Indianapolis Colts

With Hunt and Stewart at the 1 tech.......  do we bring in someone to compete?

Hunt seemed to get gassed a bit, last year....  Im not sold on Stewart

It would seem that our rotation at 1 tech, is bit thin

I DONT think Suh is a fit for this locker room

Anyone else we should be considering?

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Danny Shelton but I think even in NE he was getting bumped to back up

20 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Danny Shelton but I think even in NE he was getting bumped to back up

Shelton is a bit lacking on penetration capabilities.....

He is a immovable sort of guy....... I would like to have someone who can get into the backfield a bit....... 

I like Hunt, but think he needs some help

I guess I get to caught up with my old way of think you need some big bodies to stop the run. But that's not exactly true. We did a good job of penetrating and hitting guys in the back field. 

45 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Don’t know about the 1T designation anymore...Hunt is going to be in the A gap a lot but I don’t think we can call him a 1T.

At this point we seem to have interior guys who might play some on the EDGE, EDGE guys that might play some on the interior and pure EDGE guys.

To your original point, yes, it appears we have more roster work ahead to acquire a couple guys that fit the interior.  We don’t have enough numbers there yet.

• Like 3

I think he's going to bring in some help there.  Guys like Suh or Wilkerson won't be signed until May 8th when they won't count against the comp. picks.  McCoy will probably get released too.  He just might wait until cut down day and get a veteran at that time.  I think he has to make a move eventually.  

• Like 2

Hunt was a real trooper last season. 
He stank in 2017 as a run stopper. Last season pounding the A gap was just right for him and he was a real surprise. He had 4 sacks as we went 1-3. Just one the rest of the season. He definitely needs fewer snaps to be his best.
 At the high end i wouldn't be shocked if we ended up with Gerald McCoy on a  restructured 1-2 year deal with incentives.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

At the high end i wouldn't be shocked if we ended up with Gerald McCoy on a  restructured 1-2 year deal with incentives.   

I think McCoy is more 3 tech than 1...  but.....MAYBE he could play in this defense at a rotational spot with Hunt........  

The guy is good....

• Like 3

I think we are not as set as we'd like to be. In fact I kind of think this is the position with the biggest potential for improvement on the roster. I don't really think Hunt is a 1 tech. He's much better when he's shooting gaps from the 3tech. I like Grover, but he does need to take a step forward this year if he's going to be anything resembling long-term solution for us at the position. 

I kind of want us to add Suh, but I understand why Ballard would avoid him. Danny Shelton on a 1 year deal would be nice addition too. In any case, I do not think we are done adding talent. IMO Ballard is waiting for the compensatory pick calculation deadline to pass before we add more players, just in case we somehow manage to add a compensatory 7th or something. Some other team needs to add Inman for 5-6M so he would cancel out the Funchess addition. :) 

How about Sly Williams? He did well in Wade Philips' 1-gap 3-4, he is 30 years old, he won't mind playing on a 1 year deal.

Or, we just go light on DL and have Ziggy Ansah signed and let him play in the middle with his long arms. :) 

I'm going to guess we're not done in FA. We still have a considerable lead in terms of salary cap remaining. The next closest at #2 is still almost 20M behind. I'd bet on another iDL late in the game.

• Like 1

I think McCoy is the missing piece to the DL rotation. Get him and let's do this.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2019 at 6:12 AM, MikeCurtis said:

I don’t think Hunts best position is the 1-Tech.   He filled in for Woods when he got hurt and missed the last few games of the season.

Otherwise I think he played mostly 3-Tech and DE during the season.   I’d be good bringing in another player for the nose. 

• Thanks 1

To the OP.  No we are not set.   Definitely a position to be upgraded in FA.   Just don’t know who until after cuts are made.  

If I remember correctly, when Al Woods got hurt, they did that unique double-3 technique, lining two guys up in either gap of the center.  Don't know if they're going to continue that or find somebody to do the pure 1 technique.  Kinda why I had mocked Lawrence, but that's water under.  We'll just have to see what they do.  I don't think we have anybody that could play a 1 tech with authority.

They're good to go. A big fat dude stuck in the middle of the defense isn't gonna do anything for the DeShaun Watson's or Patrick Mahomes' of the league...and well, they're the ones we need to beat. Ballard knows this, or he would have addressed the need in the draft. Instead, he did nothing, because it's a non issue. They were 8th last year against the run, and got more athletic and with another year, probably more skilled, so one could assume they'll be better. 1-Tech doesn't even really exist in this defense. Flus is playing chess, not 1980's Ditka Checkers. 

On 5/1/2019 at 12:41 PM, MikeCurtis said:

I think McCoy is more 3 tech than 1...  but.....MAYBE he could play in this defense at a rotational spot with Hunt........  

The guy is good....

Having two guys pound the A gap worked very well for us.
No reason to change that i would expect. Jihad Ward was at 295lbs last season.
That is enough size to hold up inside. We seem to have so many highly motivated guys that will work hard to get better that he could be the one to step up in the rotation. It would be nice to see Grover muscle up and slim down a little to be his best. He has some ability, we just need more. If either one of those two don't look the part that would make a move necessary i would think. I hope they do of course.

5 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

They're good to go. A big fat dude stuck in the middle of the defense isn't gonna do anything for the DeShaun Watson's or Patrick Mahomes' of the league...and well, they're the ones we need to beat. Ballard knows this, or he would have addressed the need in the draft. Instead, he did nothing, because it's a non issue. They were 8th last year against the run, and got more athletic and with another year, probably more skilled, so one could assume they'll be better. 1-Tech doesn't even really exist in this defense. Flus is playing chess, not 1980's Ditka Checkers. 

Grover Stewart is still here...and given the rate he has shed others from the roster and considering recent comments by Ballard about Stewart...that all seems significant.

Its never gonna be about big fat dudes in this defense but we aren’t going into camp without more IDL than we have either. 

• Like 1

Stewart is a big nose tackle, he might make the team but i doubt he is still here at this time next year

CBS talking head said the Colts are #1 likely destination for Suh.

We have plenty of cap for a short term deal.

I would not mind Suh. A lot of people talking about his locker room presence which is obviously chief in Ballards mind but he'd be just what we need in IDL.

The only true 1T we have is Stewart. But we are loaded at 3T. Looks like we're going to go fairly small across the IDL. I expect Hunt, Stewart, and Ward to move over in sub packages and fill the spot. 

All I know is the battle starts in the trenches. So if these guys can't hold their own don't look for the back half to stud it up

McCoy checks all the boxes for this team, Suh does not. 

If/when McCoy gets released I'd be shocked if Ballard doesn't take a good long look at him.

• Like 1