Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Willis and Tell

CR91

@CR91 Can you or someone explain why it isn't pretty automatic? How much flexibility does either side have? I know there was some "offset" money (I think that was the term I heard) that came up when the Ohio St. DE signed with the Chargers, but outside of that long hold out, I am unclear on why it's not just a formality?  Doesn't the league mandate the money? 

3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

@CR91 Can you or someone explain why it isn't pretty automatic? How much flexibility does either side have? I know there was some "offset" money (I think that was the term I heard) that came up when the Ohio St. DE signed with the Chargers, but outside of that long hold out, I am unclear on why it's not just a formality?  Doesn't the league mandate the money? 

Its more about incentives then structure. The rookie pay scale is already set.

I expect Willis to win the job week 4 or so, and never look back.

- Geathers is not one of Ballard's draftees.

- Geathers is injury prone, 1 injury away from retirement.

- Willis had slightly below average speed, above average intelligence for position. Good size at 5'11'' 214 lbs, strength at 22 bench reps.

His floor is a prime Laron Landry, ceiling a Kam Chancellor.

It seems like they are practicing Tell mostly at corner but still giving him reps at safety.

That is music to my ears for when we play two deep safety's.......Hooker and Tell splitting the deep halves sounds interesting with their combined speed, length, instincts and ball skills.