Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

PFF: Indianapolis Colts 2019 Draft Recap

stitches

Highlights:

- The Colts have a type of player they like on defense - long athletes

- not much reading - reaction and speed paramount, that's what they target

- Rock Ya-Sin - fits well with the system, worried about his mirror ability downfield - not an issue in this system. Instincts as good as it gets at the position. 

-Ben Banogu - project at this point, fits the mold of what the Colts want - freakishly athletic. Here's a nugget - Banogu told PFF in the pre-draft process that they didn't teach them pass-rushing moves at TCU - it was scheme over pass-rush. He was asked to stunt and loop... not a lot of one-on-one pass-rush reps. 

-Parris Campbell - their least favorite pick of the first 4-5 picks. Very redundant with TY Hilton according to Renner. Best role from the slot, not a real deep threat right now[this is the precise thing I've been saying I have a problem with PFF for in their college-to-NFL projection. They lack the imagination and are extremely conservative projecting players to do something they haven't seen them do in college, even if their skillset and athleticism suggest they might be able to do it). A lot of tools, but don't see him as a #2 receiver in this offense. 

- Bobby Okereke - longest arms of this LB draft class, reminiscent of Darius Leonard and will fit seamlessly next to him and make plays with his athleticism and length.

- Marvell Tell - possible cornerback transition with how fluid his hips are and how athletic and long he is (ridiculous 3cone). He makes some plays that require short-area quickness that are special. 

-Jackson Barton - did very well on must-pass situations, good pass-protector

UHIUTKP.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, stitches said:

Highlights:

- The Colts have a type of player they like on defense - long athletes

- not much reading - reaction and speed paramount, that's what they target

- Rock Ya-Sin - fits well with the system, worried about his mirror ability downfield - not an issue in this system. Instincts as good as it gets at the position. 

-Ben Banogu - project at this point, fits the mold of what the Colts want - freakishly athletic. Here's a nugget - Banogu told PFF in the pre-draft process that they didn't teach them pass-rushing moves at TCU - it was scheme over pass-rush. He was asked to stunt and loop... not a lot of one-on-one pass-rush reps. 

-Parris Campbell - their least favorite pick of the first 4-5 picks. Very redundant with TY Hilton according to Renner. Best role from the slot, not a real deep threat right now[this is the precise thing I've been saying I have a problem with PFF for in their college-to-NFL projection. They lack the imagination and are extremely conservative projecting players to do something they haven't seen them do in college, even if their skillset and athleticism suggest they might be able to do it). A lot of tools, but don't see him as a #2 receiver in this offense. 

- Bobby Okereke - longest arms of this LB draft class, reminiscent of Darius Leonard and will fit seamlessly next to him and make plays with his athleticism and length.

- Marvell Tell - possible cornerback transition with how fluid his hips are and how athletic and long he is (ridiculous 3cone). He makes some plays that require short-area quickness that are special. 

-Jackson Barton - did very well on must-pass situations, good pass-protector

UHIUTKP.jpg

There are plenty of highlights of Campbell going deep.  Maybe that's not what OSU did with him most of the time but he has the ability to stretch a defense.  

And so what if he's redundant with TY.   TY's got 2 years left on his contract and is turning 30 this year.  Bringing in a guy who could potentially replace him but with a few years in which he can safely develop (because we still have TY) makes loads of sense.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Banogu numbers..

57 Tkl. 18 TFL.  8.5 Sk.  10 QBH. 2 FF.

60 QB Pressures

49 Tkl.  16.5 TFL. 8.5 Sk. 7 QBH. 3 FF.

All of that was scheme and very little technique. Imagine what he's going to do with technique + scheme!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The beauty of Campbell is that he’s NOT small.   He’s not Hilton's size.   

Parris is 6’0” and 205.

Hilton is 5’10” and 180.

In the football world those two are not the same.   

Yep, I don't know why people in the media continue to call him small... he's not small. He's bigger than players like Stefon Diggs or OBJ or Antonio Brown... 

He's VERY VERY well built receiver...

• Thanks 1

Interesting factoid on Campbell...   I read somewhere last week that of the 90 passes he caught last year (yes, 90!)  only 21 traveled further than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Just 21!  Yikes, that’s not much. 

But I view that as good news, not bad. That’s why he fell to pick 59.

At the presser,  Reich said he made it a point to watch Campbell at the Combine and focused on both his rout running and his catching.   Said he came away very impressed.    

So, PC is raw.   And needs polishing.  With his physical skills that gives him a super high ceiling.   He can get a lot better.   I’ll take that at pick 59 on every draft, thank you very much!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Interesting factoid on Campbell...   I read somewhere last week that of the 90 passes he caught last year (yes, 90!)  only 21 traveled further than 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.  Just 21!  Yikes, that’s not much. 

But I view that as good news, not bad. That’s why he fell to pick 59.

At the presser,  Reich said he made it a point to watch Campbell at the Combine and focused on both his rout running and his catching.   Said he came away very impressed.    

So, PC is raw.   And needs polishing.  With his physical skills that gives him a super high ceiling.   He can get a lot better.   I’ll take that at pick 59 on every draft, thank you very much!

That's a PFF stat... and it's actually even crazier than you remember... it's out of his 111 targets only 21 were with depth of target of 10+ yards. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Yeah on Parris' size, he and Marlon are pretty similar in size. Marlon's just a tad bit heavier, or at least wants to keep his playing weight at 210. Not that Mack is a huge guy at RB, but still.

Honestly Parris looks like he could take some snaps in the backfield with Marlon.  He definitely is built like a Runing Back.  Not hard to see that's what he used to be at one point.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, krunk said:

Honestly Parris looks like he could take some snaps in the backfield with Marlon.  He definitely is built like a Runing Back.  Not hard to see that's what he used to be at one point.

He was a running back in high school I think...

He was also used on all kinds of sweeps and screens and other catch-and-run opportunities, which are glorified RB snaps... those were part of the reason his average depth of target was so low(I think about 4 yards) - because he was getting a ton of his targets at or behind the line of scrimmage. 

• Like 1

That’s a terrible take by PFF, and I am a big fan of PFF. That’s basically like the Browns saying ‘we already have Jarvis Landry, why would we want OBJ?’ Campbell has a strong grade from them, he’s one of the fastest in the draft, and he wasn’t even used as a deep threat at OSU. He projects better to the NFL game than any of our other draft picks. 

If anything the project edge rusher who graded out average, was drafted in the second round, and is being moved to a different role should be their least favorite draft pick. 

• Like 1

I don't see PC as redundant at all.  TY is going to be working the mid to deep parts of the field and constantly threatening to take the top off the D.   

Our other receivers and tight ends are going to be occupying the safeties and linebackers across the middle of the field.  PC is going to potentially do either or will even be coming out from the backfield like Mack or take very shallow crossing routes just past the LOS and using his speed and YAC abilities. 

Reich is going to have a lot of fun working with all of these options.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Those are the plays that NE and KC rode all the way to the AFC championship.   Reich likes those mid-level passes too.  High completion rate and keeps Luck clean.  We're gonna lay on teams what KC did to us last year.

• Like 1

While I think they might have been a tiny bit too critical, PC is raw, and his route tree is limited. And they did say he's not really a deep threat "yet", which likely means to me they think he can be after he polishes some things.

He called Banogu a project, which I think is fair. 

Overall I didn't think it was that bad.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Those are the plays that NE and KC rode all the way to the AFC championship.   Reich likes those mid-level passes too.  High completion rate and keeps Luck clean.  We're gonna lay on teams what KC did to us last year.

Hill killed us in the KC game with those kind of passes. He didn’t beat us deep at all. Campbell is the same type of player.

13 minutes ago, krunk said:

This draft may actually be better than last years. I have that feeling.

That would be crazy!

What i like is Ballard seems to define what skills and traits are needed and he targets players to fill that role.  The past regime seemed to say " wow, thats a great player, i'll draft him and figure out how to use him later."

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That would be crazy.

Haha.  Great minds think alike!

33 minutes ago, krunk said:

Eh let’s not count the chicks before they hatch. I like our catch but they still have to live up to this post draft hype

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Eh let’s not count the chicks before they hatch. I like our catch but they still have to live up to this post draft hype

I said I have a feeling.  Feelings aren't based on facts.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think it’ll be less stellar than last years but a little better than Ballard’s first draft. I’m probably in the minority in thinking this class is kind of raw as a whole, with a high ceiling of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I think it’ll be less stellar than last years but a little better than Ballard’s first draft. I’m probably in the minority in thinking this class is kind of raw as a whole, with a high ceiling of course.

I agree. I’m not talking about the colts picks either. Rather the entire prospect class was rather underwhelming and that resulted in some false hype. I think we’re gonna see a lot of busts out of this class league wide

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

I don't see PC as redundant at all.  TY is going to be working the mid to deep parts of the field and constantly threatening to take the top off the D.   

Our other receivers and tight ends are going to be occupying the safeties and linebackers across the middle of the field.  PC is going to potentially do either or will even be coming out from the backfield like Mack or take very shallow crossing routes just past the LOS and using his speed and YAC abilities. 

Reich is going to have a lot of fun working with all of these options.

I am a HUGE fan of crossing routes.  I hope our team becomes crossing route FREAKS.  By doing so, the run game and deep passing game will benefit and our mismatches on the crossing routes will destroy most teams without elite pass defending LBs and Safeties.  I can't WAIT to see this play out.  If Doyle is back to full strength the mismatches will be crazy.  

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I would agree it looks very raw. It might take a couple years to see what this class does. The good thing is by picking smart players it should take less time. There might be a surprise once we get to training camp at how good one of these defensive players is. Time will tell.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree. I’m not talking about the colts picks either. Rather the entire prospect class was rather underwhelming and that resulted in some false hype. I think we’re gonna see a lot of busts out of this class league wide

Yeah I tend to agree about the overall talent in this class. Not terrible but definitely not as deep/talented as I thought it might be. I liked the talent in the 2nd round though, for the most part. 

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I would agree it looks very raw. It might take a couple years to see what this class does. The good thing is by picking smart players it should take less time. There might be a surprise once we get to training camp at how good one of these defensive players is. Time will tell.

Yeah the best thing about it is that all the guys we got seem to be committed to working/getting better, have a good head on their shoulders and all that. Tell's really the only one who I've seen have some effort questions from what I've read. But I've read mixed stuff on him and I really like him as a player. Probably my favorite pick in day 3.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

There are plenty of highlights of Campbell going deep.  Maybe that's not what OSU did with him most of the time but he has the ability to stretch a defense.  

And so what if he's redundant with TY.   TY's got 2 years left on his contract and is turning 30 this year.  Bringing in a guy who could potentially replace him but with a few years in which he can safely develop (because we still have TY) makes loads of sense.  

It was said that Ohio State didn't use him right. 

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The beauty of Campbell is that he’s NOT small.   He’s not Hilton's size.   

Parris is 6’0” and 205.

Hilton is 5’10” and 180.

In the football world those two are not the same.   

To further drive this point home...Parris Campbell is a bigger (and faster) receiver than Reggie Wayne (6-0 198 lbs.)  Chew on that for a minute.  Not too many thought of Reggie as small.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just double checked the Colts roster....   TY is officially  listed at 183.    So, I accidentally shorted him 3 pounds.  (Sorry, TY!)   Let's round him up to 185.    Hilton is still 20 pounds lighter than Campbell.   And that's plenty for a fast WR.

5 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

While I think they might have been a tiny bit too critical, PC is raw, and his route tree is limited. And they did say he's not really a deep threat "yet", which likely means to me they think he can be after he polishes some things.

He called Banogu a project, which I think is fair. 

Overall I didn't think it was that bad.

Honestly  Campbell  reminds me alot of hill. I watch Hill's college  highlights  when he was a running back and was amazed  at how much he has developed  as a receiver.  Campbell  will probably  develop  in a similar  way

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Orekeke could surprise

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Honestly  Campbell  reminds me alot of hill. I watch Hill's college  highlights  when he was a running back and was amazed  at how much he has developed  as a receiver.  Campbell  will probably  develop  in a similar  way

I think Campbell could play any position (speed X, slot, or Z) if he can beat the press. I have know idea how he does smacking CBs down at the line though. Going to watch some tape on him this weekend. I can easily see him as being TY's eventual replacement. Had he now went to OSU, he likely would not have been pigeon holed like he was. OSU just always has an overabundance of O skill players.