Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which newcomers are you most excited about?

dodsworth

8 hours ago, #12. said:

A lot of candidates from the past 2-3 drafts to possibly make a leap - Kelly, Hooker, Mack, Smith, Turay, Lewis, etc.  Even someone like Glowinski is relatively young and and can improve with experience.  PFF liked Wilson the final 10 games - predicted a breakout from him.  

Exciting.

A much better position than a team of aging vets with declining abilities.

• Like 1

I'm just giddy. Lol

Since we're talking excitement, I'll say Campbell most of all. I think he has the greatest chance of having an early impact. Ya-Sin will probably see the Nickle but mostly develop behind Moore and Desir. And pass rushers rarely make a big impact early. Rookie WRs go off all the time, and he's competing for a pretty winnable WR 3 role behind Hilton and Funchess. Add that logic with his explosiveness and I'm ready to see this dude break a big one for a TD.

Not what was asked but who I'm most excited to see overall is actually Marlon Mack. He's not convinced me yet, but truly looked great late in the season and in the playoffs. I want so badly for him to prove he deserves to be our main guy. We are overdue for a big year from an Indy RB.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Reggie Wayne wasn't exactly a burner along side Marvin Harrison,

so I can't recall when we had 2 elite speedster wideouts.

Reggie Wayne Ran a 4.45 that’s definitely deep speed early on in his career he and Harrison definitely lit up opposing defenses not to mention Reggie’s route running was more polished which allowed him to get much more separation.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2019 at 8:59 AM, Matthew Gilbert said:

I think Hooker might be my darkhorse All Pro candidate.

Hooker had a heck of a year last year.  He definitely seemed to improve as the year went on (and I  think that was expected in a new scheme and coming off a major knee injury).  Unfortunately, it seems like DBs who rack up a lot of INTs get more recognition for All-pro/Pro-bowl.  Hooker did an exceptional job shutting down the middle of the field last year... if he does that again this year, he may have an exceptional year, but if teams don't throw at him, may lack the stats to get votes.

On 5/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, dodsworth said:

Reggie Wayne wasn't exactly a burner along side Marvin Harrison,

so I can't recall when we had 2 elite speedster wideouts.

As @ProblChld32 said, Reggie ran a 4.45 before the draft.  He was a lot faster than most give him credit for....  People have high hopes for Campbell (rightfully so), but for now I think it's way pre-mature to call him elite.

A few years back we had Moncrief, Dorsett and TY -- all 4.4 or under guys.  They talked a lot in pre-season that they had some packages called the Indy 500 b/c they were so fast and would burn by defenses.  TY is really the only one that did anything substantial from that group.  

I think Campbell will wind up being a better WR than Moncrief/Dorsett -- but until we see it, I'm not ready to say TY's got an elite speedster alongside him.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:12 AM, Superman said:

I'm intrigued by this entire class. I don't know if any one player excites me (Campbell, maybe). I'm more excited by what the coaching staff is going to do. I see some scheme versatility coming on defense, and I think the offense has the potential to be more refined, balanced and explosive.

I agree with this 100%.  We ran a pretty vanilla defense last year -- I think for 2 reasons: (1) we were very young and unexperienced, and (2) we didn't have a lot of talent.  We definitely deepened our talent across the roster this year and the young guys from last year are a year older (outside of Autry, Woods and Hunt, our main defensive contributors had 3 or less years of NFL experience).  

We definitely added some athletes to this roster in the off-season, so I think we'll see a much more intricate defensive scheme this year.

On offense, I am excited that we tried to get some weapons for Luck to take pressure off TY.  We got Luck protection last year, but with Doyle out hurt and TY playing with significant pain, Luck did a heckuva job elevating talent of others in the offense.   I thought it was very apparent in the playoff loss to KC when TY was hobbling that our offense needed to add weapons.  If Campbell, Cain, and Funchess pan out and if Doyle comes back healthy, Luck ought not have any lack of weapons with this group.

On 5/13/2019 at 11:16 AM, BlueCrew48 said:

Just watched Devin Funchess's highlights and I had to come back to change my vote.  I think he might be the one I am now most excited for.  That dude is TALENTED and BIG.  We haven't had a big target like that in awhile, not that can reliably catch the ball at least.  Dude has Damian Heyward Bay size, but actually makes catches, which is fairly important.  Plus he seems pretty damn quick, looked it up and he ran a 4.47 40 on his draft profile.  and, I like the fact that he doesn't seem bothered by contact, and lowered his head and shoulder on quite a few plays getting him extra yardage or the TD.  

I also like that he has a wide catch radius.  It seems like his drops are what he gets knocked for, but if you look at the actual stats, he mainly drops balls that are right in his numbers and makes catches on balls away from his body.  I think Luck will work very nicely with him.

• Like 1