Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB Chad Kelly at Rookie mini camp

CR91

If Kelly wasn't a complete knucklehead he'd be atleast a backup on an NFL team. I've always been a big fan of his as a prospect but he's never been able to stay out of trouble. Hopefully he has matured but I wouldn't bet on it. He would beat out Phillip Walker in a heartbeat for that #3/PS spot. 

38 minutes ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

If Kelly wasn't a complete knucklehead he'd be atleast a backup on an NFL team. I've always been a big fan of his as a prospect but he's never been able to stay out of trouble. Hopefully he has matured but I wouldn't bet on it. He would beat out Phillip Walker in a heartbeat for that #3/PS spot. 

That is the way I feel

Well.... you know how the Ballard team operates. He will be thoroughly scrutinized before being signed. If he passes the screening process, he will be prepped as the new backup to Luck  next year. Brissett is gone in 2020. He’ll get a chance somewhere to start and will bring a nice comp pick back to the Colts. 

Heres something no one has mentioned. He is the nephew of Jim Kelly. Well guess who knows his uncle better than anyone? Frank Reich. So i would imagain their paths have crossed a few times and Reich likely has a better understanding of this kid than anyone else in the organization.

• Like 2

CK is one of three QB tryouts this weekend with Keller Chryst from Tennessee formerly of Stanford and a kid out of NM Highlands

1 minute ago, twfish said:

Heres something no one has mentioned. He is the nephew of Jim Kelly. Well guess who knows his uncle better than anyone? Frank Reich. So i would imagain their paths have crossed a few times and Reich likely has a better understanding of this kid than anyone else in the organization.

That probably helped

• Thanks 1

If you watched any Ole Miss games the kid can make all the throws and he can run.

He also earned his was up the depth chart at Denver before the whole Halloween party shenanigans.....

If he's back on track, sign him and stash him on the PS ALL YEAR and see if he can maintain his maturity level - much like they did with Jalen Collins last year!

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

If you watched any Ole Miss games the kid can make all the throws and he can run.

He also earned his was up the depth chart at Denver before the whole Halloween party shenanigans.....

If he's back on track, sign him and stash him on the PS ALL YEAR and see if he can maintain his maturity level - much like they did with Jalen Collins last year!

15 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Dungy helped Vick’s career.  Reich helping Kelly’s career? we are probably  his last shot at it. 

I concur.  The kid has talent and potential and we know Brissett is likely gone after this season.  Why not take a flyer on him and see if he has his head on straight?  If so, we might have a decent back up QB to continue to groom.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

I concur.  The kid has talent and potential and we know Brissett is likely gone after this season.  Why not take a flyer on him and see if he has his head on straight?  If so, we might have a decent back up QB to continue to groom.  

a low price tag would make the risk more palatable. 

hope this kid realizes he's walking on thin ice and grows up.

luck i'm sure would be a good influence. he could join andrew's book club...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Irish YJ said:

a low price tag would make the risk more palatable. 

hope this kid realizes he's walking on thin ice and grows up.

luck i'm sure would be a good influence. he could join andrew's book club...

If he doesn't know he's on thin ice then he's likely got more issues than we already know about. I can agree with other posters in the fact that Reich's influence likely made this a possibility. I really really hope this works out.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Lol, I was going to post something very similar!  I completely agree!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Gilbert said:

If he doesn't know he's on thin ice then he's likely got more issues than we already know about. I can agree with other posters in the fact that Reich's influence likely made this a possibility. I really really hope this works out.

This is like his 4th chance after 3 or 4 "incidents". 

Reich needs to say "hey dude, no drinking, no stupid stuff, and by the way, Andrew needs someone to organize his weekly book club meetings. Make sure you read A Girl Named Zippy and others on the list before next Friday. I'll look forward to your weekly book reports"

This is the PERFECT scenario to humble him before signing him to.

Already drafted into the league, earned his way to number 2 on the depth chart and subsequently * it away.

Bring him in with a 100 rookies and make him earn it by showing maturity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, twfish said:

Ha...

I've said that regardless of the kids last name, i hope the Colts cut him (or dont officially sign him as it stands)!!!

But you are correct, its not too hard to connect those dots between Kelly & Reich, so maybe Reich would have more insight into the kid...

Can/will he mature?  I hope so.  I don't know why some talented QB's can't keep their head on right ( Lauletta, Kelly, etc... ) off the field?  Evidently they can on the field, yes?

Brian Decker will know all about him over time, and the risk/reward ratio.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Miller said:

I bet Kelly makes the team.

I'm with you, though by makes the team I'll bet he gets put on the 90 man roster and then gets stashed on the practice squad all year.

I he, or any other tryout players from this weekend get signed, a cut has to be made as they are at 90 already. May see some of the fluff from the WR, OL and DB groups get picked off!

Nothing wrong with kicking the tires.

He does have talent and it's not like the Colts or anyone is going out on a limb for him.

The only point I would like to make is he is no kid anymore. It's time for him to put the big boy pants on now. He has his chance and that is more than some other team will give him.

2 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

I'm with you, though by makes the team I'll bet he gets put on the 90 man roster and then gets stashed on the practice squad all year.

I he, or any other tryout players from this weekend get signed, a cut has to be made as they are at 90 already. May see some of the fluff from the WR, OL and DB groups get picked off!

Exactly....

He makes the the Practice Squad replacing Walker.

Brissett remains the back-up.     Just 2 QB's on the 53.

Then,  after the 19 season,  either Brissett stays as a high priced back-up,  or he goes elsewhere and Kelly steps in to the back-up roll.     A year of eating humble pie as the PS QB would be a good faith demonstration by Kelly that he's got his act together.    Then,  he might turn into a decent back-up.

Win-win for everyone.    My favorite outcome!      :thmup:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/05/colts-add-four-after-rookie-minicamp-but-not-chad-kelly/

Colts add four after rookie minicamp, but not Chad Kelly

Posted by Darin Gantt on May 5, 2019, 1:48 PM EDT

The Colts took advantage of their free look at some rookies this weekend, and found a few they liked.

The team announced the addition of four undrafted rookies who stood out in their minicamp.

The signings were: Kicker Cole Hedlund, defensive tackle Sterling Shippy, cornerback Shakial Taylor, and linebacker Tre Thomas.

To make room for them on the roster, they waived kicker Clayton Hatfield, cornerback Chris Rayford, and defensive end Anthony Winbush.

Of course, that announcement suggests they did not feel like keeping quarterback Chad Kelly, at least not yet. The former Broncos seventh-rounder was also in camp on a tryout basis this weekend.