Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Mummy Returns (DK Metcalf)

For those that haven't seen the videos of DK at Minicamp, go check em out, they're all over Twitter. It's no wonder he ran a 30 second 3 cone, cuz that dude has zero fluidity to his movements. He looked really stiff to me, maybe I'm crazy cuz the media is loving it.  He is going to have to be Randy Moss brilliant on deep balls of he is gonna be successful in this league, or become the endzone threat to end all endzone threats. The WRs running the drills with him looked smooth in comparison,  and some of those guys were UDFA's I'm pretty sure. Anybody on here that's more savvy with how to embed videos, I'd really appreciate it on this post. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

He reminds me of Dez Bryant, to be honest. If you play him 1-on-1 with the focus on the run heavy offense like the Cowboys, and in this case, the Seahawks, he will have plenty of opportunities to win, IMO.

Because of his frame, his route running looks more jerky than it is, but from what I saw last year, Baldwin and Lockett got plenty of 1-on-1 opportunities to win. So I think he will still be productive. But once they get into the red zone, that is where he has to earn his keep.

22 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He reminds me of Dez Bryant, to be honest. If you play him 1-on-1 with the focus on the run heavy offense like the Cowboys, and in this case, the Seahawks, he will have plenty of opportunities to win, IMO.

Because of his frame, his route running looks more jerky than it is, but from what I saw last year, Baldwin and Lockett got plenty of 1-on-1 opportunities to win. So I think he will still be productive. But once they get into the red zone, that is where he has to earn his keep.

He is way too slow on anything but straight line movement, and idk that he has the contested catch ability that he essentially has to have to be successful. 

19 hours ago, chad72 said:

The frame can affect appearance but the 3 cone drill doesn't lie.  

There is a reason he fell to the very bottom of the 2nd.  Maybe he can improve on this but he's going to have to work on it.  It's not something that is natural to him.

• Like 1

Ehh... He's 6'3", that drill isn't going to be something at which he'll excel. Same for the three cone.

But yes, I agree that he's stiff and has limited lateral agility. He'll never be a good route runner, I don't think. But if he can make plays down the field, and if he can use his body to wall off defenders on digs and comebacks, he'll be a dangerous weapon. I think that's a lot of "ifs," and I'm not as enthralled with the size, speed and build as others are. I'm more drawn to technically proficient receivers with documented production.

Metcalf would have been way down my board. If he was still there late in the fourth, that would have been an acceptable range to me. But he was never going to last that long.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2019 at 8:40 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

For those that haven't seen the videos of DK at Minicamp, go check em out, they're all over Twitter. It's no wonder he ran a 30 second 3 cone, cuz that dude has zero fluidity to his movements. He looked really stiff to me, maybe I'm crazy cuz the media is loving it.  He is going to have to be Randy Moss brilliant on deep balls of he is gonna be successful in this league, or become the endzone threat to end all endzone threats. The WRs running the drills with him looked smooth in comparison,  and some of those guys were UDFA's I'm pretty sure. Anybody on here that's more savvy with how to embed videos, I'd really appreciate it on this post. Thanks. 

I think your description followed by the video you requested sums it up nicely. 

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

(Contract/length aside, just talent) would you give up Funchess for him if their contracts were even? 

Interesting question. I would have to go with Funch since he passed

the Brian Decker testing and was brought on board by Ballard and

his scouts.