Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts putting together a Seattle-like defense

ColtStrong2013

The first part of the "read" is to identify what defensive formation the defense is in. Next, read the "tells" of what certain players intend to do at the snap. Three, take advantage of what you expect the defense to do, given 1 and 2. We either need to mix up the initial look, or provide unpredictable transitions from any identifiable look (i.e Cover 3). If you keep the opposing offense guessing what will happen at the snap, you've probably already won. We've never had this luxury before due to lack of talent.

Watching the "plain" Cover 2 (Tampa) during the Dungy years was very frustrating to me. I thought it was a "bend, don't win" strategy, and the weakest part of the Colts play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CoachLite said:

The first part of the "read" is to identify what defensive formation the defense is in. Next, read the "tells" of what certain players intend to do at the snap. Three, take advantage of what you expect the defense to do, given 1 and 2. We either need to mix up the initial look, or provide unpredictable transitions from any identifiable look (i.e Cover 3). If you keep the opposing offense guessing what will happen at the snap, you've probably already won. We've never had this luxury before due to lack of talent.

Watching the "plain" Cover 2 (Tampa) during the Dungy years was very frustrating to me. I thought it was a "bend, don't win" strategy, and the weakest part of the Colts play.

reason why dungy was and is overrated. He was our mike tomlin

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MFT5 said:

reason why dungy was and is overrated. He was our mike tomlin

I’ll always believe that Dungy wanted a Colts defense equal to his Tampa Bay defense but Polian and Manning wanted offense.  If We had that kind of defense we would have won multiple SBs. So blame Polian instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I’ll always believe that Dungy wanted a Colts defense equal to his Tampa Bay defense but Polian and Manning wanted offense.  If We had that kind of defense we would have won multiple SBs. So blame Polian instead.

a head coach and his gm work together if one has power over the other then the weaker individual shouldn’t be here anyway

17 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

a head coach and his gm work together if one has power over the other then the weaker individual shouldn’t be here anyway

That's ridiculous. The GM is almost always the boss of the HC. Every team has an established chain of command. That's just the way things work. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, J@son said:

That's ridiculous. The GM is almost always the boss of the HC. Every team has an established chain of command. That's just the way things work. 

A GM that micromanages the HC is Ryan Grigson... A GM is only as good as the HC he hires. It is absolutely a partnership in today's world. Very rarely does a GM keep his job longterm if the HC he hired doesn't pan out... 

19 hours ago, J@son said:

grigson was paganos boss ohh. frank and ballard dnt share a vision and work together ohh.

28 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

A GM that micromanages the HC is Ryan Grigson... A GM is only as good as the HC he hires. It is absolutely a partnership in today's world. Very rarely does a GM keep his job longterm if the HC he hired doesn't pan out... 

they just want to argue and not see reality. Dnt waste your time.

On 5/18/2019 at 12:03 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Seattle started to look scary great on D in 2013, I hope it is the same for us. 

This D wont b scary no matter how many dB s we have.  We need a Bennett to make this D work.  It starts with the front 4.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

This D wont b scary no matter how many dB s we have.  We need a Bennett to make this D work.  It starts with the front 4.  

Suh? People hate it when I bring him up, why I have no idea as Rodney Dangerfield would say haha . Suh would just dominate on a team like we have.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Suh? People hate it when I bring him up, why I have no idea as Rodney Dangerfield would say haha . Suh would just dominate on a team like we have.

On an incentive based contract....yes. A guaranteed  contract....no.  He mails it in as soon as he gets paid.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am talking a 1 year contract. 

Yea and the only way I would sign him would b based on incentives. He would have to say hit 10 sacks and then get paid.  No way am I giving him guarteed money even for one year.  Rams basically said he was a waste of money.  He turned it on in the playoffs.  I think he has turned a lot of teams off. He is all bout money, which is fine for him but not for the team that pays him.  He will lay down as soon as he gets   paid.  History doesn't lie

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Yea and the only way I would sign him would b based on incentives. He would have to say hit 10 sacks and then get paid.  No way am I giving him guarteed money even for one year.  Rams basically said he was a waste of money.  He turned it on in the playoffs.  I think he has turned a lot of teams off. He is all bout money, which is fine for him but not for the team that pays him.  He will lay down as soon as he gets   paid.  History doesn't lie

I could be wrong about this and you may be right but for 1 year I would gamble on it. If it doesn't work out he is gone and the salary cap remains the same. If it works out we could be SB champs. What ever Ballard decides to do I will roll with it, he knows more than me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Suh doesn’t fit the locker room. He’s known for being an aloof non team guy. Just the opposite of what the Colts are trying to build.  Suh just won’t do. 

Don't believe everything you hear. Suh is an awesome talent. For 1 year why not give it a shot? If it back fires it is not like it ruins anything. We still will be a good team regardless. 1 guy isn't going to ruin a locker room, if 1 guy can ruin a locker room than we have a weak bunch of guys - and we do not. Luck, Leonard, and Nelson are all leaders.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I could be wrong about this and you may be right but for 1 year I would gamble on it. If it doesn't work out he is gone and the salary cap remains the same. If it works out we could be SB champs. What ever Ballard decides to do I will roll with it, he knows more than me.

I hear wat u r saying it's one year big  deal.  I just think if u do sign him for one year u minds well just throw that money in the garbage based on history.   I don't mind taking a risk on a player. Suh to me is not a risk.  I know exactly what I am getting if I sign him to a guaranteed one year deal.  He will lay down.  Incentive based one year deal is the only way he makes it thru the front door.  Funchess is a good deal.  Young player who wants to reestablish himself so that he can increase his  market value next year.  He will play hard for future rewards.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Don't believe everything you hear. Suh is an awesome talent. For 1 year why not give it a shot? If it back fires it is not like it ruins anything. We still will be a good team regardless. 1 guy isn't going to ruin a locker room, if 1 guy can ruin a locker room than we have a weak bunch of guys - and we do not. Luck, Leonard, and Nelson are all leaders.

Suh WAS an awesome talent.

If Suh was so awesome, how is it that all three teams who have had him have let him walk?   Detroit, Miami and Lus Angeles all let him leave.   Suh hasn’t been awesome for some time.   He doesn’t even do what we want our players to do — play hard every down and give full effort on the field. 

He’s not worth the money or the trouble. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MFT5 said:

grigson was paganos boss ohh. frank and ballard dnt share a vision and work together ohh.

Not true. I was taking up for Dungy, one of the most special people that has ever been in the NFL

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Suh was so awesome, how is it that all three teams who have had him have let him walk?   Detroit, Miami and Lus Angeles all let him leave.   Suh hasn’t been awesome for some time.   He doesn’t even do what we want our players to do — play hard every down and give full effort on the field. 

So it sounds like you are even against bringing him in. Maybe I am wrong in believing we should. Not the 1st time I have been wrong lol. All of this talk by me and a few others is silly anyway because Ballard isn't signing him anyways IMO.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

So it sounds like you are even against bringing him in. Maybe I am wrong in believing we should. Not the 1st time I have been wrong lol. All of this talk by me and a few others is silly anyway because Ballard isn't signing him anyways IMO.

I don't think Suh is a guy you can "bring in"....     that typically means if he doesn't work out,  you cut him.   And I think Suh is not signing a deal where he's going to get cut in early September.

I don't see it.

Now, watch the market for Suh flatten out and Ballard winds up signing him and every fan of signing Suh will jump all over me!    (And not in a good way!)    Hey,  that's life on a fan's internet message board....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is a very good point. If you listen to Ballard he talks about the effort it takes to play in our system and the difficulty getting free agents to buy in particularly older vets. That alone makes it very unlikely that Suh plays in Indy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Not true. I was taking up for Dungy, one of the most special people that has ever been in the NFL

yu said special PERSON. i need a special COACH. dungy added nothing to the colts. that’s my opinion don’t care to debate.

1 hour ago, MFT5 said:

yu said special PERSON. i need a special COACH. dungy added nothing to the colts. that’s my opinion don’t care to debate.

Oh B'S! First of all there is no one who could have been the HC under Manning who would not have been called over rated. No matter who it was the fans would say he got whatever the accolade is because of Manning. 2nd of all there is a pretty good difference between the type of QB Peyton was under Dungy vs a mediocre guy like Jim Mora. Peyton matured a lot under Dungy and turned the ball over less. Our teams were always well prepared and disciplined under Dungy.  And Dungy made the right calls during the games. I dont care who our coach was. It's very easy when you have Peyton and some of the guys we had to say the coach was over rated. He got the Hall of Fame for his entire body of work which stretched all the way back to his days as a DC in Minnesota, his work in Tampa, and Indy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

Oh B'S! First of all there is no one who could have been the HC under Manning who would not have been called over rated. No matter who it was the fans would say he got whatever the accolade is because of Manning. 2nd of all there is a pretty good difference between the type of QB Peyton was under Dungy vs a mediocre guy like Jim Mora. Peyton matured a lot under Dungy and turned the ball over less. Our teams were always well prepared and disciplined under Dungy.  And Dungy made the right calls during the games. I dont care who our coach was. It's very easy when you have Peyton and some of the guys we had to say the coach was over rated. He got the Hall of Fame for his entire body of work which stretched all the way back to his days as a DC in Minnesota, his work in Tampa, and Indy.

yu must’ve missed where i stated idc to debate 

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I hear wat u r saying it's one year big  deal.  {snip} Incentive based one year deal is the only way he makes it thru the front door.

Not happening, at all.

A reason Suh isn't signed 'by anyone' yet?  Likely it is this-

"... but the only reports we have heard on him this offseason have concerned teams not interested in his services.

For instance, despite a positive meeting with Suh last year, the Titans are not expected to consider signing the three-time First Team All-Pro this year. And although Suh enjoyed a strong season with the Rams in 2018, L.A. is not expected to renew the partnership.

Rumor has it that Suh’s asking price is the major deterrent for clubs who may otherwise be interested in his services. "

"Suh landed a massive rookie contract from the Lions that included $40M in guaranteed money. His his six-year, $114M free-agent deal with the Dolphins ratcheted him further up the career earnings leaderboard. Even Suh’s one-year contract with the Rams paid him $14M. "

I think it is clear he expects to be paid, and will wait it out.  There just won't be any 1 year, incentive based deals with him.

I think the Colts locker room is currently strong enough to withstand any negative Suh might bring.  In fact, he may come around a bit and join the team concept.  

I'm not fully on board with the "bring in Suh" idea, but I'm not totally against it because I think DL is the teams weakest link.   

• Like 3

As a matter of fact I think we probably would have won at least 1 to 2 more Super Bowls if Dungy would have remained a Colt. I'm almost pretty sure of it because he prepared the team a different way and I think there would have been different personnel selected on the defensive and offensive sides of the football than what went down with Caldwell.  Dungy made a difference when he was here.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:52 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I agree with almost all of that.  However, at the end of the day when push comes to shove, one is the other's boss, and normally it's the GM who is the boss of the HC.  I don't think anyone wants a GM who micromanages the HC...but that doesn't change the fact that in most cases (and in ours) the HC reports to his boss, the GM.

On 5/19/2019 at 9:20 AM, MFT5 said:

was there a coherent thought in there somewhere?

1 hour ago, J@son said:

I agree with almost all of that.  However, at the end of the day when push comes to shove, one is the other's boss, and normally it's the GM who is the boss of the HC.  I don't think anyone wants a GM who micromanages the HC...but that doesn't change the fact that in most cases (and in ours) the HC reports to his boss, the GM.

When push comes to shove, the owner usually finds a new GM which in turn wants to hire his own HC. We saw that happen here. It happens a lot. Of course the HC reports the GM. But a good GM does not interfere with the HC's duties. 

43 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

When push comes to shove, the owner usually finds a new GM which in turn wants to hire his own HC. We saw that happen here. It happens a lot. 

It happens both ways.  Sometimes the owner hires a new GM and keeps his HC.  Sometimes the owner hires a new HC and keeps the GM.  Other times, the owner hires new GM and they get a new HC together.

Doesn't change the fact that for most teams, the chain of command dictates that the GM is the HC's superior.

8 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

yea that yu love me 

that's a stretch :P

15 hours ago, MFT5 said:

If I read you correctly...   Tony Dungy added NOTHING to the Colts.    And that’s your....    opinion?!?   

Holy Cow!!

Well...    there’s always someone.   Always one in every crowd... 

And I thought I had read it all here...

Shaking My Damn Head....         :facepalm:

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If I read you correctly...   Tony Dungy added NOTHING to the Colts.    And that’s your....    opinion?!?   

Holy Cow!!

Well...    there’s always someone.   Always one in every crowd... 

And I thought I had read it all here...

Shaking My Damn Head....         :facepalm:

his forte was defense our defense was trash. We had peyton Manning and got to 1 SB w dungy if that’s not underwhelming idk what yu think success is lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MFT5 said:

his forte was defense our defense was trash. We had peyton Manning and got to 1 SB w dungy if that’s not underwhelming idk what yu think success is lol

You're entitled to any opinion you want,  but in my 7 years here,  you might be the first person I've seen blame Dungy....

Most blame Polian for focusing too much on offense and not nearly enough on defense.    You had two HoF talents in Freeney and Mathis,  but everyone else was just a nice complimentary piece.  Even Bob Sanders only played in less than 50 percent of the possible games...

The second person people blame is Peyton himself.    As you know he had a very poor track record of playoff performances for 8 years leading up to his first Super Bowl.

And the third person people blame...    mostly on general principle and, well,  just because,  is Ryan Grigson!    He's also responsible for the stock market crash of 1929 and the kidnapping of the Lindberg baby.      

But if you want to blame Dungy,  you go right ahead....    have fun with that one!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're entitled to any opinion you want,  but in my 7 years here,  you might be the first person I've seen blame Dungy....

Most blame Polian for focusing too much on offense and not nearly enough on defense.    You had two HoF talents in Freeney and Mathis,  but everyone else was just a nice complimentary piece.  Even Bob Sanders only played in less than 50 percent of the possible games...

The second person people blame is Peyton himself.    As you know he had a very poor track record of playoff performances for 8 years leading up to his first Super Bowl.

And the third person people blame...    mostly on general principle and, well,  just because,  is Ryan Grigson!    He's also responsible for the stock market crash of 1929 and the kidnapping of the Lindberg baby.      

But if you want to blame Dungy,  you go right ahead....    have fun with that one!

you use words like blame 8ts not that deep for me. it’s sports entertainment. As a man attaching your success/failure to another mans ability is a weak characteristic.

Belichek is the bar whether yu like him or not he wins. Dungy is trash en comparison as far as a football mind and overall coach. Bill doesn’t make excuses. Yu win or yu lose, why doesnt matter.

Yu don’t win 3 straight SBs w a dungy bc the mindset doesn’t dictate ruthless consistency.

Everybody played at part en that sham y’all deem the peak of colts football. Peyton was a golden boy his fans don’t hold accountable, but you see across the nfl landscape media and other fan bases Peyton will never be the Goat bc time and time again he lost when it mattered most. Dungy and Caldwell might as be the same man and Polian isn’t w out fault his approach to facilitating talent left the colts hollow. 

Ballard is the best thing to EVER come to indianapolis.

His demeanor is Belichekian. if yu don’t produce or met the standard, you’re gone w no second thoughts. The rest of Colts nation will finally see what a team looks like. 

i’m ending this here bc i am my own man as all of yu should be and to highlight your opinion w the validation of another is weak.

‘Everybody here thinks this so the minority is off base’