Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay donates a million dollars to Cancer Research

CR91

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

Bottom line, there's no shortage of need so we should all appreciate those who do help in some way and try to be one of those people ourselves when we can.  

serena williams applause GIF

Connecting with your community in whatever way you are able makes it a better place

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Nadine said:

Speaking as someone who did fundraising, you need both.

You do get some perspective volunteering.  My daughter just volunteered at a food pantry and met a single mom who has brain cancer and not enough money for food.

My wife used to donate at a local food pantry.    She had a hard time with it.   She couldn't get over the people who frequented that didn't really NEED to.  Drive up in a nice car, having a nice Iphone and dressed in newer clothing.   There are some that are known to make the rounds.  Some will only take the canned meat and higher end items.   I tried to tell her that for every one of those people, there are a dozen who really need the help.   

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

I tried to tell her that for every one of those people, there are a dozen who really need the help

And you don't know someone's story just by looking at them. Could be a job was just lost and they started pinching pennies.  Hard to imagine someone going to the food bank if there isn't a reason

18 minutes ago, Nadine said:

And you don't know someone's story just by looking at them. Could be a job was just lost and they started pinching pennies.  Hard to imagine someone going to the food bank if there isn't a reason

Many do.   You can save allot of money by doing stuff like that.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:25 PM, CR91 said:

Even though thats toilet paper to a billionaire haha. Much respect though from a cancer survivor. Re-mission 17 years.   

Didn't he just purchase a piano for like half a million?? Nice gesture though.

On 5/16/2019 at 5:56 AM, Rackeen305 said:

Its a hobby it seems of Irsay's to collect famous instruments

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 8:56 AM, Rackeen305 said:

Have you ever spent half as much as you give to (one) charity on something you enjoy? Why shouldn't he? It isn't his only giving and it isn't his only purchase.  He doesn't have to give anything to anyone.  Why nitpick it?  Are you a better giver than he is? Yes? Then are you better than everyone else who gives less? No? Then what is your point? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Have you ever spent half as much as you give to (one) charity on something you enjoy? Why shouldn't he? It isn't his only giving and it isn't his only purchase.  He doesn't have to give anything to anyone.  Why nitpick it?  Are you a better giver than he is? Yes? Then are you better than everyone else who gives less? No? Then what is your point? 

I have a right to my own opinion. No? You decided to “correct” someone online. (Round of applause) Now the world is a better place.

2 hours ago, Rackeen305 said:

I have a right to my own opinion. No? You decided to “correct” someone online. (Round of applause) Now the world is a better place.

No, I asked what your POINT was? Otherwise, why be a troll? See, you attacked someone for doing something good, THEN you play the VICTIM when someone questions your opinion.  You don't get to have it both ways.

Everyone is posting their opinion, and it is appropriate and common to ask for supporting facts when none are offered.  I am also offering my opinion. See that is how it works, since you apparently don't like others having a response.  If he doesn't deserve to be praised because he did something you don't like with the money he earned, what is your "standard" to support your point of view? Or is he just a target for a cheap shot?  

Anytime an unsubstantiated personal attack meets resistance, the world is a better place.  Thanks for the applause. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

No, I asked what your POINT was? Otherwise, why be a troll? See, you attacked someone for doing something good, THEN you play the VICTIM when someone questions your opinion.  You don't get to have it both ways.

Everyone is posting their opinion, and it is appropriate and common to ask for supporting facts when none are offered.  I am also offering my opinion. See that is how it works, since you apparently don't like others having a response.  If he doesn't deserve to be praised because he did something you don't like with the money he earned, what is your "standard" to support your point of view? Or is he just a target for a cheap shot?  

Anytime an unsubstantiated personal attack meets resistance, the world is a better place.  Thanks for the applause. 

He made an observation,  and even said it was a nice gesture.   Far from attacking and a cheap shot. 

4bf392-lb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

I actually agree with you on this!!! To me, it sounded like a "yeah, but..." backhanded compliment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So how much is enough of a donation to count?  How does one propose finding cures for cancer without large amounts of money?  Would you feel differently if you had cancer?  Do you not think Irsay is sent requests for charitable contributions daily, multiple times?  Look in the mirror before replying.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:28 PM, chad72 said:

I actually agree with you on this!!! To me, it sounded like a "yeah, but..." backhanded compliment. 

There have been a few of those on this thread.  Some people aren't happy unless they can diminish the accomplishments or actions of others.

• Thanks 1