Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Willis and Tell

I sure don't miss the old days of guys missing training camp because they haven't signed their contract. Sometimes you'd go days in the training camp without a player being signed and that always affected the player negatively

@CR91 Can you or someone explain why it isn't pretty automatic? How much flexibility does either side have? I know there was some "offset" money (I think that was the term I heard) that came up when the Ohio St. DE signed with the Chargers, but outside of that long hold out, I am unclear on why it's not just a formality?  Doesn't the league mandate the money? 

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

@CR91 Can you or someone explain why it isn't pretty automatic? How much flexibility does either side have? I know there was some "offset" money (I think that was the term I heard) that came up when the Ohio St. DE signed with the Chargers, but outside of that long hold out, I am unclear on why it's not just a formality?  Doesn't the league mandate the money? 

Its more about incentives then structure. The rookie pay scale is already set.

I expect Willis to win the job week 4 or so, and never look back.

- Geathers is not one of Ballard's draftees.

- Geathers is injury prone, 1 injury away from retirement.

- Willis had slightly below average speed, above average intelligence for position. Good size at 5'11'' 214 lbs, strength at 22 bench reps.

His floor is a prime Laron Landry, ceiling a Kam Chancellor.

It seems like they are practicing Tell mostly at corner but still giving him reps at safety.

That is music to my ears for when we play two deep safety's.......Hooker and Tell splitting the deep halves sounds interesting with their combined speed, length, instincts and ball skills.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Popular Now

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• IMO he was not head and shoulders ahead of Manning. He was on better teams.  Manning set the table for Brady and offensive coordinators in todays NFL. He changed the game. 
    • Darius Leonard would probably be cheaper on the tag than if they extended him now.
    • Super Bowl 15. Jim Plunkett (MVP), 3 TDs Super Bowl 18. Jim Plunkett (Marcus Allen), 1 TD Super Bowl 20. Jim McMahon (Richard Dent), 0 TDs Super Bowl 22. Doug Williams (MVP), 4 TDs Super Bowl 25. Jeff Hostetler (Ottis Anderson), 1 TD Super Bowl 26. Mark Rypien (MVP), 2 TDs Super Bowl 35. Trent Dilfer (Ray Lewis), 1 TD Super Bowl 37. Brad Johnson (Dexter Jackson), 2 TDs Super Bowl 47: Joe Flacco (MVP), 3TDs Super Bowl 52: Nick Foles (MVP), 3 TDs   Here are some average QB's who won the Super Bowl.  Great supporting casts.
    • If they're looking at the absolute "must re-sign" players coming up ( Leonard, Smith, Q), and also want to make a splash in FA, I can see a restructure for a player they expect to be here for a while, such as Kelly. The cap room could get awfully small in a hurry under the above scenario. A little breathing room is a good thing.   
    • No...but I would have done that move for the two QBs drafted after him. We would just have to assume that Ballard is not Ryan Pace and that he wouldn't draft Tribuskaye.   But of course it's a gamble. Addressing QB is a challenge nearly all teams must face. And it's what separates teams. That's what made KC a perennial playoff team that would lose on WC weekend into the #1 team in the NFL. Or takes a perennial 8-8 team like BUF and makes them into a team that can compete with a team like KC.    Trading (with conditions) for a QB coming off a terrible season is a gamble as well. It's just less of a gamble because Reich knows Wentz and because of a perceived lower cost...and because they can bail pretty quickly. Which is exactly why it's a half-measure. They know they aren't committing to Wentz any further than the first 75% of next season. I can understand the appeal of that...but with a position like QB...I am not convinced it will get them where they want to go.   But we will just have to see it play out.        
  • Members