Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Next Offseason

Shadow_Creek

Will we still be at the top of the league in salary cap next off-season? I know the colts will probably be resigning a great number of players or letting them test the market however i'm curious where would that place our current salary status?

Ballard scrapped the old roster, and this created more rookies making the team than is usual for teams.  These rookie deals will (and are now) be coming due in the next few years.  If we want to keep them, it is good that we are "saving" for this.  Soon the roster will balance and we wont have as many of our own to re-sign in the offseason.  Some of this excess cap we have could also go toward extending Luck.

I like where we are at, but it will go fast once we start paying our own rising stars.

Even though the Colts will have a large amount of cap space in 2020, I wouldn't get too excited about when it comes to Free Agency. The Colts have quite a few free agents who they would love to bring back to Indy. That large cap number is going to take a big hit next offseason when Ballard begins retaining his own.

we have around 10ish I think FAs for 2020 that are currently making 3M+. In 2021 there's a few big ones like TY, and a few others, but also Ballard's first class will be up for non-rookie contracts (like Mack, Hooker, etc..).

We have 58.8M currently (still leading the NFL) for 2019, and 87.6M for 2020 as it stands today (still leading the NFL).

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/indianapolis-colts/

Next offseason we'll have the following picks as well:

Plus whatever compensatory picks for Brissett and whomever they decide not to re-sign that will likely get a contract elsewhere: Castonzo, Sheard, Funchess, Ebron, Doyle, Farley, Geathers, Clark, Haeg, Rogers and Boehm.

This will be the draft that creates the next wave of players to fill in the blanks on the depth chart.

3 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Plus whatever compensatory picks for Brissett and whomever they decide not to re-sign that will likely get a contract elsewhere: Castonzo, Sheard, Funchess, Ebron, Doyle, Farley, Geathers, Clark, Haeg, Rogers and Boehm.

This will be the draft that creates the next wave of players to fill in the blanks on the depth chart.

Yeah getting that extra 2nd looks sweet about now :thmup:

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Even though the Colts will have a large amount of cap space in 2020, I wouldn't get too excited about when it comes to Free Agency. The Colts have quite a few free agents who they would love to bring back to Indy. That large cap number is going to take a big hit next offseason when Ballard begins retaining his own.

My guess some are going  to get re signed this off season. I don’t think he will wait. He needs to get these contacts front loaded before the next wave.

59 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

If we lose anyone next year, we wouldn't get the comp picks until the 2021 draft. 

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I like them picks

Archived