Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jordan Thompson, DT Northwestern

Coffeedrinker

There was not much talk about this guy before the draft and no much from Colts fans since they signed him as an UDFA, but this is the UDFA I think has the best chance to make the 53 man roster.  Here is the most thorough write up about him that I have been able to find.

I also watched 3 or 4 Northwestern games this season and Thompson was impressive in all the games.  He has an excellent first step and very strong.  He lacks some size but does make up for it with his tenacity and motor.  Even though he does not have nose tackle size, I think he will probably fill that role, especially on tweener downs where it could as likely be a run or a pass (e.g. 3rd and 4, 4th and 2).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting him to be a starter but I think there is going to be a spot on the roster for a guy who was considered the best interior run defender in the Big 10, a conference that is still known for running the ball.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You hit the nail on the head, CD, this is the guy I badly want to impress the coaches and make the roster. I would be happy if he even makes it as a rotational guy. 

I want another NT type. I fear the D line will wear down with undersized players taking a beating. Depth will be key. It would be great if this guy pans out. But it wouldn't break my heart to see a FA signing as well. One way or another, gotta have another big dude in the middle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, Hoose said:

I want another NT type. I fear the D line will wear down with undersized players taking a beating. Depth will be key. It would be great if this guy pans out. But it wouldn't break my heart to see a FA signing as well. One way or another, gotta have another big dude in the middle. 

I'm not sure you're going to get what you want.  I think that if Ballard/Reich/Eberflus agreed a move would have already been made by now.

1 hour ago, J@son said:

I'm not sure you're going to get what you want.  I think that if Ballard/Reich/Eberflus agreed a move would have already been made by now.

A lot can happen between now and the season opener. If there is a FA guy out there, his window of opportunity will continue to close before then.