Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upcoming OTA's and Mini Camps

Scott Pennock

With OTA's upon us and Mini Camps soon after, Ballard made mention of some injuries that will likely hold out or limit a few folks.

There are ALWAYS silver linings from these types of situations - unless you're a glass half empty kinda fan!??!

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/17/indianapolis-colts-injury-updates-ota-darius-leonard-deon-cain/

Here’s a quick look at some of the players Ballard discussed with injury updates:

LB Darius Leonard

It appears the First-Team All-Pro and Defensive Rookie of the Year honors weren’t impressive enough. Leonard dealt with an ankle issue through the majority of his rookie campaign and underwent a procedure last week. He’s expected to miss the next six weeks but be ready for training camp.

Silver lining - This gives the uber talented E.J. Speed the opportunity to maximize his reps and really take to the transition from Tarelton State to the pro's. Plus.....imagine the Maniac with 2 healthy ankles next year!

WR Deon Cain

The former sixth-round pick missed his entire rookie season due to a torn ACL he suffered in the preseason opener. His recovery from surgery appears to be going well and is expected to be a “full-go” for training camp.

Silver Lining: This gives his running mate Fountain an opportunity to flex his muscles a bit and cement his spot on the 53.

TE Jack Doyle

Doyle had offseason surgery to repair a hip injuryand is expected to miss OTAs. It isn’t clear if he will be 100% ready for training camp at this point, and it appears to be more of a waiting game in terms of his status for the summer.

Silver Lining: This gives Hentges the opportunity to show the blocking skills he's known for.

TE Eric Ebron

It wasn’t clear what type of procedure Ebron underwent this offseason, but it was clear he had something done this offseason. Ballard told reporters it was a groin issue, and that it is likely he’s limited for the spring. His training camp status isn’t clear.

Silver Lining: this gives Ali-Cox and Brown the opportunity to show they can be that big, fast TE as a flex option.

S Clayton Geathers

The veteran safety didn’t undergo any procedures this offseason that we know of, but it can be expected that Geathers will be somewhat limited during the spring practices as the Colts look to keep him fresh. He signed a one-year extension this offseason to return.

Silver Lining: This should free up reps for Willis (and potentially Kindred) to help cement his spot that much sooner.

WR T.Y. Hilton

Ghost was incredible down the stretch of 2018’s end dealing with a high and low sprain on the same ankle. Fortunately, it doesn’t appear he had a procedure done. But Ballard did say the veteran speedster could be limited during the spring in order to keep him fresh.

Silver Lining: Let's get Penny Hart and Parris Campbell out there on the edge as well as the slot to show their wares!

TE Ross Travis

While working his way to a roster spot in the final preseason game, Travis, unfortunately, suffered a torn ACL after making a long catch. He missed the 2018 season but was brought back as a restricted free agent this offseason. The expectation is that Travis should be cleared for training camp.

Silver Lining: See Ebron's comments above.

LB Anthony Walker

Though Ballard didn’t disclose an injury to the media, Walker could be limited during OTAs and minicamp.

Silver Lining: This gives Okereke an opportunity to maximize his reps and get up to speed quicker. Ladt year, Skai Moore took advantage and even started the first game - if you recall.

Generally speaking, outside of Cain every veteran above has shown in games what they can do. So to give those extra reps to the rookies behind them will only help with our depth being better prepared and/or the FO decides to go younger and make a surprise cut or two?

Thoughts? Anyone I may have missed?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am excited to see Luck throwing to Campbell and Funchess. 

Agreed. Funchess is much better than his old QB made him look like.

4 wide sets with TY and Cain running deep posts/crosses and Funchess and Campbell running the short to intermediate routes will be a thing of beauty. Pick your poison defense.....

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am excited to see Luck throwing to Campbell and Funchess. 

I certainly hope Luck is the one throwing to them. I found it curious that he reportedly wasn't throwing in phase 2 workouts. I'm sure he's good or Ballard would have mentioned it.

16 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I certainly hope Luck is the one throwing to them. I found it curious that he reportedly wasn't throwing in phase 2 workouts. I'm sure he's good or Ballard would have mentioned it.

Luck mentioned when they got back into the building he hadn’t started throwing yet and was just pacing himself. I am sure he will be throwing when OTA start. 

7 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

4 wide sets with TY and Cain running deep posts/crosses and Funchess and Campbell running the short to intermediate routes will be a thing of beauty. Pick your poison defense.....

So......... recently my nephew picked up a game of CLUE.  He, I, and my brother have been playing.

Now, every time I see your name, i think "Mrs Peacock, with the candlestick, in the billiard room."

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

So......... recently my nephew picked up a game of CLUE.  He, I, and my brother have been playing.

Now, every time I see your name, i think "Mrs Peacock, with the candlestick, in the billiard room."

I'm 47 years young and have had that been said many, many times in those years! Lol

On 5/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, Scott Pennock said:

Not to be a downer but Funchess dropped 1 in every 8 passes throwned to him last season on average that’s to high. But hopefully he’ll improve on that this season only time will tell. 

18 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Luck mentioned when they got back into the building he hadn’t started throwing yet and was just pacing himself. I am sure he will be throwing when OTA start. 

Yes, and the media will be there to see it so we can hear about it. 

4 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Not to be a downer but Funchess dropped 1 in every 8 passes throwned to him last season on average that’s to high. But hopefully he’ll improve on that this season only time will tell. 

True statement. Same was said of Ebron and look what happened when he had a better QB throwing him the ball!? I have faith that when most balls are hitting him in stride he'll catch more of them.

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

Throw out his Detroit game and he had a better catch rate than T Y.

I'm looking forward to the battle at the WR position between Fountain, Pascal (KR), Rogers (PR), Johnson (KR), Ishmael, Hogan, Hart (KR & PR), Dulin (KR & PR) and Veasy.

In my opinion if Campbell shows he can handle both punt and kick return duties that may make several players obsolete.

In fact, as much "physical" talent that has been added that may be the only route onto the team this year is thru the return game. This may be the only spot an UDFA makes the roster: either Hart or Dulin.

Ishmael, Hogan and Veasy are one trick ponies and will likely be the first 3 to get cut.

Looking forward to seeing/hearing about E.J. Speed adapts to pro practice tempo and speed. 

Same thing with Okereke, I'd like to see how quickly he picks up the playbook and gives Walker a run for his money.

Would like to see Banogu and how quickly he adapts to the pro style and SAM backer.

Lastly, who among Tre Thomas, Ahmad Thomas, Matt Adams, Zaire Franklin and Skai Moore is going to win the two special teams spots....

Looking forward to the competition behind Sheard and Houston for the defensive end spots.

Both Phillips and Turay showed a lot of speed and bend off the edge.

Muhammad always seemed to be a step behind on at least 5-6 sacks last year but held the edge very well versus the run.

Dadi Nicolas's profile is the same as the others, twitchy, fast first step and can bend the edge. We'll see what he offers.

Lastly there is Gerri Green who seems more like a mix between Sheard and Muhammad....better as an edge setter but has some pass rush ability.