Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stitches draft grades and thoughts on the Colts draft

stitches

3 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Ill be honest, I dont know enough about Willis to speculate, but I am a huge Farley fan.  He makes an impact when he is in there.  He makes crucial, winning plays.  I have liked him more than Geathers for awhile now, a lot to do with availability, but talent wise I think he is right there with him too.  I think Farley has a better football IQ for sure.

People don’t give Mathias the credit he deserves he is a HELL of a football player and I honestly thought he was more deserving of the start over Geathers. But IMO he will most definitely make this team on the final 53 next season.

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Who knows, but the guy has yet to take a practice rep.  The truth is if he wins the job in camp, he'll start over both Geathers and Farley.  Geathers on a one year deal with his injury history and Farley as a career depth player are hardly entrenched players.  It's not like Willis has to beat out TY.  

Ballard signing Geathers to a one year deal then drafting and showing all signs of being extremely high Willis says to me he probably wants and expects Willis to play sooner rather than later.  We'll see what happens.

You’re banking in a 4th round draftee beating out Two veterans who the front office are very high on. I just don’t see it happening. Geathers was brought back on a one year deal, yes I do believe that he is a stop gap for this season unless he performs at a high level and stays healthy then he may be brought back. Willis doesn’t even know the playbook like these guys do.

He hasn’t had the transitional period from college to the pros, the game is played at a MUCH faster pace in the pros. I just personally think it’s a long shot for him to start unless barring injuries. Not to mention Eberflus stating he wanted to expand and become more exotic defensively. You don’t throw that kind of stuff at a first year rookie, He has to learn the basics of the defense first.  Willis will play on a situational basis in certain packages he will have to make his impact there, He won’t be starting IMO. 

• Like 1

With Willis, even though I'm not a big fan of the trade and the pick, I honestly think Ballard sees a big part of his upside being his mindset/character/leadership/locker room presence.

Of course he likes his talent on the field otherwise he wouldn't have taken him, but I really do think a huge reason we took him was because of his leadership on/off the field. I don't think he'll ever be one of the more talented guys on defense but he could end up being a really important part of it.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was one that thought 3/18 was crazy for Geathers and thought what he got was about right. I still don't think Willis will be ready to take over Geathers' spot in year 1 if Geathers stays healthy. 

I'm not beating the drum for Willis.  I'm just giving my take on the situation.  

This seems to be the common perception of Colts fans:  we missed out on all the safeties we talked about for two months, so we grabbed Willis in the 4th for depth.

From Ballard, that's not at all how I read it.  This is who he wanted.  This is someone he targeted and wanted.  He speaks about Willis in one way, Tell, Green, etc., in a completely different way.  

As I said, we'll see.  The guy has yet to take a practice rep.  You might be spot on.  

• Like 1

Great write-up...and it's right where I am at. I would have taken Sweat...but if he was off the board...then it doesn't matter. So given that, I liked the trade back.

Ya-Sin was a solid pick I think. I wasn't crazy about the CB group overall...but the Colts got one of the best ones.

Not really sure about Banogu. I think he will have a role...but he looks like an OLB...not a DE...so his role will be interesting. Really wanted Adderley there. He was my favorite S in the draft...and would have been a fantastic chess piece for Eberflus. Thornhill would have been a fantastic pick as well. We have seen the immediate impact Ss have made in recent seasons...this was the sweet spot for them IMO...and the Colts passed.

Love Campbell. If not a S...I wanted the double-dip at WR in the 2nd round. That was not going to happen...but I am just glad they got one in that range. 

Really like Okereke as well. I felt like LB was a big need...and as someone who is a bit lower on Walker than most...I am really glad they brought in a guy that can cover.

I don't see it with Willis either...and if we are grading trades...I didn't like giving up that other late 4th rounder. A handful of guys went in that range that I would have liked to take a flyer on. Ultimately, I think he is a limited player...and doesn't fit the same profile as the other players taken. 

Love Tell. That took the sting off from passing on Adderley and Thornhill, as they all have similar profiles. The CB transition is interesting...but I think he ends up at S...where he can excel.

Speed and Green seems like upside picks...who are as likely to not be on the roster in a couple of years as they are to be big-time contributors. Lots of players available in that range that I would have preferred...but obviously adding to the LB and Edge was a goal of this draft. So we will see what happens.

Late-round OL depth picks are what they are. Some work out...most don't. But it's the late rounds.

Overall Grade - B 

• Like 1

Props to you @stitches, you really do your homework and seem to have a passion for this.

I'll agree that the Willis pick was the first pick that made me scratch my head because I was not familiar with him. However, after reading how many pundits were high on him and doing some more research, I like the pick. I watched this guy cover Purdue's Rondale Moore in the slot pretty much 1 on 1 all game and hold him to one of his least effective games all season. That's impressive.

I view anything after the 4th round as a coinflip anyways so I'm not overly upset with Speed, Green, Barton and Patterson. I actually don't expect Green and Barton to make the final 53 and perhaps Patterson won't either.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Great write-up...and it's right where I am at. I would have taken Sweat...but if he was off the board...then it doesn't matter. So given that, I liked the trade back.

Ya-Sin was a solid pick I think. I wasn't crazy about the CB group overall...but the Colts got one of the best ones.

Not really sure about Banogu. I think he will have a role...but he looks like an OLB...not a DE...so his role will be interesting. Really wanted Adderley there. He was my favorite S in the draft...and would have been a fantastic chess piece for Eberflus. Thornhill would have been a fantastic pick as well. We have seen the immediate impact Ss have made in recent seasons...this was the sweet spot for them IMO...and the Colts passed.

Love Campbell. If not a S...I wanted the double-dip at WR in the 2nd round. That was not going to happen...but I am just glad they got one in that range. 

Really like Okereke as well. I felt like LB was a big need...and as someone who is a bit lower on Walker than most...I am really glad they brought in a guy that can cover.

I don't see it with Willis either...and if we are grading trades...I didn't like giving up that other late 4th rounder. A handful of guys went in that range that I would have liked to take a flyer on. Ultimately, I think he is a limited player...and doesn't fit the same profile as the other players taken. 

Love Tell. That took the sting off from passing on Adderley and Thornhill, as they all have similar profiles. The CB transition is interesting...but I think he ends up at S...where he can excel.

Speed and Green seems like upside picks...who are as likely to not be on the roster in a couple of years as they are to be big-time contributors. Lots of players available in that range that I would have preferred...but obviously adding to the LB and Edge was a goal of this draft. So we will see what happens.

Late-round OL depth picks are what they are. Some work out...most don't. But it's the late rounds.

Overall Grade - B 

Curious if all of you guys saw the video of Montez Sweat getting drafter????  Thoughts????  I liked trading back, and I really liked it after I came across that.

This guy's commentary is pretty good too if this is the same video....

30 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

Curious if all of you guys saw the video of Montez Sweat getting drafter????  Thoughts????  I liked trading back, and I really liked it after I came across that.

Good commentary? That dude sounds like a homophobic *. 

I didn't see that post-pick video cause I was standing near the stage at the time...but even if this is true...it doesn't matter to me.

You think this is why teams took him off their boards? Is "you can't yell at him" supposed to code for something? 

That sounds a bit far-fetched...but I will say this...lots of strange things surrounding Sweat leading up to the draft.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

My thoughts? It's 2019, who cares.

The commentary was not good, it was disrespectful.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BlueCrew48 said:

If this is the reason we passed on Sweat my confidence in Ballard will take a non-insignificant nose dive. IF this is the reason, it's a stupid reason to knock a player and has nothing to do with his play or his potential as an NFL player. 

I don't know how you can say this commentary is "pretty good". This is atrocious way to view someone else's private business. I have no idea if he's gay or not, I have no idea if he was trying to hide it or not or if this was just a weird reaction of a friend or relative in an emotional moment... it doesn't really matter. And IF it is the case that he's gay and hiding it - the very fact that a player might want to choose to hide himself and not being able to share the biggest moment of his life uninterrupted and uninhibited or risk comments like those or his stock plummeting is a very sad commentary on the state of the league and not insignificant part of its fans.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

If this is the reason we passed on Sweat my confidence in Ballard will take a non-insignificant nose dive. IF this is the reason, it's a stupid reason to knock a player and has nothing to do with his play or his potential as an NFL player. 

I don't know how you can say this commentary is "pretty good". This is atrocious way to view someone else's private business. I have no idea if he's gay or not, I have no idea if he was trying to hide it or not or if this was just a weird reaction of a friend or relative in an emotional moment... it doesn't really matter. And IF it is the case that he's gay and hiding it - the very fact that a player might want to choose to hide himself and not being able to share the biggest moment of his life uninterrupted and uninhibited or risk comments like those or his stock plummeting is a very sad commentary on the state of the league and not insignificant part of its fans.  

Looks like it could be his brother. 

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

I remember Ballard was asked about not taking Sweat when he traded back, and he gave an uncomfortable smile and said he was a heck of a player. This might be why he passed on him. I'm guessing the medicals and being uncoachable were a big part of it, but this might be a factor too if true. Think about it. Being gay IS NOT a character concern, HOWEVER, it can divide a locker room. That, combined with the medicals and coachable issues, could of turned Ballard off to him. Assuming he's gay.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I remember Ballard was asked about not taking Sweat when he traded back, and he gave an uncomfortable smile and said he was a heck of a player. This might be why he passed on him. I'm guessing the medicals and being uncoachable were a big part of it, but this might be a factor too if true. Think about it. Being gay IS NOT a character concern, HOWEVER, it can divide a locker room. That, combined with the medicals and coachable issues, could of turned Ballard off to him. Assuming he's gay.

Well, we passed on Metcalf too and several other teams did so as well. Can it not just be football related that a potential top 15 draft pick (even Metcalf was touted to be that) with a possible medical issue wasn't worth a team taking a chance that high in the draft? He wasn't obviously cleared by Colts doctors but by Texans doctors and the information shared with the others last minute. 

For starters, a guy who held up real well vs Montez Sweat 1-on-1, Dalton Risner, was not drafted till the beginning of Round 2. Every year, players rated Round 1 material, fall in the draft. Like the poster above said, this is click bait stuff to me.

30 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I hope that video doesn't take over this thread. It's dumb and clickbait-y. Should honestly probably be deleted. Not just because of offensiveness but also because it could start a stupid ridiculous debate.

Yeah... at this point I would like to ask a moderator to move those in a separate thread. Seems like this topic took over the thread and we are going severely off-topic. Thank you in advance. 

56 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Well, we passed on Metcalf too and several other teams did so as well. Can it not just be football related that a potential top 15 draft pick (even Metcalf was touted to be that) with a possible medical issue wasn't worth a team taking a chance that high in the draft? He wasn't obviously cleared by Colts doctors but by Texans doctors and the information shared with the others last minute. 

For starters, a guy who held up real well vs Montez Sweat 1-on-1, Dalton Risner, was not drafted till the beginning of Round 2. Every year, players rated Round 1 material, fall in the draft. Like the poster above said, this is click bait stuff to me.

It's probably just clickbait and I'm over-analyzing it. Just interesting to think about based on Ballard's reaction to the question about him and the video of him getting drafted. Probably medical and coaching issues. Carry on.

9 hours ago, stitches said:

Sorry, wasn't meant to call anyone out - I was just searching for my own posts about Leonard from about draft time. 

This year... I don't think there is as clearcut of an answer as last year simply because I don't see any of our defensive draft picks having guaranteed 3-downs snaps. I think Banogu has the highest floor simply because I think he will play 100% of the SAM snaps, but the SAM snaps are not very many - usually they max out at about 35% of all defensive snaps and I do think they will try to involve him and develop him as a pass-rusher so I expect him getting moved to the EDGE on passing downs sometimes. So in general I expect him to get about 50% of the snaps. 

I think Rock has the biggest chance to be 3 downs player(highest ceiling for impact) and he plays extremely important position so I guess if I had to make a pick it would be Rock, but I don't feel great about it. He will have to beat Quincy Wilson for the sub-packages outside CB snaps and will have to beat one of Moore or Desir for the base defense outside CB snaps. 

Nah, all good Stitch. You are a knowledgeable poster so call me

out all u like. :thmup:

On 5/14/2019 at 12:07 AM, ProblChld32 said:

I’m here with you the Willis pick honestly had me scratching me head. Especially given who was still on the board at that position like Amani Hooker. I’ve watched his film and nothing really sticks out or wows me about him. He really seems like an average safety. They really were Clamorous over his ability to cover TE’s  and Backs our the backfield so I assume they plan on utilizing him in sub packages. But I’m not hoping on his hype train just yet.

Even then I see Farley taking over for Geathers if he goes down not Willis. 

Willis I watched his tape and he was always around the football I don't like where they took him I think he would have been there with one of the original 4th round picks but I see potential every pick has potential.

On 5/14/2019 at 12:07 AM, ProblChld32 said:

I’m here with you the Willis pick honestly had me scratching me head. Especially given who was still on the board at that position like Amani Hooker. I’ve watched his film and nothing really sticks out or wows me about him. He really seems like an average safety. They really were Clamorous over his ability to cover TE’s  and Backs our the backfield so I assume they plan on utilizing him in sub packages. But I’m not hoping on his hype train just yet.

Even then I see Farley taking over for Geathers if he goes down not Willis. 

Farley is such an underrated safety. When it comes to timely INTs, he always seems to come through in the clutch. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

Farley is such an underrated safety. When it comes to timely INTs, he always seems to come through in the clutch. 

I feel like people don’t give him enough credit. Of you watch his film he is literally always around the ball. Which is why he comes up with impact plays. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 2:57 PM, ProblChld32 said:

I feel like people don’t give him enough credit. Of you watch his film he is literally always around the ball. Which is why he comes up with impact plays. 

I agree Farley seems under appreciated on the board at times. Maybe because he was out the last half of the season but when he’s on the field he makes his presence felt. I see a lot of talk about him being a potential cut. I just don’t see that happening. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, akcolt said:

I agree Farley seems under appreciated on the board at times. Maybe because he was out the last half of the season but when he’s on the field he makes his presence felt. I see a lot of talk about him being a potential cut. I just don’t see that happening. 

I personally don’t see it happening either , if he does get cut I’d be extremely surprised.