Jump to content
PrincetonTiger

Adam Gase-new GM In NY

Recommended Posts

Whoa!  And the two of them tried to act like there wasnt any rift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why after the draft and FA? Doesnt make any sense to me

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

why after the draft and FA? Doesnt make any sense to me

 

It makes perfect sense. It’s the Jets. And the Jets do Jets things. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

why after the draft and FA? Doesnt make any sense to me

 

There will be a draft and FA next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

why after the draft and FA? Doesnt make any sense to me

 

Because you don’t want to reorganize months of work just before the draft.

 

This is often the time of year when teams make their front office and scouting changes.   Not just the Jets but all teams.

 

When we hired Ballard in January of 2017, he reorganized and let some staff go in May.   This is often the time when it’s done. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Because you don’t want to reorganize months of work just before the draft.

 

This is often the time of year when teams make their front office and scouting changes.   Not just the Jets but all teams.

 

When we hired Ballard in January of 2017, he reorganized and let some staff go in May.   This is often the time when it’s done. 

 

This is arguably a better time to rework your front office, including at GM. All the heavy lifting for the 2019 team is done. You can take your time interviewing candidates, it's easier to accommodate interviews since there's less going on, you don't have to worry about assembling a coaching staff before the Combine, etc., etc. 

 

In the Jets case, they just guaranteed nearly $140m in free agency. That seems like a strange approach if you're thinking about replacing the GM, but it's not my money...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I understand the front office/scouting cycle is different than the team/roster cycle. The team cycle ends with the season's end either at the end of week 17 or when the team is eliminated from the playoffs(or wins SB)... while the front office/scouting cycle ends after the draft and thus this is about as good of a time to change GM(and hopefully his staff) as any. 

 

It's still weird to me to have a new GM saddled with a coach hired either by the previous GM or without the new GM's input. I think this is a bad practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Gase did not want Bell. This entire thing is crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stitches said:

From what I understand the front office/scouting cycle is different than the team/roster cycle. The team cycle ends with the season's end either at the end of week 17 or when the team is eliminated from the playoffs(or wins SB)... while the front office/scouting cycle ends after the draft and thus this is about as good of a time to change GM(and hopefully his staff) as any. 

 

It's still weird to me to have a new GM saddled with a coach hired either by the previous GM or without the new GM's input. I think this is a bad practice. 

Gase will have a say on when and if they hire a new one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course....Gase.  What did they expect when they hired this guy?

 

I hope they hire Grigson.  It would be fun to watch those two together.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Jets | Daniel Jeremiah to Jets?    Wed May 15, 01:12 PM

NFL Network draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah is under serious consideration for a front-office position with the New York Jets, according to sources.

Link to story

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stitches said:

From what I understand the front office/scouting cycle is different than the team/roster cycle. The team cycle ends with the season's end either at the end of week 17 or when the team is eliminated from the playoffs(or wins SB)... while the front office/scouting cycle ends after the draft and thus this is about as good of a time to change GM(and hopefully his staff) as any. 

 

It's still weird to me to have a new GM saddled with a coach hired either by the previous GM or without the new GM's input. I think this is a bad practice. 

 

I know they might change the people under the GM at that time but usually I thought they changed GM's around the same time as they changed coaches.  

 

I understand what you are saying and it makes some sense.  But at the same time you just had a GM spend a bunch of money and conduct a draft without having the chance to be judged based on that work.  

 

My guess honestly is that it probably has more to do with the GM/Coach relationship.  It wasn't working and ownership picked their coach over the GM.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I know they might change the people under the GM at that time but usually I thought they changed GM's around the same time as they changed coaches.  

 

I understand what you are saying and it makes some sense.  But at the same time you just had a GM spend a bunch of money and conduct a draft without having the chance to be judged based on that work.  

 

My guess honestly is that it probably has more to do with the GM/Coach relationship.  It wasn't working and ownership picked their coach over the GM.  

He was judged Gase and the higher ups did not approve of certain players he signed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does Gase have this type of power? I didn't really want Bell...but it's absurd to even say this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

How does Gase have this type of power? I didn't really want Bell...but it's absurd to even say this. 

Did you not get the memo that Gase is going on the Coaching Mount Rushmore will Bellicheck, Ditka, Landry and Lombardi

 

coffee lol GIF

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Because you don’t want to reorganize months of work just before the draft.

 

This is often the time of year when teams make their front office and scouting changes.   Not just the Jets but all teams.

 

When we hired Ballard in January of 2017, he reorganized and let some staff go in May.   This is often the time when it’s done. 

 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

 

This is arguably a better time to rework your front office, including at GM. All the heavy lifting for the 2019 team is done. You can take your time interviewing candidates, it's easier to accommodate interviews since there's less going on, you don't have to worry about assembling a coaching staff before the Combine, etc., etc. 

 

In the Jets case, they just guaranteed nearly $140m in free agency. That seems like a strange approach if you're thinking about replacing the GM, but it's not my money...

I get all that, but if your not happy with the guy why let him keep the keys to your lambo for the most important parts of the offseason. Its coming out now that Gase doesn't want Bell....well to late haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

 

I get all that, but if your not happy with the guy why let him keep the keys to your lambo for the most important parts of the offseason. Its coming out now that Gase doesn't want Bell....well to late haha

 

You're operating under the assumption that they were unhappy with him earlier in the offseason. 

 

There's one report that says Gase didn't want Bell. Might be true, but it comes from a reporter who has been known to sensationalize, at times. Especially about the Jets. 

 

There's another report that suggests that there was a problem between Maccagnan and Heimerdinger. And then the owner is saying he's been considering this and finally decided within the last few days.

 

End of the day, my angle is the decision to change GMs isn't just about one offseason. It's about the direction of the franchise in general, and there is no rigid timeframe for that kind of decision. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

 

I get all that, but if your not happy with the guy why let him keep the keys to your lambo for the most important parts of the offseason. Its coming out now that Gase doesn't want Bell....well to late haha

My understanding is...    it’s not that Gase didn’t want Bell.   But that he didn’t want Bell at the price and terms the Jets paid.

 

Either way... to fire the GM 5-6 weeks before the draft us just not done.   Remember,  John Dorsey got fired around thus time a few years ago.   If you have to cut your losses,  this is when it’s done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I know they might change the people under the GM at that time but usually I thought they changed GM's around the same time as they changed coaches.  

 

I understand what you are saying and it makes some sense.  But at the same time you just had a GM spend a bunch of money and conduct a draft without having the chance to be judged based on that work.  

 

My guess honestly is that it probably has more to do with the GM/Coach relationship.  It wasn't working and ownership picked their coach over the GM.  

 

Yes....   in a perfect world you’d fire the GM in January.    That’s easily the best and most desirable time.

 

But....

 

If a problem surfaces around March (free agency) or (April) and there’s no other way to fix it, then making a change in May/June is the next best time.   It may not be great timing, but after January/February it’s viewed as the next best opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

why after the draft and FA? Doesnt make any sense to me

 

It's complicated...

 

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Because you don’t want to reorganize months of work just before the draft.

 

 

Yep, that's part of it...

 

14 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I know they might change the people under the GM at that time but usually I thought they changed GM's around the same time as they changed coaches.  

 

Adam will get to hand pick his GM now...

 

14 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

I understand what you are saying and it makes some sense.  But at the same time you just had a GM spend a bunch of money and conduct a draft without having the chance to be judged based on that work.  

 

There are reports that how FA and the draft was handled was a significant factor in the events that have followed.

 

14 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

My guess honestly is that it probably has more to do with the GM/Coach relationship.  It wasn't working and ownership picked their coach over the GM.  

 

The Jets owner say no, but I agree that it is a yes. Then Gase immediately trades a former round 1 pick (Darron Lee) for peanuts (maybe because Maccagnan had brought in Mosley?)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Because you don’t want to reorganize months of work just before the draft.

 

This is often the time of year when teams make their front office and scouting changes.   Not just the Jets but all teams.

 

When we hired Ballard in January of 2017, he reorganized and let some staff go in May.   This is often the time when it’s done. 

BINGO!  Same way Ballard gets a semi-bye from me on his first draft here....  it was before he hired any of his own front office personnel....  he had all of Grigson's  staff still in place, and outside of Ballard's own work, had that staff's research to go on.... and didnm't know the coach he was building a roster for past a year...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 5:14 PM, PrincetonTiger said:

Did you not get the memo that Gase is going on the Coaching Mount Rushmore will Bellicheck, Ditka, Landry and Lombardi

 

coffee lol GIF

 

I spit out my drink when you included mike ditka on your mt rushmore 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

 

I spit out my drink when you included mike ditka on your mt rushmore 

He meant Walsh not Ditka robert downey jr ok GIF. Lombardi, Belichick, Landry, and Walsh is what I would have, tough leaving Shula off though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the link handy at the moment but right after this news came out, there was a report that Gase didn't want Bell nor Mosely at the prices they were asking.  

 

So...Bell and Mosely are now playing with huge contracts for a team whose HC doesn't think they're worth the money they're making.  Should be a great start to their coach/player relationships. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, BOTT said:

 

I spit out my drink when you included mike ditka on your mt rushmore 

 

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He meant Walsh not Ditka robert downey jr ok GIF. Lombardi, Belichick, Landry, and Walsh is what I would have, tough leaving Shula off though

I put Ditka on the list since In NO he had the power of a GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth.... here's a Jets beat reporter's account. I'm assuming he has fairly credible sources given the relationship details he shares.

 

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-sports-jets-behind-scenes-adam-gase-mike-maccagnan-20190517-wnaoganfijefdi452rtuxb4tsa-story.html

 

Two things are certain.....

 

1. If Adam Gase was already under a microscope by mere virtue of being the Jets new head coach.... he's just engineered the "NY media scrutiny" equivalent of having the Hubble telescope used for a colonoscopy.

 

2. New England fans are popping hernias laughing at it all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading that Peyton Manning is the Jet's target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gase is a failed HC who somehow "failed up". However, he's right, the Jets over apid for both Bell and Mosley. In reality it's contracts like those that gets teams killed in a couple years. Now the rumor is that Bell is on the market and that teams might be willing to jump since the Jets already paid 12 million of his contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...