Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard should sign Eric Berry.

Signing Eric Berry to a one year deal makes a ton of sense if you're Chris Ballard. The Colts secondary is a young group that lacks veteran leadership and presence. Some people will complain about Eric Berry being injury prone or too old, or the fact that he would be taking snaps away from our young players. Having Berry start alongside Hooker would only benefit our defense and would give guys like Khari Willis a chance to learn from one of the best and not be forced into the starting lineup as a rookie. Chris Ballard already signed two former Chiefs players in Houston and Ware. Eric Berry carries all the characteristics that Chris Ballard loves in his players and also fills a need on the defensive side of the ball. I was on the fence with signing Eric Berry at first, but when Ballard mentioned Marvell Tell will be playing Corner at the next level, I wanted Eric Berry in Indy.

Well, he's a hell of a baller, all world at one point, but it really depends on their true feelings about Geathers.  If he's more often not playing and behind Berry, will we have learned whether he is a longer term answer at SS? How much do people think Berry has in the tank? 

26 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

Well, he's a hell of a baller, all world at one point, but it really depends on their true feelings about Geathers.  If he's more often not playing and behind Berry, will we have learned whether he is a longer term answer at SS? How much do people think Berry has in the tank? 

Eric Berry is an upgrade over Clayton Geathers and I would much rather see Geathers as a backup to add depth over him being a starter. Depth at the SS spot is huge for this team since guys like Geathers can't seem to stay on the field.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has a chronic foot problem. We signed kindred and got Willis. I think we are ok at safety now. From all indications Willis is a guy that can start if you need him to.

I forgot about Kindred. I figured there had to be something wrong with Berry's health that turns Ballard off. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I love EB, but would only want him if he's cheap. Love the thought of his leadership, but not a fan of disrupting development and current leadership if he's only capable of playing spotty.

He wouldn't be expensive and would most likely get a one year contract filled with incentives. Either way, he's off the salary cap books after the 2019 season. 

8 minutes ago, Legend said:

He wouldn't be expensive and would most likely get a one year contract filled with incentives. Either way, he's off the salary cap books after the 2019 season. 

I'm definitely not opposed to it. 

I think he'll end up a 49er though.

We aint signing Berry. Thats just the OP trying to make a super team on the back end. Its kinda clear who they want starting next to Hooker and that is Clayton Geathers. And you can make a pretty reasonable assumption who his backups are. That is George Odum and Khari Willis. And guess who Hookers backups are? Mathias Farley and it wouldnt shock me if Marvell Tell isnt an option also. I doubt Berry gets a call from Indy no matter how much i like him. I see it only if we have some serious injuries on the back end.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Signing Eric Berry to a one year deal makes a ton of sense if you're Chris Ballard. The Colts secondary is a young group that lacks veteran leadership and presence. Some people will complain about Eric Berry being injury prone or too old, or the fact that he would be taking snaps away from our young players. Having Berry start alongside Hooker would only benefit our defense and would give guys like Khari Willis a chance to learn from one of the best and not be forced into the starting lineup as a rookie. Chris Ballard already signed two former Chiefs players in Houston and Ware. Eric Berry carries all the characteristics that Chris Ballard loves in his players and also fills a need on the defensive side of the ball. I was on the fence with signing Eric Berry at first, but when Ballard mentioned Marvell Tell will be playing Corner at the next level, I wanted Eric Berry in Indy.

The colts didn't lure Gathers back from Testing free Agency just so he could be a back up. I really think hes going to have a pro bowl year this season if he can stay healthy of course.

3 hours ago, Legend said:

Eric Berry is an upgrade over Clayton Geathers and I would much rather see Geathers as a backup to add depth over him being a starter. Depth at the SS spot is huge for this team since guys like Geathers can't seem to stay on the field.

First....   Berry and Geathers don't even play the same position.

Berry plays Free,  and Geathers plays strong.

Second...    are you even aware that Berry has played something like 3 games in the last 2 years?  

This one is practically a non-starter.     If it was going to happen, odds are it would've happened by now...    just like we signed Justin Houston long ago....

I expect Ballard to sign more veterans,  but I'd be very surprised if Berry is one of them....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

First....   Berry and Geathers don't even play the same position.

Berry plays Free,  and Geathers plays strong.

Second...    are you even aware that Berry has played something like 3 games in the last 2 years?  

This one is practically a non-starter.     If it was going to happen, odds are it would've happened by now...    just like we signed Justin Houston long ago....

I expect Ballard to sign more veterans,  but I'd be very surprised if Berry is one of them....

Berry is a natural SS and would play SS on the Colts.

I'm aware of his history and the fact he was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2014.

3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

The colts didn't lure Gathers back from Testing free Agency just so he could be a back up. I really think hes going to have a pro bowl year this season if he can stay healthy of course.

That's a big IF.

Clayton Geathers came back to Indy after visiting with the Dallas Cowboys if I recall. He signed a one year deal worth up to $2.75 million. If Ballard was sold on Geathers he would've rewarded him with a multi-year deal. Clayton didn't sign elsewhere because no one was willing to pay him. Clayton may very well start in 2019, but his future beyond that is cloudy. Khari Willis was drafted to be our future starting strong safety.

8 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Any signings after this coming Tuesday don't count for or against you in compensatory draft picks.....

The conclusion to this story will likely reveal itself shortly thereafter!

Because Berry was released by the Chiefs, he wouldn't count in the compensatory calculation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Legend said:

. Khari Willis was drafted to be our future starting strong safety.

I think this is the biggest statement in your post

They traded up to get Willis

If you sign Berry, you dont give Willis the opportunity to develop

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Doubt ballard is crazy about Geathers. He was allowed talking to other teams and when they didn't sign him ballard gave him a very small contract for only 1 year.

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Doubt ballard is crazy about Geathers. He was allowed talking to other teams and when they didn't sign him ballard gave him a very small contract for only 1 year.

I dont think CB would sign a player he wasn't crazy about. As for the 1 year prove it deal I think Ballard just wanted to make sure Geather's could play a full season without getting injured multiple times like last season

13 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Geathers is a box safety nothing more if he has to cover he is screwed cause he is terrible in coverage.

13 hours ago, krunk said:

We aint signing Berry. Thats just the OP trying to make a super team on the back end. Its kinda clear who they want starting next to Hooker and that is Clayton Geathers. And you can make a pretty reasonable assumption who his backups are. That is George Odum and Khari Willis. And guess who Hookers backups are? Mathias Farley and it wouldnt shock me if Marvell Tell isnt an option also. I doubt Berry gets a call from Indy no matter how much i like him. I see it only if we have some serious injuries on the back end.

I don’t think it’s all that clear TBH. They are paying Geathers a contract that, even at full incentives, is still less than Farley’s tender. That doesn’t sound like a guy they are relying on to be the starter all year. They have also picked up another S and drafted (possibly) two more...depending on what they do with Tell...which means they wanted to have plenty of options.

Given that they like to run big nickel, I think there’s room for one more...if Tell is going to be a CB. I don’t know if Berry would be that guy...but it wouldn’t hurt. He would be an upgrade in the base defense paired with Hooker and then you have the other 3 vying for that 3rd spot on nickel and dime packages. And with inevitable injuries, there will be snaps available for everyone. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Ballard didn’t lure him back from FA. He let him test it...and then gave him a cheap one-year deal. 

Geathers has never played remotely close to a Pro Bowl level...aside from a few flashes very early on. I like the optimism...but I can’t share that particular outlook.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think this is the biggest statement in your post

They traded up to get Willis

If you sign Berry, you dont give Willis the opportunity to develop

Of course you do. Colts aren’t in a position where rookies have to start anymore. They can be brought along. If Willis beats out Geathers and Kindred...or if Geathers gets hurt...he is in line to get the nickel and dime snaps right away. 

We don’t yet know what the defense is going to look like. If they continue to run Cover 2...it would be nice to have another S that can cover deep anyways. I don’t think Willis is that guy as a rookie (and maybe not at all)...so Berry isn’t really impeding his development if he is the other deep S in Cover 2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Legend said:

Berry is a natural SS and would play SS on the Colts.

I'm aware of his history and the fact he was diagnosed with lymphoma in 2014.

That's a big IF.

I owe you an apology.   I did some homework, and turns out, Berry has played strong safety and not free since he cane into the league.   My bad.

All these years and I always thought he was a free.   Nope.   Sorry. 

I dont think it means we’re going to sign him, but that’s another story.   

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

I don’t think it’s all that clear TBH. They are paying Geathers a contract that, even at full incentives, is still less than Farley’s tender. That doesn’t sound like a guy they are relying on to be the starter all year. They have also picked up another S and drafted (possibly) two more...depending on what they do with Tell...which means they wanted to have plenty of options.

Given that they like to run big nickel, I think there’s room for one more...if Tell is going to be a CB. I don’t know if Berry would be that guy...but it wouldn’t hurt. He would be an upgrade in the base defense paired with Hooker and then you have the other 3 vying for that 3rd spot on nickel and dime packages. And with inevitable injuries, there will be snaps available for everyone. 

What's unclear about it? You know full well they plan on starting Geathers every game unless injured. They drafted Willis to be behind Geathers and Ballard has said more than once they like George Odum. That's 3 different people, maybe even a 4th of you add Farley. I dont see Berry as a possibility unless there is significant injury. Ballard will let the young guys play.

• Thanks 1

I wouldn't mind signing Berry and trying him out during camp to see if he still has something left in him. I loved him before his injuries and I think he can help this team in a similar way to how 

Mike Mitchell helped last year. + He seems to fit character and attitude-wise. 

It will be interesting what happens past Tuesday... I think that's the date after which the new signings don't count towards the compensatory pick equation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I wouldn't mind signing Berry and trying him out during camp to see if he still has something left in him. I loved him before his injuries and I think he can help this team in a similar way to how 

Mike Mitchell helped last year. + He seems to fit character and attitude-wise. 

It will be interesting what happens past Tuesday... I think that's the date after which the new signings don't count towards the compensatory pick equation. 

I agree he has always been one of my favorite players in the NFL would love to have him here in any way especially if hes healthy! if he is healthy he would easily move Geathers to the bench 

18 hours ago, Legend said:

Funny. I looked for Berry's PFF # for last season and hey, they didn't give him one.
 Chuckle, you have to be on the field to earn one.

4 hours ago, stitches said:

yup, things should heat back up a little. 

really curious to see if we're done, with a significant amount of cap space left.

would love to see one or two more short terms deals so long as they don't impact financials long term.

On 5/5/2019 at 1:14 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I owe you an apology.   I did some homework, and turns out, Berry has played strong safety and not free since he cane into the league.   My bad.

All these years and I always thought he was a free.   Nope.   Sorry. 

I dont think it means we’re going to sign him, but that’s another story.   

Not your fault at all. I'm pretty sure he's listed as an FS on a lot of sites I visited in the past.

23 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Don't think we will sign Eric Berry, But if we can get a short term deal on  Suh as a pass rusher, for a one year contract, at a good price, then I think that would help us this year.  

God, please no.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2019 at 1:37 PM, krunk said:

What's unclear about it? You know full well they plan on starting Geathers every game unless injured. They drafted Willis to be behind Geathers and Ballard has said more than once they like George Odum. That's 3 different people, maybe even a 4th of you add Farley. I dont see Berry as a possibility unless there is significant injury. Ballard will let the young guys play.

Geathers may start the season as the starter due to experience, but no one will be shocked if Khari Willis is the starter by the end of the season.

I think Berry has played strong and free safety throughout his career. When coaches talk about interchangeable safeties, I think Berry is the kind of player they're talking about.

The problem is, I don't know whether Berry can still play. I think it's likely that he's done.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Legend said:

Geathers may start the season as the starter due to experience, but no one will be shocked if Khari Willis is the starter by the end of the season.

You don't really even know if the guy can play. And let's not pretend like Geathers is chopped liver. Geathers might not be perfect, but he's certainly not talentless. I'm pretty certain Geathers is the guy they want in there. I think Willis would really have to perform to take that spot from Clayton.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Superman said:

I think Berry has played strong and free safety throughout his career. When coaches talk about interchangeable safeties, I think Berry is the kind of player they're talking about.

The problem is, I don't know whether Berry can still play. I think it's likely that he's done.

Yeah, my hope is we sign him to a contract similar to what we gave to Austin Howard or Matt Slauson last year... a contract that is big enough to make it worth it for him, but small enough to not be huge deal if we decide to drop him after pre-season if he no longer has it. I don't know how likely it is he signs for about 3M for 1 season? Or will he want more? 

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yeah, my hope is we sign him to a contract similar to what we gave to Austin Howard or Matt Slauson last year... a contract that is big enough to make it worth it for him, but small enough to not be huge deal if we decide to drop him after pre-season if he no longer has it. I don't know how likely it is he signs for about 3M for 1 season? 

I'm okay with passing on him. I think he's probably done, so I don't have any real desire to sign him for any amount of money. I just don't think he can actually help us, at least, not on the field.