Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How does the whole retired/jersey thing go?

Dark Superman

I know every team has a list of retired numbers and I get that. But can someone explain to me why people can wear Freeney's 93 but no one has worn Mathis' 98? Even guys like Harrison and Wayne never officially had their jerseys retired but still, no one has ever worn them after they left? Are these numbers off limits or something?

Neither Freeney or Mathis's numbers have been retired, its a pretty select group...not even sure Freeney or Mathis will ever be a part of, Harrison should eventually and Wayne maybe.

Every team does it how they feel.  Raiders, Cowboys, Falcons do not retire numbers. Steelers only do so on extremely rare occasion. Jags, Texans and Ravens are yet to retire any numbers.

Heres the Colts retired numbers.

-Peyton Manning 18

-Johnny Unitas 19

-Buddy young 22

-Lenny Moore 24

-Art Donavan 70

-Jim Parker 77

-Raymond Berry 82

-Gino Marchetti 89

to answer your question no i dont think they are off limits

2 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

Neither Freeney or Mathis's numbers have been retired, its a pretty select group...not even sure Freeney or Mathis will ever be a part of, Harrison should eventually and Wayne maybe.

Every team does it how they feel.  Raiders, Cowboys, Falcons do not retire numbers. Steelers only do so on extremely rare occasion. Jags, Texans and Ravens are yet to retire any numbers.

Heres the Colts retired numbers.

-Peyton Manning 18

-Johnny Unitas 19

-Buddy young 22

-Lenny Moore 24

-Art Donavan 70

-Jim Parker 77

-Raymond Berry 82

-Gino Marchetti 89

to answer your question no i dont think they are off limits

I find it hard to believe no one that played after both Wayne and Harrison ever wanted their jersey numbers. I remember the Colts flat out refused to allow Hakeem Nicks to wear 88. I think it's something Irsay talked about with guys like Marvin and Reggie because Irsay wants to retire their numbers down the road. 

I hate the whole retired numbers thing, especially when the Colts have a bunch of retired number from over 50 years ago and way before they even came to Indianapolis. I would love to see guys wear 22,24, and 82, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Legend said:

I find it hard to believe no one that played after both Wayne and Harrison ever wanted their jersey numbers. I remember the Colts flat out refused to allow Hakeem Nicks to wear 88. I think it's something Irsay talked about with guys like Marvin and Reggie because Irsay wants to retire their numbers down the road. 

I hate the whole retired numbers thing, especially when the Colts have a bunch of retired number from over 50 years ago and way before they even came to Indianapolis. I would love to see guys wear 22,24, and 82, etc.

Its quite possible that Irsay plans on retiring 88 thats why nobody has worn it, maybe he does plan on retiring 83, 98 and 87 as well...i wouldn't be surprised. The Colts amount of retired numbers is high compared to the rest of the league.

As far as the 50 year old numbers go i tend to agree with you. The Baltimore Colts history should be enshrined in a Baltimore museum or at the new Ravens stadium or something and the Colts should have begun a new history...but many will argue the differ.

• Thanks 1

personally I think retired numbers should also be position specific.  In other words, no other QB could wear 18, but if a WR or kicker wanted to, sure let them.  Might get a little tricky with tweener TE/WR and DE/OLB type players though.

That or just do away with retiring numbers and stick to the Ring of Honor banners.

34 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

Its quite possible that Irsay plans on retiring 88 thats why nobody has worn it, maybe he does plan on retiring 83, 98 and 87 as well...i wouldn't be surprised. The Colts amount of retired numbers is high compared to the rest of the league.

As far as the 50 year old numbers go i tend to agree with you. The Baltimore Colts history should be enshrined in a Baltimore museum or at the new Ravens stadium or something and the Colts should have begun a new history...but many will argue the differ.

Better go back and rework the Rams p, Raiders, Chargers and Cardinals then

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

haha ....i know, i am aware that the history stays with the team wherever they go, thats the way it is, has been, and probably will always be. That doesn't mean i agree, IMO the history should stay in the city.

2 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

haha ....i know, i am aware that the history stays with the team wherever they go, thats the way it is, has been, and probably will always be. That doesn't mean i agree, IMO the history should stay in the city.

History does stay in the City

Retired Numbers are a sign of respect for what players have done for an organization 

• Like 1

I know it would probably be unpopular/considered super disrespectful, but I wonder if Irsay will ever consider un-retiring some numbers.

I mean I doubt he ever will but CB's and RB's already have kind of slim pickings since they share the same group of #'s, and usually have to end up picking "ugly" numbers so to speak. And if we ever retire 88 and/or 87 then WR's will also have very slim pickings. Not to mention if we ever retire Freeney and/or Mathis.

8 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I know it would probably be unpopular/considered super disrespectful, but I wonder if Irsay will ever consider un-retiring some numbers.

I mean I doubt he ever will but CB's and RB's already have kind of slim pickings since they share the same group of #'s, and usually have to end up picking "ugly" numbers so to speak. And if we ever retire 88 and/or 87 then WR's will also have very slim pickings. Not to mention if we ever retire Freeney and/or Mathis.

Or and I know Irsay would never do this but just have Indianapolis Colts numbers retired which should just be only four in 18, 88, 87, and 93.

54 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Since TEs can wear 40s the choices aren’t too slim

5 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

It's already like that.  There is a museum for the Baltimore era there.  I think they even have the old Colts players names up . But the Ravens are not the Colts and never will be as bad as some dont want it to be so.  The players played for this franchise.  Lot of Baltimore/Indy Colts fans on here.  The Rams, Raiders, Cardinals , etc . have all moved and kept their franchise histories. The only reason the Browns got theirs back was because the league forced Modell to sell the franchise records back.   When you go off saying that past doesn't matter , it may not to you , you were never a Baltimore Colts fan. If the Colts records and logo , unis were sold back to Baltimore in 83 or 4 I would still be a Baltimore Colts fan , but that's not how it went down. Many here root for the logo , the franchise.  Just be happy you inherited one  of the coolest uniforms in sports.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

History does stay in the City

Retired Numbers are a sign of respect for what players have done for an organization 

Yeah, nobody is claiming Baltimore glory in Indy.  Except the fans who bridged both cities.  But the history and logo are rightful property of the owner to do whatever the hell he wants too with.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

The history never leaves the city.  What ? 

4 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Do the Decatur Staleys get their records back ? Man, the concept of a continuous business and records escapes so many.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Do the Decatur Staleys get their records back ? Man, the concept of a continuous business and records escapes so many.  

Exactly!  I see by your Avatar that you are like me and rooted for them in both cities.  

My thought is always been you going to get to a point eventually where you have to reuse numbers. That's why team use numbers 10 through 19 for receivers. Most team keep five or six receivers and of course three or four tight ends eventually those numbers are going to dry up and they will have to allow single digit numbers for receivers in the regular season. I understand putting someone in the Ring of Honor but also taking that number off of the rotation will eventually cause an issue