Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NY Metro thoughts I have heard > " Wish we had Ballard "

HOF19

Actually heard thoughts/opinions "Would trade Giants or Jets owner/ GM combo for Colts owner/GM combo . NY Media (and fans ) nominating Giants and Jets " Top 2 most dysfunctional organizations in NFL "

Just now, HOF19 said:

Actually heard thoughts/opinions "Would trade Giants or Jets owner/ GM combo for Colts owner/GM combo . NY Media (and fans ) nominating Giants and Jets " Top 2 most dysfunctional organizations in NFL "

I read a Jets message board yesterday and someone mentioned they wished Ballard was their GM. A Jets fan also said that after the 2018 draft trade we made with them after one of their forum members posted an interview of Ballard preaching about building through the draft.

We are very lucky to be Colts fans! :thmup:

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

I hope Ballard is happy here because big money will try to 

sweep him away from us in time. I'm biased but I believe he is

one of the best GMs in the business.

Ballard isn't going anywhere unless he decides to retire one day. We'll lose some assistants, but Ballard will remain a constant here. I agree that we'll give him a nice raise at some point.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Ballard isn't going anywhere unless he decides to retire one day. We'll lose some assistants, but Ballard will remain a constant here. I agree that we'll give him a nice raise at some point.

I sure hope so Cis, I couldn't fathom going back to the days 

of clueless general managers. When this message board is 

is all lined up behind him then that is really saying something

about the job he is doing.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ballard will never leave what he has built and continues to build. How he has talked about building the locker room with a loyalty I dont see him, himself not being loyal. 

Good post and good observation but big money has a lot of pull

here in America. I hope you are correct. 

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Irsay will out bid any organization in the NFL if that's what it comes down to. 

Irsay is an awesome owner and Indy is a nice NFL city to live in

as far as bigger cities go. That should come into play if some team

tries to snipe him from us.

Ballard also said he wanted to be in the Midwest so what more 

could he want? Win win for everyone.....especially the fans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dodsworth said:

Irsay is cool but if he let Ballard walk I'd really hate him lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I read a Jets message board yesterday and someone mentioned they wished Ballard was their GM. A Jets fan also said that after the 2018 draft trade we made with them after one of their forum members posted an interview of Ballard preaching about building through the draft.

We are very lucky to be Colts fans! :thmup:

Yes, you aren't kidding we are extremely lucky and it's going to be a great season. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I want Ballard to be here for years and years to come and if so were in good hands. 

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Yes, he will

Ballard has 5 kids and has said that he wants to raise his kids in the Midwest. That's why he turned down past jobs in other parts of the country. I don't think there is anything to worry about as far as him taking his family to NY/NJ.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Irsay has +50 mil in cap space sitting there to spend on players to win this year, and he's not.  I'm not so sure he will throw the bank at Ballard as much as you seem to think.

54 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Irsay has +50 mil in cap space sitting there to spend on players to win this year, and he's not.  I'm not so sure he will throw the bank at Ballard as much as you seem to think.

Cap space is for players. Not coaches or GMs. If Ballard does good through his contract, and people still think hes the next up coming great GM, then he will in fact pay the man. You dont let someone like Ballard walk without a reason for it, and money won't be that reason. What makes you think all irsay has is 50 million? Cap space has nothing to do with the front office. 

Also that cap space is there for Ballard to spend who's not spending it. Irsay has been on record multiple times saying he likes to not be involved in those decisions. The cap space is ballards to spend or not spend. 

I just dont understand where you're coming from.

Also, if you used Google you would see that irsays net worth is 2.7 billion. Not a measly 50 million. No one in this league is going to pay Ballard a billion dollars. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Irsay, for years dabbled at being an at best mediocre GM. And he was bad as Grigson's "Mentor".
 Now he is being educated for the second time by a PHD GM. Something tells me he will be wiser for it this time.
 Prayers for all working hard under the Colts banner.  :colts:

Ballard is such an icon here in Indy.  Considered the best GM ever.  He will never be fired.  Unless he allows his son who aspires to be a GM to conduct three consecutive drafts, and he absolutely bombs on all three of them.

Oh, that was Bill Polian.  Right.

2 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

It's not Irsay's cap space it's the Colts' cap space and Ballard is the one choosing not to spend it. Irsay has and always will give his GM's free reign to execute their plan. He let Grigson spend all he wanted. Jim will do anything needed to win, he's never been tight with money.

• Like 1

GMs, like head coaches, are "hired to be fired". They get a lot of the credit when their teams are winning, but take a lot of the slings and arrows (sometimes, deservedly so) when things go south. Ballard, however, seems to have developed the secret sauce for rebuilding an NFL team from the inside out, developing home-grown players with speed and character rather than just throwing huge chunks of cap cash at overpriced divas and big names that are past their sell-by dates. He seems to be able to pull some special rabbits out of his hat, even when drafting late in each round, and I think we'll be blessed with him running the show in Indy for a long time to come. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I love Spam, fry it and put a little ketchup on it and it's all good meat eating GIF by Funimation

Throw on a big slice of Velveta!  When I was in the Air Force, stationed on Guam, we ate quite a bit of spam.  And you were limited to how much you could buy at the Commissary (grocery store for you civilians!) 

Oh - and Ballard seems to be doing a good job.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Throw on a big slice of Velveta!  When I was in the Air Force, stationed on Guam, we ate quite a bit of spam.  And you were limited to how much you could buy at the Commissary (grocery store for you civilians!) 

Can't go wrong with Velveta :thmup:. As a kid I remember my dad frying it up a lot and I liked it. I haven't ate it in years but when I was real young I liked it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Can't go wrong with Velveta :thmup:. As a kid I remember my dad frying it up a lot and I liked it. I haven't ate it in years but when I was real young I liked it.

Yep - childhood memories...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Thank you for your service. I use cubed light spam/red potatoes/sautéed onion in an awesome hash I make sometimes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GoColtsWin said:

Thank you for your service. I use cubed light spam/red potatoes/sautéed onion in an awesome hash I make sometimes. 

Thanks for the recognition.  When you don't know what else to do you stay for 20 years. 

And I'm thinking about making some Spam hash now.  That sounds great.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Cap space is for players. Not coaches or GMs. If Ballard does good through his contract, and people still think hes the next up coming great GM, then he will in fact pay the man. You dont let someone like Ballard walk without a reason for it, and money won't be that reason. What makes you think all irsay has is 50 million? Cap space has nothing to do with the front office. 

Also that cap space is there for Ballard to spend who's not spending it. Irsay has been on record multiple times saying he likes to not be involved in those decisions. The cap space is ballards to spend or not spend. 

I just dont understand where you're coming from.

Also, if you used Google you would see that irsays net worth is 2.7 billion. Not a measly 50 million. No one in this league is going to pay Ballard a billion dollars. 

I know cap space is for players and not coaches and GM's. Spending what you are allowed too to have the best chance to win is trying your hardest.  Going into a season with an extra 50 mil left over tells me that you are not willing to do whatever it takes to win.  You added a lot of your own dumb opinions to my comment,  I never said Irsay only has 50 mil, and dont know how you read it that way.  I also never said anyone is going to give Ballard billions.  My point was simple, the Colts dont spend up to or exceed the salaray cap, which equals doing whatever it takes to win.  When it comes down to pay Ballard, there will be teams willing to exceed what the Colts will be willing to pay him.  Look at the Raiders and Gruden (not saying that was smart) but they were willing to spend 10 mill per year for their guy.  I don't ever expect to see that happening here.  If Ballard is getting offered 3-4 mil per year, year after year to go elsewhere, while making 1.5 or so here, he won't turn it down forever.

You can believe it if you want too, but I don't believe for 1 second that an owner/business man is not going to have a say about how his money is spent.  That's just stupid.

4 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Spending what you are allowed too to have the best chance to win is trying your hardest.  Going into a season with an extra 50 mil left over tells me that you are not willing to do whatever it takes to win.  My point was simple, the Colts dont spend up to or exceed the salaray cap, which equals doing whatever it takes to win. 

If you listen to Ballard you would understand his philosophy on Free Agency and why he doesn't spend a lot on them.  He has said on multiple occasions that FA is fools gold.  

Ballard has also said that he wants to reward the players that are here and performing.  That not only keeps the better players here, but it also shows the other players in the locker room that if they perform, Ballard will try to take care of them with their next contract.

You can disagree with Ballard's philosophy, but it is his, he is the GM and he seems to be doing a pretty good job so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

53 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

I know cap space is for players and not coaches and GM's. Spending what you are allowed too to have the best chance to win is trying your hardest.  Going into a season with an extra 50 mil left over tells me that you are not willing to do whatever it takes to win.  You added a lot of your own dumb opinions to my comment,  I never said Irsay only has 50 mil, and dont know how you read it that way.  I also never said anyone is going to give Ballard billions.  My point was simple, the Colts dont spend up to or exceed the salaray cap, which equals doing whatever it takes to win.  When it comes down to pay Ballard, there will be teams willing to exceed what the Colts will be willing to pay him.  Look at the Raiders and Gruden (not saying that was smart) but they were willing to spend 10 mill per year for their guy.  I don't ever expect to see that happening here.  If Ballard is getting offered 3-4 mil per year, year after year to go elsewhere, while making 1.5 or so here, he won't turn it down forever.

You can believe it if you want too, but I don't believe for 1 second that an owner/business man is not going to have a say about how his money is spent.  That's just stupid.

No need to get upset. I even stated I didnt understand where you were coming from. Thanks for clarifying in your own butt hole kind of way. 

You will be glad Ballard has the cap space to sign his own stars and legitimate starters instead of losing all of our own great players. Just because you live paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean Ballard should do the same and go all in and spend most of his cap. Seriously how will he sign castanzo without cap? How will he sign Nelson or Leonard? Or luck for that matter? Calm down dude. I never insulted you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Cynjin said:

If you listen to Ballard you would understand his philosophy on Free Agency and why he doesn't spend a lot on them.  He has said on multiple occasions that FA is fools gold.  

Ballard has also said that he wants to reward the players that are here and performing.  That not only keeps the better players here, but it also shows the other players in the locker room that if they perform, Ballard will try to take care of them with their next contract.

You can disagree with Ballard's philosophy, but it is his, he is the GM and he seems to be doing a pretty good job so far.

Well maybe it's not totally Ballard's philosophy. Maybe some part or more is because of Irsay's financial situation compared to other owners if NCF is correct. And I have no reason to beleive he is not. 

The following is a post from our NCF from the thread that Irsay Donated $1 million to cancer. I apologise for not being able to paste it better on my phone :

"I don’t know that I have any “data”.   But I did say that the Colts Signing Bonuses are very small.  I believe them to be among the smallest in the league. 

Signing bonuses are typically in the 40-60 percent rate.   Sometimes closer to 33 percent.   Colts SB’s are often very small.   Don’t take my word for it.   I mentioned Hilton and AC.    See what they signed for.   See what the SB was.

Look at the Desir contract.   Small SB.  Look at the Glowinski contract.   Same. 

Check out the Houston and Funchess deals.   Small SB, but a very high guaranteed salary.   Check the Hankins deal we did a few years back. 

Does Irsay have another business where he makes money?   Not that I’m aware of. 

If if I had to guess — and it’s only a guess — my hunch would be Irsay would be inthe lower half of the 32 owners as far as available cash.  Small market and all that.

None of this should be read as a knock on Irsay.   Not meant that way at all."

40 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Well maybe it's not totally Ballard's philosophy. Maybe some part or more is because of Irsay's financial situation compared to other owners if NCF is correct. And I have no reason to beleive he is not. 

The following is a post from our NCF from the thread that Irsay Donated $1 million to cancer. I apologise for not being able to paste it better on my phone :

"I don’t know that I have any “data”.   But I did say that the Colts Signing Bonuses are very small.  I believe them to be among the smallest in the league. 

Signing bonuses are typically in the 40-60 percent rate.   Sometimes closer to 33 percent.   Colts SB’s are often very small.   Don’t take my word for it.   I mentioned Hilton and AC.    See what they signed for.   See what the SB was.

Look at the Desir contract.   Small SB.  Look at the Glowinski contract.   Same. 

Check out the Houston and Funchess deals.   Small SB, but a very high guaranteed salary.   Check the Hankins deal we did a few years back. 

Does Irsay have another business where he makes money?   Not that I’m aware of. 

If if I had to guess — and it’s only a guess — my hunch would be Irsay would be inthe lower half of the 32 owners as far as available cash.  Small market and all that.

None of this should be read as a knock on Irsay.   Not meant that way at all."

Hey...   it’s a small world!   Turns out, I just happen to be a close personal friend with NCF.    And while I don’t like speaking for other people,  I think on this case I’m willing to make a rare exception.   Sorry, long post ahead. 

There are two issues at play here...   one id Irsay’s own money.   The other issue is Colts money and cash flow.

Im not saying Irsay is poor...   only that as the owner of a small market team with no other apparent source of income (real estate, oil, high tech, etc)  his income is whatever he gives himself as owner of the Colts.   The rest goes into operating expenses.   My previous post wasn’t precise enough.  Irsay isn’t paying signing bonuses out if his own private account.   No owner does that.

That comes from operating expenses.   And like all teams, your ability to sign is based on the money you have at any given point in time.   Full of money come September (TV money, tickets, game day money,  parking, jerseys, hats, etc). But much less money in the off-season.  The Colts often guarantee money as a roster bonus, and certain monies are paid out in September when the franchise is flush with cash. 

The Colts have all the money they need for Ballard to pay whatever they want within the guidelines of the salary cap. Who he signs and how much he pays shouldn’t be subject to how much money the Colts or Irsay have.   We have plenty.   What Ballard doesn’t pay is more about his personal, professional viewpoint.  

Irsay/Ballard just got done with a complete rebuild of the facility.   That had to cost good money.  $25 mill?  $50 mill?   I know things are much less expensive in Los Angeles than in Indiana, but still...   we have the money to do whatever we want to do within reason. 

For whatever reason, we are very disciplined with our money.  Always have been.    We did this under Grigson.   We did this under Polian.   This is not just a Ballard thing.

Sorry for any confusion. 

3 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

A belated welcome to the website.  Glad to have aboard.    Sorry this is our first exchange.

Your post is your opinion.  And there may be some truth there.   But it is not fact.  

Ballard has said repeatedly since he arrived that teams who spend the most rarely do well.   That teams who win free agency, the off-season spending spree,  rarely do well.   

So don't mistake our our lack of spending for a lack of commitment to do what we want.   Ballard isn’t going to leave because someone offers him more $$$.   He already had the quality he values most...   the support of an owner who is letting Ballard build slowly and methodically in the vision that he wants.  

Put another way, do you think there are a lot of owners who are willing to let their GM build this slowly?  Most owners are the opposite.   They want to win NOW!  This year, if not sooner!  Ballard is in the perfect spot for him.  I wouldn’t lose a minutes sleep that he’d leave the Colts to go elsewhere.   Not happening. 

Just a different perspective to consider...    

• Like 2