Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Roster

WoolMagnet

I look thru this roster and i get very excited.  Young guys, sure, but some real talent.  Cuts are gonna be tough.

This made me think of Ballard being cautious in free agency and all the 1 year deals.  With all the competition, 1 year deals play into that.  He truly is building from within and the ground up and I'm all for it.  I'd rather loseca an overachiever after a year than be stuck with an underachiever (over-paid to boot) for several years. You'd like to move on, but you are too financially invested.  Save the big contracts for guys we have developed and know well and who have performed well in our system, etc.

but man,  the potential we gave at pretty much all positions is amazing.  Competition everywhere.  Well, except perhaps 1 position.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

I look thru this roster and i get very excited.  Young guys, sure, but some real talent.  Cuts are gonna be tough.

This made me think of Ballard being cautious in free agency and all the 1 year deals.  With all the competition, 1 year deals play into that.  He truly is building from within and the ground up and I'm all for it.  I'd rather loseca an overachiever after a year than be stuck with an underachiever (over-paid to boot) for several years. You'd like to move on, but you are too financially invested.  Save the big contracts for guys we have developed and know well and who have performed well in our system, etc.

but man,  the potential we gave at pretty much all positions is amazing.  Competition everywhere.  Well, except perhaps 1 position.

3 positions Leonard, Nelson and of course Luck and I'll include Constanzo in there too. 

I am sure Ballard had a quote early in his tenure along the lines of "You know you are doing something right when your cuts end up on another team's 53", and I can see that happening with a good few of our guys this year.

Exciting times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveA1102 said:

I am sure Ballard had a quote early in his tenure along the lines of "You know you are doing something right when your cuts end up on another team's 53", and I can see that happening with a good few of our guys this year.

Exciting times.

This! 

I can see our practice squad getting cherry picked by other teams as well 

• Like 1