Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NY Metro thoughts I have heard > " Wish we had Ballard "

HOF19

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well maybe it's not totally Ballard's philosophy. Maybe some part or more is because of Irsay's financial situation compared to other owners if NCF is correct. And I have no reason to beleive he is not. 

The following is a post from our NCF from the thread that Irsay Donated $1 million to cancer. I apologise for not being able to paste it better on my phone :

"I don’t know that I have any “data”.   But I did say that the Colts Signing Bonuses are very small.  I believe them to be among the smallest in the league. 

Signing bonuses are typically in the 40-60 percent rate.   Sometimes closer to 33 percent.   Colts SB’s are often very small.   Don’t take my word for it.   I mentioned Hilton and AC.    See what they signed for.   See what the SB was.

Look at the Desir contract.   Small SB.  Look at the Glowinski contract.   Same. 

Check out the Houston and Funchess deals.   Small SB, but a very high guaranteed salary.   Check the Hankins deal we did a few years back. 

Does Irsay have another business where he makes money?   Not that I’m aware of. 

If if I had to guess — and it’s only a guess — my hunch would be Irsay would be inthe lower half of the 32 owners as far as available cash.  Small market and all that.

None of this should be read as a knock on Irsay.   Not meant that way at all."

I'm just taking what Ballard says at face value and he seems to back that up with his actions.  I am fine with NCF, or anyone else speculating, but it is just speculation.  Ballard seems to be willing to pay, to a point, to retain the players that he wants to retain.  His actions back up his words, so there is no reason for me to doubt when he says that in his opinion FA is fools gold and that he wants to be able to retain the players that perform well for the Colts.  I heard Ballard has also discussed the lack of fiscal discipline in the NFL and that he wants to be fiscally disciplined.  I haven't seen Irsay unwilling to pony up the funds for players in the past, either in FA or to retain players.  So, it seems to me that it is Ballard's philosophy that is driving the decisions with regard to who gets paid and how much. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well maybe it's not totally Ballard's philosophy. Maybe some part or more is because of Irsay's financial situation compared to other owners if NCF is correct. And I have no reason to beleive he is not. 

The following is a post from our NCF from the thread that Irsay Donated $1 million to cancer. I apologise for not being able to paste it better on my phone :

"I don’t know that I have any “data”.   But I did say that the Colts Signing Bonuses are very small.  I believe them to be among the smallest in the league. 

Signing bonuses are typically in the 40-60 percent rate.   Sometimes closer to 33 percent.   Colts SB’s are often very small.   Don’t take my word for it.   I mentioned Hilton and AC.    See what they signed for.   See what the SB was.

Look at the Desir contract.   Small SB.  Look at the Glowinski contract.   Same. 

Check out the Houston and Funchess deals.   Small SB, but a very high guaranteed salary.   Check the Hankins deal we did a few years back. 

Does Irsay have another business where he makes money?   Not that I’m aware of. 

If if I had to guess — and it’s only a guess — my hunch would be Irsay would be inthe lower half of the 32 owners as far as available cash.  Small market and all that.

None of this should be read as a knock on Irsay.   Not meant that way at all."

Ballard is bringing in guys with a "team first" mentality and is why 

the signing bonuses are lower than average. If guys want top dollar

then they will most likely have to go to another team that is willing

to put all of their eggs in one basket.

It is going to get real interesting when contracts of Luck, Quenton 

and Leonard come up if they want to be top paid at their positions

or take a home town discount to be a part of a "team first" unit.

NE don't pay max contracts and place all of their eggs in one basket

and are the blueprint of sustained success.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:27 AM, NannyMcafee said:

Cap space is for players. Not coaches or GMs. If Ballard does good through his contract, and people still think hes the next up coming great GM, then he will in fact pay the man. You dont let someone like Ballard walk without a reason for it, and money won't be that reason. What makes you think all irsay has is 50 million? Cap space has nothing to do with the front office. 

Also that cap space is there for Ballard to spend who's not spending it. Irsay has been on record multiple times saying he likes to not be involved in those decisions. The cap space is ballards to spend or not spend. 

I just dont understand where you're coming from.

Also, if you used Google you would see that irsays net worth is 2.7 billion. Not a measly 50 million. No one in this league is going to pay Ballard a billion dollars. 

I agree... 

Irsay doesn't interfere with Ballard's decision making. He's made it clear in the past and through comments to the media recently that he will open his pocket book to win... Ballard has saved the Irsay family so much money by operating on a fraction of the salaries they were accustomed to in the past... so much that they invested $50 million in facility upgrades. No business owner does that unless it is justified in savings elsewhere. Irsay will make Ballard the top paid GM in the leage before he lets him walk away. 

And why would Ballard walk? Just up and move his family to an expensive city and add serious risk to his career? As long as he keeps producing and doing a good job here, he has the safest job in sports. Period.

Just now, ColtStrong2013 said:

Irsay doesn't interfere with Ballard's decision making. He's made it clear in the past and through comments to the media recently that he will open his pocket book to win... Ballard has saved the Irsay family so much money by operating on a fraction of the salaries they were accustomed to in the past... so much that they invested $50 million in facility upgrades. No business owner does that unless it is justified in savings elsewhere. Irsay will make Ballard the top paid GM in the leage before he lets him walk away. 

And why would Ballard walk? Just up and move his family to an expensive city and add serious risk to his career? As long as he keeps producing and doing a good job here, he has the safest job in sports. Period.

Completely agree. You don't have to convince me though. I can clearly see what Ballard is doing and I have completely bought into his plan. 

On 5/17/2019 at 8:35 AM, BlueCrew48 said:

Irsay has +50 mil in cap space sitting there to spend on players to win this year, and he's not.  I'm not so sure he will throw the bank at Ballard as much as you seem to think.

You pay Ballard money to build a great team with as much open cap space as possible so when a can't miss but higher cost player (or one of your own like Nelson or the Maniac or other high performance Colts players they WANT to resign) is available on the FA market.  It takes a lot of restraint and technique to build a team without throwing money at it.  I am thinking of teams like the Browns who sooner than you think will be in Cap hell if they plan on keeping all those big name players.  Conserve now so you have something to eat later.  It goes for football and everything else in life.  

On 5/17/2019 at 9:27 AM, NannyMcafee said:

Cap space is for players. Not coaches or GMs. If Ballard does good through his contract, and people still think hes the next up coming great GM, then he will in fact pay the man. You dont let someone like Ballard walk without a reason for it, and money won't be that reason. What makes you think all irsay has is 50 million? Cap space has nothing to do with the front office. 

Also that cap space is there for Ballard to spend who's not spending it. Irsay has been on record multiple times saying he likes to not be involved in those decisions. The cap space is ballards to spend or not spend. 

I just dont understand where you're coming from.

Also, if you used Google you would see that irsays net worth is 2.7 billion. Not a measly 50 million. No one in this league is going to pay Ballard a billion dollars. 

I just wanted to say, good response.  And acknowledge you responded to him before I got to it.  The best point being that Ballard has that amount of money to use as he sees fit without having to go ask "Dad" for the money each time.  That is the only way to run a team in any workplace.  The boss hires the right people to handle the work and keeps his focus on things Owners have to be involved in, which is everything above what goes on the field.  Owners that micromanage rarely win anything.  I think it is even more impressive since few owners have as much hands on experience and knowledge with their franchise as Irsay has, which few people seem to mention.  

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JPFolks said:

You pay Ballard money to build a great team with as much open cap space as possible so when a can't miss but higher cost player (or one of your own like Nelson or the Maniac or other high performance Colts players they WANT to resign) is available on the FA market.  It takes a lot of restraint and technique to build a team without throwing money at it.  I am thinking of teams like the Browns who sooner than you think will be in Cap hell if they plan on keeping all those big name players.  Conserve now so you have something to eat later.  It goes for football and everything else in life.  

I just wanted to say, good response.  And acknowledge you responded to him before I got to it.  The best point being that Ballard has that amount of money to use as he sees fit without having to go ask "Dad" for the money each time.  That is the only way to run a team in any workplace.  The boss hires the right people to handle the work and keeps his focus on things Owners have to be involved in, which is everything above what goes on the field.  Owners that micromanage rarely win anything.  I think it is even more impressive since few owners have as much hands on experience and knowledge with their franchise as Irsay has, which few people seem to mention.  

Unfortunately we are not all logical thinkers. Thank God ballard is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2019 at 7:03 PM, NewColtsFan said:

A belated welcome to the website.  Glad to have aboard.    Sorry this is our first exchange.

Your post is your opinion.  And there may be some truth there.   But it is not fact.  

Ballard has said repeatedly since he arrived that teams who spend the most rarely do well.   That teams who win free agency, the off-season spending spree,  rarely do well.   

So don't mistake our our lack of spending for a lack of commitment to do what we want.   Ballard isn’t going to leave because someone offers him more $$$.   He already had the quality he values most...   the support of an owner who is letting Ballard build slowly and methodically in the vision that he wants.  

Put another way, do you think there are a lot of owners who are willing to let their GM build this slowly?  Most owners are the opposite.   They want to win NOW!  This year, if not sooner!  Ballard is in the perfect spot for him.  I wouldn’t lose a minutes sleep that he’d leave the Colts to go elsewhere.   Not happening. 

Just a different perspective to consider...    

Classy post NCF!

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 4:05 PM, dodsworth said:

I hope Ballard is happy here because big money will try to 

sweep him away from us in time. I'm biased but I believe he is

one of the best GMs in the business.

I don't think a GM has ever quit one team to take a job with another.  Similar thing with head coaches.  Now they can be willingly traded by an organization but I don't think that they have ever of their own choice quit one team (let their contract run out) so they could take a job elsewhere.  

I'm not concerned about that.  

As with Ballard, I am happy with his performance thus far and recognize that the 2018 draft class was great on historical levels (First time two rookies made all pro on the same team since the 60's.).  But time will tell with Ballard.  We havn't done anything yet.  

• Like 1

Something to think about:

With the success that Ballard has had so far, it may be a while before the issue of Ballard staying or leaving comes up.

Since it will probably be years before we cross this bridge, Jim may not be the Irsay that ends up making this decision...  I hope Ballard is building a good relationship with Carlie!  :thmup:

2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think a GM has ever quit one team to take a job with another.  Similar thing with head coaches.  Now they can be willingly traded by an organization but I don't think that they have ever of their own choice quit one team (let their contract run out) so they could take a job elsewhere.  

I'm not concerned about that.  

As with Ballard, I am happy with his performance thus far and recognize that the 2018 draft class was great on historical levels (First time two rookies made all pro on the same team since the 60's.).  But time will tell with Ballard.  We havn't done anything yet.  

We haven't done anything yet but all indicators are pointing up 

after the first 5 games of the 2018 season. Good post.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Oh, to be a fly on the wall during that players only meeting after the 1-5 start last year...

Would have been interesting!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I don't think a GM has ever quit one team to take a job with another.  Similar thing with head coaches. 

Belichick quit the Jets after one day to go to the Patrirots.

Man, this autocorrect has a mind of its own.

9 hours ago, coltsva said:

Belichick quit the Jets after one day to go to the Patrirots.

Man, this autocorrect has a mind of its own.

He quit as the coach of the Jets.  I don't think he was GM.  

And the league stepped in when they saw what happened and awarded the Jets a draft choice.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Yep the indicators are pointing up.  I'm just not ready to pencil him in for one of the best GM's int he league yet.  

Here is something to consider.  I don't believe in curses per se but I do understand the concept of someone being a "flash in the pan"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-nfl-executive-of-the-year-award-cursed/

Employment history of the winners of the past 10 awards for the NFL executive of the year from the Pro Football Writers of America

SEASON    GM                              TEAM                                       STATUS

2018          Chris Ballard            Indianapolis Colts                  Active

2017          Howie Roseman      Philadelphia Eagles                Active

2016          Reggie McKenzie    Oakland Raiders                     Fired Dec. 10, 2018

2015           Mike Maccagnan   New York Jets                          Fired May 15, 2019

2014           Jerry Jones              Dallas Cowboys                       Owner

2013           John Dorsey            Kansas City Chiefs                  Fired June 22, 2017

2012          Ryan Grigson           Indianapolis Colts                  Fired Jan. 21, 2017

2011          Trent Baalke            San Francisco 49ers               Fired Jan. 1, 2016

2010          Scott Pioli                 Kansas City Chiefs                  Fired Jan. 4, 2013

2009          Bill Polian                 Indianapolis Colts                  Fired Jan. 3 2012

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yep the indicators are pointing up.  I'm just not ready to pencil him in for one of the best GM's int he league yet.  

Here is something to consider.  I don't believe in curses per se but I do understand the concept of someone being a "flash in the pan"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-the-nfl-executive-of-the-year-award-cursed/

Interesting article, it appears that Ballard is doing things a little

different so I don't foresee him stubbing his toe. When it comes to

cap space and inking deals, he is tighter than tree bark.

He doesn't get all giddy with big named free agents and over spend.

3 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Interesting article, it appears that Ballard is doing things a little

different so I don't foresee him stubbing his toe. When it comes to

cap space and inking deals, he is tighter than tree bark.

He doesn't get all giddy with big named free agents and over spend.

That's true and I certainly have hope for him.  Especially since the turn around was based heavily on one strong draft not on big free agent signings or trades.  

That said I see it as a reminder that the best GM's are determined by who keeps their team in playoff contention year after year after year and not who makes the biggest splash turnaround.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part I like his philosophy and like where the team is headed.  But there still is a lot to prove.

• Like 1