Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which newcomers are you most excited about?

dodsworth

We have a lot to be excited about of the moves the team made this off season.

So my question is, what new addition to the team gets you pumped for the

season to start?

1. My top pick is the new linebackers of Banago, Okereke and EJ Speed. 

If you can't get excited about these guys alongside Leonard then check

your pulse because you might be dead.

2. I had full intentions to place Parris Campbell in the 3rd slot but I can't 

stop thinking how electric the offense can be with Parris opposite

TY and Funch in the slot.

3. We really need Rock Ya-Sin to be a stud press corner and allow the 

defensive line time to get to the QB. His position can not be underated

if this defense is to make the next step.

4. Speaking of defensive line, who can't get excited about the Justin Houston

acquisition. I'm looking for double digit sacks with this guy.

5. My last pick may surprise some people but Spencer Ware looks very

shifty and quick for a 229 LB running back. Don't sleep on Hines and

Wilkins in their 2nd year. 

Where is your excitement Colts nation?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Campbell gets me the most excited simply because of his explosiveness along with being in a great offense where he can really succeed. 

On defense im excited to see how Eberflus uses Banogu. He’s our chess piece on defense who can move around confusing the offense. I’m also curious to see how Ya-Sin plays as well as the impact Houston will have. 

• Like 4

I watched some more game tape of Banogu.

I am STILL excited we drafted him

He has excellent closing speed, he also gives 100% effort on every play.

However, He had ENORMOUS problems getting around the OT....

Much of this I think is arm and hand strength, as well as having any type of pass rush plan

These can be developed

His sacks seemed to come from stunts, and where he delayed the rush

I can envision him causing havoc on 1st and 2nd down, as he lines up behine the Left DE, coming in fast to TFL on runs coming his way, or getting a QB pressure.  

He looks to be a LONG way from being able to rush the QB on 3rd and long as a traditional 4-3 end........  however

I am excited by the wrinkle that Campbell brings.  The defense HAS to account for him......   

THIS ALONE should free up EVERY other part of our offense

We should expect to see dime and nickle coverage 80-90%

With this line...... that should mean 5 yards plus per carry.

I really would like to see how Speed develops. The guy is big and fast.

He SEEMS to have the tools to be successful.......  He just needs time to develop.

I hope he is a good listener, and has the intelligence to learn whats needed from the pro game

He will be Special teams (as well as a backup) this year to step up from Whatsamatta University that he attended.........

IF.... A BIG IF, he learns to play, I can see him pushing for MLB spot in 2020 season

(He is the classic boom or bust draftee)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I watched some more game tape of Banogu.

I am STILL excited we drafted him

He has excellent closing speed, he also gives 100% effort on every play.

However, He had ENORMOUS problems getting around the OT....

Much of this I think is arm and hand strength, as well as having any type of pass rush plan

These can be developed

His sacks seemed to come from stunts, and where he delayed the rush

I can envision him causing havoc on 1st and 2nd down, as he lines up behine the Left DE, coming in fast to TFL on runs coming his way, or getting a QB pressure.  

He looks to be a LONG way from being able to rush the QB on 3rd and long as a traditional 4-3 end........  however

I am excited by the wrinkle that Campbell brings.  The defense HAS to account for him......   

THIS ALONE should free up EVERY other part of our offense

We should expect to see dime and nickle coverage 80-90%

With this line...... that should mean 5 yards plus per carry.

I really would like to see how Speed develops. The guy is big and fast.

He SEEMS to have the tools to be successful.......  He just needs time to develop.

I hope he is a good listener, and has the intelligence to learn whats needed from the pro game

He will be Special teams (as well as a backup) this year to step up from Whatsamatta University that he attended.........

IF.... A BIG IF, he learns to play, I can see him pushing for MLB spot in 2020 season

(He is the classic boom or bust draftee)

I'm not really sure why EJ Speed intrigues me so much, it may be that I see a lot

of Darius Leonard in his videos. The second tier of our defense is going to be

super fast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't mean to take the easy way out....     but I'm interested and excited by all of them.

The whole class.    I admit,  some more than others.

But guys like Willis and Tell excite me as much as all our Day 2 picks.

I think this class could be very underrated because there's no one obvious standout like last year with Nelson.    And then Leonard surprised us all.

Lots of different players could surprise to the upside.     Just keep 'em healthy,  coach 'em up,  and let 'em play!

• Like 5

I really thought we would address the IDL but I am very excited for the new guys. So much so that I forgot about Houston and the fact of how young our guys were last year. This team can be something special for years to come.  

• Like 2

While I'm excited about Campbell and the linebacking corps, I'm most interested to see this offensive line push people around six ways from Sunday.  Nelson and Smith are in year 2, we picked up a couple new rookies, and got some new line coaching with Chris Strausser and Jason Michael.  

We have a reasonable expectation of improvement by Luck and the receivers, but add in a punishing run game with Reich's offensive wizardry and there will simply be no answer for them.  That balance is what I'm excited to see more than anything.  They were talking about having a Top-5 run game, so you know it's a priority.  

51 minutes ago, BluHorzhu said:

While I'm excited about Campbell and the linebacking corps, I'm most interested to see this offensive line push people around six ways from Sunday.  Nelson and Smith are in year 2, we picked up a couple new rookies, and got some new line coaching with Chris Strausser and Jason Michael.  

We have a reasonable expectation of improvement by Luck and the receivers, but add in a punishing run game with Reich's offensive wizardry and there will simply be no answer for them.  That balance is what I'm excited to see more than anything.  They were talking about having a Top-5 run game, so you know it's a priority.  

Don't forget Howard Mudd is back as a consultant. The guy is a legend.

• Like 3

Well overall, am excided about all of our draft & free agent picks, 

But for Luck's sake , I am curious about our receiving core. Can Paris make a splash this year? Can Cain comeback from being injured to make a difference?  Will we be at full strength , in our tight end receiving group? If these guys can stay healthy to complement TY, then look out NFL. I think we are  building a good defense , but I would like to see a more threating offense this year, barring injury.  If our running  game gets even better on short yardage, I think that we could be a force this season.  

I'm looking forward to a 4-3 under front with Houston/Turay and Banogu rushing the passer from the same side.

I'm looking forward to some Cover 3 with Rock and Wilson playing press man, Tell playing over the TE and Hooker playing centerfield again.

I'm looking forward to a Dime package of Houston/Autry/Lewis/Turay and Leonard up front and Rock/Desir/Wilson/Moore/Tell/Hooker patrolling the backend.

I'm looking forward to Hilton, Campbell, Ebron, Funchess and Cain running routes and Hines out of the backfield all at the same time.

I look forward to our special teams overall speed with the rookie linebackers, Odum and Tell, et al. The slowest may run a 4.6 flat in E.J. Speed.

I'm looking forward to Mack breaking the 1000 yard mark.

I'm looking forward to Luck breaking the 40 TD barrier and the 5000 yards mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I'm not really sure why EJ Speed intrigues me so much, it may be that I see a lot

of Darius Leonard in his videos. The second tier of our defense is going to be

super fast.

To me, Speed jumps off the film as much as anyone we drafted.  Doesn't mean he'll be a great pro, but he is an intriguing player.

• Like 1

I'm also very excited to see which young guys already here make a jump. One would expect 2 or 3 minimum should jump to the "next level". With all the 1 and 2 year players on this roster, and massive competition at every position, i expect a surprise or two as well.  

And besides the rookies listed above, it will be interesting to see  what effect UDFA or cut players added later might have on this roster.

I see alot of guys in the mix at almost all positions, and Ballard will make sure they feel the competition and opportunity everyday.   Add in the fact that Ballard and Reich seems to prefer competitive, physical, high intensity, and high speed practices, and this team could really start the season rolling.  One can only hope.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

One would expect 2 or 3 minimum should jump to the "next level".

A lot of candidates from the past 2-3 drafts to possibly make a leap - Kelly, Hooker, Mack, Smith, Turay, Lewis, etc.  Even someone like Glowinski is relatively young and and can improve with experience.  PFF liked Wilson the final 10 games - predicted a breakout from him.  

16 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Campbell and Ya Sin. These were 2 of our weakest positions last year imo and if these guys ball out we will be scary. 

My picks as well.  Agree with the OP that I would prefer to see Campbell as number 2.  @ burners on the outside that you can beat Ds either way over the top.  We have a short route targets in Ebron and Doyle, as well as Funch.  Dont know enough about him, but being a bigger guy it seems to make sense to use him to challenge the middle of the field and short outs.

I think Rock Ya-Sin is going to over exceed peoples expectations.  Banogu looks promising as well.

Draft pick: WR Parris Campbell

Free agent acquisition: EDGE Justin Houston

Returning player off injury: WR Deion Cain

(I'm sorry if these are all "safe" picks, but it is true.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dodsworth said:

We have a lot to be excited about of the moves the team made this off season.

So my question is, what new addition to the team gets you pumped for the

season to start?

1. My top pick is the new linebackers of Banago, Okereke and EJ Speed. 

If you can't get excited about these guys alongside Leonard then check

your pulse because you might be dead.

2. I had full intentions to place Parris Campbell in the 3rd slot but I can't 

stop thinking how electric the offense can be with Parris opposite

TY and Funch in the slot.

3. We really need Rock Ya-Sin to be a stud press corner and allow the 

defensive line time to get to the QB. His position can not be underated

if this defense is to make the next step.

4. Speaking of defensive line, who can't get excited about the Justin Houston

acquisition. I'm looking for double digit sacks with this guy.

5. My last pick may surprise some people but Spencer Ware looks very

shifty and quick for a 229 LB running back. Don't sleep on Hines and

Wilkins in their 2nd year. 

Where is your excitement Colts nation?

I’m going to have to go with Campbell. We haven’t had two legitimate deep threats in quite some time (I don’t count Phillip Dorsett). It’s going to be fun watching he and TY destroy defenses. 

• Like 1

it has to be campbell for me. Ive loved this kid for two years and almost pulled a groin jumping for joy when we drafted him (my wife can attest to that haha), but I am also interested on how the colts plan to move Banogu around from LB to DE and vise-versa

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

I’m going to have to go with Campbell. We haven’t had two legitimate deep threats in quite some time (I don’t count Phillip Dorsett). It’s going to be fun watching he and TY destroy defenses. 

Reggie Wayne wasn't exactly a burner along side Marvin Harrison,

so I can't recall when we had 2 elite speedster wideouts.

41 minutes ago, CR91 said:

it has to be campbell for me. Ive loved this kid for two years and almost pulled a groin jumping for joy when we drafted him (my wife can attest to that haha), but I am also interested on how the colts plan to move Banogu around from LB to DE and vise-versa

I was hoping for a Buckeye receiver but I thought it might be McLaurin in the third.  I think I did pull the groin when the Campbell pick was announced.  

• Haha 1

I'm intrigued by this entire class. I don't know if any one player excites me (Campbell, maybe). I'm more excited by what the coaching staff is going to do. I see some scheme versatility coming on defense, and I think the offense has the potential to be more refined, balanced and explosive.

• Like 2

I'm anxious to see Justin Houston out there. I think we're going to notice a huge difference with his presents on the field. Unsure about Rock yet but I think he will be tested for sure. I'm excited about Campbell, hopefully he jumps right in and shows out right away.

5 hours ago, BlueCrew48 said:

My picks as well.  Agree with the OP that I would prefer to see Campbell as number 2.  @ burners on the outside that you can beat Ds either way over the top.  We have a short route targets in Ebron and Doyle, as well as Funch.  Dont know enough about him, but being a bigger guy it seems to make sense to use him to challenge the middle of the field and short outs.

I think Rock Ya-Sin is going to over exceed peoples expectations.  Banogu looks promising as well.

Just watched Devin Funchess's highlights and I had to come back to change my vote.  I think he might be the one I am now most excited for.  That dude is TALENTED and BIG.  We haven't had a big target like that in awhile, not that can reliably catch the ball at least.  Dude has Damian Heyward Bay size, but actually makes catches, which is fairly important.  Plus he seems pretty damn quick, looked it up and he ran a 4.47 40 on his draft profile.  and, I like the fact that he doesn't seem bothered by contact, and lowered his head and shoulder on quite a few plays getting him extra yardage or the TD.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Funchess by far. 

From a point of view of "which player, if he does not meet base expectations for his role, could cause a ripple effect considerably", yes, Funchess would fit the bill the most. If he does not hit the ground running like we expect him to, it could thrust Parris into a role where he'd have to contribute more than we'd like him to (since I feel coaches look at getting him about just 5-10 touches a game and ramp it up during the second half of the season).

Funchess is supposed to be the "known" commodity while Deon Cain, Fountain, and everyone other than TY are either average or unknown commodities on the WR front. That is why I wasn't too thrilled with not re-signing a reliable "known" commodity in Inman while relying on average and unknown ones behind TY. Funchess HAS to deliver. 

As far as the draft classes goes, player development regarding second year players and rookies playing rotational roles is what I am looking forward to, no one in particular. This is the year the coaching will start to make its mark. There is more expectation from the coaches to build upon last year than just the players this year, IMO. 

• Like 2