Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

With The Next Pick: "The Colts Are On The Clock"

Scott Pennock

Wow. Shoutout to the newly assembled production team for that series, especially that last episode. And to our FO as well, allowing them in the War Room to get that in depth of a look behind the scenes. Fascinating stuff.

And as much as you can't say enough about Ballard, definitely seems like Dodds has a future in this league as a GM. I know his name's already popped up in possible openings but I won't be surprised if he gets looked at even more this next offseason.

Also, cool to see how much our FO/scouts and Reich himself loved our first 4 picks. I've been on record in thinking it's a pretty raw group, but if they hit their ceilings, watch out.

• Like 5

Whoooo! So much good about that video, where to begin!? Frank Reich walking around, absolutely fired up, high fiving everybody, "4 for 4! 4 for 4!"...smiling ear to ear because he's an offensive guru and he landed Parris freakin' Campbell at 59...tell me this man isn't passionate about being the head coach of the Indianapolis Colts! That passion man, that's what is gonna take us to the top! Not only did they get their 4, they got, in all likelihood, a high 2nd rounder next year! How about their reaction to Pat McAfee? Haha love that dude, he and Reggie killed it man. What we just saw on that video...that's passion, and that's dedication. That right there is how you land 2 Pro Bowl players and a starting lineman in your drafts (in their first damn season!). This nucleus is special, and it's getting ready to start paying dividends y'all! I'm ready for THIS ride, lesssgoooo!

• Like 4

That was so intense and something I’ve always wanted to see.  The call from Washington to trade and the discussion of it asking everyone if they agreed.  So cool to be shown that.  

I would have loved to see polian in his day too. 

Also that they watch pat macafee announce the pick was awesome 

• Like 1

Obviously, they could have edited it out, but it didn't look to me like there was much debate about moving out of the first round.  That would mean they didn't believe there was value staying at 26 and Sweat was off their board.

The staff's reaction to McAfee was very funny.

• Like 1

What a great series. Stuff like this is what gets fans engaged and connected to the team. I love what Ed Dodds said in one of the episodes.

He said something along the lines of 'We're not smarter than other teams. But we'll outwork them'.

Shows the level of humility yet confidence in this FO group. Confidence backed by hard work is the best type of confidence one can have IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loved the vid. Great production. Doesn't really give us any insight though to the secret sauce. We saw exactly what they wanted us to see. Sure they got their guys, but a lot of guys I'm sure were "underlined". I'm sure there was a lot more debate and discussion than what was shown. I could only really take two things from it. 1) they were happy to trade back from the first all along (which tells me even their "8" was not a serious eight), and 2) they had planed on a CB and WR early all along. 

wow, what a show, what a glimpse into actual draft-time war-room activity.  I have never seen it so real.  very impressed.  I feel like i went through that whole thing with them.  Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.....that's right.  i'm going to the clubs..... i will drink for them, they deserve.  i'm only lucky because im the one who gets to drink.  What a draft....again, what a draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for posting Scott.  This was gold for us fans.  We got a rare look at some of the war room process.  We can feel as invested in the new players as the staff themselves.  This is groundbreaking material and we're doing it first.  This is a great day to be a Colts fan.

What a great owner the Colts have in Jim Irsay. He doesn't interfere, and let's Ballard do his thing. That cannot be understated enough how important that is. 

I love how down to earth everyone is saying "man" after everything. What a great front office this team has. 

MAN I'M HYPED!!! This was awesome, thanks for posting! 

5 hours ago, stitches said:

You can see Reich was scared he will lose Campbell when they picked Banogu with the 49 pick and then was super hyped Parris fell to our next pick :D 

Also:

Would you have done that trade? 

It's very tempting but Ya-Sin probably wasn't going to last til 46.

The way Reich was acting it seemed like they got a bunch of guys they were targeting.  I'm guessing they valued getting Ya-Sin over the extra 3rd round pick.

Seeing our coach that excited about the players that were added should, in my opinion, ease the minds of those who have doubts about our draft class. This is the guy who is most directly affected by the players who are chosen and he is amped, running around the room giving out high fives! If he believes in who Ballard and the boys added then I think that should ease the minds of the armchair GM's who are doubting this class. I know for some people it won't mean a thing, but it said a lot to me that Coach Reich was that pumped over who we added in the draft.

• Like 1

Really interesting video! Even though this draft looks underwhelming to some, they were ecstatic that they got who they wanted.  Competition and depth on defense and the Oline and a difference maker at WR.

It’s a long season. Injuries happen. If (God forbid) a starting player goes down, there’s depth to get us through a few games. It seems like “starter” really only pertains nowadays to certain positions anyway.

And if guys like Walker, Adams, Rogers,Wilkins or Wilson get beat out, they become the depth (if they make the 53).

It's so funny how the worm has turned.  Last year a couple big media outlets gave the Colts C minus grades (SI and USA Today).

I think after the way the 18 draft turned out, if Ballard were to draft 8 guys from Whatsamatta U, they would have given him an A+.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

One of my takeaway was that Hollywood Brown was not who they wanted at 26.  There was discussion on here that he was the target and then when he went at 25, they decided to move down.  In the video, they clearly started talking to Washington before the pick of Brown was announced in their war room.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stitches said:

Would you have done that trade? 

That was a strong deal, but they really wanted Rock. 

I imagine if they did it, they would have taken Okereke at #77, and then at #89 they could have taken Jamel Dean (knee issues) or Chauncy Gardner Johnson (still surprised he went so late), or Julian Love. Or maybe they could have taken Iman Marshall and Marvell tell, and kept them together. And those are just the DBs. I like several lineman in that range, Hakeem Butler was still there, Maxx Crosby, Bryce Love, Dawson Knox, etc. 

I would have been okay with that trade, on paper. But I'm really pleased with Rock, and what that pick signifies.

My favorite part was after the draft where Ballard was explaining that getting his guys was just step one.

Now it’s up to the entire organization, from administrative staff, to trainers, to coaches, and finally, the veteran players to get these new guys acclimated to the NFL. They have to teach them how to be professionals and also get them to achieve their full potential. It’s up to ALL of them, including the rookies, for the Colts to have continued success.

That is the right mindset. It’s a collective effort and not just up to the rookies to figure it out.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

One of my takeaway was that Hollywood Brown was not who they wanted at 26.  There was discussion on here that he was the target and then when he went at 25, they decided to move down.  In the video, they clearly started talking to Washington before the pick of Brown was announced in their war room.  

Yeah, I think the one they really wanted was Simmons. But he went 19 to the Titans and they seemed to not be even in serious consideration about whether to trade or pick somebody. It looked like trade all the way. Or maybe just the editing made it seem so. :dunno:

6 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

What a great owner the Colts have in Jim Irsay. He doesn't interfere, and let's Ballard do his thing. That cannot be understated enough how important that is. 

I love how down to earth everyone is saying "man" after everything. What a great front office this team has. 

MAN I'M HYPED!!! This was awesome, thanks for posting! 

And only interjects “ hey man, you ready to play some defense for us!” After the picks