Jump to content
Click here to get your free tickets for Colts Training Camp today!
Sign in to follow this  
stitches

[Breer] The Colts Are Quietly Winning the Offseason

Recommended Posts

Albert Breer has to make up for kissing Josh McDaniels' behind when he published that unsubstantiated "organizational structure" crap about the Colts. I lost respect for him when he said that. Remember this link??? I have not forgotten.

 

 

We, Colts fans, are pretty high on Ballard, regardless of whether Breer sings his praises or not. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not really digging all the attention the team has been getting. I want to lay low

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Albert Breer has to make up for kissing Josh McDaniels' behind when he published that unsubstantiated "organizational structure" crap about the Colts. I lost respect for him when he said that. Remember this link??? I have not forgotten.

 

 

We, Colts fans, are pretty high on Ballard, regardless of whether Breer sings his praises or not. 

 

Seriously, again?   It’s not Breer’s job to confirm the organizational structure of the Colts.   That’s what McDaniels put out.   THAT’S Who should be apologizing to the Colts.   Brewer simply reported what McDaniels said. 

 

How would anyone go about confirming  that anyway?   It’s one man’s opinion.   And the better the Colts do, the dumber McDaniels looks. 

 

The article glows and gushes about the Colts from first sentence to last sentence and you’re still not happy due to some perceived slight.   The only person who slighted the Colts is JM.   And hopefully we can repay him by beating his rear end for years to come.   Breer is fully on board the Colts bandwagon.   Read the whole story.   You’ll be a happy Colts fan.   I promise.

 

PS— thanks to Stiches for posting this as he did.   This story is required reading for every Colts fan. 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

I'm not really digging all the attention the team has been getting. I want to lay low

 

Doesn't really matter.  You just plug away, regardless.  KC gets attention.  NE gets even more.  It's a part of success, and it means you're doing something right. So, I hope the Colts keep getting attention.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

 

Getting Reich instead of McDaniels is probably the best thing that could have happened for the Colts.

 

 

Absolutely, the Colts dodged a bullet on that one & all seems to have worked out for the best.

lol... I mean, where was Brian Decker at when we needed him to profile mcdaniels leadership qualities??? 

 

While Ballard has handled that mishap as well as possible, I still gotta question that initial hiring. How in the world were there NO red flags that he might pull a move like that??? I mean I wasn't surprised when it happened so can't really assume Ballard was either... lol...

 

anywho, it seems to have worked out for the best...

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Ballard sees the 2020 rookie WR class as stacked. Funchess got a one year deal. No pressure then Devin....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

So Ballard sees the 2020 rookie WR class as stacked. Funchess got a one year deal. No pressure then Devin....

that's beauty about their focus on competition....it'll either bring out the best in them or they'll wilt. 

 

We'll find out soon enough. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Seriously, again?   It’s not Breer’s job to confirm the organizational structure of the Colts.   That’s what McDaniels put out.   THAT’S Who should be apologizing to the Colts.   Brewer simply reported what McDaniels said. 

 

How would anyone go about confirming  that anyway?   It’s one man’s opinion.   And the better the Colts do, the dumber McDaniels looks. 

 

The article glows and gushes about the Colts from first sentence to last sentence and you’re still not happy due to some perceived slight.   The only person who slighted the Colts is JM.   And hopefully we can repay him by beating his rear end for years to come.   Breer is fully on board the Colts bandwagon.   Read the whole story.   You’ll be a happy Colts fan.   I promise.

 

PS— thanks to Stiches for posting this as he did.   This story is required reading for every Colts fan. 

Living well has always been the best revenge

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I'm not really digging all the attention the team has been getting. I want to lay low

You know you may be right.  Imagine how unglued and ferocious the attacks on Cleveland will be next year when they open 2-4.  Then the stress will mount up a great deal when it really shouldn't.  Reasonable expectations are when the fan faithful (like this message board) and local media are hyped, but the mainstream is busy preening over every action the mega-market teams make.  (examples: The endless LA Lakers stories for the team with the worst record in the NBA over the past half dozen years give or take is an example or the frenzy over Dallas for every sneeze or hiccup Jerry Jones makes).  Players listen to the mainstream and many get their value from their respect/support there and adopt those expectations.  It's human nature and many of us would do the same in their place.  Odell and his QB are in a media fight right now with Cowherd on Fox.  Cowherd LOVES it, it builds his brand.  I am not sure it helps anything in Cleveland for them all to be caught up in it. 

 

The Colts are working hard to find the right personalities/mentalities for this team in part to be able to discount and ignore outside garbage and focus on the job at hand.  We don't have any Social Media stars on this team.  Andrew Luck, who would likely be 100 times more popular if he played the brand-building media games and that would put raw cash in his pockets, but it wouldn't help his game, it wouldn't win late in the 4th Quarter and this team seems to be building for character almost above all else (perhaps it IS above all else).  If you said the Colts ranked all the players first based on that and then brought athleticism and positional fit just below, I would believe it.  And I think courage to overcome exhaustion and distraction in critical moments (I think it takes internal fortitude to battle through it when all seems lost or at risk) will serve this team very well.  

 

BUT...  we live in a new universe where media of all types, especially social media, rules the roost of today's culture.  No one is 100% immune to it.  Being built up is a way media can either claim they were geniuses to have predicted it, or in most cases, they can then use their own efforts to do so to tear people back down for ratings and $'s when someone succumbs to the pressure and false expectations.  

 

So some might scoff.. but I think you may be on to something.  It was better when no one was paying attention.  It took a big heavy burden completely away from the team.  Sort of like the Pacers when they lost Paul George and blew everyone away coming out of nowhere.  Even this year after losing Oladipo no one thought they could do anything and they finished strong.  If the Colts stumble out of the gate (as we tend to do) the merciless attacks will be legion   

 

Who needs that?  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is nigh on impossible to understand the impact on the team regarding the social media attention we (or any team for that matter) get. How will the players cope with being rated in the top 5 of most Power Rankings this season, compared to last year when we were commonly placed last or near to last? Or is it all irelevant?

 

Ballards considered words imdicate the latter.......

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nadine said:

Living well has always been the best revenge

 

Beautifully said!   Thank you!!   :thmup:

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good article.  Ive already forgotten Josh McDaniels. Reich has the right stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I'm not really digging all the attention the team has been getting. I want to lay low

  I read (on the Pats fan forum), very little concern for the Colts. I think the question posed was; “ which team has the best chance to win 5 SBs”?

   Of course, many fans said the Pats but only 2 posters (out of 40-50 posters) said the Colts. Many picked KC, Philly, NO and even the Browns. If  that’s any indication of how that fanbase views the Colts, they are in for a surprise.

    We know the Patriots are probably going to be competitive but the gap could be closing. Of course, the Colts still have to earn it but I love the way this thing is getting built. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I'm not really digging all the attention the team has been getting. I want to lay low

 

I've seen this statement a few times around the board and I have to say I agree and disagree. The Colts have always been the underdog. Even during the manning era it took forever for the Colts to get true recognition. So we as fans have grown used to not being in the spotlight. 

 

But on the other hand, so many people want to see the Colts become the next NFL dynasty. And in order for that to happen this organization needs to get used to being in the spotlight. They need to get used to being praised all the time. They need to get to a place where it doesn't matter if people are talking to up or not. 

 

I am embracing this. Because being in the spotlight and being praised all the time comes with the territory of being an NFL dynasty... so happy Ballard is the man running the show. He understands that outside noise is just that. Noise. 

 

And as a fan for the last 16 years I'm going to eat this up. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, chad72 said:

Albert Breer has to make up for kissing Josh McDaniels' behind when he published that unsubstantiated "organizational structure" crap about the Colts. I lost respect for him when he said that. Remember this link??? I have not forgotten.

 

 

We, Colts fans, are pretty high on Ballard, regardless of whether Breer sings his praises or not. 

 

 I would think JM would have wanted to have serious amounts of roster control.

That therefore might have given some pause. No way did NE want to compete against him.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

 

I've seen this statement a few times around the board and I have to say I agree and disagree. The Colts have always been the underdog. Even during the manning era it took forever for the Colts to get true recognition. So we as fans have grown used to not being in the spotlight. 

 

But on the other hand, so many people want to see the Colts become the next NFL dynasty. And in order for that to happen this organization needs to get used to being in the spotlight. They need to get used to being praised all the time. They need to get to a place where it doesn't matter if people are talking to up or not. 

 

I am embracing this. Because being in the spotlight and being praised all the time comes with the territory of being an NFL dynasty... so happy Ballard is the man running the show. He understands that outside noise is just that. Noise. 

 

And as a fan for the last 16 years I'm going to eat this up. 

 

Very good point made.

 

The underdog role has been our "fuel". It's easy to get complacent and feel like you've got it wrapped up once all the talking heads start giving you W's before you even step on the practice field.

 

I too am glad Ballard and Reich are here to keep the young guys focused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure what Breer is drinking these days but I might guess he's abusing the beverage thats almost spelled like his name. Lol 

Best offseason?

I like the Houston and not against the Funchess signings but don't think along with our draft that our off season is the best of all the teams.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff as usual, @stitches. Ballard is building a team as I like it, through the draft and without overly spending in free agency. I've never been a fan of spending on free agents outside the organization. 

 

Anyhow, other teams' fans want their favorite teams to emulate what the Colts have done. The Jets SB Nation site has a good piece on how Ballard has built the Colts. One area the writer mentions is the value that Ballard has placed on second round picks. I thought it was a good read. 

 

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2019/5/21/18631702/the-colts-provide-the-jets-with-a-great-model-to-turn-things-around

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

but don't think along with our draft that our off season is the best of all the teams.

 

Who had better?

 

Who had the best?

 

Who are your top 10?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 3:56 PM, braveheartcolt said:

So Ballard sees the 2020 rookie WR class as stacked. Funchess got a one year deal. No pressure then Devin....

I wonder what that means for Hilton.  Will 2020 be his last year in Indy?  If Campbell and Cain develop nicely, and a solid WR is drafted next year, that could be the end of Hilton's time here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Who had better?

 

Who had the best?

 

Who are your top 10?

 

So your saying wirh Houston, Funchess and no picks in 1st round we had the best??

 

Not researching all teams offseason but just going off top of my head I'd say Raiders, Pats had a very good draft. Jags got a SB mvp qb. Browns got the most talented wr in nfl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Not researching all teams offseason

 

You do this every year.

 

You throw out an opinion on the Colts offseason without a reference point to compare it to.  The Colts Free Agency is never good enough for you, but compared to what?  The Colts Draft is never good enough for you, but compared to what?  You only know the Colts offseason, and not the other 31 teams, so you have no point of reference other than what you think the Colts should have done.

 

If you want to talk comparatively, the Colts have had some pretty good offseasons under Ballard compared to the other 31 teams.  But if you just want to talk about what you think they should have done, I'm guessing none of the 32 teams have good offseasons.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2019 at 10:36 AM, stitches said:

Ballard has long-term view of the roster!!! They are looking ahead for following year's drafts and assessing the potential strengths and weaknesses of future drafts. He thinks next year's draft will be stacked WR-wise: 

  Quote

“We think next year’s receiver class is pretty good,” Ballard said, before doubling down. “It’s gonna be really good.”

 

 

Sorry,  been meaning to respond to this point with a reminder.    One year ago,  Ballard was talking about the 19 draft by raving about the DL class we all just saw get drafted.    So, I personally wouldn't read too much into his observatin that the wide receiver class looks very good.    Ballard almost passed over the entire DL class,  and didn't address the OL class until R7.    Even as late as the week of the draft, Ballard stated that the Colts would always pay close attention to both lines.  Then he turned around and almost avoided them.

 

As for next year's great WR class?   Maybe we take one in R1?    Maybe.   Or maybe R2?    Or R3?  Maybe.

 

But I also read his comment as a subtle message to players like TY and Funchess and Rodgers and the 27 other nameless, faceless WR's who are also on our roster.   That they shouldn't price themselves off the roster next year when looking for their next contract.    That they should played their best or they could easily be replaced.   Ballard doesn't do anything with a heavy hand.   But he's not above a little subtle messaging to those who might need a reminder.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2019 at 2:37 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

You do this every year.

 

You throw out an opinion on the Colts offseason without a reference point to compare it to.  The Colts Free Agency is never good enough for you, but compared to what?  The Colts Draft is never good enough for you, but compared to what?  You only know the Colts offseason, and not the other 31 teams, so you have no point of reference other than what you think the Colts should have done.

 

If you want to talk comparatively, the Colts have had some pretty good offseasons under Ballard compared to the other 31 teams.  But if you just want to talk about what you think they should have done, I'm guessing none of the 32 teams have good offseasons.

 

There you go again with your argumentative homer bias rants. Lol

 

The Raiders acquired WR's Antonio Brown & Tyrell Williams.... T Trent Brown ... S Joyner plus 3 First Round picks DE Ferrell, best rated RB Josh Jacobs and S Abram!!!

 

The Brownies added to a already stacked team the most talented WR OBJ..... Olivea Vernon... Sheldon Richardson... star RB Kareem Hunt and drafted possibly the best CB Greedy Williams.

 

Jets added RB Leveon Bell.... CJ Mosley... twice pro bowler G Osmele and 3rd overalk pick DT Quin Williams.

 

I'm not even going to mention pats moves/draft caus I hate them but it was good.

 

It's not the end of the world(for colt fans) if in May the Colts didn't win the off season OR if Warner doesn't include Luck on his Top 5 list......unless of course the Colt fan is YOU! haha

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 9:36 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

There you go again with your argumentative homer bias rants. Lol

 

It's not the end of the world(for colt fans) if in May the Colts didn't win the off seasonOR if Warner doesn't include Luck on his Top 5 list......unless of course the Colt fan is YOU! 

 

Am I a homer?  Yes.

 

Did I say the Colts had the best offseason this year?  No.  (It's too early to say one way or another)

 

Since we now have the results of this past season to judge last years offseason, is it safe to say that the Colts had the best offseason last year?  Yes.  (An offseason you were critical of at this time last year)

 

We'll have to see how this season turns out before we decide who had the best offseason this year.  (But if you wanna crown the Raiders, then crown 'em  :P)

 

:hat:

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

Am I a homer?  Yes.

 

Did I say the Colts had the best offseason this year?  No.  (It's too early to say one way or another)

 

Since we now have the results of this past season to judge last years offseason, is it safe to say that the Colts had the best offseason last year?  Yes.  (An offseason you were critical of at this time last year)

 

We'll have to see how this season turns out before we decide who had the best offseason this year.  (But if you wanna crown the Raiders, then crown 'em  :P)

 

:hat:

...and we let them off the hook. :) 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think most of us are thinking Ballard will strike again with this years draft, which is probably wishful thinking. We are also lapping up the 'good dressing room character' philisophy and the 'build from within culture'. Whilst good on paper, we may be getting carried away. 

 

But with Luck tucked up our sleeve, it could all just land perfectly. It' s good to dream, is it not.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Ssuper Bowl in Miami? Check.  Media jumping on our bandwagon finally? Check. Irsay spotted at Bilderberg? We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It wouldn’t shock me if our receiving core was TY, Funchess, Campbell, Cain and Fountain though. Especially if someone steps up on punt returns.
    • Fountain couldn’t  even make the roster last season when we had no receivers though. Instead of saying working back into the lineup I could of said bringing him into the lineup slowly. I noticed today that a lot of players on other teams were announced as being on Pup today. Doesn’t look like Cain will be. He looks really good on videos he posts on Instagram.  This team is so high on him and think he is going to be a star. It would be shocking if they let him go before they see what he can do when fully healthy. Fountain would really have to show star potential.
    • This is where I think a lot of Colt fans could be disappointed - when was Cain ever IN the lineup?  He was obviously set up for more instant success than Fountain b/c of Clemson coaching and better competition (vis-a-vis that of N. Iowa).  However, Fountain has likely developed way more than Cain since he’s been in Indy.  And look up their workout numbers - Fountain is an incredible athlete.
    • All I read from that is that on two separate occasions he was frustrated. The first just after having a friend murdered, very understandable. the other after having a really poor game while hurt players scream at refs all the time so I don't hold that against him and he could have handled the media better but he wasn't even really that bad then.
    • The 2006 Bears finished 13-3 (best in the NFC), tied for 2nd in the NFL in points scored, were 3rd in points allowed, had a great two-headed rushing attack, and arguably the best defense/special teams in the league.  Oh, and they DESTROYED the Brees-led Saints 39-14 in the NFCCG...   How were the Bears a "weak" opponent?   Just because of Rex Grossman?  When the Ravens won a Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer, was that a "weak" team?  Were the Broncos "weak" when they won with a sub-par Manning?
  • Members

    • CheezyColt

      CheezyColt 633

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • aaron11

      aaron11 2,024

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • el duderino

      el duderino 61

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • kschrock88

      kschrock88 1

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BProland85

      BProland85 2,294

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DougDew

      DougDew 3,098

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ReMeDy

      ReMeDy 2,698

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jared Cisneros

      Jared Cisneros 4,079

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • COLTS7

      COLTS7 283

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 8,196

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...