Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early looks at TC competition

CR91

Ya-sin vs Wilson

Desir and Moore have two spots locked already, but as do many defenses, we're in nickel a lot. To wilson's credit, he was playing a lot better down the stretch, but not the impact player the colts were hoping for imo. That being said, Wilson in the dime against a team's 4th wr gives us an advantage imo.

Willis vs Geathers

Geathers is one injury way imo from losing his job to Willis. Willis seems to have been drafted with the idea that he can basically do everything Geathers can do, but also line up against RBs and TEs.  

Okereke vs Walker

This will be a heck of a battle imo. Colts seem to really like Okereke and seem to wanna see how well him and Leonard play together. I personally like Walker, I think he is very steadily from what he brings to the defense, but doesn't mean hes not replaceable with someone better. 

Speed vs Adams

This really isn't a competition per say since Banogu is gonna be moved around a lot in this defense, but Adams's Sam spot is basically in jeopardy along with a spot on the team if he can't beat out E.J Speed. 

Cain vs Pascal vs Rogers vs Fountain

Only two of those wrs, maybe three are making the team. 

Hairston vs Collins

Not sure if we even keep either of them. It will come down to how many DBs we want to keep and how well Tell performs in TC. I can see us keeping 4 safeties in Geathers, Hooker, Willis, Farley/Odum and 5 CBs Desir, Ya-sin, Moore, Wilson, Tell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO the SAM spot is all but taken by Banogu... he needs to look especially inept at the position for him to not take about 100% of the snaps at SAM. The problem is that there aren't all that many SAM snaps - only about 30-35% of the snaps have 3d linebacker(SAM) on the field. If he gets 15-20% of snaps at EDGE (on 3d downs and passing situations in general) that would make for pretty good snapcount overall for him. 

IMO the Speed vs Adams vs Franklin vs Moore battle is for roster spots more than for starting spot. 

Okereke vs Walker will be fascinating. 

Overall... I love what Ballard has done with this roster. We are getting closer and closer to the point where I would be upset when we lose some players at cut down day. There is legit competition not just for snaps but for spot on the roster too. I love it. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Coltsfan66 said:

Anyone have any thoughts on NT?  It looks as it is between Hunt and Stewart, with Hunt having the leg up, imo.  I don't see anyone currently on the roster that can compete with them?

Its gonna be interchangeable, but I can see Hunt and Stewart playing together on run downs and the colts bring in Autry and Lewis on passing downs.

At WR, I think it's more like

Cain vs Funchess vs Pascal vs Fountain at X

and 

Campbell vs Rogers at Slot but I think both are very safe. 

At LB, I think all new adds are projects, so I see competion for depth, and situational, not starters.

At S, same as LB. 

I could see Rock challenging for starter reps early.

Ware vs Williams (and maybe Wilkins) is pretty interesting, but I think Williams is odd man out or sent to the practice squad.

DL - I think we'll see a ton of movement here with Houston coming in. I hope they don't make Banogu try to learn multiple positions and multiple situational spots early on. Give him a bunch of technique coaching, and pick a spot for him to concentrate on.

TE will be fierce this year, as I don't see both Ebron and Doyle extended (unless Doyle is a bargain) at the end of the season.

The UT position which IMO is the deepest position on the team is going to be very interesting.   Autry. Ward. Lewis along with Hunt and Turay at times.  

I always wonder why people + so much about our DT position.   Unless they are talking strictly NT then I’d agree.   But this group at 3 tech.  Is talented and deep 

4 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

The UT position which IMO is the deepest position on the team is going to be very interesting.   Autry. Ward. Lewis along with Hunt and Turay at times.  

I always wonder why people + so much about our DT position.   Unless they are talking strictly NT then I’d agree.   But this group at 3 tech.  Is talented and deep 

I havent seen the colts kick Turay inside unless I missed something which could happen. My wife always says id miss the milk when im staring right at it haha 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think Rock Ya Sin will overtake Wilson

Imo, the colts wanna do more of a cover 3 defense like the seahawks did. Have a big corner on one side to matchup with bigger wrs, and on the other side play man with their top wr with the coverage on the backside. I can see Willis or Tell on the backside with Hooker to really make it difficult for QBs to push the pass down the field. 

• Like 1