Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
PrincetonTiger

Bucs are releasing G McCoy- Option for the Colts?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

If you notice the teams that contend year after year spend to the cap.. Patriots, Chiefs, Steelers, Rams, Seahawks..They don't have years back to back to back 50 million under the cap...I know we are good, but we could be better, just saying.. I'm not sure Irsay means it when he says he will spend...

He was talking about vintage guitars. :burnout:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

 

If you think Irsay, or owners in general are 100% hands off, not sure what to tell you. The budget in general was likely set (a range) soon after last season ended. And any major FA acquisition I'm sure gets a nod.

 

 

 

 

Of course Irsay is not 100% hands off. Never said he was. OTOH, (as I  have said ealier before) he would ask Chris what our pro personnel department values him at, and does Chris agree?  And how Eberflus feels about fit? Etc.  But he (and other really good owners) tries not to meddle in the experts jobs he hand picked to perform them. Unless...  it is a high character issue/red flag guy with baggage.  Irsay would listen to every side and story.  But that final decision would indeed be his... and most other owners as well.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 7:18 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

seeing what his price is and swoop in at the last minute.

 

So then, can he do that and not be outbidding the other teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes you wonder why the Bucs couldn't get a draft pick for him. He was making 11 million, he's set to make about 13 million so you'd think one of the teams in that bidding would give a 5th or 6th to jump the line..

  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Makes you wonder why the Bucs couldn't get a draft pick for him. He was making 11 million, he's set to make about 13 million so you'd think one of the teams in that bidding would give a 5th or 6th to jump the line..

 

 

I don't understand your post. If a team gave a draft pick , that would mean they would be paying McCoy the 13 mill salary due from TB for 2019. It's been pretty much established he is not being offered anything close to that. Maybe 10 mill at the most ? We heard a team he wouldn't sign with offers 11 million , so it's not crazy t think the other offers are around 10 Mill or less. So what "line" would a team be jumping if they traded for him ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dw49 said:

 

 

I don't understand your post. If a team gave a draft pick , that would mean they would be paying McCoy the 13 mill salary due from TB for 2019. It's been pretty much established he is not being offered anything close to that. Maybe 10 mill at the most ? We heard a team he wouldn't sign with offers 11 million , so it's not crazy to think the other offered  around 10 Mill or less. So what "line" would a team be jumping if they traded for him ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ColtJax said:

Makes you wonder why the Bucs couldn't get a draft pick for him. He was making 11 million, he's set to make about 13 million so you'd think one of the teams in that bidding would give a 5th or 6th to jump the line..

 

Maybe you never saw this, but blame it on a coaches (Bruce Arians) mistake. I think this was around the league meetings near the end of March-

 

“I got to evaluate him,” Arians said. “I mean, guys at a certain age, it’s different. Usually, the age they get paid the most and production (doesn’t) match. We’ve got to find that out.”

 

He’s not as disruptive as he was four years ago. He’s still a good player,” Arians said. “If he’s here, he’s our starting three-(technique). No doubt about that. Would I like to see him more disruptive? Yeah. We can use him. If he’s here, he’s going to be used a bunch. It’s just a matter of what happens.”

 

Boom... trade value gone.  Nobody is going to give up something AND pay the guy 13 million. now.  I don't feel it is right if coaches (especially HC's) ever address a player in such a manner in public.  Do what you need to do in private, let fans speculate all sorts of crazy ideas of why things happen after the fact.

 

I know Bucs needed more cap space to sign their draft, and at the same time get a 'nastier' guy on the D line than they felt McCoy had become.  Cutting G. McCoy and signing Suh did both.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well he's had three days to decide on one of the three.  Nothing yet.  Three probabilities.  First, the offers are similar and he views all of the teams the same so his agent is working all three and will take the highest offer.  Two, another team or teams have come in at the last moment and he's deciding on taking another visit or offer.  Three, he's not happy with any of the offers so he's going to retire temporarily until a team suffers a serious injury at the position and lures him back with an offer more to his liking.  If there is no clear cut winner out of the three why just settle on one of them?  Things change every day in the NFL.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Maybe you never saw this, but blame it on a coaches (Bruce Arians) mistake. I think this was around the league meetings near the end of March-

 

“I got to evaluate him,” Arians said. “I mean, guys at a certain age, it’s different. Usually, the age they get paid the most and production (doesn’t) match. We’ve got to find that out.”

 

He’s not as disruptive as he was four years ago. He’s still a good player,” Arians said. “If he’s here, he’s our starting three-(technique). No doubt about that. Would I like to see him more disruptive? Yeah. We can use him. If he’s here, he’s going to be used a bunch. It’s just a matter of what happens.”

 

Boom... trade value gone.  Nobody is going to give up something AND pay the guy 13 million. now.  I don't feel it is right if coaches (especially HC's) ever address a player in such a manner in public.  Do what you need to do in private, let fans speculate all sorts of crazy ideas of why things happen after the fact.

 

I know Bucs needed more cap space to sign their draft, and at the same time get a 'nastier' guy on the D line than they felt McCoy had become.  cutting GM and signing Suh did both.

 

 

 

Yep...BA is an old-school guy...and his comments were not only unprofessional...but also imprudent. No idea why he felt the need to say any of that. I am sure the organization and fans really appreciated it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Well he's had three days to decide on one of the three.  Nothing yet.  Three probabilities.  First, the offers are similar and he views all of the teams the same so his agent is working all three and will take the highest offer.  Two, another team or teams have come in at the last moment and he's deciding on taking another visit or offer.  Three, he's not happy with any of the offers so he's going to retire temporarily until a team suffers a serious injury at the position and lures him back with an offer more to his liking.  If there is no clear cut winner out of the three why just settle on one of them?  Things change every day in the NFL.  

 

I don't retiring as an option.

 

I think it's timing. Right now, teams are finishing up their OTAs...and though I thought McCoy wanted to be there...I think at this point...he probably doesn't want to. 

 

But for 2/3 of the NFL teams, their mandatory minicamps will start on June 11...and I do think McCoy will want to be on his new team by minicamp. 

 

CLE, however, is one of the 10 teams that begins their mandatory minicamp on June 4. So unless he signs in CLE in the next day or so...I think you can scratch them off.

 

But CAR, BAL and IND all begin June 11 though...so we should know in the next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think the money was why we were out of the picture. Especially if it is just one year. The colts did not feel there was a need for him. There must of not of been any really big contenders wanting him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Per Rotoworld....1 yr $8 mil

Worth up to 10.25m.  I don't think it was the money.  Ballard is going to see what he has there.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

ESPN is reporting potentially $10mm for one year.  No wonder we were out of the picture.

Only 4 mil is guaranteed but he likely hits around $8 mil with incentives if he matches last year’s production.  He could potentially max out at $10.25 mil but it’s highly unlikely he triggers all the necessary incentives to get there.  Panthers got a good deal on him likely for something between $4 - $8 mil.   Money wasn’t the reason the Colts weren’t interested. Either Ballard doesn’t think McCoy is a true difference maker or he simply wants to see what he has in his young DTs.  Or a little of both. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think the money was why we were out of the picture. Especially if it is just one year. The colts did not feel there was a need for him. There must of not of been any really big contenders wanting him.

 

For what it's worth,  it was recenty reported that we called and inquired and lost interest when told what McCoy was looking for.

 

So, at some level, we were interested.    How much was cost,  and how much was being satisfied with what we already had will not be known.    But odds are,  it was a little of both....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Where do I get this stuff?    I think,  that's where.    

 

 

If you think GMs never get a budget, and a GM that doesn't get the budget he wants just leaks, then, yes, pretty silly. Some of the assertions below, also silly....

 

Quote

 

I appreciate that we live in a time where opinions are more highly prized than facts,  but that's the current world we're stuck in.     

 

Fact: When we signed Ballard in 2017, he was viewed as the number one GM prospect.   You think he had no leverage and yet he was able to get Irsay to spend millions on re-doing the team's facility right out of the gate.    Not bad for a guy with no leverage.    And he's earned more credit by re-building this team almost over night while spending next to nothing.    And he's publicly said he's not about spending a lot of money.   That teams that often are viewed as winning Free Agency or winning the off-season often don't do very well in the next regular season.   The one exception to the rule is the draft.   Guess where Ballard has excelled?   He's earned standing throughout the NFL and clearly with Irsay for spending his money wisely.

 

 

You like facts. Let's stick to them...

 

Ballard had never been a GM, but was seen as a fast riser. He had interviewed for other GM jobs prior to Indy, and not gotten the position. So let's not act like he was no brainer number one prospect in everyone's mind. The Titans passed on Ballard, and other GMs were hired around the league prior to him coming to the Colts.

 

As far as the facility upgrade goes, I realize you might be a new fan, but Irsay has a long history of facility upgrades. We had one in 2015 too. Does that make Grigson an all star heavy leverage GM?

 

Quote

Sure, all teams have a budget,  but you conveniently ignore the fact that, again,  we still have the most money to spend in the entire league.   Now some of that is likely to go to any contract extensions this off-season.    But the rest is going to stay in the bank earning interest.   But that's Ballard's call, not Irsay's.    Why would Ballard come here to a place where you think we have severe financial restrictions so bad that the GM can't run the day to day operations the way he sees fit?    The man could've picked his team.    He picked Indy.    And yet you think he's being handcuffed.

 

The fact we have the most money, would lead most logical thinkers to believe we have a budget... If you think Irsay didn't approve the budget, and it's only Ballard's decision, not sure what to tell you. 

 

Nobody is saying the budget is "severe", or Irsay is cheap. Given Ballard's boss (Dorsey) in KC was fired for being a poor money manager and bad people person, it's a given there was a lot of talk about fiscal management during the hiring process. If anything, one of the things Ballard is probably trying to prove, is that he's not a mis-manger like his old mentor. 

 

Quote

I just love when you call my views silly.    Do you know what's wrong with MY views?   They're not YOUR views!    You've got nothing more on your side of the ledger than I do.   Just your opinion.   Yet you think your views are just fine,  and mine are silly.   This is your arguing style.   My facts are cherry picked,  while your's are great.    Over and over.   I've grown tired of your tactics here.   In case you haven't noticed,  I've barely responded to most of your last dozen or so posts.  Not because I can't.   But because I find you irritating and exhausting.     You recently called me "passive/aggressive".     Hey, we can fix that.   We can drop the whole passive thing and just stay with aggressive.   I can crush your arguments all day long.    It's not hard.    It's sometimes annoying as heck,  but it's not hard.    I was hoping for a nice quiet off-season.  A peaceful summer.    Oh well...   I'm tired of turning the other cheek.  

It's this simple.... you jumped into a conversation (a comment I made to another poster). You don't have to read my post or comment on them at all. Why not just ignore them........

 

But... Please feel free to crush me lol.. I've already crushed your weak attempt at a "WR study" where you cherry picked stats, did not define criteria, and offered pretty much zero numerical/stat interpretation. I actually provided more stats and meaningful comparison in much less time on the topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

 

Of course Irsay is not 100% hands off. Never said he was. OTOH, (as I  have said ealier before) he would ask Chris what our pro personnel department values him at, and does Chris agree?  And how Eberflus feels about fit? Etc.  But he (and other really good owners) tries not to meddle in the experts jobs he hand picked to perform them. Unless...  it is a high character issue/red flag guy with baggage.  Irsay would listen to every side and story.  But that final decision would indeed be his... and most other owners as well.

 

 

Agree. Team effort. IMO, Ballard like anyone interviewing for position leading a team (or corp) was asked to provide a plan based on ownership needs. That plan got him hired. Once hired, I'm sure CB and JI sat down and peeled back the onion. And I think Ballard has Irsay's full confidence.

 

I do think Ballard keeps his door open to all (specifically HC, OC, DC, and likely Luck). I don't think Irsay is heavy handed. I think he lays it out to Chris pre and post season, they talk, and carry on. Chris knows he has a boss, and Irsay knows he has an understanding with Chris, who he trusts to execute. Anything having to do with expenditures over XX dollars I'm sure is understood to generate a conversation. Just like any other business. 

 

I'm still a little surprised we didn't go iDL early or FA. I think others were surprised we went WR early. Would love to be a fly on the wall for some of the conversations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

This my main concern..If we don't spend it we have no chance of possibly improving by bringing a guy like McCoy in...We have plenty of cap so why not bring some guys in that could make the difference in the playoffs or be insurance if the young guys don't develop or get hurt...I can understand the philosophy when rebuilding or if we were against the cap, but we are favorites to contend..It seems like now would be the time you spend to add pieces that could make the difference...By not spending there is a guarantee you won't improve by bringing in talent, if you spend and they don't work out you can always cut or trade them...By not trying you will never know...Also, injuries WILL happen so why not spend to the cap at least with 1 or 2 yr deals that won't effect future? I'd rather have a backup option then not do nothing and when someone gets hurt or has a had year not have an option behind them...Even if we overpay for 2 years for McCoy why not do it???? It is always better too have extra tools, than not enough, especially if you have the means to get them...

I agree. Looking at potential early extensions this year, potential rollover, and % of cap, seems like we're running well under the 89% (rolling). I guess we'll see in the next couple years to come, but right now, there looks to be a lot unspent dollars. 

 

I know they are looking at moving one or two guys inside, but honestly I don't feel like that's going to transform the iDL. I think getting Houston will raise the play of the line all around, but I think we still need a difference maker on the interior.

 

We ranked 19th last year in sacks. I think adding Houston will get us in the top 10-15, but not top 7ish. And that's where I think we'll need to be going up against the improved QB talent this year. If Turray takes a big step forward, or Banogu sticks at DE and surpasses expectation, maybe, but that's all exterior. Just not sure if moving Lewis inside is going to matter much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he went with the most experienced QB of his options and stayed in the conference and division he was familiar with. Versus going with one of the two young boys out of Cleveland and Balt. Its obvious we needed a pretty good price from Mccoy to make this aquisition, mostly because weve already got productive players at the position. We werent going to pay the going rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

ESPN is reporting potentially $10mm for one year.  No wonder we were out of the picture.

 

Nope, they gave him the deal I been saying we shoulda thrown out there.  Low guaranteed money, with tons of incentives.  We played it safe again, and now we where the egg on our face....     :censored:  

 

From Ian Rappaport:

The full breakdown of Gerald McCoy’s deal with the #Panthers: 1 year, $4M to sign, $3M base, $500K camp roster bonus, $500K in 45-man per game bonus. Plus, 6.5 sacks for $500k, 8 sacks gets him $1.5M. 250K for Pro Bowl, $250K for playoffs. Just $4M guaranteed. Total: Up $10.25M.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2019 at 7:27 PM, NewColtsFan said:

 

For what it's worth,  it was recenty reported that we called and inquired and lost interest when told what McCoy was looking for.

 

So, at some level, we were interested.    How much was cost,  and how much was being satisfied with what we already had will not be known.    But odds are,  it was a little of both....

 

 

I agree with you but I'm guessing it was more about the cost. 

I think you hit the nail on the head a few weeks ago when you commented about Irsay's finances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, krunk said:

I think he went with the most experienced QB of his options and stayed in the conference and division he was familiar with. Versus going with one of the two young boys out of Cleveland and Balt. Its obvious we needed a pretty good price from Mccoy to make this aquisition, mostly because weve already got productive players at the position. We werent going to pay the going rate.

 

I agree with you.

 

But It's hard to buy things in this world if your not willing to pay market value.

Unless of course you shop in the 'Bargain Bin'. And usually 4 time pro bowlers don't wind up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

 

Nope, they gave him the deal I been saying we shoulda thrown out there.  Low guaranteed money, with tons of incentives.  We played it safe again, and now we where the egg on our face....     :censored:  

 

From Ian Rappaport:

The full breakdown of Gerald McCoy’s deal with the #Panthers: 1 year, $4M to sign, $3M base, $500K camp roster bonus, $500K in 45-man per game bonus. Plus, 6.5 sacks for $500k, 8 sacks gets him $1.5M. 250K for Pro Bowl, $250K for playoffs. Just $4M guaranteed. Total: Up $10.25M.

 

For what it’s worth...    Rappaport also reported that another team offered McCoy more money...    a lot more money.   He thinks it’s Baltimore...

 

Just thought it was worth noting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

I agree with you.

 

But It's hard to buy things in this world if your not willing to pay market value.

Unless of course you shop in the 'Bargain Bin'. And usually 4 time pro bowlers don't wind up there.

The problem with the 4 time pro bowler is our situation is we have one 8 sack player at that spot in Autry. Another 5 to 6 sack player in Hunt to go along with a returning Ward who picked up 3 or 4 sacks before he got injured. Had he stayed healthy I think it was likely he picked up a couple more sacks. Then you've got the up and comer Tyquan Lewis who I feel pretty confident will be productive at 3 tech. Banogu is unproven, but theres going to be times we rush him from 3 Tech and hes pretty good in that role as well. Hes a pretty good inside pass rusher. Consider all that and you can see why Ballard wanted to get a sharp deal on the old vet McCoy. We didn't necessarily need him. Would certainly be nice of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, krunk said:

The problem with the 4 time pro bowler is our situation is we have one 8 sack player at that spot in Autry. Another 5 to 6 sack player in Hunt to go along with a returning Ward who picked up 3 or 4 sacks before he got injured. Had he stayed healthy I think it was likely he picked up a couple more sacks. Then you've got the up and comer Tyquan Lewis who I feel pretty confident will be productive at 3 tech. Banogu is unproven, but theres going to be times we rush him from 3 Tech and hes pretty good in that role as well. Hes a pretty good inside pass rusher. Consider all that and you can see why Ballard wanted to get a sharp deal on the old vet McCoy. We didn't necessarily need him. Would certainly be nice of course.

Absolutely

 

We also dont know how the initial dialog went on our contact with player/agent

 

I could imagine it being.......

 

1) What are your $ requirements?

 

2) Would you mind also playing downs at 1 tech, in a rotation? (Maybe 1/3 of snaps between)

 

I was hoping we could somehow get him, but........

 

SOMETHING wasnt a fit...........

 

Player Expectations vs Team Long-term needs........ 

 

It didnt mesh, or McCoy would be a Colt........

 

I have to continue to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt.......

 

He has earned it

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, krunk said:

The problem with the 4 time pro bowler is our situation is we have one 8 sack player at that spot in Autry. Another 5 to 6 sack player in Hunt to go along with a returning Ward who picked up 3 or 4 sacks before he got injured. Had he stayed healthy I think it was likely he picked up a couple more sacks. Then you've got the up and comer Tyquan Lewis who I feel pretty confident will be productive at 3 tech. Banogu is unproven, but theres going to be times we rush him from 3 Tech and hes pretty good in that role as well. Hes a pretty good inside pass rusher. Consider all that and you can see why Ballard wanted to get a sharp deal on the old vet McCoy. We didn't necessarily need him. Would certainly be nice of course.

 

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

Absolutely

 

We also dont know how the initial dialog went on our contact with player/agent

 

I could imagine it being.......

 

1) What are your $ requirements?

 

2) Would you mind also playing downs at 1 tech, in a rotation? (Maybe 1/3 of snaps between)

 

I was hoping we could somehow get him, but........

 

SOMETHING wasnt a fit...........

 

Player Expectations vs Team Long-term needs........ 

 

It didnt mesh, or McCoy would be a Colt........

 

I have to continue to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt.......

 

He has earned it

 

 

 

 

It's good we're pretty stacked on the DL. But knowing that why were their so many mocks and threads before the draft of us using our #1 pick on DT?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

 

It's good we're pretty stacked on the DL. But knowing that why were their so many mocks and threads before the draft of us using our #1 pick on DT?

It was just peoples opinions.  The only thing that matters is what the Colts think.A lot of the talking heads in my opinion are not even real familiar with the Colts roster.  A lot of these guys can't even name a lot of the players on our defense, let alone people like Jihad Ward that are coming back from injury. Or Tyquan Lewis for that matter.  I had said before the draft that it wouldn't surprise me if we came out of the draft with no pickups as far as a 3 Tech was concerned. Unless we picked up a guy like Tillery who can do more than one thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Absolutely

 

We also dont know how the initial dialog went on our contact with player/agent

 

I could imagine it being.......

 

1) What are your $ requirements?

 

2) Would you mind also playing downs at 1 tech, in a rotation? (Maybe 1/3 of snaps between)

 

I was hoping we could somehow get him, but........

 

SOMETHING wasnt a fit...........

 

Player Expectations vs Team Long-term needs........ 

 

It didnt mesh, or McCoy would be a Colt........

 

I have to continue to give Ballard the benefit of the doubt.......

 

He has earned it

 

 

 

I can see why he thought his best fit was in Carolina where there's really only Kawann Short to deal with.  There is more room for Mcoy in Carolina to be honest. I think he had a good fit in Cleveland also but he was probably concerned with the Cleveland culture along with the team being led by a 2nd year QB and an unproven Head Coach. 

 

Carolina on the flip side has a HC that's been to the Superbowl, a QB who is pretty solid when he's healthy and has also been to the Super Bowl.  A veteran defense that's been together for a little bit of time.  Plus it's in the division that he's used to playing in.  If he's got kids he can leave them in the Florida school system and it wouldn't be that hard for him to go back and forth from Carolina on an airplane to go see them.  So on and so forth.  I did not think he was the best fit in Baltimore. Plus if you're looking for a contender I don't think they are it because the young QB has a lot to improve upon as a passer.  He can't win everything with his legs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, krunk said:

It was just peoples opinions.  The only thing that matters is what the Colts think.

A lot of the talking heads in my opinion are not even real familiar with the Colts

roster.  A lot of these guys can't even name a lot of the players on our defense, let alone

people like Jihad Ward that are coming back from injury. Or Tyquan Lewis for that matter.

 

I was talking about the mocks & threads here on the board by Colt fans who know the roster. 

But whatever, the Colts are a cost conscious team and are not usually going to throw $$ around unless they really feel they need to.

 

I'm not saying thats a good thing, and I'm not saying it's a bad thing. 

It's just the way it usually is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

 

It's good we're pretty stacked on the DL. But knowing that why were their so many mocks and threads before the draft of us using our #1 pick on DT?

 

 Don't you think much of that was about the perceived Quality of the ones available in the draft. Hunt, Stewart, Ward, and Lewis are not thought of anything special today.
 So a real upgrade did seem prudent to most. Knock on wood that we Colts fans get to enjoy watching our guys continue to improve and make us proud of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the big picture (which changes and evolves all the time) the cost of bringing in Gerald McCoy didn't align with the value of bringing him in. There are one of two possibilities for this. One, Ballard was wrong and we made a mistake. Or, two, Ballard correctly assessed those values in the context of the Colts current evolutionary trajectory. We will find out which in due time. Meanwhile, relax and watch the show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 3:52 PM, BlueCrew48 said:

 

Nope, they gave him the deal I been saying we shoulda thrown out there.  Low guaranteed money, with tons of incentives.  We played it safe again, and now we where the egg on our face....     :censored:  

 

From Ian Rappaport:

The full breakdown of Gerald McCoy’s deal with the #Panthers: 1 year, $4M to sign, $3M base, $500K camp roster bonus, $500K in 45-man per game bonus. Plus, 6.5 sacks for $500k, 8 sacks gets him $1.5M. 250K for Pro Bowl, $250K for playoffs. Just $4M guaranteed. Total: Up $10.25M.

 

Unless the train goes off the tracks, call it what it is.  $8,437,500 for McCoy (almost 8.5 million).  That is his cap hit including the LTBE incentives. (Any NLTBE incentives reached the Panthers will, more than gladly, pay next year on their cap structure).

 

14 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Looking at the big picture (which changes and evolves all the time) the cost of bringing in Gerald McCoy didn't align with the value of bringing him in. There are one of two possibilities for this. One, Ballard was wrong and we made a mistake.

 

Would McCoy get enough production above the other guys to warrant 8.5 million?  How much $$ are the other IDL guys making? What is their projected production?  These are the baselines for mistake or not.  McCoy will get more snaps in Carolina than here, I'd say.

 

14 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Or, two, Ballard correctly assessed those values in the context of the Colts current evolutionary trajectory. We will find out which in due time. Meanwhile, relax and watch the show. 

 

It's not just Ballard.  Irsay has hired a whole team of guys under Rex Hogan (VP of Player Personnel) and Kevin Rogers (Director of Pro Personnel) that scout and place value on pretty much every member of every team in the league.  In case of cuts/Free Agency, trade deals/ etc arise.  Ballard relies on their work/input to help formulate his.

 

These things are a reflection of the whole front office, with Ballard as the executive chef.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, BlueCrew48 said:

 

Nope, they gave him the deal I been saying we shoulda thrown out there.  Low guaranteed money, with tons of incentives.  We played it safe again, and now we where the egg on our face....     :censored:  

 

From Ian Rappaport:

The full breakdown of Gerald McCoy’s deal with the #Panthers: 1 year, $4M to sign, $3M base, $500K camp roster bonus, $500K in 45-man per game bonus. Plus, 6.5 sacks for $500k, 8 sacks gets him $1.5M. 250K for Pro Bowl, $250K for playoffs. Just $4M guaranteed. Total: Up $10.25M.

 

We played it safe?

 

Again?

 

We have egg in our face?    Really?

 

Where does this come from?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2019 at 3:52 PM, BlueCrew48 said:

 

Nope, they gave him the deal I been saying we shoulda thrown out there.  Low guaranteed money, with tons of incentives.  We played it safe again, and now we where the egg on our face....     :censored:  

 

From Ian Rappaport:

The full breakdown of Gerald McCoy’s deal with the #Panthers: 1 year, $4M to sign, $3M base, $500K camp roster bonus, $500K in 45-man per game bonus. Plus, 6.5 sacks for $500k, 8 sacks gets him $1.5M. 250K for Pro Bowl, $250K for playoffs. Just $4M guaranteed. Total: Up $10.25M.

 

  Chuckle. Wipe the egg off your face? 
  He couldn't have made those incentives here. He wouldn't have gotten the snaps.
Silliness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Another NFL Preseason Game Night, Colts fans!    A battle of  0-2  teams  seeking their first win in the 2019 NFL preseason play in Circle City, as the Chicago Bears come south on Interstate 65,  to play our Indianapolis Colts in both teams preseason meeting in four years.    Chad Kelly and Phillip Walker are the only other Colts quarterbacks available,  both listed in the training camp roster, and the team depth chart, probably available to play tonight, since neither Jacoby Brissett or Andrew Luck will play the rest of the preseason.   Current Bears Defensive Coordinator Chuck Pagano also returns to Indianapolis, where was the Colts Head Coach from 2012-2017.   Indianapolis and Chicago are playing their 16th all-time preseason game, with the Colts leading the all-time preseason series between the teams at 9-5-1.  Colts defeated the Bears in their last game, and visit to Indianapolis by the score of 23-11 back on August 22, 2015.   Indianapolis also  currently leads the all-time regular season series at 23-11, including  winning Super Bowl XLI over the Bears, their only playoff win  over Chicago.  Colts also defeated the Bears, winning 29-23, during both teams last regular season meeting also played at Lucas Oil Stadium (the building),  back on October 9, 2016.   Colts may play the Bears at Soldier Field, when the AFC South teams play the NFC North teams during interdivisional play in the 2020 NFL regular season.   Colts defeated the Bears  29-17 in Super Bowl XLI, during  the rainy, and then-named at the time, Dolphins Stadium At Miami Gardens, back on February 4, 2007.   The 2006 Colts team that finished 12-4 during the regular season were lead by  Head Coach Tony Dungy, and Super Bowl XLI MVP  QB Peyton Manning.   LOS's retractable roof might be open for tonight's 7:05 PM Eastern Standard Time kickoff, because the local gamecast around the stadium area is 75 degrees, 0% precipitation, 52% humidity, and  east/northeast winds at 11 miles per hour.   Great luck to all the Colts and Bears players, especially the backup players and reserves, as they continue to audition during their  training bears-week-3-camp, and the preseason games, on trying to make the cut to the final 53.   NO injuries, GO Blue Horseshoe, Win Your First Preseason Game, And Home Game In Your 2019 NFL Season, and LET'S GO COLTS!!!!!                 .    https://colts.com/news/bears-week-3-preseason-preview   https://colts.com/game-day/2019/pre/bears-at-colts/   https://nfl.com/gamecenter/2019082452/2019/PRE3/bears@colts   https://indystar.com/sports/colts   https://chicagobears.com/news/pagano-expects-an-emotional-return-to-Indy  
    • Tom Brady wanted to trademark the nickname "Tom Terrific".    He lost.  The US Patent and Trademark office rejected Brady's request to trademark the term. Brady says he was trying to protect Tom Seaver's nickname. Lolol. Spare me, Brady.    “Has anyone ever even called him ‘Tom Terrific’?” Mr. Talansky said. “Was ‘Vainglorious Cheater’ already trademarked?”   Tom Brady Is No ‘Tom Terrific.’ Any New Yorker Can Tell You That. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/23/nyregion/tom-brady-seaver-terrific.html  
    • Bummer that all the starters are out! I’m going with a group of friends, including some Bears fans(Boo!). Alot of people on here saying they feel bad for people going and that it’s too much money to go watch scrubs....Going to a game at Lucas is more then just watching the game. It’s about tailgating, hanging out with good friends and having a good time, razzing the opposing teams fans, all in fun of course, and also hanging out with fellow bleed blue colts fans! Same reason I went to watch the Cubs even during the bad years, the atmosphere and fans were awesome no matter what. I don’t really mind watching the second and third stringers fighting for their futures.    As far as price, I got a pretty good seat for $48, so can’t complain. It’s going to be a fun day no matter what, not going in with high expectations like I do during regular season.
    • Well, you are rounding into mid-season form early this year. Good Job 
    • Walker did look much better last game compared to week 1, so props to him. Still, no comparison to CK. I had mixed emotions about bringing CK in, but now I really hope things work out. He looks "in command" and has a nice rhythm to his game. And he can make all the passes and has wheels.     I know it's only 2 preseason games, but I can understand now why Elway made him QB2 in Denver. It'll make parting with JB much easier.    IF he can keep his head on straight/.
  • Members

    • coltsfanCHINA

      coltsfanCHINA 0

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Swan Ronson

      Swan Ronson 279

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Robert Johnson

      Robert Johnson 334

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • pacolts56

      pacolts56 3,095

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 552

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • krunk

      krunk 11,206

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Virtuoso80

      Virtuoso80 484

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • J@son

      J@son 7,206

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...