Jump to content
stitches

PFF: Indianapolis Colts 2019 Draft Recap

Recommended Posts

 

Highlights:

- The Colts have a type of player they like on defense - long athletes

- not much reading - reaction and speed paramount, that's what they target

- Rock Ya-Sin - fits well with the system, worried about his mirror ability downfield - not an issue in this system. Instincts as good as it gets at the position. 

-Ben Banogu - project at this point, fits the mold of what the Colts want - freakishly athletic. Here's a nugget - Banogu told PFF in the pre-draft process that they didn't teach them pass-rushing moves at TCU - it was scheme over pass-rush. He was asked to stunt and loop... not a lot of one-on-one pass-rush reps. 

-Parris Campbell - their least favorite pick of the first 4-5 picks. Very redundant with TY Hilton according to Renner. Best role from the slot, not a real deep threat right now[this is the precise thing I've been saying I have a problem with PFF for in their college-to-NFL projection. They lack the imagination and are extremely conservative projecting players to do something they haven't seen them do in college, even if their skillset and athleticism suggest they might be able to do it). A lot of tools, but don't see him as a #2 receiver in this offense. 

- Bobby Okereke - longest arms of this LB draft class, reminiscent of Darius Leonard and will fit seamlessly next to him and make plays with his athleticism and length.

- Marvell Tell - possible cornerback transition with how fluid his hips are and how athletic and long he is (ridiculous 3cone). He makes some plays that require short-area quickness that are special. 

-Jackson Barton - did very well on must-pass situations, good pass-protector

 

UHIUTKP.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, stitches said:

 

Highlights:

- The Colts have a type of player they like on defense - long athletes

- not much reading - reaction and speed paramount, that's what they target

- Rock Ya-Sin - fits well with the system, worried about his mirror ability downfield - not an issue in this system. Instincts as good as it gets at the position. 

-Ben Banogu - project at this point, fits the mold of what the Colts want - freakishly athletic. Here's a nugget - Banogu told PFF in the pre-draft process that they didn't teach them pass-rushing moves at TCU - it was scheme over pass-rush. He was asked to stunt and loop... not a lot of one-on-one pass-rush reps. 

-Parris Campbell - their least favorite pick of the first 4-5 picks. Very redundant with TY Hilton according to Renner. Best role from the slot, not a real deep threat right now[this is the precise thing I've been saying I have a problem with PFF for in their college-to-NFL projection. They lack the imagination and are extremely conservative projecting players to do something they haven't seen them do in college, even if their skillset and athleticism suggest they might be able to do it). A lot of tools, but don't see him as a #2 receiver in this offense. 

- Bobby Okereke - longest arms of this LB draft class, reminiscent of Darius Leonard and will fit seamlessly next to him and make plays with his athleticism and length.

- Marvell Tell - possible cornerback transition with how fluid his hips are and how athletic and long he is (ridiculous 3cone). He makes some plays that require short-area quickness that are special. 

-Jackson Barton - did very well on must-pass situations, good pass-protector

 

UHIUTKP.jpg

 

There are plenty of highlights of Campbell going deep.  Maybe that's not what OSU did with him most of the time but he has the ability to stretch a defense.  

 

And so what if he's redundant with TY.   TY's got 2 years left on his contract and is turning 30 this year.  Bringing in a guy who could potentially replace him but with a few years in which he can safely develop (because we still have TY) makes loads of sense.  

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol The Parris Campbell take. He is probably the one who has the best chance to succeed with the colts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Banogu numbers..

2018

57 Tkl. 18 TFL.  8.5 Sk.  10 QBH. 2 FF.

60 QB Pressures

 

2017

49 Tkl.  16.5 TFL. 8.5 Sk. 7 QBH. 3 FF.

 

All of that was scheme and very little technique. Imagine what he's going to do with technique + scheme!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewEra said:

It's hard to take a dude with a manbun serious

Thas the truth

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

The beauty of Campbell is that he’s NOT small.   He’s not Hilton's size.   

 

Parris is 6’0” and 205.

 

Hilton is 5’10” and 180.

 

In the football world those two are not the same.   

Yep, I don't know why people in the media continue to call him small... he's not small. He's bigger than players like Stefon Diggs or OBJ or Antonio Brown... 

 

He's VERY VERY well built receiver...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting factoid on Campbell...   I read somewhere last week that of the 90 passes he caught last year (yes, 90!)  only 21 traveled further than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Just 21!  Yikes, that’s not much. 

 

But I view that as good news, not bad. That’s why he fell to pick 59.

 

At the presser,  Reich said he made it a point to watch Campbell at the Combine and focused on both his rout running and his catching.   Said he came away very impressed.    

 

So, PC is raw.   And needs polishing.  With his physical skills that gives him a super high ceiling.   He can get a lot better.   I’ll take that at pick 59 on every draft, thank you very much!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting factoid on Campbell...   I read somewhere last week that of the 90 passes he caught last year (yes, 90!)  only 21 traveled further than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Just 21!  Yikes, that’s not much. 

 

But I view that as good news, not bad. That’s why he fell to pick 59.

 

At the presser,  Reich said he made it a point to watch Campbell at the Combine and focused on both his rout running and his catching.   Said he came away very impressed.    

 

So, PC is raw.   And needs polishing.  With his physical skills that gives him a super high ceiling.   He can get a lot better.   I’ll take that at pick 59 on every draft, thank you very much!

 

That's a PFF stat... and it's actually even crazier than you remember... it's out of his 111 targets only 21 were with depth of target of 10+ yards. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah on Parris' size, he and Marlon are pretty similar in size. Marlon's just a tad bit heavier, or at least wants to keep his playing weight at 210. Not that Mack is a huge guy at RB, but still.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah on Parris' size, he and Marlon are pretty similar in size. Marlon's just a tad bit heavier, or at least wants to keep his playing weight at 210. Not that Mack is a huge guy at RB, but still.

Honestly Parris looks like he could take some snaps in the backfield with Marlon.  He definitely is built like a Runing Back.  Not hard to see that's what he used to be at one point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Honestly Parris looks like he could take some snaps in the backfield with Marlon.  He definitely is built like a Runing Back.  Not hard to see that's what he used to be at one point.

He was a running back in high school I think...

 

He was also used on all kinds of sweeps and screens and other catch-and-run opportunities, which are glorified RB snaps... those were part of the reason his average depth of target was so low(I think about 4 yards) - because he was getting a ton of his targets at or behind the line of scrimmage. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a terrible take by PFF, and I am a big fan of PFF. That’s basically like the Browns saying ‘we already have Jarvis Landry, why would we want OBJ?’ Campbell has a strong grade from them, he’s one of the fastest in the draft, and he wasn’t even used as a deep threat at OSU. He projects better to the NFL game than any of our other draft picks. 

 

If anything the project edge rusher who graded out average, was drafted in the second round, and is being moved to a different role should be their least favorite draft pick. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so Campbell is "Very redundant with TY Hilton..." How is it a bad thing when you force your opponent to cover TWO TY Hiltons? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw plenty of Campbell highlights that show him going deep. I don’t think he will have a issue after a little learning curve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see PC as redundant at all.  TY is going to be working the mid to deep parts of the field and constantly threatening to take the top off the D.   

Our other receivers and tight ends are going to be occupying the safeties and linebackers across the middle of the field.  PC is going to potentially do either or will even be coming out from the backfield like Mack or take very shallow crossing routes just past the LOS and using his speed and YAC abilities. 

 

Reich is going to have a lot of fun working with all of these options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting factoid on Campbell...   I read somewhere last week that of the 90 passes he caught last year (yes, 90!)  only 21 traveled further than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Just 21!  Yikes, that’s not much. 

 

Those are the plays that NE and KC rode all the way to the AFC championship.   Reich likes those mid-level passes too.  High completion rate and keeps Luck clean.  We're gonna lay on teams what KC did to us last year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I think they might have been a tiny bit too critical, PC is raw, and his route tree is limited. And they did say he's not really a deep threat "yet", which likely means to me they think he can be after he polishes some things.

 

He called Banogu a project, which I think is fair. 

 

Overall I didn't think it was that bad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Those are the plays that NE and KC rode all the way to the AFC championship.   Reich likes those mid-level passes too.  High completion rate and keeps Luck clean.  We're gonna lay on teams what KC did to us last year.

Hill killed us in the KC game with those kind of passes. He didn’t beat us deep at all. Campbell is the same type of player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This draft may actually be better than last years. I have that feeling.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, krunk said:

This draft may actually be better than last years. I have that feeling.

That would be crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, krunk said:

This draft may actually be better than last years. I have that feeling.

That would be crazy!

What i like is Ballard seems to define what skills and traits are needed and he targets players to fill that role.  The past regime seemed to say " wow, thats a great player, i'll draft him and figure out how to use him later."

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That would be crazy.

Haha.  Great minds think alike!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, krunk said:

This draft may actually be better than last years. I have that feeling.

Eh let’s not count the chicks before they hatch. I like our catch but they still have to live up to this post draft hype

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Eh let’s not count the chicks before they hatch. I like our catch but they still have to live up to this post draft hype

I said I have a feeling.  Feelings aren't based on facts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, krunk said:

This draft may actually be better than last years. I have that feeling.

 

I think it’ll be less stellar than last years but a little better than Ballard’s first draft. I’m probably in the minority in thinking this class is kind of raw as a whole, with a high ceiling of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

 

I think it’ll be less stellar than last years but a little better than Ballard’s first draft. I’m probably in the minority in thinking this class is kind of raw as a whole, with a high ceiling of course.

I agree. I’m not talking about the colts picks either. Rather the entire prospect class was rather underwhelming and that resulted in some false hype. I think we’re gonna see a lot of busts out of this class league wide

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I don't see PC as redundant at all.  TY is going to be working the mid to deep parts of the field and constantly threatening to take the top off the D.   

Our other receivers and tight ends are going to be occupying the safeties and linebackers across the middle of the field.  PC is going to potentially do either or will even be coming out from the backfield like Mack or take very shallow crossing routes just past the LOS and using his speed and YAC abilities. 

 

Reich is going to have a lot of fun working with all of these options.

I am a HUGE fan of crossing routes.  I hope our team becomes crossing route FREAKS.  By doing so, the run game and deep passing game will benefit and our mismatches on the crossing routes will destroy most teams without elite pass defending LBs and Safeties.  I can't WAIT to see this play out.  If Doyle is back to full strength the mismatches will be crazy.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

 

I think it’ll be less stellar than last years but a little better than Ballard’s first draft. I’m probably in the minority in thinking this class is kind of raw as a whole, with a high ceiling of course.

I would agree it looks very raw. It might take a couple years to see what this class does. The good thing is by picking smart players it should take less time. There might be a surprise once we get to training camp at how good one of these defensive players is. Time will tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree. I’m not talking about the colts picks either. Rather the entire prospect class was rather underwhelming and that resulted in some false hype. I think we’re gonna see a lot of busts out of this class league wide


Yeah I tend to agree about the overall talent in this class. Not terrible but definitely not as deep/talented as I thought it might be. I liked the talent in the 2nd round though, for the most part. 
 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would agree it looks very raw. It might take a couple years to see what this class does. The good thing is by picking smart players it should take less time. There might be a surprise once we get to training camp at how good one of these defensive players is. Time will tell.

 

Yeah the best thing about it is that all the guys we got seem to be committed to working/getting better, have a good head on their shoulders and all that. Tell's really the only one who I've seen have some effort questions from what I've read. But I've read mixed stuff on him and I really like him as a player. Probably my favorite pick in day 3.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

There are plenty of highlights of Campbell going deep.  Maybe that's not what OSU did with him most of the time but he has the ability to stretch a defense.  

 

And so what if he's redundant with TY.   TY's got 2 years left on his contract and is turning 30 this year.  Bringing in a guy who could potentially replace him but with a few years in which he can safely develop (because we still have TY) makes loads of sense.  

 

 

It was said that Ohio State didn't use him right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

The beauty of Campbell is that he’s NOT small.   He’s not Hilton's size.   

 

Parris is 6’0” and 205.

 

Hilton is 5’10” and 180.

 

In the football world those two are not the same.   

To further drive this point home...Parris Campbell is a bigger (and faster) receiver than Reggie Wayne (6-0 198 lbs.)  Chew on that for a minute.  Not too many thought of Reggie as small.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I just double checked the Colts roster....   TY is officially  listed at 183.    So, I accidentally shorted him 3 pounds.  (Sorry, TY!)   Let's round him up to 185.    Hilton is still 20 pounds lighter than Campbell.   And that's plenty for a fast WR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

While I think they might have been a tiny bit too critical, PC is raw, and his route tree is limited. And they did say he's not really a deep threat "yet", which likely means to me they think he can be after he polishes some things.

 

He called Banogu a project, which I think is fair. 

 

Overall I didn't think it was that bad.

Honestly  Campbell  reminds me alot of hill. I watch Hill's college  highlights  when he was a running back and was amazed  at how much he has developed  as a receiver.  Campbell  will probably  develop  in a similar  way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, krunk said:

This draft may actually be better than last years. I have that feeling.

 

Huh?

 

In what way?

 

Two rookie all-pro's vs............  ????? this year?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would agree it looks very raw. It might take a couple years to see what this class does. The good thing is by picking smart players it should take less time. There might be a surprise once we get to training camp at how good one of these defensive players is. Time will tell.

Orekeke could surprise

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

 

Huh?

 

In what way?

 

Two rookie all-pro's vs............  ????? this year?

 

10 all pros according  to mcgahee  lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Honestly  Campbell  reminds me alot of hill. I watch Hill's college  highlights  when he was a running back and was amazed  at how much he has developed  as a receiver.  Campbell  will probably  develop  in a similar  way

I think Campbell could play any position (speed X, slot, or Z) if he can beat the press. I have know idea how he does smacking CBs down at the line though. Going to watch some tape on him this weekend. I can easily see him as being TY's eventual replacement. Had he now went to OSU, he likely would not have been pigeon holed like he was. OSU just always has an overabundance of O skill players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • It sounds like Collins was trying to surround himself with better support prior to joining Indy, but yes, it's great that we've got enough high-character guys on this team who can help keep him clean.  https://www.colts.com/news/jalen-collins-grateful-for-the-opportunity-with-colts   I tend to agree with you regarding who Ballard considers 'bad apples.'  Kelly was dismissed from Clemson because he snapped at coaches after being benched as a sophomore in a Spring Game (and then got in a 'minor fender-bender' in the team's parking lot, which did not lead to any police report -- sounds like he was heated when he left and probably drove a little recklessly).  Prior to joining Clemson, Kelly did send a few tweets or social media messages suggesting he was going to come in and win the starting position right away.  He was ~17-19 years old when these incidents occurred.  Sure, they're not great, but I imagine being a very highly-touted prospect and the nephew of a HOF QB comes with quite a bit of stress, especially at that age.  Not that those were great incidents, but it doesn't necessarily make him a bad person (kind of like you eluded to, these incidents are nowhere near as serious as domestic violence or endangering a child, etc.).    When he was 21, Kelly got in a scuffle with some bouncers at a nightclub in his home town.  Again, not a great incident, but keep in mind he was 21 and was probably going through some hard times as he was being scrutinized nationally for recently being kicked off Clemson and probably had a bit too much to drink with some of his hometown friends.  Not that getting in a scuffle in a nightclub is a good thing, but there are a LOT of 21 year olds who get in scuffles when they've had too much to drink and no big deal is made of it because they're 'normal' kids, not highly touted football players with a celebrity uncle.  Of course,  being a 'star' comes with responsibility and you'd like to think kids know enough to keep themselves under the radar, but I don't think it's an incident which makes him an evil person.   Then, when he was 23-24 he left a Halloween party at Von Miller's house and stumbled into the wrong house.  He didn't steal anything from the house or attempt to injure anyone in the house, from all accounts I've read... he simply had too much to drink and went in and sat on a couch, got chased out by the husband in the house and then went and slept in his SUV.  Again, not a great incident, but I don't think it's something which makes him a terrible person.  Sounds like the kid needs to understand his limits in terms of partying a bit better, but if he wasn't an NFL football player, that charge would be a pretty common thing to read in a police blotter in a large city like that.  He needs to understand, he's going to get more scrutiny as an NFL athlete and due to his past and his ties to Jim Kelly... and it sounds as though he's gotten some counseling and is doing his best to stay away from situations like that in the future.     Ballard and his staff always seem to do their due diligence before bringing players into this team.  The fact that Reich and J. Kelly were teammates for just under a decade probably also helped Chad Kelly in this situation.  I imagine Reich has known Chad for a long time (probably since he was a toddler) and had some conversations with Jim to get assurance that Chad is trying to clean up his act.  While not all of his actions were the greatest, he doesn't seem to have done anything that would be a huge deal and make him a terrible human being if he was just an average Joe.   Jalen Collins' suspensions it sounds like were 2x for smoking weed and 2x for PEDs.  Not great decisions, but again, those aren't things that make him a terrible person.  And as @Scott Pennock said, it's easy, if he slips up again, we release him and move on (well, if he slips up for PEDs again, we won't have to deal with him, the NFL will suspend him for 2 years and by that time, he'll probably be too old to come back and compete for an NFL roster spot).  To be honest, I am more concerned with the PED use than the weed from a young man in the NFL... but I don't know all the circumstances (e.g., did he just not do his research and took a supplement on the banned list by accident (this seems to happen a lot, and in other sports you are starting to see guys winning cases by proving they accidentally took a tainted substance)? was he battling a nagging injury and took something to try to help recover faster (this also happens, e.g., Andy Pettite admitted he took PEDs several times in his career, but moreso for recovery than to enhance his performance, like being put on the 10 day -DL instead of the 60 day-DL)?  Or did he actually knowingly try to cheat by taking substances to give him a major advantage over other players (all these guys take supplements, but there are supplements which are more advantageous than others)?).  I would be more worried if this guy is actually a major cheater who felt he didn't have enough raw ability to play in this league to the point he had to take banned substances... but he already is well aware, if he screws up again, his NFL days are over.   In terms of Okerere, Ballard and others have already said numerous times that they did their due diligence about his alleged incident and talked to his coaches and others around him and found no reason not to bring the guy to Indy.     If allegations turn out to be true, I doubt Ballard would bring in a guy like Tyreek Hill.  Maybe it's just my opinion, but assaulting your spouse or your child are way more serious issues about someone's character than smoking weed, pulling a McAfee and falling into a canal, or having too much to drink and accidentally stumbling into the wrong place (especially without attacking anyone or vandalizing the place).  I, for one, am happy Ballard isn't against giving guys who have not done anything very seriously wrong another chance.  Like Ballard says "Kids make mistakes."      
    • Addai was great in pass pro, but as an overall RB give me MJD anyday.    Mack is a little low, but overall hes still in the 15-20 range IMO. If healthy he definitely moves up though. 
    • I loved the "with the next pick" series. Watched it multiple times. I'll look at the site again and see if it changes my opinion. Maybe the video series on Cain will spark my interest.
    • it was just an ugly ugly ugly game.   to me, our O was the issue. you can't punt your first four possessions and then miss a FG to end the half. then you punt your first two possessions of the 2nd, fumble on your 3rd, and punt again on your 4th. When special teams is your only score for 3Qs, it's your offense lol....   our D actually held them under their average so i can't blame them too much. we actually had more sacks and QB hits they them.   Biggest issues 1. they doubled a hobbled TY, and the rest of our WR group were mediocre to begin with 2. O play calling sucked. horrible game plan from Reich, and good one from Andy. 3. our LB's played bad...  4. we abandoned the run too early (only 14 rushes the entire game). Our YPC was pretty good. 5. weather/field
    • They had the better team and were at home. KC winning doesn't surprise me at all. This upcoming season is a different story. If you ask 99% of Houston fans were they surprised we beat them in the playoffs, they would probably say yes. I wasn't, because we had the better QB. Mahomes and Luck are pretty even regarding KC and they were at home.
  • Members

    • Smoke317

      Smoke317 851

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Blueblood23

      Blueblood23 229

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • esmort

      esmort 1,518

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • markabrown96

      markabrown96 122

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nate!

      Nate! 44

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Nesjan3

      Nesjan3 934

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • DrWhom

      DrWhom 31

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • egg

      egg 597

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • 2006Coltsbestever

      2006Coltsbestever 21,064

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Mvp7

      Mvp7 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...