Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Different Breed of Linebacker....?

Scott Pennock

On 5/6/2019 at 4:48 PM, Scott Pennock said:

I'm sorry, but look at Leonard, Speed, Okereke and Banogu and compare their measurables with Walker, Adams and Franklin and there is a rather distinct difference in body style and measurements.

It's not a coincidence, not at all. This article sums it up pretty well... they want fast, athletic guys that tackle well & can close passing lanes with their length.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-colts-continue-to-favor-scheme-specific-draft-prospects-and-its-difficult-to-argue-with-the-results

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I should write for them, they are slow on the trigger! Ha!

One thing that article clears up for me is how the Colts are able to get their draft board down to just 175 guys. When arm length, tackling, speed, leadership traits are your main bullet points for a player, it makes it pretty easy to filter out A LOT of guys & really hone in on the ones who fit what you're looking for. Then you factor in the Brian Decker evaluation, & it pares it down even more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

One thing that article clears up for me is how the Colts are able to get their draft board down to just 175 guys. When arm length, tackling, speed, leadership traits are your main bullet points for a player, it makes it pretty easy to filter out A LOT of guys & really hone in on the ones who fit what you're looking for. Then you factor in the Brian Decker evaluation, & it pares it down even more.

Yessir and the very last thing is the team captain/community involvement factor.

Next year when I "ATTEMPT" to do a mock I will do a bit more research in those areas!

One thing I noticed just watching game tape on Banogu is TCU almost never uses him in coverage so I guess it's something the Colts plan on teaching him. As a pass rusher I agree he needs more pass rush moves. Sometimes I couldn't tell what kind of D they were running but I could see many times when he appeared to be stuck on a lineman TCU only rushed 3 men which they seemed to do with some regularity. It seemed to me that whenever they rushed at least 4 people he affected the QB or made the sack. Especially if they looped him inside on ET stunts. Or sometimes if he was playing OLB in a 3 man front they'd slant him inside and he'd get some pressure. I think maybe they were running 3-3-5 or something. I think he will be fine as an edge in a 4-3 front with some improvement to his pass rush moves and approach.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, krunk said:

One thing I noticed just watching game tape on Banogu is TCU almost never uses him in coverage so I guess it's something the Colts plan on teaching him. As a pass rusher I agree he needs more pass rush moves. Sometimes I couldn't tell what kind of D they were running but I could see many times when he appeared to be stuck on a lineman TCU only rushed 3 men which they seemed to do with some regularity. It seemed to me that whenever they rushed at least 4 people he affected the QB or made the sack. Especially if they looped him inside on ET stunts. Or sometimes if he was playing OLB in a 3 man front they'd slant him inside and he'd get some pressure. I think maybe they were running 3-3-5 or something. I think he will be fine as an edge in a 4-3 front with some improvement to his pass rush moves and approach.

At SAM he could use his instincts to findca pass rushing crease to squeeze thru then use his freakish athletic ability to finish the play for a hurry/knockdown/sack/strip sack!

Still reminds me of when we used Marcus Washington in that role - I think he topped out at 8 sacks one year. 

I have faith in Houston, Sheard & Autru and the 2nd year jump for Turay, Lewis, Muhammad and Phillips. So anything Banogu provides is a bonus!

• Like 1

There is even a former Colt (Johnathan Calvin) pressuring current Colt Jacoby Brissett who gets picked by Gerri Green highlight mixed into this video.

As I stated previously, they all (including Green) look like fluid athletes who can play all over the field. Though Green is fighting for likely one spot with Muhammad and Phillips neither of which were Colts draft choices.

Elbert "E.J." Speed was actually a left-handed QB if you dig deep enough into some archives. I could see why he had some offers from some other bigger schools at 6'4" and 200+ pounds coming out of high school.