaps to Autry and Lewis and Ward and feel good about it.  

 

I think Ballard likes McCoy and wants him for all the same reasons you and I and most everyone else here wants him.   But only up to a point.   Past that point CB moves on without regret.  

 

When you insist that something is 100  percent obviously so, you set yourself up for disappointment with Ballard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I think this ship has sailed as far as him signing with the Colts.  Hope what we got at DT is enough to survive the post season. 

I hope they can survive the pre season and regular season to help get us there.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I hope they can survive the pre season and regular season to help get us there.  

I hear ya.  I think they have enough to make the playoffs.  Just don’t believe it will stand up against the physical running game of the Pats or maybe even the Chiefs in December/January.  

 

We will also need enough fresh horses that can get pressure from the inside against QBs like Brady and  Mahomes.  

 

Teams with  balanced run/pass offensive attacks will continue to be tough for us to get past come playoff time...in my opinion.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I wrote what I wrote because you’re the one who is insistent that not only do we need to address this position but that every expert has agreed with that viewpoint.   True or not, Ballard has been here nearly 30 months and it should be obvious by now that he doesn’t care what anyone else thinks.

 

Ballard’s got three promising young players at that position...   perhaps he likes them more than anyone here fully realizes.   Perhaps he’s willing to give those snaps to Autry and Lewis and Ward and feel good about it.  

 

I think Ballard likes McCoy and wants him for all the same reasons you and I and most everyone else here wants him.   But only up to a point.   Past that point CB moves on without regret.  

 

When you insist that something is 100  percent obviously so, you set yourself up for disappointment with Ballard.

Your point about having good, promising players at the inside DT slot is probably right. Ballard will want to get them the experience they need, and he likely values them higher than the "experts" or people on this Board do. Thus, the decision not to grab a top DT in the draft when there were several still around at 26. McCoy is a quality player, will likely have another good  year in 2019, and will most likely not be on a championship team doing it. Meaning....not the Colts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be obvious to McCoy that the Colts are a team that very well could rise to the top of the league this season. If he wants to be part of something special, pick up the phone and set up a visit.

 

NFL free agents need to start taking note, the Colts don't need anyone who's all about the money. They're not desperate anymore.

 

With that all said, I hope McCoy and his agent come their senses and can convince Ballard that this is where he wants to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Your point about having good, promising players at the inside DT slot is probably right. Ballard will want to get them the experience they need, and he likely values them higher than the "experts" or people on this Board do. Thus, the decision not to grab a top DT in the draft when there were several still around at 26. McCoy is a quality player, will likely have another good  year in 2019, and will most likely not be on a championship team doing it. Meaning....not the Colts. 

 

I hope you’re wrong,  but fear you’re right.   

 

I’m still holding out hope that after McCoy shops himself around,  his agent makes a lastt call to the Colts.   Even if we’re not offering 10-13,  I hope our offer can still be made the highest.   Still crossing my fingers but not feeling optimistic.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I wrote what I wrote because you’re the one who is insistent that not only do we need to address this position but that every expert has agreed with that viewpoint.   True or not, Ballard has been here nearly 30 months and it should be obvious by now that he doesn’t care what anyone else thinks.

 

Ballard’s got three promising young players at that position...   perhaps he likes them more than anyone here fully realizes.   Perhaps he’s willing to give those snaps to Autry and Lewis and Ward and feel good about it.  

 

I think Ballard likes McCoy and wants him for all the same reasons you and I and most everyone else here wants him.   But only up to a point.   Past that point CB moves on without regret.  

 

When you insist that something is 100  percent obviously so, you set yourself up for disappointment with Ballard.

The need is 100% obvious. Saying that, is not setting myself up for disappointment. It's why it was reported that the Colts will kick the tires in the first place.

 

As always, it's a need vs $ decision. There's no question that we have the cap space this year and next. Just because Ballard may not pull the trigger, doesn't mean the need is not obvious. It simply could mean he's working on a budget (Irsay imposed, not necessarily a cap limit). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this interesting:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/gerald-mccoy-will-mull-browns-ravens-and-panthers-over-the-weekend-according-to-a-report.html%3foutputType=amp

 

"McCoy opted to visit the Panthers when the numbers from the Ravens and Browns didn’t come in at the $10 million a year Ndamukong Suh got to replace him in Tampa, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported. The Bengals have also been interested, a league source told cleveland.com, but McCoy wants to play for a contender. It’s why he’s already turned down $11 million a year from a non-contender, the source said."

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aavmarine said:

Found this interesting:

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/05/gerald-mccoy-will-mull-browns-ravens-and-panthers-over-the-weekend-according-to-a-report.html%3foutputType=amp

 

"McCoy opted to visit the Panthers when the numbers from the Ravens and Browns didn’t come in at the $10 million a year Ndamukong Suh got to replace him in Tampa, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reported. The Bengals have also been interested, a league source told cleveland.com, but McCoy wants to play for a contender. It’s why he’s already turned down $11 million a year from a non-contender, the source said."

 

So he doesn't like under 10 from "contenders", and doesn't like 11 from a non-contender... 

 

Perhaps he's already got a team/favorite in mind, that has offered, that are contenders, and he's simply exploring other things. 

 

guessing it will all shake out in a week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Irish YJ said:

 

So he doesn't like under 10 from "contenders", and doesn't like 11 from a non-contender... 

 

Perhaps he's already got a team/favorite in mind, that has offered, that are contenders, and he's simply exploring other things. 

 

guessing it will all shake out in a week.

This is Ballards chance to come in this weekend and get a deal done.  I wouldn't be surprised if McCoys agent has dropped his asking price and lets Ballard know.   You would also think his agent would be working the phones with other contenders.  Of course Ballard has to be willing to do it and my guess is it would probably need to be a little higher than Suhs number.  I'm still holding out hope.  You never know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is all very interesting. I always thought It could be a ballard move to see what other teams were offering so you don’t over pay. I still think there would be no reason to visit here. His reputation speaks for itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is all very interesting. I always thought It could be a ballard move to see what other teams were offering so you don’t over pay. I still think there would be no reason to visit here. His reputation speaks for itself.

The fact he is taking the weekend to decide tells me all of the offers are close and he views them all as about the same as being so called contenders.  We are a much stronger contender than any of those teams.  If Ballard is really interested this weekend has set up perfectly for him.  It shouldn't be long now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you notice the teams that contend year after year spend to the cap.. Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Rams, Seahawks..They don't have years back to back to back 50 million under the cap...I know we are good, but we could be better, just saying.. I'm not sure Irsay means it when he says he will spend...

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If you notice the teams that contend year after year spend to the cap.. Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Rams, Seahawks..They don't have years back to back to back 50 million under the cap...I know we are good, but we could be better, just saying.. I'm not sure Irsay means it when he says he will spend...

 

That is complete nonsense.  

 

If McCoy does not end up in Indy, it will be due to Ballard electing to not go above the $$ threshold he had in mind for him, if he had interest at all.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If you notice the teams that contend year after year spend to the cap.. Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Rams, Seahawks..They don't have years back to back to back 50 million under the cap...I know we are good, but we could be better, just saying.. I'm not sure Irsay means it when he says he will spend...

I sort of view Irsay as a super fan.  He's the owner for sure but he comes across as a big fan like all of us.  I think he's just letting Ballard run the show.  He let Grigson spend when he made the moves with Gore and the others when he thought they were ready to make a run.  I can see him letting Ballard do the same thing.  Ballard went after Collins and Mosley and pulled back when the bidding went crazy.  Ballard has a plan and so far so good.  I just don't see Irsay holding Ballard back.  Especially when he has so much cap space.  JMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If you notice the teams that contend year after year spend to the cap.. Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Rams, Seahawks..They don't have years back to back to back 50 million under the cap...I know we are good, but we could be better, just saying.. I'm not sure Irsay means it when he says he will spend...

Are you forgeting the Grigson years where they spent like crazy on overpaid nobodies? It's fairly obvious it is Ballard's financial plan, not Irsay's. Not sure what you have against Irsay all the time. Besides, the Colts started with over $110 million in cap space and spent over $50m of it, which in any normal year would be a great deal of spending.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, Irish YJ said:

As always, it's a need vs $ decision. There's no question that we have the cap space this year and next. Just because Ballard may not pull the trigger, doesn't mean the need is not obvious. It simply could mean he's working on a budget (Irsay imposed, not necessarily a cap limit). 

 

Ahh... no. If Irsay were to insert himself, he'd ask what does the pro scouting department says about him and what $$ value is attached?   However, he doesn't have to... Ballard has already consulted them and added the data into his mindset/negotiations.  The people Irsay hired and pay to do jobs are all doing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Ahh... no. If Irsay were to insert himself, he'd ask what does the pro scouting department says about him and what $$ value is attached?   However, he doesn't have to... Ballard has already consulted them and added the data into his mindset/negotiations.  The people Irsay hired and pay to do jobs are all doing them.

 

If you think Irsay, or owners in general are 100% hands off, not sure what to tell you. The budget in general was likely set (a range) soon after last season ended. And any major FA acquisition I'm sure gets a nod.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

 

If you think Irsay, or owners in general are 100% hands off, not sure what to tell you. The budget in general was likely set (a range) soon after last season ended. And any major FA acquisition I'm sure gets a nod.

 

 

 

Of course Irsay is in the loop.   He's not finding out what we're doing by looking on Colts.com or NFL.com or ESPN.com.

 

He talks directly with Chris Ballard. 

 

But if we're not signing Gerald McCoy, it is NOT because Ballard wants to,  but Irsay is denying him because GM is too expensive.     We have the most available cap space.   Even if Irsay has a lower ceiling below the cap ceiling,  it's not so low as to prevent us from doing business the way Chris Ballard wants to do business.    We've got the money to spend IF we want to.    The person who is likely most reluctant to spend it isn't Irsay....    it's Ballard.

 

Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page here.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Of course Irsay is in the loop.   He's not finding out what we're doing by looking on Colts.com or NFL.com or ESPN.com.

 

He talks directly with Chris Ballard. 

 

But if we're not signing Gerald McCoy, it is NOT because Ballard wants to,  but Irsay is denying him because GM is too expensive.     We have the most available cap space.   Even if Irsay has a lower ceiling below the cap ceiling,  it's not so low as to prevent us from doing business the way Chris Ballard wants to do business.    We've got the money to spend IF we want to.    The person who is likely most reluctant to spend it isn't Irsay....    it's Ballard.

 

Just trying to make sure we're all on the same page here.....

 

You, me, and the rest on the board have literally no clue as to what Ballard is working with from a budget perspective. We only know the cap numbers. We don't know the one year plan, two year, plan, or xx plan to spend the 89%. We have no idea what limitations Irsay has imposed, etc.. 

 

We all know obvious things, like that Irsay is in the loop, and they talk... Not sure what your point is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

 

You, me, and the rest on the board have literally no clue as to what Ballard is working with from a budget perspective. We only know the cap numbers. We don't know the one year plan, two year, plan, or xx plan to spend the 89%. We have no idea what limitations Irsay has imposed, etc.. 

 

We all know obvious things, like that Irsay is in the loop, and they talk... Not sure what your point is.

 

Do we literally know?    No.

 

But common sense can fill in a good chunk of the blanks.

 

As part of taking the job,  Ballard asked Irsay to spend 8 figures, 10 Mill plus on upgrading the Colts facilities.    Boom!    Done.     

 

Ballard knows what it takes to properly run an NFL team.   Do you think there's even a remote chance that Irsay is imposing some arbitrary limit on what Ballard can spend?   If Ballard isn't spending the money,  it's because he believes that throwing money at veterans often means you're paying for PAST performance and not FUTURE performance.   I'm sure Irsay is thrilled to agree with that.   A GM who doesn't want to spend the owner's money?   I'm sure Irsay loves that!

 

But it's not due to some number that Irsay has thrown at Ballard.    If Ballard thought for one instant that Irsay was preventing him from doing the business he wants to do,  I think Chris Ballard would leave the Colts the first opportunity he gets.   If Ballard leaked out that Irsay was preventing him from spending appropriate money,  Irsay and the Colts would be dead in the water.   It would be the biggest story in the NFL.   The lead story in sports for all the wrong reasons.    The biggest disaster in Colts history.

 

There's a near zero chance that Irsay is preventing Ballard from doing business.   You can hide behind "none of us actually knows" all you want....    but a little common sense can go a long way.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Do we literally know?    No.

 

But common sense can fill in a good chunk of the blanks.

 

As part of taking the job,  Ballard asked Irsay to spend 8 figures, 10 Mill plus on upgrading the Colts facilities.    Boom!    Done.     

 

Ballard knows what it takes to properly run an NFL team.   Do you think there's even a remote chance that Irsay is imposing some arbitrary limit on what Ballard can spend?   If Ballard isn't spending the money,  it's because he believes that throwing money at veterans often means you're paying for PAST performance and not FUTURE performance.   I'm sure Irsay is thrilled to agree with that.   A GM who doesn't want to spend the owner's money?   I'm sure Irsay loves that!

 

But it's not due to some number that Irsay has thrown at Ballard.    If Ballard thought for one instant that Irsay was preventing him from doing the business he wants to do,  I think Chris Ballard would leave the Colts the first opportunity he gets.   If Ballard leaked out that Irsay was preventing him from spending appropriate money,  Irsay and the Colts would be dead in the water.   It would be the biggest story in the NFL.   The lead story in sports for all the wrong reasons.    The biggest disaster in Colts history.

 

There's a near zero chance that Irsay is preventing Ballard from doing business.   You can hide behind "none of us actually knows" all you want....    but a little common sense can go a long way.

 

 

Ballard has been a GM for 2 seasons, and the Colts are his first gig at that level. If you think Irsay hired him and said "I don't care what you do, spend all you want", you're pretty naive. He had to sell his resume like anyone else. And he had to sell his plan for the team.

 

Some of the crap above is simply silly. If Ballard leaked anything, it would put a black mark by his name and would follow him every where he went. He would never be trusted again... Where do you get this crap.

 

Indy is a small market team. Even large market teams have "budgets". Every owner has a different opinion on how money should or should not be spent.  Leaving money unspent is unspent for what reason? A 1 year deal has no real impact to next year. A 2 year deal doesn't have much of an impact either given our project cap situation in 2020. 

 

And yes, we don't know. The fact that you act like you know more than the rest of us is pretty funny. But it wouldn't be the first for you either.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

 

Ballard has been a GM for 2 seasons, and the Colts are his first gig at that level. If you think Irsay hired him and said "I don't care what you do, spend all you want", you're pretty naive. He had to sell his resume like anyone else. And he had to sell his plan for the team.

 

Some of the crap above is simply silly. If Ballard leaked anything, it would put a black mark by his name and would follow him every where he went. He would never be trusted again... Where do you get this crap.

 

Indy is a small market team. Even large market teams have "budgets". Every owner has a different opinion on how money should or should not be spent.  Leaving money unspent is unspent for what reason? A 1 year deal has no real impact to next year. A 2 year deal doesn't have much of an impact either given our project cap situation in 2020. 

 

And yes, we don't know. The fact that you act like you know more than the rest of us is pretty funny. But it wouldn't be the first for you either.

 

Where do I get this stuff?    I think,  that's where.    

 

I appreciate that we live in a time where opinions are more highly prized than facts,  but that's the current world we're stuck in.     

 

Fact: When we signed Ballard in 2017, he was viewed as the number one GM prospect.   You think he had no leverage and yet he was able to get Irsay to spend millions on re-doing the team's facility right out of the gate.    Not bad for a guy with no leverage.    And he's earned more credit by re-building this team almost over night while spending next to nothing.    And he's publicly said he's not about spending a lot of money.   That teams that often are viewed as winning Free Agency or winning the off-season often don't do very well in the next regular season.   The one exception to the rule is the draft.   Guess where Ballard has excelled?   He's earned standing throughout the NFL and clearly with Irsay for spending his money wisely.

 

Sure, all teams have a budget,  but you conveniently ignore the fact that, again,  we still have the most money to spend in the entire league.   Now some of that is likely to go to any contract extensions this off-season.    But the rest is going to stay in the bank earning interest.   But that's Ballard's call, not Irsay's.    Why would Ballard come here to a place where you think we have severe financial restrictions so bad that the GM can't run the day to day operations the way he sees fit?    The man could've picked his team.    He picked Indy.    And yet you think he's being handcuffed.

 

I just love when you call my views silly.    Do you know what's wrong with MY views?   They're not YOUR views!    You've got nothing more on your side of the ledger than I do.   Just your opinion.   Yet you think your views are just fine,  and mine are silly.   This is your arguing style.   My facts are cherry picked,  while your's are great.    Over and over.   I've grown tired of your tactics here.   In case you haven't noticed,  I've barely responded to most of your last dozen or so posts.  Not because I can't.   But because I find you irritating and exhausting.     You recently called me "passive/aggressive".     Hey, we can fix that.   We can drop the whole passive thing and just stay with aggressive.   I can crush your arguments all day long.    It's not hard.    It's sometimes annoying as heck,  but it's not hard.    I was hoping for a nice quiet off-season.  A peaceful summer.    Oh well...   I'm tired of turning the other cheek.    

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

 

Ballard has been a GM for 2 seasons, and the Colts are his first gig at that level. If you think Irsay hired him and said "I don't care what you do, spend all you want", you're pretty naive. He had to sell his resume like anyone else. And he had to sell his plan for the team.

 

Some of the crap above is simply silly. If Ballard leaked anything, it would put a black mark by his name and would follow him every where he went. He would never be trusted again... Where do you get this crap.

 

Indy is a small market team. Even large market teams have "budgets". Every owner has a different opinion on how money should or should not be spent.  Leaving money unspent is unspent for what reason? A 1 year deal has no real impact to next year. A 2 year deal doesn't have much of an impact either given our project cap situation in 2020. 

 

And yes, we don't know. The fact that you act like you know more than the rest of us is pretty funny. But it wouldn't be the first for you either.

This my main concern..If we don't spend it we have no chance of possibly improving by bringing a guy like McCoy in...We have plenty of cap so why not bring some guys in that could make the difference in the playoffs or be insurance if the young guys don't develop or get hurt...I can understand the philosophy when rebuilding or if we were against the cap, but we are favorites to contend..It seems like now would be the time you spend to add pieces that could make the difference...By not spending there is a guarantee you won't improve by bringing in talent, if you spend and they don't work out you can always cut or trade them...By not trying you will never know...Also, injuries WILL happen so why not spend to the cap at least with 1 or 2 yr deals that won't effect future? I'd rather have a backup option then not do nothing and when someone gets hurt or has a had year not have an option behind them...Even if we overpay for 2 years for McCoy why not do it???? It is always better too have extra tools, than not enough, especially if you have the means to get them...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • the sweep with Rogers was the most "exotic" play call of the game..
    • Al-Quadin Muhammad DE I'm thinking? #97
    • https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/17/indianapolis-colts-jack-doyle-hale-hentges-better-younger-version/?utm_source=smg&utm_medium=wasabi&utm_content=home-hero
    • Still seeing "ifs" around Rogers. Unless Campbell comes back tomorrow and kills it at both slot and PR,  Rogers is a lock. Even if Campbell comes back and kills it, Rogers is still very likely to on the 53. He's running with the ones, he hasn't screwed up, and he still looks to be the best bet at PR given the snaps and performance thus far. The biggest threat to Rogers IMO was having both Campbell and Fountain balling out. Since Fountain is out of the conversation and Campbell is still gimpy, pretty clear.   It's probably more of a conversation between keeping a 6th WR and 4th TE right now. Pascal isn't making a lot of noise for the 6th spot, but Hentges is making a lot of noise. Not sure Hentges would pass waivers at this point and make it to the practice team. So long as Cain looks 100%, and Funch doesn't get hurt, I think they'll likely stay with 5 WRs. I can see Hogan and Dulin on the PS.
  • Members

    • DarkSuperman87

      DarkSuperman87 3,635

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NM_Colts

      NM_Colts 172

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 423

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 11,176

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Moosejawcolt

      Moosejawcolt 417

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • gacoop1

      gacoop1 221

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NannyMcafee

      NannyMcafee 1,099

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Melancholie

      Melancholie 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WoolMagnet

      WoolMagnet 3,564

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • bsteves

      bsteves 148

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...