Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coltsfeva

Colts and the Media

I think most Colts take their lead from our Superstars, Luck and Hilton.  The rest flows out from there.  Coaches can influence, but I think the players at the top who are most respected set the most important example.  Luck is a nerd's nerd.  And he's universally respected by the players by all accounts.  

I actually think Frank Reich says too much in interviews sometimes. I don't pay as much attention to the player interviews.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

I actually think Frank Reich says too much in interviews sometimes. I don't pay as much attention to the player interviews.

Yeah.  I was surprised and not sure I really liked that he said it won’t be fair to other teams now that we have Campbell.  (Or something to that effect)

24 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Yeah.  I was surprised and not sure I really liked that he said it won’t be fair to other teams now that we have Campbell.  (Or something to that effect)

It's my guess the Pats will prepare the same way for Campbell, regardless of what anyone with the Colts might reveal. 

29 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

That will have zero effect on how teams game plan for us.  

I was thinking along the same lines when i watched the "on the clock" videos.  On one hand, its really cool for us fans to see how they do things.  On the other hand, i would prefer if other teams have a 0% idea of what we are doing and thinking.   The difference between winning and losing is so small that hearing a WR pregame mention something from a practice in the week can in fact make a difference.

Ballard should have our guys giving "F news" info during interviews.  Q should show the video where he's catching passes.   

35 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

That will have zero effect on how teams game plan for us.  

No, but its the old "if i know you are working 8 hours, i will work 9" theory.  You just dont need to tip off opponents to what you are doing on AND off the field.  ESPECIALLY in new, unique, or against the grain areas.  Let them think you are doing the same things you are.

Its no coincidence that New England is so successful and so secretive.  Possibly the best in both areas in the history of sports.

Edit/Note:  When i posted this, i thought it was directed toward Decker, the character coach.  But it applies to players, coaches, Blue, etc.

I think this is overrated.  Belichick is the more prominent example of giving the media no answers, but there are plenty of people who are more friendly with the media and also have plenty of success.  Not saying anything to the media doesn't correlate with success.  I think Belichick's distaste for the media has more to do with the media asking stupid questions.  Ask him a good question and he'll give you a good answer.

Don't forget that Belichick was the first person in NFL history to allow NFL Films to follow him and the Pats around for an entire year, mic'd up at practices and games and everything. 

At the end of the day, I think film study and preparation have the biggest impact.  You notice a team's trends via film study and think of ways to counter them with your own game planning.  Maximizing your talent, putting your players in the best positions to win, trying to attack the opponent's weaknesses, taking away the opponent's best weapons, that's the kind of stuff that helps you win.  I think talking to the media is such a small piece to the over puzzle of how to win that it's almost negligible.

14 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I think talking to the media is such a small piece to the over puzzle of how to win that it's almost negligible.

In general, I agree. This stuff can be overstated. But there are times when Reich is talking and I think 'he's saying too much, he's giving too much detail.' As a fan who likes to understand the process and the approach, it's great. But sometimes I think he could be more careful with what he says in interviews.

I've always thought this same thing. I'll be watching an interview of Pagano or one of the coordinators and they're pretty much telling you what they plan for this week and how they're practicing. I know that the players have to actually stop the other team during game day but still, they've said way too much. I think it does provide an advantage to the other team in a small way. Maybe we should throw out some nonsense before the next game against the Pats and try to confuse the hell out of them. lol