Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Decker

Very interesting approach. I completely agree with it. Special forces are about pushing your body past what it can do. People think they're all this and that but when it comes down to it they fold like a wet paper sack mentally. And why someone would think that approach is funny is beyond me. Must have the mentality of cotton

• Like 4

Considering football was/is heavily influenced and shaped by the military...makes perfect sense to seek out players with certain fundamental mindsets and work ethics...as well as ones that have a disposition toward leadership. 

Though at the end of the day...it's a game...not special ops...and there's a huge promotion/publicity side to the NFL (for players and the team). And I think teams definitely benefit from having guys that can market themselves well (as long as that it isn't the only thing they care about). So there has to be a balance of sorts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been interested in his story since he came on board.  Ballard mentioned recently that they Lean on him a lot.  I think it’s part of the reason why nobody can predict a CHRis Ballard draft.  His evaluations play a big role. 

• Like 1

In my formative years I thought soldiers were nuts to be Special Forces but now being a retired vet. I’ve changed,  it takes a special breed to be Special Forces!  That goes with anyone being successful, it takes a special breed.  You need the all the physical, mental, social and physiological traits that one can muster up!  You can’t stand in formation and say I’ll be successful.  You got to put in the work and Mr. Decker is here to see if one has the qualities to be an NFL player.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Franklin County said:

Is there a way to read these articles from the Athletic, without subscribing to their services?

IF you go to the iTunes ap you can download the athletic. You can read  so many free articles a month. Once you have read the max you have to wait until the next month to get free ones again.

• Like 1

Now the chess match begins.  If the story on Decker keeps escalating, player agents will be trying to fish information from their clients who have met him.    Looking to get an inside track when one of their clients meet with Colts.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He might now, but in the article it says he was going to hire Decker, but decided against it.

In the article I saw when we hired Decker about a year ago...    I believe Decker meets B.B. and after they talk for a bit, Belichick basically says....

“ I’m sure you’re good at what you do, but we already have someone who does this... “

That’s my recollection...   

On 5/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, JPFolks said:

Thank you for this.  I think sometimes people lose perspective.  

He’s not here to judge talent, that’s CB & Staff’s job but he is here to judge the “IT” factor.  Does this guy have what it takes to be a pro, does he have the “WILL” to succeed!  It’s not about the size of the dog, it’s about the fight inside the dog and that’s all about special forces!  It takes one to know one mentality and I love it CB is a pure genius!  It’s amazing how some Orgs are so clueless.

1 hour ago, NDcolt said:

He’s not here to judge talent, that’s CB & Staff’s job but he is here to judge the “IT” factor.  Does this guy have what it takes to be a pro, does he have the “WILL” to succeed!  It’s not about the size of the dog, it’s about the fight inside the dog and that’s all about special forces!  It takes one to know one mentality and I love it CB is a pure genius!  It’s amazing how some Orgs are so clueless.

The point I was making is Football is NOT War. 

When you really look at it, it is surprising how similar an nfl team and a military special op type team really are.

Both need to operate on a personal AND team-wide basis simultaneously.  Both deal with a physically and mentally demanding environment which are constantly changing.  Both need to handle similar challenges (personal and team-wide) that require an intelligence, confidence, and character to stick to it calmly, work the problem, find a solution, and overcone the challenge.  Both need to be type A, self-starters, while also playing nice in the sandbox.  Both must be regimented, yet flexible. 

Seems kinda common sense after it is brought to your attention.  Not a total solution, but one more tool to identify specific traits in human beings (in this case nfl athletes) that have shown to increase the likelihood of success in desired areas. Its not voodoo magic or fuzzy math.

On 5/9/2019 at 5:12 PM, JPFolks said:

Thank you for this.  I think sometimes people lose perspective.  

No duh, it's about mental fortitude which some people have. Some people don't. That's what separates special ops from others. NOT the physical but your mental fortitude being able to push you beyond your physical abilities. 

That can can be applied to anything. Work, sports, life

On 5/9/2019 at 4:17 PM, coltskane said:

In my formative years I thought soldiers were nuts to be Special Forces but now being a retired vet. I’ve changed,  it takes a special breed to be Special Forces!  That goes with anyone being successful, it takes a special breed.  You need the all the physical, mental, social and physiological traits that one can muster up!  You can’t stand in formation and say I’ll be successful.  You got to put in the work and Mr. Decker is here to see if one has the qualities to be an NFL player.

Back in my Navy days, they used to say that the best operators were a cross between a Harvard professor and a Mafia hitman. Of course, you had to start with some physical ability, and they could further build you up physically, but you either had the mental alacrity and psychological makeup, or you didn't make it. 

Football isn't all that different. Guys like Bob Sanders come to mind -- smart and physically gifted, sure -- but also with the "killer instinct" to do whatever is necessary (within the rules of engagement, of course) to beat you. Big Q and Leonard seem to have it too, and it can be somewhat contagious. Let's all hope that we're witnessing the outbreak of an epidemic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Back in my Navy days, they used to say that the best operators were a cross between a Harvard professor and a Mafia hitman. Of course, you had to start with some physical ability, and they could further build you up physically, but you either had the mental alacrity and psychological makeup, or you didn't make it. 

Football isn't all that different. Guys like Bob Sanders come to mind -- smart and physically gifted, sure -- but also with the "killer instinct" to do whatever is necessary (within the rules of engagement, of course) to beat you. Big Q and Leonard seem to have it too, and it can be somewhat contagious. Let's all hope that we're witnessing the outbreak of an epidemic.

so true

4 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Yes a friend of mine was a HS swimmer and competitive surfer and felt at ease in the water.  He joined the Navy and during the swim test he killed it and was selected to enter the Seals training.  He dropped out because he said it wasn’t for him.  Did he have ice in his veins, yes he did but being a Seal just wasn’t for him.  As being a cross between a professor and a hitman, he served in Nam and was a decoder. He sat in a locked hut or shipping container with a armed guard (he also had a piece) and on free time he volunteered to run with the riverboats delivering supplies.  Yes as tough/good/smart as he was, being a Navy Seal wasn’t for him.  I joked with him that I’d go to war with him but if he was a Seal I’d feel safer. Moral of the story, no matter how big, strong, smart, talented you are you still need the “IT” factor.  Thanks Harry for your service.