Indianapolis Colts
ColtStrong2013

Colts putting together a Seattle-like defense

I have said that I thought this was where the Colts defense was heading since Ed Dodds came on and certain people on this forum jumped all over my back saying this was strictly a tampa 2... Well it might have been to keep thing simple for transition, but we are going to see serious changes in this defense going forward. 

• Like 7

If I recall correctly, Ballard was wanting to mimic the Seahawks defense

that went to back to back title games a few years back.

• Like 2

In Bowen's podcast, he said, in talking to the Colts, they have said yes, our defense is the Seattle defense.   Minor differences, maybe.  

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to be 'exactly' what Seattle runs - characterized as a 4-3 Under with Cover 3 - but a similar kind of defense. I think they are looking for a little more flexibility in being able to shift into man / press as needed. A lot of what gets implemented depends on the individual skill sets of our players, yet to be determined.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

It doesn't seem to be 'exactly' what Seattle runs - characterized as a 4-3 Under with Cover 3 - but a similar kind of defense. I think they are looking for a little more flexibility in being able to shift into man / press as needed. A lot of what gets implemented depends on the individual skill sets of our players, yet to be determined.

this, absolutely.  KC game would be glaring example.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, #12. said:

In Bowen's podcast, he said, in talking to the Colts, they have said yes, our defense is the Seattle defense.   Minor differences, maybe.  

where’s the podcast

They will run a mixture of Cover 1, 2,  and 3 defenses. Man and Zone

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

where’s the podcast

Youtube.  Every Monday or Tuesday, I think.  It's pretty good.

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

The challenge will be in the complexity of the new defensive scheme. With young teams, complexity can be a problem and should be avoided. This is why Ballard / Flus looks for smart players with good instincts. Complexity can win games when if done right.

4 minutes ago, #12. said:

Youtube.  Every Monday or Tuesday, I think.  It's pretty good.

im saying link it

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The challenge will be in the complexity of the new defensive scheme. With young teams, complexity can be a problem and should be avoided. This is why Ballard / Flus looks for smart players with good instincts. Complexity can win games when if done right.

They will still keep it simple. The scheme is designed for young players to come in and play immediately.  They are probably only playing about 3 coverages, most likely the ones that I listed with some different blitzes mixed in. We'll probably increase the amount of man coverage that we run since we have more CB and LB with speed and size, but it won't be more than the zone looks I think.  I think what we are bound to see this year is more designed packages that Flus is able to create to match up with people. Packages that we were not able to do last year because of a lack of high level athletes.  But it will still probably for the most part be those same 3 coverages. Cover 1, Cover2, and Cover 3.

• Like 2

Just now, MFT5 said:

im saying link it

No, you said "where's the podcast?"   So I told you.  

• Like 2

Dang you guys I was working on a post about us going to a cover 3. I knew we where going to switch to a cover 3 as soon as we A) switched to a 4-3 and B) as soon as we drafted Hooker. If you look at the player we drafted on the defense this year they are all players that will fit a cover 3 Banagu and Tell especially. The way Ballard has approached this transition is pretty brilliant. Starting zone heavy with tampa 2 and slowly working in cover 3. I dont think it happens this year but next year we will be havy coverr 3 mark my words..

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

im saying link it

and I think he was saying, google it.  Why he gotta do your homework for you? :P

• Like 5

Seattle did have 3 guys in the secondary that were 6 foot 3 or taller that were also big and smart physical players. If we can strive for that then it would be great.

Still need a safety like Kam Chancellor 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

As long as it is not Cover no one, I am fine with anything. :) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

25 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Seattle did have 3 guys in the secondary that were 6 foot 3 or taller that were also big and smart physical players. If we can strive for that then it would be great.

Abrams would have been that enforcer like Chancellor, just saying. :dunno:

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, chad72 said:

As long as it is not Cover no one, I am fine with anything. :) 

IIRC, last year i heard them reference a cover zero and i was like, that doesn't sound like a good defense.  hahahaha

Maybe it was the "no cover zone" i heard:

https://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/kevins-corner/colts-coverage/issues-pass-rush-zone-recognition-colts-defense

Eberflus acknowledges that his unit must do a better job of recognizing and breaking from their zones, into ‘no cover zone’ areas, from 0 to 5 yards.

Tackling is another area that Eberflus wants to see improve for a team playing so many zone looks.

“When you play zone you’re going to get a higher completion rate,” the first-year defensive coordinator says. “As we’ve said, once the rush gets going and the ball gets pumped out a little bit faster the zone players are able to set up and break a little bit faster. We just have to learn to trust the rush. We are working hard on that because that’s part of the system, being able to set up and being able to break in the no cover zone.

My reaction was the same though.  hahaha

7 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Ballard doesn't think Willis is too far off from Abrams. He thinks he was one of the last remaining elite safeties on the board according to the Colts standards.  My eyes usually see what Ballard sees but on this one I'm just keeping an open mind because I'm not totally in agreement.  I'm going to wait till the pads get on and I can see him live. I'll be happy to be proven wrong!

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ballard doesn't think Willis is too far off from Abrams. He thinks he was one of the last remaining elite safeties on the board according to the Colts standards.  My eyes usually see what Ballard sees but on this one I'm just keeping an open mind.  I'm going to wait till the pads get on and I can see him live.

measurables between willis and abrams are extremely close willlis weighs like 10 more bounds i believe

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

That’s true we haven’t seen him play a down  in the nfl yet. Not saying he can’t be like Kam yet :)

The concept and players are there to make that comparison.

Wagner-Leonard

Irvin-Banogu

Smith-Walker

Bennett-Sheard

Avril-Turay

Thomas-Hooker

unfortunately we are still missing key elements in the secondary. We do not have a corner that can take half the field away like Sherman. Perhaps Ya-sin can, but we'll have to wait and see on that. Geathers can be Kam, but Kam was much better at coverage and way more of a  fierce hitter. 

You're never going to run or have a carbon copy of a defense.  Seattle itself doesn't have the personnel to do what it did in 2013, and I'm no expert on their D, but I'm sure they have evolved some since then.  

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Wagner-Leonard

Irvin-Banogu

Smith-Walker

Bennett-Sheard

Avril-Turay

Thomas-Hooker

unfortunately we are still missing key elements in the secondary. We do not have a corner that can take half the field away like Sherman. Perhaps Ya-sin can, but we'll have to wait and see on that. Geathers can be Kam, but Kam was much better at coverage and way more of a  fierce hitter. 

I think they are banking on Desir, Ya-Sin, Wilson and Kenny Moore on being every bit as loaded at corner as those Seattle defenses were. 

Oh and btw, Sherman didn't always take half the field away. I recall a certain game in Indianapolis... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, #12. said:

You're never going to run or have a carbon copy of a defense.  Seattle itself doesn't have the personnel to do what it did in 2013, and I'm no expert on their D, but I'm sure they have evolved some since then.  

I agree. My original comment (as they transitioned from Pagano, brought in Ed Dodds, and after they drafted Hooker, Wilson, etc was that it looked like they would eventually be a cover 3 base defense similar to Seattle. Hooker is made to be primarily be a centerfielder. All of these corners are long and athletic like those Seattle defenses were. We are building a front 7 that is built on speed, much like those defenses were.

We will have our own style of defense. No two are exactly alike. We will have our wrinkles. And godforbid if/when Eberflus leaves for  a HC position, we will replace him with a like-minded coach that can work with the scheme he is inheriting. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Oh and btw, Sherman didn't always take half the field away. I recall a certain game in Indianapolis..

Damn, Pep Hamilton did beat that D, didn't he?  :)

Best game I remember him calling.  Where it went after that, I have no idea.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, runthepost said:

Tell really reminds me of a Seattle corner.   Even though he played S in college, he's long and very fluid and our coaching staff is going to start him out there.

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Wagner-Leonard

Irvin-Banogu

Smith-Walker

Bennett-Sheard

Avril-Turay

Thomas-Hooker

There were a few games last year where Desir did a very good job shutting down top notch WRs (DeAndre Hopkins comes to mind).  I have a feeling these coaches are hoping Desir can be that guy for us....maybe Q. Wilson, he really started to come along last year and he's only 21 (maybe 22), so even though this is his 3rd year, he's still the youngest guy on the team and should hopefully keep improving.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think they are banking on Desir, Ya-Sin, Wilson and Kenny Moore on being every bit as loaded at corner as those Seattle defenses were. 

Oh and btw, Sherman didn't always take half the field away. I recall a certain game in Indianapolis... :)

The coaches should have the young guys call TY 'light' in practice a few times to get humbled and maybe learn a few lessons. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000258491/article/ty-hilton-seattle-seahawks-insults-fired-me-up

7 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I have said that I thought this was where the Colts defense was heading since Ed Dodds came on and certain people on this forum jumped all over my back saying this was strictly a tampa 2... Well it might have been to keep thing simple for transition, but we are going to see serious changes in this defense going forward. 

After the Hooker pick Ballard's intentions were clear. And as you say, there are Colts banging away relentlessly that we are a Cover 2 and don't need special corners. Siliness.
Interesting that Quincy is down to 193 from 214.

• Like 1

I can definitely dig it honestly. I'll never call a pro player soft or anything like that, but in our golden years we had guys like Brock and Brackett who are in no way the type of guys we're drafting now.

Every player drafted now regardless of round seems to be a more physical type player measurables wise. Moreso it seems then in years past. Even though the media loved saying we were a fast physical defense, we really weren't minus our HOF DE's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

After the Hooker pick Ballard's intentions were clear. And as you say, there are Colts banging away relentlessly that we are a Cover 2 and don't need special corners.

hooker would be an ideal fit for a cover 3.  he would fit in any scheme tbh 

On the outside, I'm calm, cool and collected.

On the inside, I'm more or less   :yahoo:    :rock:   :headspin:        :banana:      :jump:     !!!

• Haha 4

Some back & forth has been cleaned up up in this thread...

Lets keep things on the up & up Colts fans!!!

• Thanks 4

15 hours ago, #12. said:

Damn, Pep Hamilton did beat that D, didn't he?  :)

Best game I remember him calling.  Where it went after that, I have no idea.

Pep flashed some brilliance but mostly babbled us with nonsense. Consistency is everything for offenses. Pep was not.

Well.  I know cover 2 pretty well so if what all of you are saying is true,    I better get to studying cover 3

Any quick insights would be appreciated.   

I thought Seattle morphed more into a Single High safety (Cover 1) while combining Zone and Man to Man underneath, which would morph into Cover 1, 2, 3, or 4 depending on down/distance.

Our biggest defensive weakness was a lack of having multiple DB looks, being able to switch it up really is vital. And having a healthy Hooker

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, throwing BBZ said:

After the Hooker pick Ballard's intentions were clear. And as you say, there are Colts banging away relentlessly that we are a Cover 2 and don't need special corners. Siliness.
Interesting that Quincy is down to 193 from 214.

I guess that as of now, the 'base' defense is still a 4-3 and a 2 deep shell.  Issue is, over time, the league has turned pass happy, often some teams with 65% throws to 35% run.  Thus sub packages with more DB's rule the day (Nickel, Dime) in all schemes.  Sometimes zone, possibly some press, and some bail technique in cover 3 (or possibly quarters).  Teams aren't '1 formation scheme' anymore.  I haven't heard the term used much recently, but 'hybrid' was a term thrown around during these transitions.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, IinD said:

I can definitely dig it honestly. I'll never call a pro player soft or anything like that, but in our golden years we had guys like Brock and Brackett who are in no way the type of guys we're drafting now.

Interesting note, Brock was drafted round 7 by the Eagles, and they cut him before signing him. Polian claimed him off waivers and he had an 8 year career (6 as starter) with Colts.  Bracket was a UDFA, and also had a good 8 years, 5 as starter MLB with Colts.

On 5/16/2019 at 6:02 PM, IinD said:

Every player drafted now regardless of round seems to be a more physical type player measurables wise. Moreso it seems then in years past. Even though the media loved saying we were a fast physical defense, we really weren't minus our HOF DE's. 

When Colts were always drafting late in the rounds every year, the Big and Fast players were essentially gone.  So it was big and slow, or smaller but fast.  Polian / Dungy always went with the latter.  But they would have liked to get those that were both Big and Fast if they could.