Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post Draft mock draft

I know this doesnt do a bit of good but a good conversation piece. Knowing what players went where this is who i would have drafted with the same trades as Ballard did.

R2 P1 Rock Ya sin. I am still 100% in board with this pick and im not a big enough fan of the players drafted between this pick and the next to change it.

R2P2 A.J Brown. This guy is going to rock out and i hate the fact that we are going to have to play him twice a year now.

R2P3 Taylor Rapp. A very versatile safety who can do it all and has no problem covering tight ends and defending the run.

R3 P1 Bobby Okereke. I am still a huge fan of this pick. When he will start i still dont know but man oh man its nice to finally have depth at a position

R4 P1 Benny Snell. If we pick him we dont need to sign Ware. I think this guy would be the perfect compliment to Mack and Hines

R5 P1 Amani Oruwarlye. I understand why we took Tell but i would much rather have a polished corner capable of playing zone.

R5 P2 Joe Jackson. Personally think we could get speed later on in the draft and if it wasn't for Jackson terrible combine he would have gone higher.

R6P1 Kelvin Harmon. Was one of my top WR before the draft and incredibly polished but shouldn't have even gone to the draft.

And I am going to keep both o-line men drafted. This is of no offense to you Mr. Ballard but just something fun to see what direction everyone else would have done. Really interested to see what you would have done @stitches @Superman

The problem with this exercise is that I know where the players I like ended up being taken. For example... if I had to pick a player at 34 not knowing how the draft will unfold, I'd go with Hakeem Butler, but knowing he wouldn't go until round 4 I'd leave him for my 3d round pick. With that said, I would go strictly by my board here and as if I didn't know where the players I like would go. 

R2, P1 - Jawaan Taylor OT Florida, IMO he's a plug and play RT with the potential to be moved to LT in the future if we cannot strike a deal with AC (no. 10 on my board... the problem is he might have some health issue that made him fall and I don't know how to evaluate it so... I will just ignore it and assume he's healthy)

R2, P2 - Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State - the best receiver on my board. IMO future X-receiver in the league. The rare receiver that combines athleticism and size, YAC and contested catch ability. 

R2, P3 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida - again, no idea why he fell... reports say he didn't interview well, I don't know how to evaluate that... so ... I'm just picking him based on what I watched on tape

R3, P1 - Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame - I had him ranked as an early 2nd so... I thought he was better version of... Rock

R4, P1 - Christian Miller, DE, Alabama - underrated EDGE defender in this draft

R5. P1 - Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State - another corner I think would fit well in our system. 

R5, P2 - Gerald Willis, DT, Miami - interior pass-rusher with great burst off the snap (he went undrafted, again - seems like off-field concerns that I am not in position to evaluate, so ...) 

R6, P1 Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma... this one is for the future. Stash him on IR. Potential 3 downs back. 

So after conducting this exercise I realized that a lot of the players that slid by my board did so because of health and off-field concerns and in result I ended up drafting several of those. I guess if I had the information Ballard did I would end up not selecting them either ... 

In general I do like my draft better but I don't think it's a huge improvement over what we drafted so I don't mind it. 

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

The problem with this exercise is that I know where the players I like ended up being taken. For example... if I had to pick a player at 34 not knowing how the draft will unfold, I'd go with Hakeem Butler, but knowing he wouldn't go until round 4 I'd leave him for my 3d round pick. With that said, I would go strictly by my board here and as if I didn't know where the players I like would go. 

R2, P1 - Jawaan Taylor OT Florida, IMO he's a plug and play RT with the potential to be moved to LT in the future if we cannot strike a deal with AC (no. 10 on my board... the problem is he might have some health issue that made him fall and I don't know how to evaluate it so... I will just ignore it and assume he's healthy)

R2, P2 - Hakeem Butler, WR, Iowa State - the best receiver on my board. IMO future X-receiver in the league. The rare receiver that combines athleticism and size, YAC and contested catch ability. 

R2, P3 - Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S, Florida - again, no idea why he fell... reports say he didn't interview well, I don't know how to evaluate that... so ... I'm just picking him based on what I watched on tape

R3, P1 - Julian Love, CB, Notre Dame - I had him ranked as an early 2nd so... I thought he was better version of... Rock

R4, P1 - Christian Miller, DE, Alabama - underrated EDGE defender in this draft

R5. P1 - Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State - another corner I think would fit well in our system. 

R5, P2 - Gerald Willis, DT, Miami - interior pass-rusher with great burst off the snap (he went undrafted, again - seems like off-field concerns that I am not in position to evaluate, so ...) 

R6, P1 Rodney Anderson, RB, Oklahoma... this one is for the future. Stash him on IR. Potential 3 downs back. 

So after conducting this exercise I realized that a lot of the players that slid by my board did so because of health and off-field concerns and in result I ended up drafting several of those. I guess if I had the information Ballard did I would end up not selecting them either ... 

In general I do like my draft better but I don't think it's a huge improvement over what we drafted so I don't mind it. 

The way i did it was looked at the players taken after out pick to before our next pick to see if i wanted them more. I wanted to double dip and take A.J and Hakeem but decided not too. Satisfied we both the same on amani. I really thought we where going with Taylor with our first pick and i might wish that we did

1 hour ago, wig said:

26 - Sweat

32 - Murphy (a 4th to NE)

49 - Banogu (I don't necessarily get the pick but it's obvious they have a plan) 

59 -Campbell

89 - Boykin

Sorry.     This doesn't work because it doesn't add up.

If you stay at 26 and don't trade down,  then you don't end up with pick 49.

26 became 46 on a trade down, and from 46 we traded down a bit to get pick 49 to get Banogu.

The math is off....

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry.     This doesn't work because it doesn't add up.

If you stay at 26 and don't trade down,  then you don't end up with pick 49.

26 became 46 on a trade down, and from 46 we traded down a bit to get pick 49 to get Banogu.

The math is off....

You're right. Remove Banogu.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:53 AM, twfish said:

I know this doesnt do a bit of good but a good conversation piece. Knowing what players went where this is who i would have drafted with the same trades as Ballard did.

R2 P1 Rock Ya sin. I am still 100% in board with this pick and im not a big enough fan of the players drafted between this pick and the next to change it.

R2P2 A.J Brown. This guy is going to rock out and i hate the fact that we are going to have to play him twice a year now.

R2P3 Taylor Rapp. A very versatile safety who can do it all and has no problem covering tight ends and defending the run.

R3 P1 Bobby Okereke. I am still a huge fan of this pick. When he will start i still dont know but man oh man its nice to finally have depth at a position

R4 P1 Benny Snell. If we pick him we dont need to sign Ware. I think this guy would be the perfect compliment to Mack and Hines

R5 P1 Amani Oruwarlye. I understand why we took Tell but i would much rather have a polished corner capable of playing zone.

R5 P2 Joe Jackson. Personally think we could get speed later on in the draft and if it wasn't for Jackson terrible combine he would have gone higher.

R6P1 Kelvin Harmon. Was one of my top WR before the draft and incredibly polished but shouldn't have even gone to the draft.

And I am going to keep both o-line men drafted. This is of no offense to you Mr. Ballard but just something fun to see what direction everyone else would have done. Really interested to see what you would have done @stitches @Superman

I’ll admit that I do this exercise after every draft....can’t quite help myself and it helps me realize how little information and applied experience we all have compared to the professionals...still I do it anyway.

I can see why you like AJ Brown, Rapp, and Snell but I felt like were outside the athletic metrics Ballard is using.  Brown is tempting but ordinary as an athlete...

At 34 I’d have taken Taylor, Little or Ford.  BPA sure looked like there was some premium Oline talent available.

49 and 59 I’d stand as is.  Wanted those guys based on pre-draft commentary...I’d have been good with Campbell at 34.

At 89 Okereke wasn’t on my radar at all...nor was anybody else drafted until the 4th round.  I’d have gone with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson or Anthony Nelson at 89...

By the 4th round I usually cry uncle and admit that I just don’t know anything...

• Like 1