Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Antonio Garcia: Diamond in the rough?

Hoose

I took a look at this guy's history. Very interesting. 

He was a 3rd round choice of the Patriots in 2017. They moved up to get him by giving up a 3rd and 4th round pick. 

They hoped he'd be the eventual replacement for Nate Solder. 

He barely played at all as a result of contracting blood Clots in his lungs. The Pats released him. 

The Colts picked him up last season but I haven't seen any information about his performances so far. 

Wouldn't it be something if Garcia turns out to be just as good as the Pats hoped he'd be? Time will tell.

Don't sleep on this guy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been trying to tell folks about him all off-season! In fact, if you look at pics from earlier in the week, he was running with the "Ones" in practice. 

He looks to be back up to 300+ pounds and if so he was a pretty darn good Left Tackle at Troy!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 5/4/2019 at 10:34 AM, Scott Pennock said:

I've been trying to tell folks about him all off-season! In fact, if you look at pics from earlier in the week, he was running with the "Ones" in practice. 

He looks to be back up to 300+ pounds and if so he was a pretty darn good Left Tackle at Troy!

Yes Sir, I remember you and I briefly discussing him on another thread a week or so ago.  I am rooting for him!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:34 AM, Scott Pennock said:

Thanks for keeping him in view

I was worrying about not having any depth at LT

it appears that he had ONE QB hit, no sacks, his last year........  Thats AMAZING from the LT position, even from a smaller college

It appears that he is adding needed muscle, as his area of growth was run blocking

Anxious to see how he works out

Other than QB.... there is NO OTHER SPOT.... where we would be as "cooked" than LT, if there was an injury to the starter

• Thanks 1

This is one of the players I’m most interested in. He played very well at the senior bowl and thought it was a great low risk move for the colts to bring him in last year. 

Hope he returns to form and is completely healthy.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

This is one of the players I’m most interested in. He played very well at the senior bowl and thought it was a great low risk move for the colts to bring him in last year. 

Hope he returns to form and is completely healthy.  

If he’s healthy, him and Barton immediately put Clark on notice. The backup LT spot is completely up for grabs. And with Castonzo in the last year of his contract, they may also want someone they can groom to succeed him.

• Like 1

Blood Clots is a serious condition especially in the lungs. In the NBA Chris Bosh was forced to retire. Brandon Ingram’s season was cut short with a clot under his arm. Had the clot been in Ingram’s lungs he possibly would have had to retire. It is understandable why NE let him go - this can be a life-threatening illness. Here’s praying that he is healthy enough to compete and not taking adverse risks.

• Like 3

I really liked Garcia coming out of college and I was * off he went to the Pats. Then I lost track of him and didn't know he had health problems before ending up with us. He was a pretty good prospect. I remember he was athletic and had great lateral movement... 

This is the type of shots that I love Ballard is taking. He might fulfill his potential or he might flame out, the point is he's a low risk-high reward type of pick up for us. 

• Like 1

Look in the photo gallary "Colts Players Take The Field For Phase II" from earlier this week and look at pic 53 and pic 68.

In 53 he is standing next to Big Q and looks every bit of 300 pounds now.

In 68 he is lined up with the 1st Team O-line at left tackle.....

Perhaps its just coincidence or perhaps none of Castonzo or Clark were there?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, stitches said:

I really liked Garcia coming out of college and I was * off he went to the Pats. Then I lost track of him and didn't know he had health problems before ending up with us. He was a pretty good prospect. I remember he was athletic and had great lateral movement... 

This is the type of shots that I love Ballard is taking. He might fulfill his potential or he might flame out, the point is he's a low risk-high reward type of pick up for us. 

I suggested the guys at StampedeBlue do an article on him, and tell us how he looks when they get to camp.  If he lives up to his potential we will have a very deep line at worst, and maybe a future LT at best. 

On 5/4/2019 at 10:25 AM, Defjamz26 said:

If he’s healthy, him and Barton immediately put Clark on notice. The backup LT spot is completely up for grabs. And with Castonzo in the last year of his contract, they may also want someone they can groom to succeed him.

I still think Castonzo is playing good ball, but he's also one of only 5 players on the roster aged at 30 or older.

I also think Glowinski was our weakest link on the OL last  year and that Braden Smith is really more naturally suited to play G than T.  

I know we signed Glowinski back to a decent contract, but I think he's better off as a depth behind either G position or C.   

I would not be upset of Garcia could be so solid at LT that we had to move Castonzo to RT and put Braden Smith back to RG.  Or if Garcia could take over at RT and move Smith into RG.  

On 5/6/2019 at 7:49 PM, chad72 said:

This is a flier as opposed to any kind of 3 year plan, IMO, with Garcia

We all are just speculating of course, however, Garcia and Ward arecthe only two players Ballard signed to two year deals. He did spend almost the entire season on the PS last year going thru our strength and conditioning programs and learning our schemes. Whether the plan was to see him return to form and re-sign him to a muti-year deal as Castonzo's younger replacement remains to be seen.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 6:40 PM, Scott Pennock said:

We all are just speculating of course, however, Garcia and Ward arecthe only two players Ballard signed to two year deals. He did spend almost the entire season on the PS last year going thru our strength and conditioning programs and learning our schemes. Whether the plan was to see him return to form and re-sign him to a muti-year deal as Castonzo's younger replacement remains to be seen.

After reading up a bit, it sounds like he was medically cleared after his rookie season, but he had lost over 40lbs from not being able to lift or workout with the team, so the Pats just cut their losses. So it sounds like he's healthy, & he's been in our conditioning program for almost a full year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

After reading up a bit, it sounds like he was medically cleared after his rookie season, but he had lost over 40lbs from not being able to lift or workout with the team, so the Pats just cut their losses. So it sounds like he's healthy, & he's been in our conditioning program for almost a full year.

That what I read too, which gives me hope that he’s more than just a camp body.  Of course, we’ve had our share of high draft picks that didn’t pan out.  So I’m not counting on him being a star just because the Patriots picked him so high.  

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That what I read too, which gives me hope that he’s more than just a camp body.  Of course, we’ve had our share of high draft picks that didn’t pan out.  So I’m not counting on him being a star just because the Patriots picked him so high.  

He was also rated the 4th best LT prospect by most of the pundits that year too. So there were plenty of folks high on him.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I’m one of the several people really intrigued by García signing. Low risk potential high reward signing who impressed me at the Senior Bowl. 

I need to rewatch the game but I was trying to pay particular attention to García at LT in the 4Q. My first impression was that he was really inconsistent.  He got beat badly in pass protection a couple of times and on other plays he looked good vs both run and pass. 

Overall disappointed in his performance but definitely want to see him more next week. 

• Like 1

We discussed the suspension quite a bit when it was first announced and although it isn't good to be suspended, it might actually help the colts with roster management at the beginning of the season since he won't count as a roster spot.

Also might give him more time to round back into his predraft form.

https://forums.colts.com/topic/62454-antonio-garcia-failed-ped/?tab=comments#comment-1884825

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2019 at 9:25 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Have no idea why you think Barton is a threat to anyone?    Seems to me he's a prime candiate for the Practice Squad.     Has he shown anything yet? 

I get the excitement over Garcia.    Barton might make the 53,  but he feels like a longshot at this point.    More likely the PS.

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Have no idea why you think Barton is a threat to anyone?    Seems to me he's a prime candiate for the Practice Squad.     Has he shown anything yet? 

I get the excitement over Garcia.    Barton might make the 53,  but he feels like a longshot at this point.    More likely the PS.

Barton struggled last night 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Barton struggled last night 

And he should struggle.     That's no knock on the kid.    But that's a good Buffalo defense with a very good front line and Barton is a 7th round pick from Utah...     That feels like a mismatch.

I appreciate that it was a disappointing game....   and many are disappointed...    (not talking about you,  PT)   but hope we can calm down a bit as it is so, so early and Reich has already made it clear he's much more interested in seeing everyone play,  rather than making sure we win....

Just saying....