Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Ballard on 2019 Draft Class - Article

DaveA1102

I love that Ballard does this, gives a real perspective on what the scouts were thinking on each drafted prospect:

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/05/14/inside-indianapolis-colts-draft-room-gm-chris-ballard/1164796001/

Little nuggets like this on Campbell:

While Campbell flaunted his talents at rookie minicamp last week – that speed, those hands, one smooth, effortless route after another – the biggest hurdle he’ll have to clear in the pros, Ballard said, is learning to play on the outside. Campbell played almost exclusively in the slot as a Buckeye. Reich and offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni will certainly use him there, but the scheme, heavy on multiple formations, will require him to work near the sideline as well.

“The question with Parris: How long will it take him to really learn how to play outside?” Ballard said. “He just hasn’t done it. That’s gotta be an adjustment. How long did it take Reggie Wayne? And I’m not calling him Reggie Wayne, but Year 3? Maybe it happens Day 1, maybe it’s Year 3, you don’t know.”

• Like 4

8 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

I love that Ballard does this, gives a real perspective on what the scouts were thinking on each drafted prospect:

https://eu.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/05/14/inside-indianapolis-colts-draft-room-gm-chris-ballard/1164796001/

Little nuggets like this on Campbell:

While Campbell flaunted his talents at rookie minicamp last week – that speed, those hands, one smooth, effortless route after another – the biggest hurdle he’ll have to clear in the pros, Ballard said, is learning to play on the outside. Campbell played almost exclusively in the slot as a Buckeye. Reich and offensive coordinator Nick Sirianni will certainly use him there, but the scheme, heavy on multiple formations, will require him to work near the sideline as well.

“The question with Parris: How long will it take him to really learn how to play outside?” Ballard said. “He just hasn’t done it. That’s gotta be an adjustment. How long did it take Reggie Wayne? And I’m not calling him Reggie Wayne, but Year 3? Maybe it happens Day 1, maybe it’s Year 3, you don’t know.”

The nice thing with Campbell, like it was with Reggie, is he has a very good mentor to learn from.  Ideally, we'll see Campbell develop closer to day 1 than year 3... but  if it takes him a little while to turn from a freak athlete to a top notch WR, we'll likely be OK.

• Like 1