Sign in to follow this  
NewColtsFan

Ballard Evaluates the Colts' top 6 draft picks....

Good stuff.  Did anyone see the article on cbssports about each teams possible  fatal flaw?

For most teams it was something like QB, Oline, coaching, etc.  

For the Colts it was “expectations”.  That’s pretty impressive that they really couldn’t find a spot.  

• Like 4

I found Ballard’s take on Campbell returning punts interesting. He mentions that he had returned punts early in his time at OSU but I can’t find a record of a punt return. Either way I am excited to see this kid give it a go.  He has the tools to be explosive back there I hope he takes to a big time threat in the return game would be awesome 

49 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Good stuff.  Did anyone see the article on cbssports about each teams possible  fatal flaw?

For the Colts it was “expectations”.  That’s pretty impressive that they really couldn’t find a spot.  

We are a young team, so it makes sense that expectations may become an issue.

The three things that cause me to put little worry into this are: (1) I think Reich is a terrific leader, a calm leader, and he seems to really have this team bought into his system, (2) we have good veteran leaders on this team from Vinatieri to Luck, etc., and (3) it truly seems like the young guys that had success last year are mature beyond their years -- Nelson called every draft pick right after the draft to let them know what to expect when becoming a Colt, Leonard is definitely a terrific leader - moreso than a lot of 2nd year players -- and they are all hungry, so I don't think they'll let expectations get to their heads.

This is from the article @NewColtsFan posted, but I like what Ballard says:

On if Ballard believes a roster can be too young: “No. That’s a good point. I think we’ve got a good mix of vet players on the team. I think on defense our back end’s young, but (Clayton) Geathers is a vet — been here a long time; he’s played a lot of football. You look up front: Justin (Houston), (Jabaal) Sheard, (Margus) Hunt, (Denico) Autry are all vet players, and they all do things the right way. So the rest of the defense is really young — (Pierre) Desir’s played a lot of football. And then offensively with Andrew (Luck) and (Anthony) Castonzo and T.Y. (Hilton) and Jack Doyle and (Eric) Ebron — I mean, we’ve got enough vets on the team (that) I think helps balance it out..."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Well....     I don't know if this is the same as "expectations" or if this is just a close cousin....

But I'd say this....

Last year we were the hunters.   Starting 1-5,  few teams were taking us seriously until the end.  We spent the season going after everyone else.

This year,  we will be the hunted.    We will get the best from most every team.   Our game will be circled on the calendar of a good number of our opponents.   A number of opponents will want us to duplicate what we did last year,  or better.     Totally different mind set for both the Colts and our opponents.   And since our schedule is even tougher this year,  it should make for some really compelling games....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This has been hiding in plain sight since this afternoon...   it's about 8 hours old when I'm now posting it.    Apparently, no one actually looks at the front of the website very much?    Also, it's now a quiet time and there isn't much traffic here...

Enjoy!          :thmup:

https://www.colts.com/news/step-inside-the-colts-draft-room-with-chris-ballard

Here's an addendum to the article, Kevin Bowen and Joey Molinaro(sp?), giving their take on Ballard discussing the draft picks.  It's a little over an hour long, for those that want to listen.

• Like 1

Oh, I knew Day 1. … You just have to patient to get it built up. And ‘Flus (Matt Eberflus), ‘Flus and the defensive staff did a freaking incredible job of coaching and buying into young players and playing them. In this scheme, with the effort that you have to play with in this scheme, I mean, it’s hard to bring free agents in and buy into it. And there’s an accountability to it in that room where if you’re loafing or you’re not running to the football, he’s just not gonna play you. I mean, if you don’t buy in to the scheme and to the effort that it takes to play this scheme, then you’re just not gonna be here at the end of the day.”

This really explains the philosophy on defense and why not every FA gets a look/chance with the Colts.

• Like 1

Something interesting early in the interview was that Ballard had 5 of his guys left at 26, and 3 left at 34. Obviously Rock was one of them. I'm curious which two guys went between 26 and 34 that were Ballard guys. Was Tillery one of them? Rock would of been in play at 26 as well if we didn't trade down, so extra nice to get him at 34 and the 2020 2nd rounder.

36 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Something interesting early in the interview was that Ballard had 5 of his guys left at 26, and 3 left at 34. Obviously Rock was one of them. I'm curious which two guys went between 26 and 34 that were Ballard guys. Was Tillery one of them? Rock would of been in play at 26 as well if we didn't trade down, so extra nice to get him at 34 and the 2020 2nd rounder.

Would be cool to know...but it's anyone's guess. Do we know that Sweat was off the board...could have been him. Could have been Tillery. There were two top CBs picked in that range...and they ultimately drafted one with their first pick...so it stands to reason that one of those two would be in their 8. McGary was heavily tied to the Colts pre-draft...as was Abram. Harry was a WR1 prospect type that would have fit Reich's scheme very well.

Collier and (maybe) Baker seem like the two that are least likely to be in that 8...but who knows.

As for the 3 remaining at the Rock pick, I wouldn't be surprised if both were OL players...given the OT run that happened after.

• Like 1

Ballard says in the article he was somewhat thinking of Mike Brown. That was one of the names that I mentioned when it came to the Willis pick. My gut told me he thought Willis had some similarity to Mike Brown.

• Like 1

I thought him saying Turay and Banogu are very similar in some ways. If Banogu in year 1 can give us rush wise what Turay gave us or maybe a little more I will take that.  I thought Turay was pretty fast coming off the ball and getting into the backfield.

• Like 2

Kevin Bowen did a podcast talking about this. It was very interesting. How refreshing to have a GM so open. I think he just loves to talk football and will do it whenever he gets a chance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kevin Bowen did a podcast talking about this. It was very interesting. How refreshing to have a GM so open. I think he just loves to talk football and will do it whenever he gets a chance.

That and by being totally transparent he humbles himself by letting the mefia hold him accountable for any misses - aka Banner and Basham.

I love a transparent and humble leader.

Great read!!  This guy knows football and all the intangibles that make complete players.  I don't read about other GMs or their interviews, but I doubt there are more than a handful that know as much about the game as Ballard.  Lots of GMs are so involved in the business and money part of it and that's the teams that don't draft well and are forced to spend money on free agents to cover up bad drafts.

What Ballard has done since he arrived is just amazing.  

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This has been hiding in plain sight since this afternoon...   it's about 8 hours old when I'm now posting it.    Apparently, no one actually looks at the front of the website very much?    Also, it's now a quiet time and there isn't much traffic here...

Yeah, this was a great read. It might just be the biggest in depth look into what Ballard's looking for, especially the Q and A at the end after he's talked about the specific drafted players.

His talk about football intelligence, even along with character, was pretty eye opening. How smart players face adversity well, problem solve well, etc. I think Khari Willis is a big example of it from this draft. Of course, he likes him as a player, but the way he talked about his character/intelligence it really seems like that played a huge part in trading up for him. And of course his talk about Okereke and Walker's intelligence. Which already made sense to have smart guys at MLB, but it's apparent Ballard wants smart football players.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This year,  we will be the hunted.    We will get the best from most every team.

I've heard this a number of times, and it sounds good, but it also sounds like something talking heads say just because it sounds good.

Doesn't every team get their opponents' best every week?  I doubt a coach ever tells their players "Ok guys, we're playing the 0-8 Browns this week, so let's take it easy.  We've got the 6-2 Pats next week and need to give that game our best."  I have a feeling that Belichick prepared his team as well for the 1-3 Colts last year as he did for the 5-0 Chiefs the following week, and that they had the same "mindset" in every game every week.

To break it down even more, isn't every player supposed to give their best on every play, even in practice on a Wednesday?

He said he wanted to improve our depth at safety.

Group looks pretty good.  Hooker, Geathers, Willis, Odum, and Farley.

18 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I've heard this a number of times, and it sounds good, but it also sounds like something talking heads say just because it sounds good.

Doesn't every team get their opponents' best every week?  I doubt a coach ever tells their players "Ok guys, we're playing the 0-8 Browns this week, so let's take it easy.  We've got the 6-2 Pats next week and need to give that game our best."  I have a feeling that Belichick prepared his team as well for the 1-3 Colts last year as he did for the 5-0 Chiefs the following week, and that they had the same "mindset" in every game every week.

To break it down even more, isn't every player supposed to give their best on every play, even in practice on a Wednesday?

Respectfully,   No...

teams may be coached up to give their best all 16 games...   but being human, players don’t always do that.    If players gave 100 percent every play every game,  there would almost never be an upset and those happen all the time in the NFL.    It’s human nature to look ahead to see where you might get a break in the schedule against an easy opponent.

As for practice...   that’s also a no.   Players are not always coached to go all out every play.   That’s why so many Ballard and Flus make such a big deal about it.   Because we’re different.  That’s why we’re not a good fit for every big name free agent.   It’s, on part, whybourvdraft biard is so small compared to other teams.   Most players don’t want to go all out in practice.   They want to save it for games.  

What Ballard and his staff are doing is the exception, not the rule.   It’s not for everyone.  

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

36 minutes ago, krunk said:

Don’t forget kindred.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cynjin said:

Here's an addendum to the article, Kevin Bowen and Joey Molinaro(sp?), giving their take on Ballard discussing the draft picks.  It's a little over an hour long, for those that want to listen.

Listened to it and it was great! (KB &JM really do a job discussing the Colts). 

Bowen is probably my favorite Colt’s local writer.

• Like 2

Just like everyone else, I love that Ballard & the Colts are sharing their insights with the fans.  

In addition to what has been mentioned above, I really liked the following comments/information:

- Rock Ya-Sin - I liked the pick was a little concerned with 3-cone and short shuttle at the combine.  Ballard confirmed his times were much better at his pro day.  I looked at his pro day times and he had a huge improvement.

- Banogu - continued to rave about his senior bowl and his athleticism.  Also pointed out he needs to improved with his hand usage.  Interesting that Ballard talked about how they had to take into account that he was playing 90-95 snaps per game at TCU.

- Campbell - reading between the lines it sounds like they had him much higher rated than the 59th pick.  Mentioned that they thought he could go late 1st rd.  Also Colts wanted to add size at WR (Funchess).  Wanted to add speed as well, but not as much of a priority.

- Willis - Ballard "I didn’t see much difference between Willis and even the higher safeties — (Johnathan) Abram;"

Great Stuff. 

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I thought him saying Turay and Banogu are very similar in some ways. If Banogu in year 1 can give us rush wise what Turay gave us or maybe a little more I will take that.  I thought Turay was pretty fast coming off the ball and getting into the backfield.

I hope Turray has bulked up some to stay on the field when teams run the ball.

I also agree with Ballard on tempering expectations right out of the gate for guys like Ya-Sin and Banogu. At least compared to sky high expectations that some have for them. Especially Ya-Sin. Like Ballard said, it can be really tough for rookie CB's to adjust to the NFL. And with Banogu, he's going to have to work on technique and hand-fighting to be effective on those 3rd downs they've talked about. I thought it was telling how Ballard said they'll have to see how he develops/see how it works out there.

And even Campbell to some degree, at least in terms of being an outside guy. I do think Reich and Sirianni can use him effectively, but it'll be interesting to see how much he plays outside if at all.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I am not totally sure why Turay's play seemed to decrease during the season.  I don't know if that was due to Lewis coming back, if Turay was dinged up some, or if that was part of the master plan to keep Turay healthy during his first 16 game season.  But yes, 4 sacks from a rookie who was expected to be a developmental player is pretty good... I expect with the addition of Houston and more talent in the backfield Turay will improve this year as a rusher.  Also seems like he's putting in a lot of time this offseason.

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I hope Turray has bulked up some to stay on the field when teams run the ball.

https://twitter.com/kturay_58?lang=en

That link is to Turay's twitter.... if you scroll down a few tweets, he's got some workout videos... he looks jacked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CurBeatElite said:

I am not totally sure why Turay's play seemed to decrease during the season.  I don't know if that was due to Lewis coming back, if Turay was dinged up some, or if that was part of the master plan to keep Turay healthy during his first 16 game season.  But yes, 4 sacks from a rookie who was expected to be a developmental player is pretty good... I expect with the addition of Houston and more talent in the backfield Turay will improve this year as a rusher.  Also seems like he's putting in a lot of time this offseason.

https://twitter.com/kturay_58?lang=en

That link is to Turay's twitter.... if you scroll down a few tweets, he's got some workout videos... he looks jacked.

Turay did get dinged up, and Muhammed gave him a run for his money.

A very enjoyable read, and it makes a mockery out of mocks as it makes clear mockers just don't KNOW what they need to to make a truly worthy judgement. So glad we didn't get Abrams.