Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Day 2 of rookie mini camp

CR91

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think the Colts might have gotten really lucky when KC traded up and selected Hardman and Phiily went with Whiteside. If Ballard and company liked Campbell as much as advertised , they could have considered moving up a bit from 59 ?

256Kansas City ChiefsMecole Hardman WRGeorgiaSECfrom Chicago via New England and LA Rams [R2 - 15]

257Philadelphia EaglesJJ Arcega-Whiteside WRStanfordPac-12

258Dallas CowboysTrysten Hill DTUCFThe American

259Indianapolis ColtsParris Campbell WROhio StateBig Ten

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think the Colts might have gotten really lucky when KC traded up and selected Hardman and Phiily went with Whiteside. If Ballard and company liked Campbell as much as advertised , they could have considered moving up a bit from 59 ?

256Kansas City ChiefsMecole Hardman WRGeorgiaSECfrom Chicago via New England and LA Rams [R2 - 15]

257Philadelphia EaglesJJ Arcega-Whiteside WRStanfordPac-12

258Dallas CowboysTrysten Hill DTUCFThe American

259Indianapolis ColtsParris Campbell WROhio StateBig Ten

Yea am surprised  they picked Hardman over Campbell, but both could be good

I don’t mean to be a killjoy....

But a reminder that these rookies are competing against mostly other rookie and street FAs who are trying to make the 90 man roster...

So their success in these settings is great...   but don’t get too carried away...   there are 31 other NFL rookie camps and some of those kids are doing well there too...

It’s a long,  long spring and summer...   

Just saying...  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

But a reminder that these rookies are competing against mostly other rookie and street FAs who are trying to make the 90 man roster...

So their success in these settings is great...   but don’t get too carried away...   there are 31 other NFL rookie camps and some of those kids are doing well there too...

Just saying...  

I think everyone realizes that. It is still fun. We will see how things go when they are competing against our starters. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think everyone realizes that. It is still fun. We will see how things go when they are competing against our starters. 

Some of our rookies  might be better than our starters  lol

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think teams still get an idea from the mini camps. For instance , the fact that it appears that Campbell can track a deep ball and make plays on an under thrown ball has little to do with who is defending him. It was also said he had very limited route tree . I think a mini camp could also prove or dispel this ?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying...  

:rollseyes:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying...  

It gives the coaches and brass a chance to see what they have and if they need to add a veteran FA

It is about effort and how coachable a player is for the coaches/brain trust

• Like 1

For the fun of it!

Left to Right:

(G) Javon Patterson #65, (LB) E.J. Speed #45, (S) Khari Willis #37, (LB) Ben Banogu #52, (DE) Gerri Green #91, (OT) Jackson Barton #71, (CB) Rock Ya-Sin #34, (LB) Bobby Okereke #58, (WR) Parris Campbell #15, (CB) Marvel Tell III #39.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Douzer said:

For the fun of it!

Left to Right:

(G) Javon Patterson #65, (LB) E.J. Speed #45, (S) Khari Willis #37, (LB) Ben Banogu #52, (DE) Gerri Green #91, (OT) Jackson Barton #71, (CB) Rock Ya-Sin #34, (LB) Bobby Okereke #58, (WR) Parris Campbell #15, (CB) Marvel Tell III #39.

Thanks. 

Barton is  uge!

On 5/3/2019 at 1:46 PM, Flash7 said:

People are going to be wondering how he fell to us and got paired up with Luck. 

Yes, I think so too. I remember a thread about who will be best WR from the draft. Campbell (pre-draft) was not at/near the top on most of those.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Everyone said the best rookie wide receiver will be the one that’s goes to the best QB.

Some did, but most had lists.  Campbell rarely made it near the top.

On 5/3/2019 at 2:09 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Something else to keep in mind. Everyone talks about him having to learn the nfl route tree.  What analysts don’t stop to realize is  maybe some of these kids work on that stuff in their own free time. Just because OSU didnt use him right doesn’t mean he didn’t work on that stuff in his free time.

They do, they know their deficiencies. Here's Campbell's quote-

“I think the question kind of coming out was, ‘Can he run routes?’” Campbell told reporters Friday. “Since I had never done it, everyone just kind of put a no on it. But I mean I’m not going to lie to you, it is something that I needed to work on just because I didn’t have experience. So that was kind of my main focus throughout that whole process. Then having a guy like Coach (Brian) Hartline at Ohio State, who is a technician, was great for me and great for my teammates. So just going in that was kind of my main focus.”

On 5/3/2019 at 2:27 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I saw some of those. Haskins did not do him any favors. They were awful throws.

And yet, Haskins is much better than D. Jones?  Hmmm....

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying...  

ZtnTsS1.jpg

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

And yet, Haskins is much better than D. Jones?  Hmmm....

I guess we'll find out. Haskins will be a starter sooner than Jones, so comparison of their rookie seasons is probably going to be meaningless, and being thrown into the fire too soon as a rookie doesn't always work out well. Check back in a few years. 

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying...  

I repect your realist approach, but cmon its exciting! Paris is going to be good

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 4:13 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying...  

Prior Regime, You bet man but with how CB AND staff knocked the 2018 draft out of the park please don’t attempt to STOP this hype train that’s known as Chris Ballard!!!!  I get it USUALLY, but brother this ain’t USUALLY it’s OK to hype rookies why?  Cuz Chris Ballard said so and when Chuck Norris aka Chris Ballard talks, YOU better LISTEN

On 5/4/2019 at 1:13 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Just saying...  

When people that know football say things like "Paris Cambell got open due to his route running and not his speed" does it really mean that it doesn't mean anything because he's not going against seasoned vets ? He lasted until pick 59 because teams were afraid he was a one trick pony.  

Also , for what it's worth , I did a lot of driving this week and listened to

NFL radio . All they covered was the draft and I heard more than 1 GM say they were crapping their pants waiting for the drafted players to show up at mini camp. They didn't say they could determine if a player was a star. I would be embellishing if I said that. What they did say is they could more or less determine if they goofed in the draft.